As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    Another Gunpla down. This time HG God Gundam.
    ppf5kkH.jpg

HD548Vj.jpg

8ednWq0.jpg

scVh2cs.jpg

FTEIJQh.jpg
    "This hand of mine is burning red!"

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I've decided what the next model I'm gonna work on is.... but first, some maintenance needs doing.

tmtQj0Ch.jpg?1

I bought the FAZZ for two reasons:

First, I really like just insane amounts of weaponry.

Second, the ZZ was the "first" gunpla I got. I had been buying zoids HMM kits on and off for a while, and I think it was this thread that recommended me the ZZ as a really high quality transforming model. It always bummed me that I couldn't show it off in gundam mode and superfortress mode. Well, by getting a FAZZ, I can do both!

... However, again, the ZZ was my first gunpla. And that was back when I didn't do panel lining or other maintenance. It's also been on my shelves for a few years, which means it needs a good dusting.

So that's what I intend to do. Dust and clean it, panel line it, MAYBE decal it, and then tranform it into its vehicle mode. Though the latter might wait until the FAZZ is done, so I can compare them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The ZZ Ver Ka looks great just panel lined, but it really pops once you add the decals. They just add so much detail and visual appeal.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I have finished applying the decals to my Gouf Flight Type model. Later this week: a little bit of detail painting to finish off this kit. I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far, despite the fact that a few decals got torn...

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    I think that's just a Freedom, which is different from the Strike and the Strike Freedom.

Seed has bad naming conventions.

lemme tell you about the Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty Armed Keeper of Unity or the Dauntless Obliterator Magnificent.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm absolutely in love with those shoulders and all the striping! That looks fantastic!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    The ZZ Ver Ka looks great just panel lined, but it really pops once you add the decals. They just add so much detail and visual appeal.

Well, in that case...

It is likely a good thing I spent all freaking afternoon cleaning up and hunting to find this:

8ibXUaYl.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I know it ain't for everyone, but I adore the Katoki Ver decal style. One of my "sometime down the line" builds once I get good enough is painting up my Kotobukiya Sahelanthropus and adding a Ver Ka style decal scheme to it. Actually tracked down the in game texture file for the Metal Gear Sahelanthropus and discovered that most are illegible white lines anyway, but there's some cool details that are very achievable with generic decals;

FronWlx.jpg

Like the 01-06 on the backpack, or the TEST on the shield. I can totally do that!

...in several years when I'm good enough to do that camo paint job and rusty weathering.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the technique I've heard for geometric camo like that is doing a base color coat, cutting out masking tape in the right shapes and applying them to the spots you want to stay that color, doing a second color coat, cutting out more masking tape shapes and applying those in the spots you want to stay THAT color, doing the third color layer, then taking off the masking tape and voila

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The camo is mostly intimidating because it's gonna have to be one of the final paint steps, because due to some bad seamlines, there's parts of the kit I'm gonna have to paint, finish, then mask and seal inside other parts. I got like 4 pages of notes on the dang thing, and still not actively entertaining the idea of starting any time soon. ;P

Also since discovering that Otaku Builder channel a few weeks back, I now wanna include LEDs like he did. But ideally with colour changes for the cockpit (the light in the beak is blue when the mech activates, yellow while searching, red during combat) and I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    Sooooooo...

Something I may have wished about in here might actually exist?

For a while now, I've wanted some kind of gundam in 1/72 scale so I could properly show how gundams are scaled to my Zoids. I like having 1/72 scale references, basically.

Well, I just saw a seller ask about interest on a 1/72 Rodams. Having no clue what that was, i checked online... and it looks quite cool, but also 3rd party?

Does anyone know anything about this kit and if it is worth.. well, a heck of a lot?

• Options
    cool design! it's not listed in the gundam wiki so I think it might be purely a cool fan design

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cool design! it's not listed in the gundam wiki so I think it might be purely a cool fan design

Yeah, gunpla reddit says it is a 3rd party manufacturer. Plastic a bit softer than bandai's. Still looking into it.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    that's basically mechanicore's GP03 With the Serial Numbers Filed Off

ymmv on those things
    https://youtu.be/9qvll4UiIuk
    https://youtu.be/bxzC3VjsX3I

expect a significant amount of sanding and gluing required

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Oh boy I finally got my relief check

aaand now I have a Koto order on the way

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Going back and panel lining my ZZ is making me appreciate the time I put into my newer kits these last couple of years. Sure, they may not be perfect, but at least the surfaces are flat!

Also there is far less detail to panel line than I thought. It is very blocky.

• Options
    About an hour and a half, and roughly 12 decals (1 row).

Heffling, I know this is an awesome aesthetic, but there are SO MANY DECALS!!!! :D

zPotQETh.jpg

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Super Robot Wars T fuckin' rules. Loving it so far. So many cool mecha already!

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I fell down the rabbit hole last week that is called SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (Asian PS4 version, with English subtitles, from 2016) which basically has almost every suit (and every character) from the Universal Century in it.

So many series to play...
    So many characters to unlock...
    So ... many ... suits ... to ... unlock ...

Do you want a Zeon cruiser whose crew all has the surname Zabi in it, with Char in the Neo Zeong, and other Zeon aces in the most fun One-Eyed suits? You can do that!
    Do you want the White Base filled with all female crew and pilots, and have every sort of GM in it! You can!

And as a result, the sequel (of some sorts) called SD Gundam G Genesis Cross Rays (Asian PS4 version, with English subtitles, from 2019, also available on Switch) has also been bought :wink: That ones has (almost) all the suits from Wing, Seed, 00, and IBO in them.

I think I need to make an Asian account just to buy the DLCs for stuff like the Turn A...
    DLCs bought on another account still work when you play the disc on your regular account, right?

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So... does anyone else not actually bother with the warnings/mechanics decals on their RGs and MGs unless they show up in the show itself?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I fell down the rabbit hole last week that is called SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (Asian PS4 version, with English subtitles, from 2016) which basically has almost every suit (and every character) from the Universal Century in it.

So many series to play...
    So many characters to unlock...
    So ... many ... suits ... to ... unlock ...

Do you want a Zeon cruiser whose crew all has the surname Zabi in it, with Char in the Neo Zeong, and other Zeon aces in the most fun One-Eyed suits? You can do that!
    Do you want the White Base filled with all female crew and pilots, and have every sort of GM in it! You can!

And as a result, the sequel (of some sorts) called SD Gundam G Genesis Cross Rays (Asian PS4 version, with English subtitles, from 2019, also available on Switch) has also been bought :wink: That ones has (almost) all the suits from Wing, Seed, 00, and IBO in them.

I think I need to make an Asian account just to buy the DLCs for stuff like the Turn A...
    DLCs bought on another account still work when you play the disc on your regular account, right?

Is this a bad time to point out cross rays is on Steam in North America (if applicable), DLC included?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    It is never a bad time to point out that a turn-based strategy game is available in your country on a platform of your choice where you can collect hundreds of mobile suits which some of you have built/might build in Gunpla form.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I can't remember if I've said it before but I'll say it again.

I want an SD Woundwort. Especially if there's also an SD Inle.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    How is Woundwort even pronounced? Is it wound, as in "I wound up and pitched the ball," or wound, as in "this wound is taking forever to heal."

[edit] God, English is such a dumb language.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    I've been saying wound as in injury but I didn't consider wound as in past tense of wind

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Well it's named after the Watership Down rabbit who is named after a plant.

So however you say the name of the plant I guess.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Apparently the plant is named woundwort because it was used by multiple ancient cultures to dress wounds received in battle.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    So... does anyone else not actually bother with the warnings/mechanics decals on their RGs and MGs unless they show up in the show itself?

Yeah. I'll use the insignia or unit designation decals but a thousand tiny warning signs is just too finicky and busies up the look of the kit too much for me

• Options
    I think it looks great but lordy do I not have the patience.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Order of operations is decals, then topcoat, then panel wash, right?

• Options
    I believe so if you are doing enamel based washes.

• Options
    I've been saying wound as in injury but I didn't consider wound as in past tense of wind

I'm not sure where to congratulate you or condemn you for replying to my post complaining about two words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently with another example of the same.

• Options
    Nightly update? Nightly update!

I'm actually further along than this at this point, but not by much.

I have learned, however, how to be more efficient with this. If my process is:
    * Wet decal
    * Apply blue gunk to model
    * Transfer detail
    * Adjust decal
    * Wait for things to dry a bit
    * Apply more blue gunk to decal & model
    * Wait for things to dry even more
    * Apply red gunk to decal & model

... It's obviously a time consuming process! So hey, why not assembly line it where possible?

zXIds3Eh.jpg

I think I need to swear off Ver. Ka models though. Just so many little circles with warning text by them...

And then I look at my perfect grades and cry even more.

Though it does make me wonder: How do other people do their decals? I'm starting to think that going forward, I should apply the decals as I go, to help break up the monotony. Basically apply the decals after doing my panel lining. I haven't decided though.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    On the 1 and a half real grade kits I've done I've done pen panel lining as I assemble, then decals on each section as it's done unless it's gonna be under something else which they usually point out in the instructions. Doing all the decals at once at the end would feel daunting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. This is just warm up / touching up an old model.

• Options
    Man, the Gundam YouTube channel nuked like everything. Theres nothing up on there if you're in the US except for ads and F91.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2020
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man, the Gundam YouTube channel nuked like everything. Theres nothing up on there if you're in the US except for ads and F91.

??? GundamInfo? I’m in the US and there’s still a ton of videos available far as I can tell. All the build series, the new divers ova, endless waltz, other stuff?

Whippy on
  • Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

??? GundamInfo? I’m in the US and there’s still a ton of videos available far as I can tell. All the build series, the new divers ova, endless waltz, other stuff?

I clicked on a couple and they all said not available in your country.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Everything seems to be in place in the YouTube app on my end, if that helps your troubleshooting

...WHEN DID THEY START A DUB FOR RERISE?!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.