As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to see the finished product. If you feel like posting it, that is.

I don't know if I'm gonna do a step by step breakdown like last time. That added a LOT of time to the overall build. I also haven't decided if I'm doing both at once.

But I promise, the end results of all 3 of them will be in this thread or its successor. :D

Just... gotta sell shit, and get through some of my other backlog first.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Dalong.net has a page for the LEDs with lots of build and wire management pictures.

There are alt modes on the Bandai lights. Pressing the power button right after flipping the power switch lights the Gundam up differently and holding it down makes it automatically light on and off.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Dalong.net has a page for the LEDs with lots of build and wire management pictures.

There are alt modes on the Bandai lights. Pressing the power button right after flipping the power switch lights the Gundam up differently and holding it down makes it automatically light on and off.

Yeah, I made sure to go through the instructions with the Google translate app with a fine toothed comb, and I am going to be exceedingly careful with them. This was just a smoke test.

God I am getting excited. Probably easy to tell that.

Edit: Oh damn, those pictures are MASSIVELY better at showing off just what the manual is suggesting!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Well I have just dropped $160 on two P-Bandai kits which I missed the pre-order windows for: HG Gundam Plutone and the MG Re-GZ Unicorn version.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    The pants thief has struck again!

This time he stole some pants with lots of moveable thrusters.
    bk4wl6l1n13y.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hey, the third hand setup I picked up is working exactly as well as I'd hoped, for exactly the application I hoped! I'm leaving the jaw covers on to make it softer so it won't bite into the plastic, and I am of course having to figure out how everything works together, but... i'm still quite impressed. This is going to be a godsend on decal work.

GDbHrOoh.jpg

Edit: So many small pieces! I thought this was a high grade!

Athenor on
  • Options
    Whelp.

My output dropped, WAY too much around 5:30 for REASONS, but.. I did get a decent amount through the kit as a whole. And I'm liking how it is turning out. I picked up a set of diamond files from Army Painter, and they do a wonderful job and let me push and pull them in unique ways that helps a ton with the nature of the kits. But they also leave scratches super easily. I need to get better at that, but luckily I can only really notice it with direct light on them.

I need rest.

7TSFrZ7h.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Took about 2 and a half hours to finish up the legs and hips. Still need to complete the shield and gun... But overall, a fun kit! Lots of small pieces to allow the articulation. Could probably use some glue or fusing together the joints. I wish I knew where my old grandpa high grade was, so I could compare. Last I saw him, he was riding a dino.

UooCNQ6h.jpg

wxIVgIyh.jpg

U2KygACh.jpg

(That casual leaning pose was WAY harder to pull off than it should've been.)

tMN8D7bh.jpg

and that one's 100% free-standing!

Edit: This test run of the new workspace (that I can leave up during big projects) has succeeded with flying colors.

Which means I can move onto bigger projects!

xZJxPMRh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo, that desk setup is very nice! I'm jealous, I usually build on the floor like an animal.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yo, that desk setup is very nice! I'm jealous, I usually build on the floor like an animal.

Thanks! It's actually an old piece of solid wood furniture.. kind of. See, it folds out to like 14 feet long. It was given to me for free by a friend when I first moved into my apartment, and it's one of the main reasons I'm not moving myself out without the help of a moving company. It needs maintenance. For the longest time, it served as my TV stand in my living room. Then I tucked it away back in my office when I got some Ikea furniture. And in the last month or so, it dawned on me that I could just pull it out one leaf width and use it as a desk/workspace.

If I wasn't afraid of the mess and it being an apartment, I kinda sorta wonder if I could use it for airbrushing with a proper hood/vent...

Athenor on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Recently discovered this channel, seems underappreciated!

https://youtu.be/6BVA5Y6vUkc

This builder tends to drill out pathways for custom LED work, and in each video I've watched so far he shows every step of the process, the paints used, tools required etc. It's been pretty inspiring, and definitely makes me wanna give it a go. He mostly does gunpla, but also some weirder model kits like this Gypsy Danger and Kotobukiya's Metal Gears (which is how I found it - he put some great lights into the Sahelanthropus)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Quick little bit of evening work on some EXTREMELY small pieces, and we're all done here!

It kind of blows my mind that the shield is the most detailed part of the model, and in a way that under normal circumstances, you'd never see it!

lbUz5Qoh.jpg

Still, it cuts a striking image once assembled.

xpAl6a1h.jpg

S5UQj8Wh.jpg

IcJxYxth.jpg

Whelp. Time to put it with my other 1/144 scale models! Like the Moon, Delta Kai, and Narrative A-packs before him, he's holding his own with the RGs.

ZtlICA2h.jpg

• Options
    Recently discovered this channel, seems underappreciated!

This builder tends to drill out pathways for custom LED work, and in each video I've watched so far he shows every step of the process, the paints used, tools required etc. It's been pretty inspiring, and definitely makes me wanna give it a go. He mostly does gunpla, but also some weirder model kits like this Gypsy Danger and Kotobukiya's Metal Gears (which is how I found it - he put some great lights into the Sahelanthropus)
    Thanks for the great find! It’s really impressive, and then even have a video on how to put LEDs in a Beargguy and Petitgguy!
    I might try that out, though I will not go the paint route :wink:

I hope @Athenor doesn’t see this :
    https://youtu.be/WCru3KFpbbw

Oops! :eek: :twisted: :wink:

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    just need to get this out of my brain so
    6nsptthl2bx2.jpg

rnhd4uq307d1.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Is this Metal Structure 1/60 Sazabi a kit? It’s gonna be massive.

• Options
    Since it doesn't look like Japan Post is going to reopen shipments to the U.S. anytime soon I said fuck it and paid for DHL who delivered in 2 days.

0akfaa7ecndi.jpg

The backlog grows...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Is this Metal Structure 1/60 Sazabi a kit? It’s gonna be massive.

it's a figure

they did a nu gundam which was the first of the line that came out last year

https://youtu.be/AKDW4jB1x6g

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Metal structures are preassembled but look badass. Also keep in mind the Nu Gundam costed like $1000 and sold out super fast.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Since it doesn't look like Japan Post is going to reopen shipments to the U.S. anytime soon I said fuck it and paid for DHL who delivered in 2 days.

0akfaa7ecndi.jpg

The backlog grows...

OH FUCK!!!

Two sets of cannons?

I cannot, CANNOT wait to see what you do with that behemoth. I love mine, but your attention to detail and the like is just next level.

• Options
    I actually teased the quad cannons back when I posted the paint job pics of the first set a couple months back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm a liar cause the Maganacs were still in stock when I got payed so I am going to be building the same kit 4 more times after all

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm a liar cause the Maganacs were still in stock when I got payed so I am going to be building the same kit 40 more times after all

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Placed a P-Bandai order. Mercurius + Vayeate Twin Pack and Leo Full Weapons Set. Also waiting on USAGS to ship a 30MM Cielnova and EXA Attack Submarine, Fake Nu stuff and Koto armor set.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I have weathered and top coated my first model, I'll post some photos when it's cured and reassembled

Edit: the matte coat already makes a world of difference, it totally removes that plasticky look

I think I went a bit overboard with the dry brushing in some spots but for a first try I'm pretty happy with it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Me: All I've done this year is long painted projects I should do something quick and easy.

*1 week later after painting inner frame and gold parts.*

iebtgtkpplbc.jpg

Well 1 week wasn't that long.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    holy fuck that's awesome

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    It is done

https://imgur.com/a/nBQzNSx

edit: if you want details, it's the HGUC Galbaldy Beta, the bare metal effect was dry brushing some Tamiya flat aluminum on exposed edges and the pitting on the shield was just lightly dabbing some cheap black acrylic paint on with a sponge. hit it with three layers of Tamiya flat clear coat, let it cure 24 hours.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    That weathering is really nice.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That is excellently done! Proper wear and tear! Lovely!

• Options
    I just saw Gundam F91 on the GundamInfo Youtube channel.

Man, the story was a bit hard to follow, jumped all over the place, but after I read on Wikipedia that it was originally planned as a series, but they ended up mashing everything together into a two hour movie.

I might just be inclined to build my first MG that I have in my backlog :wink:

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Which version for the MG Carl? The first or the 2.0?

The first one is, I think, Katoki taking a pass over it (apparently he tended to do a once over on a bunch of kits back in the day, before Version Ka kits were a thing), while the 2.0 is more faithful to Okawara’s original line art.

The original is also more fragile and has less parts separation and detailing compared to the 2.0, given the almost decade, if not more, span between them.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    also the more I think about it, as much of a mess as it is, I think I honestly prefer F91 over Char’s Counterattack as a film.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    It's less depressing, if nothing else.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah F91 sure felt like a whole series crammed into a 2 hour film.

• Options
    The pacing in F91 hits ludicrous speed at some parts but it hits all the main plot points you expect to see in a Gundam main series in a self contained 2 hour film. I did like that the goal of movie was GTFO away from the conflict area and not resolve it with the child solider piloted Gundam being a 1 man army.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It is done

https://imgur.com/a/nBQzNSx

edit: if you want details, it's the HGUC Galbaldy Beta, the bare metal effect was dry brushing some Tamiya flat aluminum on exposed edges and the pitting on the shield was just lightly dabbing some cheap black acrylic paint on with a sponge. hit it with three layers of Tamiya flat clear coat, let it cure 24 hours.

You weren't kidding when you said it didn't look like plastic! It really looks like quite a few layers of paint were slapped onto an industrial / combat robot, and that has worn away with time. Incredible work. :D

• Options
    Given that the F91 is one of the gundam I own, and one I'm not too thrilled with overall, maybe I should watch the show to get a better sense of just WTF is up with it.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Given that the F91 is one of the gundam I own, and one I'm not too thrilled with overall, maybe I should watch the show to get a better sense of just WTF is up with it.

There's no show! It's just that movie

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

There's no show! It's just that movie

That's what I meant, sorry. :)

It wouldn't be gundam without a ton of civilian deaths in the first few minutes, would it?

This discussion has been closed.