As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well, in F91 and (much more so) in Victory the Earth Federation is way, way less powerful/important than it is in first UC.

I kind of wonder if they ever think about retconning F91 out of the timeline, cause if you jump straight from Unicorn to Victory it makes a bit more sense.

F91 is so weird cause it feels like its 100 years after CCA but its actually close enough that people from 0079 that didn't die in a war are probably still kicking around. 80 year old Bright is probably sitting in a park somewhere trying to talk kids into fighting each other during that movie.

We'll have to see what they do after Hathway

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    God willing they'll animate Crossbone

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

I mean, yeah, but then they're certainly not going to touch/change the events of F91 most likely.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    crossbone is set mostly around jupiter, right?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    crossbone is set mostly around jupiter, right?

yes, but they bounce back to the earth sphere once or twice in the varying sequels.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I think keeping F91 is fine; geopolitically it’s fairly self contained to the Side, and you can read the EF stuff as indicative of the fade of their political power

Like I swear I remember the entire bridge crew considers deserting because of how the federation is giving them NO help as things go to hell with Cosmo Babylonia

Where in the earth sphere is their colony? It seems fairly close to lunar orbit given the end of the film

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also as far as I know there’s still plans for “Unicorn 2” once COVID becomes less of an issue

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    F91 is so weird cause it feels like its 100 years after CCA but its actually close enough that people from 0079 that didn't die in a war are probably still kicking around. 80 year old Bright is probably sitting in a park somewhere trying to talk kids into fighting each other during that movie.

out of the surviving white base crew, job john is the only one they've had show up in that time period, he goes on to develop mobile suits in F90

crossbone should stay unanimated imo

like maybe they can get something out of the first series, the sequels are too bonkers to see the light of day anime

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Lanz wrote: »
    I think keeping F91 is fine; geopolitically it’s fairly self contained to the Side, and you can read the EF stuff as indicative of the fade of their political power

Like I swear I remember the entire bridge crew considers deserting because of how the federation is giving them NO help as things go to hell with Cosmo Babylonia

Where in the earth sphere is their colony? It seems fairly close to lunar orbit given the end of the film

Frontier Side, which formerly was Side 4. That one is at Lagrange L1 (so very close to the moon, yeah), but was at L5 during the OYW.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The thing about F91 is that the conflict is *incredibly small scale* by UC standards.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The realignment of the sides is SO damned confusing as a newbie to UC... I swear.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    The realignment of the sides is SO damned confusing as a newbie to UC... I swear.

it's entirely trivial minutiae so i wouldn't get hung up on it
    Also as far as I know there’s still plans for “Unicorn 2” once COVID becomes less of an issue

from what i understand the way "UC2" was used in context, it may have actually been referring to the live action movie or a different project entirely, not necessarily related to Unicorn

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I want more Thunderbolt, damn it.

• Options

like misc said, it isn't important overall. just window dressing

the short and sweet version is after the OYW blew everything to hell they eventually reorganized bits and pieces of what wasn't destroyed and moved them around some, and built some new colonies as well

• Options
    edited December 2020

And 0079 is finally streaming so you can watch along!

edit: also next weeks ep is free since they will be starting Gundam X (a show I don't know a god damn thing about) and their new back up show, Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig!

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020

it's entirely trivial minutiae so i wouldn't get hung up on it

from what i understand the way "UC2" was used in context, it may have actually been referring to the live action movie or a different project entirely, not necessarily related to Unicorn

At the time it was said to be a live action series, right?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So, Ath!

How do you plan on one-upping increasing your assembly time by panel-lining inner frame pieces that will never be seen?

Why, by decaling inner parts that will never be seen, of course!

Jfn5arrh.jpg

And in the process, I spilled even more of my Micro Sol, which means my throat and eyes are on fire. I tried my best to clean it up, but.. ugh. That is some potent stuff when concentrated. I also have a bad habit of spilling it.

I turned in early because of said fumes. But I did stop right after assembling one of the missile banks. The clear parts get stickers... but looking at it, I'm thinking I might be able to use my metallic green gundam marker on the back of the clear part and achieve a really cool effect. Thoughts? The right swatch is applied on top of the clear plastic, the left swatch is applied underneath the clear plastic.

(I knew the blue would be too dark.)

G0YaGdDh.jpg

Still deciding if this will be FAZZ 04, 05, or 06. I was leaning towards 05, but I suspect many might choose that, so maybe 06? Really not sure.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I used metallic green on the underside of mine, to give it a good color. I made mine 06.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Metallic colored paint on the underside of clear parts does give it a glowing look and is something the Nu Gundam ver.ka and PG Unicorns do with foil stickers. Just be careful not to scratch the part in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Holy crap, that is a pain in the ass decal! And I thought getting this part together properly was hell.

I get why they do it... so that the decal drapes over the panel. But... Ugh. Just so hard to get right. And of course there are gonna be decals on the side that might overlap.

9LysPIwh.jpg

Edit: boo, lost one of the decals on the chest somewhere along the line. *sigh* It's pretty common, I might have another one somewhere, but as usual it is annoying.

Edit 2: Okay, it's turning out good. Just need patience. I'm also getting better at working in tight confines.

igSAgjoh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options

HOW IS THERE STILL NO PLASTIC MODEL LINE OF THE SHIPS FROM EINHANDER

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    This message brought to you by my random ass brain

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have actually thought that same thought recently

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There were probably garage kits, but that doesn't help anyone now.

• Options
    Forget this Final Fantasy crap, where's more Einhander games

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm the only guy in my area that does Koto kits. All of my store's preorders got cancelled because meeting the distributor's allotment wasn't feasible.

Really hoping they get at least December's gunpla. I need that Core Gundam II for my next planned build.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Just finished tonight's build:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    How is the entry grade? And do
    You have the revive to compare the build to?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I do not have the Revive kit. For something that cost in the neighborhood of 5 to 10 US Dollars, this EG is about what you would expect. It's very simple, a lot of components are a single piece instead of multiple pieces, and there are some bits which don't look great. But again for an evening of fun or for a beginner it's all right.

I am disappointed the beam rifle lens isn't a separate piece, though. Especially when the rest of the kit has pretty good color separation. Also, I had to glue the knee armor on.

And I forgot, there was actually a bit of flashing on the red foot pieces which had to be sanded off. And the rear camera had isn't modeled.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    There were probably garage kits, but that doesn't help anyone now.

Searching for “garage kits” on eBay will leave you adrift in a sea of resin titties

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I was surprised to see Gunpla in one of the toy aisles of my local Target. They had a few IBO and Wing HGs, and RX-72-2 HG (didn’t pay attention to know which one specifically) and an MG Barbatos. I don’t go through the toy aisles very often, have they been carrying Gunpla for a while?

• Options
    wouldn't surprise me, knowing that barnes and noble has been stocking gunpla for a few years now

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Target has been carrying gunpla for at least most of 2020 but not really before that

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The internet claims my Target has them but I never can find them

• Options
    It's relatively new, yeah. Typically they are either nearby to the nerf, or over in electronics in the specialty/nerd area where they keep the funko pops.

After a few months of stocking them, someone at corporate finally got wise and stocked entry grade nippers too.

In addition to the gunpla, they also have the Gundam action figures, a couple Star Wars kits here and there, and a bunch of Godzilla and Dragonball Z action figures and such.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've stopped by my Target a few times but they only have the Gundam Universe figures. Which are also tempting...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah I had also seen the Gundam Universe figures off by the electronics section in a different Target, this is just the first time I saw proper Gunpla. They also stocked some of the Star Wars kits from Bandai, that was cool to see.

• Options
    It really feels like Bluefin is trying to expand their base, especially now that Toys R Us is gone. Target also seems to be taking up the mantle of the "boutique" toy store. Which I'm okay with, compared to Wal-mart (and sadly what I've learned recently about Meijer).

I'll always support my local store first and certain online vendors second, but I am glad to see the hobby expanding!

• Options
    I have no real interest in them personally, but the Gundam Universe figs are pretty nice.

Also just nice to see figures with an approachable price point.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Alas, poor Yorick....

NBYjMxph.jpg

Er. Wait. No... Here, you take it.

DBH0cDBh.jpg

Everything about this model feels soooo slow. And yet I know I'm getting better, but we're talking hours for the most minor of stuff that no one is gonna see but me. I'm still trying to get the hang of different sanding/polishing techniques, I'm still trying to apply decals as I go (so far very few will be visible), I'm still trying to get more precise cuts...

It's not disheartening, I just am thinking long-term about how long this is gonna take. And again, thinking about what is in my future.

It is interesting seeing the parts that are different between this and base ZZ. For instance, the forearms don't have the transformation/thrusters that the standard model does. They are locked in place, using new inner arm frames that have slots for the extra armor to be placed on it. Until I topcoat the forearms, I'm not gonna attach the armor (and even then I want to do some pics of the base gundam vs. FAZZ), so it is a bit weird to be on this step... but hey. Onwards and upwards, I guess? :)

oi7DTfLh.jpg

This discussion has been closed.