Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

19495969798100»

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh boy I hope Etsy loves being bankrupted by lawsuits, because that's how you get bankrupted by lawsuits.

Etsy is a hot mess. This isn't even the first time it's accidentally(?) taken thousands of dollars from sellers.

edit: I read an interesting and well-researched theory not too long ago that Etsy is mostly a front for international money laundering, which is why their actual business is so awful. I'll post it if I can find it again - it's entertaining if nothing else.

Sure wish there were a decent alternative to Etsy for finding artisans, crafters, and small businesses online, though :sad:

Eh, I have a friend who works for Etsy in a pretty cool position. Given the work she does for them, and how much I've heard about it, I'd be very surprised if that theory were remotely true.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So I had someone call in and ask for help with a site.

The address they gave?

4th South North at 87th Avenue North.

This address in SLC by any chance?

I once had a customer give me a home address of, "40 32nd street" and when I couldn't find it, she just said "40 32nd street!" even louder. And then a third time even louder. Her actual address? 4030 2nd street. Use submarine numbers!

Use what?

Submarine numbers. Like if your phone number is 784-8041 you just say each number individually, instead of saying "Seven Eight Four, Eighty Forty-One." It's impossible to confuse the individual numbers. It's also fewer syllables, and therefore easier.

Oh. I didn't know that was referred to as submarine numbers. Thanks.

Yeah me neither. That's just normal numbers!

I remember being at a festival and the crowd getting told off by Blink 182 because here we call them Blink One-Eight-Two instead of Blink One-Eighty-Two.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Hahahah

Local Schools: There is nothing more important than reopening our schools!
    Local University med center with extremely well regarded infectious disease department: Reopening the schools are going to be horrific!

News: Guess there is no harm in reopening the schools!

HAHAHAHAHASOB

At least one of the doctors gives it no more than three weeks before the schools have to shut again. I just have to dodge Covid for that long.

How is it so hard for superintendents to understand that kids are terrible disease vectors and have no idea how to, or interest in, wear PPE. This is going to literally kill children and all they can think about is making their job a bit easier.

I think I'm going to make it my job to keep track of the number of students and staff in the district that get covid, write it on a big sign and go to every school board meeting and just hold it up in the back.

You very literally should do this. Join on zoom too and just make your background that number, don't even have to turn on your camera.

I'm not entirely sure how to find out when a student or staff member test positive though.

This is what's making me increasingly nervous. Are administrators going to inform faculty when a student or staff-member is quarantined due to COVID, or just our own students, or are we just going to have to guess? Nothing my district or schools have put out to us has clarified this incredibly important item.
    Camera perspectives are always better if they view you from straight-on or slightly above.

I started putting my laptop on a stack of books on my desk for videos and zooms this past spring. Much better than before.

What have other groups/companies been doing? Because on the one hand you'd want to know, on the other (for good reason) you can't just go sharing medical info about people. Just reasonable privacy concerns, never mind hiipa

I don't know what other companies have been doing since everyone I know is either a teacher or able to work from home. Also, teachers have access to all kinds of private information, including HIPAA information, about students already. Which is why we go through privacy training. So basically, I do think there is a way to inform teachers that there have been active COVID cases in their classes, or at the very least, they've likely been exposed. I understand privacy concerns, but we're talking about hundreds of people being in contact with them in the course of a single day. The district needs to have a policy for this, even if it's simply some form of "all of you in this group need to be tested for COVID because you've been exposed." And then there's the question of how many active cases will there be before the district decides to shut down in-person classes. We haven't been given any idea what they're thinking on that either. And we start school on the 7th in an area with currently rising case numbers and hospitalizations, so you know, it would be nice to know there's some kind of plan in place before it's just a panic response.

Sorry if I seemed flippant, I'm not for schools opening period, and think it's heinous, much less without even a bullshit plan to point at as a fig leaf. I also didn't know that about teachers and private info and that's interesting! At any rate sorry if it seemed like I was being a seal, I was more dismally wondering if anyone even had an answer, even a bad one.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So I had someone call in and ask for help with a site.

The address they gave?

4th South North at 87th Avenue North.

This address in SLC by any chance?

I once had a customer give me a home address of, "40 32nd street" and when I couldn't find it, she just said "40 32nd street!" even louder. And then a third time even louder. Her actual address? 4030 2nd street. Use submarine numbers!

Use what?

Submarine numbers. Like if your phone number is 784-8041 you just say each number individually, instead of saying "Seven Eight Four, Eighty Forty-One." It's impossible to confuse the individual numbers. It's also fewer syllables, and therefore easier.

Oh. I didn't know that was referred to as submarine numbers. Thanks.

Yeah me neither. That's just normal numbers!

I remember being at a festival and the crowd getting told off by Blink 182 because here we call them Blink One-Eight-Two instead of Blink One-Eighty-Two.

wait it's supposed to be Blink one-eighty-two??
    That's so much harder to say!

• Options
    You ever have a plan for the day that is just thoroughly thrown off course by the time you're an hour in because of something that should have been easy but turns out to be intractable. Because that's me today and I don't like it.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I never knew people said anything other than blink-one-eighty-two.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I can't even make myself say it. Thirty years of one-eight-two is hard to override.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Isn't QA the first thing to go when a company starts layoffs?

For sure, which is why I'm on an indeterminate furlough while the rest of my team is still working.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

In the UK (and I presume Aus based on tynic's reaction) we always say long numbers like the submarine number thing above.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Wait did your radio DJs call them one eight two or one eighty two?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I dunno, I never really listened to radio. I'm pretty sure the MTV presenters said 1 8 2 though.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    That is wild

I can only hear it in my head as one eighty two, and even then it's all contracted into one word

Blink wunatietoo

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    "Blink wunatietoo" here in Holland.

Wait, what about Sum41?

• Options
    Sum forty-one

I guess it's because we would never say 182 as One-Eighty-Two. It would be One-hundred-and-eighty-two

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

In the UK (and I presume Aus based on tynic's reaction) we always say long numbers like the submarine number thing above.

Yeah we always just say number strings for telephones, housing addresses, whatever. It’s not so alien that I’d be confused if someone said thirty-eighty-two for 3082 but I would personally just say three-oh-eight-two.

Two digit numbers it’s a bit more mixed, could go either way. Once you get into the hundreds though, fuck that, you’re just getting a digit list and you better keep up.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Boss, clearly only half listening to a call: Hey, Drez, can you set up a meeting on that thing they just talked about?
    Me: Umm, sure.
    Boss: Yeah we need to move quick on this.
    Me: *checks boss's calendar availability via Outlook*

Today: Totally booked
    Tomorrow: Totally booked
    Every day for the next week and a half: Totally booked

Me: *rage intensifies*

See if there's anything in there that sounds dreadful and double-book them.

I only have the ability to see what blocks of time are "busy" on other people's calendars (I'm not an admin or anything, just a slowly BAE (Business Analyst Extraordinare) - I can't actually see what meetings he has, only that he has them.

Otherwise, that is absolutely what I would do.

Also, I thought up that BAE thing on the spot and I'm going to be putting that on a business card for when society reopens for flirtation purposes. Whenever some random woman asks me what I do for a living, I don't know what to say because "Business Analyst" is so boring. I'm just going to tell them from now on that I'm BAE... "or at least that's what you'll think of me eventually."

maybe I deserve my life

Considering a major defense supplier is BAE systems, might not be best to reuse that acronym. Also "x extraordinaire" used to be how my analyst group described people who couldn't find their own feet with a map.

I mean, the joke is that BAE stands for Before Anyone Else in modern social parlance. But noted. All this means is I have to buy and shut down BAE Systems so I can use that acronym on my business card with impugnity, which is not a typo. Also I need to earn a lot more money (I'm assuming) unless I can buy out BAE Systems with twenty dollars. Can I do a hostile takeover? That's basically like walking into their headquarters and challenging the CEO to a duel, right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Bae is an acronym?! I thought it was just slang from "baby" or similar.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

it's a backronym, it started out as just normal slang. but for some reason people love turning words of vague origin into acronyms

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow is my big, multi-part interview with Google. I hope I do well.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options

it's a backronym, it started out as just normal slang. but for some reason people love turning words of vague origin into acronyms

This comforts me.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Dunk on ‘em, Cambiata. Dunk. On. ‘Em.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Go crush it!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    new thread time!

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.