As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    feels halfway between a gundam and an armored core, I love that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Astray was the best thing to come out of SEED and had some really dope Gundam designs.

It's a shame it never got a proper anime.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gouf Flight Type, Gelgoog Marine, Jegan, Astaroth

You have been found wanting, and must depart my house

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hey uhhh if you're tryna get rid of some models.....

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I finally got around to using my pour type markers, definitely seems like I'll want some normal types around for really thin lines but man it's like magic just tapping a panel line and watching it automatically fill with black

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Bleh. Gundam Planet is still tossing me "An error occured on the server" things when I try to check out. Why won't you let me give you money?

EDIT: Finally got it to work using the PayPal option.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    I finally got around to using my pour type markers, definitely seems like I'll want some normal types around for really thin lines but man it's like magic just tapping a panel line and watching it automatically fill with black

@Kanden what kind/brand of markers are you using for this?

• Options
    I'm not sure what brand they are I just grabbed em at the hobby store, here's a picture of the package and the Tallgeese I used them on.
    DVTILrT.jpg

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Those are official Gundam Markers. I believe they are made for Bandai by Mr. Hobby? Others could speak more certainly.

I haven't used them a ton, mostly because I can't seem to get the coats to go down evenly. but they help, a lot, with spot treating things.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Gundam Markers are made by GSI Creos but they also own the Mr. Hobby line. I use mine for panel lining and covering up bad nub marks. If you want to paint entire pieces with them then there is a Gundam Marker airbrush but you are better off getting a real airbrush.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    said it before and I'll say it again the fill type panel lining pens are literally some kind of space magic and I need to get more.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I have Gundam markers I just don't have any that'll do a whole line from a touch

Am I looking for fill type?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Sorry, wrong name, its Pour Type.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Thank you!

• Options
    I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but does the pour type make plastic brittle like the Tamiya bottles of panel liner? Im building a mobile pod ball and the hands just kinda started falling apart as soon as I used the pour type on em.

• Options
    No. I use mine directly on plastic all the time. What are you using to clean up the excess?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The white one in that pack I posted, it started crumbling before I even start d the cleanup, i used the normal non-pour marker for the other hand and it's totally fine. Super weird I used it for everything else and no problems anywhere but the arm, wonder if it's just a weird type of plastic

Kanden on
  • Options
    Gray pour markers can't be had for love nor money before July, damn

• Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    The white one in that pack I posted, it started crumbling before I even start d the cleanup, i used the normal non-pour marker for the other hand and it's totally fine. Super weird I used it for everything else and no problems anywhere but the arm, wonder if it's just a weird type of plastic

The GM300 marker? That is an eraser so it would of been just thinner so depending on the type of thinner and plastic stuff can break. I always use acrylic thinner to clean up after my Gundam Markers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, but like I said it started breaking apart before I had even started the cleaning process, I think I'm just gonna be more careful and test on runners before I go ham with it in the future

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've never seen my pour markers do that kind of thing.

For reference, here's my current supply:

6Y4U9gwl.jpg

And then some close-ups, from left to right:

GM01 200 - Fine point black
    GM302 200 - Pour type gray
    GM21 200 - Brush type (I think that's right?) gray
    GM10 200 - Chisel type black

qD96GIdl.jpg

0hmu1qyl.jpg

That white marker (300) doesn't look like any pour type I've ever used. But it appears to be in the right numbering range?

Edit: Oh shit I lined up those two pictures decently well without even trying!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, no idea what happened to the hand, I ended up fixing it so not a huge deal tbh.

XNHvhJP.jpg
    I still need to do the waterslide decals, but I'm kinda intimidated by em so that'll wait

Kanden on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The white marker that comes with the pour type pack is the cleaner. The pour type markers, as with all of the Gundam markers, are oil based. They shouldn't cause your plastic to become brittle, but it depends on what GSI Creos thins the markers with. I know for a fact it's not enamel thinner like in the Tamiya Panel Line bottles, because that stuff has caused parts to disintegrate on me.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I started on a 1/144 set, and I have the impression that the panel lining will take far more time than the actual building of the model.

Behold the 4 pieces that I put together, and then spent a lot of time panel lining them:
    s5p5asna8sd8.jpg
    I hope those 5 markers I bought will be sufficient :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Finished the Nu Gundam yesterday but I didn't take any pictures till today.

rqr7zhl78rf8.jpg

He has a toy now.

32edyu14ap7r.jpg

And here is a side view of the beam rifle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If you wanted to panel line in a non-traditional color what would be some options?

Kinda want to panel line the G-Else in hot pink when I get it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I think for reds you use brown

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The green panel lining on my Nu Gundam's beam rifle is from a metallic green Gundam Marker which is a chisel tip. They are messy and a pain on edges but metallic red might work for you otherwise probably hand painting acrylic or lacquer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    To recreate the pour type markers, you just need oil paint, mineral spirits, and a brush.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    In general, it’s grey on white, brown on red, and black on everything else, right?

Is there a way to get a black pour type? The only set I’ve seen is the one pictured above.

I take back what I said about the RG Gold Frame...the HG was enough of a pain in the ass. I almost lost the mouth piece at least twice.

• Options
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Black says out of stock. :P

• Options
    Grabbed a florescent pink gundam marker. The G-Else HG doesn't have a ton of surface detail so I think I can make it work. Grabbed a white one too cause if I'm gonna mess around with em I might as well make the rifle color accurate.

The kit in question, just for reference

hgbd-r-gundam-g-else-gp.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    In my experience, the white, yellow, red, and pink Gundam markers are all kind of translucent. The red especially results in kind of a candy red translucent shell. Good for some uses.

Like I don't know how you're supposed to get solid white from a Gundam marker. It's a little better with the yellow and pink. Enough layers on a light background and you'll get there.

You can also decant the paint from the marker and use a brush or a plastic toothpick like I do.

I guess what I'm saying is good luck with pink on black. I truly hope it turns out better for you than it has for me.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Renzo wrote: »
    In my experience, the white, yellow, red, and pink Gundam markers are all kind of translucent. The red especially results in kind of a candy red translucent shell. Good for some uses.

Like I don't know how you're supposed to get solid white from a Gundam marker. It's a little better with the yellow and pink. Enough layers on a light background and you'll get there.

You can also decant the paint from the marker and use a brush or a plastic toothpick like I do.

I guess what I'm saying is good luck with pink on black. I truly hope it turns out better for you than it has for me.

Wouldn't it work to do some layers of white, and then when it's nice and dry, do the pink over top?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Black says out of stock. :P

Maybe I got the last one then
    Whoops! Sorry!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Wouldn't it work to do some layers of white, and then when it's nice and dry, do the pink over top?

That would work better, but I seem to remember dry Gundam marker paint reactivating when new paint is applied. It doesn't handle coats well like acrylic paints, for example.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

That would work better, but I seem to remember dry Gundam marker paint reactivating when new paint is applied. It doesn't handle coats well like acrylic paints, for example.

Ah, that's a shame.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I did yellow on black for my Lupus Rex HG's nails and that turned out fine (besides my shoddy brushwork lol) so we'll see.

Also the two markers cost me $5 total so not like it's a huge deal if it doesnt work out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    In general, it’s grey on white, brown on red, and black on everything else, right?

Is there a way to get a black pour type? The only set I’ve seen is the one pictured above.

I take back what I said about the RG Gold Frame...the HG was enough of a pain in the ass. I almost lost the mouth piece at least twice.

That's the general advice. If you want to get more detailed it would be:

1) Grey - White, off whites, light desaturated colors (e.g. pale blues, pale purples, light greys, etc)
    2) Brown - Yellow, light earthtones (tan, brown, etc), oranges. Personally, I don't like using the brown marker on reds and use the black. Don't use on greens unless you want a really rusted crevice corrosion look.
    3) Black - Medium/dark greys, all saturated colors (yellows can be in brown or black), all darker colors.

This discussion has been closed.