As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Local distributor had to cancel my store's Bandai order for next month because they were the only ones who ordered any. C'mon, Big Hobby, let me give money to my store!

...No, I can't afford that PG Red Frame Kai.

That... really sucks. :( Anything in particular you were after?

I'm not actually sure what was on the order, but my next projects are the Core Gundam II G-3 Color with the Fake Nu Unit and Weapons, and some sort of Frame Arms Girl build with the upcoming Expansion Armor Type-E and Knight Master Sword packs.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Gotta say, the only part I really dislike on that PGU Gundam is the chest vents lighting up different colors. Seems like an effect transplanted from the Unicorn / Exia without much regard for the original design. Like it looks "wrong" coming out of this particular Gundam, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    How common is it for a p-bandai kit to get another run?

I assume not very but the Woundwort got like 3 so idk.

Feel bad about missing out on the Mudrock

pbandais seem to get reprints about 2ish years apart unless they're particularly popular

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Holy crap, that PGU Gundam is wild. 3D metallic stickers? I assume the kitchen sink is stored under the backpack.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The video shows color changing LEDs are used.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, virtual-NYCC is happening right now (man I wish I were at a real NYCC), and Bluefin has a bunch of new kits, as well as a giveaway lottery thing:
    https://www.bluefinbrands.com/nycc.html?___store=default
    Including: a transparent black Haro ball.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Galbaldy Beta went together almost too quick to really be satisfying, but it's a very solid kit. Tight joints, stuff snaps together very firmly. Good construction

• Options
    I'm building the Sen-Ti-Nel Plaiobot Gurren Lagann, and it's certainly very fuckin' cool, but it's also mmmn, making me second guess a pre-order for their upcoming Lazengann kit. The plastic is very nice, but the color separation is weak (though there are some pre-painted parts! But there's no yellow/gold plastic, all of that is a sticker...) maybe HG tier, but it costs more than an RG. The sprues are laid out very oddly, feels like there is a lot of wasted space. The tolerances on joints can feel way too tight, and then a lot of surfaces recommend glue (!) to fit together.

Again, very cool to get a nice looking (tho not particularly screen accurate) Gurren Lagann, but it comes with a buncha headaches.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Galbaldy Beta went together almost too quick to really be satisfying, but it's a very solid kit. Tight joints, stuff snaps together very firmly. Good construction

Update on this: the Galbaldy is simple and clean enough that I'm going to experiment with some weathering for the first time

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    An Eastern european does his first gundam kit and weathers it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJRtnQvsOM

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The gang's all here.
    (Sorry Weissy)

cth5g8crjhck.png

The Nu wasn't nearly as impressive as the Sazabi, Char should've won... if not for the whole planet killing meteor idea, anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    What happened to the Nu's fin funnels? Or the shoulder on your FAZZ?

Also, your Unicorn looks like it just got turned down when asking someone to prom.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    What happened to the Nu's fin funnels? Or the shoulder on your FAZZ?

Also, your Unicorn looks like it just got turned down when asking someone to prom.

Weighed it down too much, wouldn't stand.
    (Not sure on the second...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's not a gunpla, but man do I want a gunpla of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yj876SWQGs

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm still broken up about missing the metal build Barbatos Lupus Rex.

I wanted to use my tax return on it but covid delayed it to hell and back and I didn't have the money, and now theres none around besides scalpers charging $250+ for it

edit: of course I post this and then maybe think up a plan almost immediately

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I got a resin recast part of the glowy Unchained eyes effect part from that Metal Build Lupus Rex and have no goddamned idea how they attach on to the Gunpla of it! There's a very vague instruction diagram but I'm leaning towards "glue"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I got a resin recast part of the glowy Unchained eyes effect part from that Metal Build Lupus Rex and have no goddamned idea how they attach on to the Gunpla of it! There's a very vague instruction diagram but I'm leaning towards "glue"

I saw a kit like that but it said it only worked with the MG Barbatos

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

All snapped together, he looks pretty great out of the box IMO! Some of the joints are still way too stiff, but turns out there's not many parts that need glue.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    For weathering - do y'all recommend putting it straight on the plastic or doing a clear coat -> weathering -> clear coat?

• Options
    There's so many different ways of weathering, you'll have to let us know what type you plan on using?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think it's usually done over a clear base coat, but way outside my knowledge

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Uh, stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/LR6L-0BKATU

https://youtu.be/5QfdzvoW4Ms

Not the more advanced battle damage they get into, just the "bare metal" look on some areas

Second guy says you can do it either onto a painted model or right onto the plastic but I just like to hear how y'all have done it

I'm using all Tamiya paints, flat aluminum and matte clear

• Options
    I only do that type of weathering on painted models. But that's because I like to combine it with a pre-shaded look. You can dry brush right onto bare plastic as long as you top coat it when done.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Hobby Volt is a neat small YouTube channel focused on gunpla. She is doing a contest, and I figured I would share it here. Check out some of her other videos for some excellent little tips and nuggets of advice.

https://youtu.be/_tpwKb89quY

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Has anyone been able to preorder the PG Gramps?

• Options
    I'm hoping to get an Xbox Series X in November, so not spending money on the new PG yet. I'm sure I will get it next year.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Not yet.

My local store talked to their bluefin rep and found it was being delayed to April 2021, and therefore was not in their system yet. I've marked myself down as wanting a pre-order, but only in that unofficial capacity.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Athenor wrote: »

Not yet.

My local store talked to their bluefin rep and found it was being delayed to April 2021, and therefore was not in their system yet. I've marked myself down as wanting a pre-order, but only in that unofficial capacity.

Is this what you guys were talking about? I probably won't pre-order with them, but they had it up last week.
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/138922

Edit: The reason I didn't order from them is that they recently got into the whole model sales business so not sure where they are getting their supply. I would guess maybe Bluefin since they get other Bandai stuff, but not sure.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Gundam Planet had preorders up very briefly a little while ago. They sold out in under a hour despite their site getting slammed hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    USAG has second wave pre-orders up. For April 2021.

https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/new/products/pg-1-60-rx-78-2-unleashed-2-0

Promo code GBGW15 brings it down to $234 ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    yg6qhkxc3t6x.jpg

Finished the MG Barbatos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nah, my local store directly talks to Bluefin. I'm suspecting the early pre-orders, like Gundam Planet, are imports. That lines up with April 2021 being the US launch.

The other thing that came out of talking with my store? Learning that the Perfect Grade Banshee Norn is out of stock with Bluefin and awaiting a reprint.

... Which means they are perfectly okay with me going to another store and ordering it. (I've been friends with my store's manager longer than he's been an employee there. I wanted to ask him if it was okay that I betrayed him first. :D )

Soooo... I now have 1 PG on hand, 1 on order to ship soon, and 1 on order to ship next year.

Why did I decide to do this to myself?

• Options
    Considering all the bells and whistles they're cramming into it, the new PG grandpa is kind of a crazy good deal, as far as PGs go. Not surprised at all it's selling out everywhere.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i was in a gunpla-ing mood and didn't want to work on any of my current builds

so i started a new one!

8y12r1utrmim.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    In this week's episode of "Ian Plays Robot Dolly Dressup":

z2gwfQk.jpg
    XSL0h7R.jpg
    In spite of Koto's best efforts to keep me from fitting everything together, I'm finally approaching a spot I'm happy with on Architect. Kinda regretting going for the dark metallic paint so early since I wound up rearranging everything again, but it's not a bad color and I may commit to it later.

lBlrjgJ.jpg
    n8fY5Fo.jpg
    Wish I felt my Materia was going so well. She's still cool but looks kind of incomplete - too much "rigging" and not enough armor. I do have a really neat pair of shoulder pads from the EX Armor Set B but it's A) a different aesthetic and B) reserved for my next build. Really wishing USAGS, GP and even Koto's store had more MSG sets in stock.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I wonder if 30mm stuff is compatible with those? Would give you a ton more options.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I opened and looked through my PG Unicorn.

I shouldn't have done that. While I know the LED kits are coming soon, just.. seeing the parts and recognizing them from my RG, and seeing all the potential for panel lining...

Then there was this mysterious white cardboard piece encased in another piece. Like.. I had no clue what it was.

And then...

AXBGcPYh.jpg

I'm so glad they did this. Properly painted. I'll need to do a little bit of panel lining, but still!

*sigh* I need, NEED to work on other stuff in my backlog before I hit another perfect grade, and now that I see the base for this.. I NEED to clear room.

Kinda a shame it doesn't have the weights that Perfect Strike did, but given that it is going to be illuminated from the inside, that makes sense.

• Options
    Not only did they paint it they stuck a magnet in them so they stick together. Just be carefully putting them I cracked the plastic on one of them on a test fit cause I thought they went in further.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Not only did they paint it they stuck a magnet in them so they stick together. Just be carefully putting them I cracked the plastic on one of them on a test fit cause I thought they went in further.

I'd heard mention of a magnet, but I ran the sealed runner along my laptop (which has a bunch of magnetic points) and didn't feel anything. So I'm glad to hear that! And I hope it continues through to the Banshee and the Phenex.

This discussion has been closed.