As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    right but none of that is where the conversation started which was simply a discussion about what times meetings should be scheduled and I said "well I have to talk with people in Perth and I'm in the Bay Area so it's gonna suck for someone".

tynic on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We need VR meetings where at least we can all pretend we're on a beach, or around a campfire in a forest somewhere, or similar.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Maybe instead of meetings, we can just get some sort of device to syphon thoughts out of everyone's heads and then pool them all together and pipe them back out to everyone, so everyone is on the same page. Maybe even have one giant mind watch over them. Like, I dunno, an Overmind or something?

Sure, let's render everyone in this forum permanently unemployable by removing the barriers protecting our bosses and coworkers from our terrible head-innards. Good plan.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    We need VR meetings where at least we can all pretend we're on a beach, or around a campfire in a forest somewhere, or similar.

The best I can do is set my Zoom virtual background as Lundberg looming over my cubicle wall.

• Options
    edited May 2020

oh, these platforms exist. I'm supposed to be in a Virbela meeting later this afternoon, which I think is compatible with VR headsets, not that I have one.
    (full disclosure I hate this kind of shit more than most digital meetings because I just get constantly distracted by either the limitations or the features of the tech, but I did have a colleague that used to run his international ESL classes in Second Life and then there was always the exciting possibility that some mutant crocodile person would turn up and masturbate at us).

tynic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Love to say “hey I need to talk to my colleagues in Australia occasionally to make projects happen”, then get told at length that all not-in-person meetings are pointless actually and we should just fly people out (I assume they’ll bring the hundred-kilometer coral reefs we’re working on along with them as hand luggage), THEN get the goalposts moved to ‘well whole team meetings and meetings where someone just talks at you are pointless’ (which was never, ever what I was talking about), only to have it wrap round to
    Orca wrote: »
    getting the right cross-functional group of people together to solve the problem/make the thing work/hash out something.

which is. in fact, exactly what I WAS talking about when I said I’m gonna have to talk to people in Perth occasionally for the next few months.

It’s almost like someone’s individual corporate experience can’t be generalized across all work fields or environments.

Maybe we can make some generalizations though!

* Meetings where the whole team is brought in so upper management can feel better about themselves are stupid.
    * Meetings where groups of people that have nothing to do with the topic at hand are brought together for an hour are stupid
    * Regular meetings that had a purpose at one time, but have since moved on from that purpose but have the same attendees likely fall into one of the above, and so are stupid
    * Cross-functional meetings with the minimum number of people necessary to the topic(s) at hand are likely to be useful
    * The more people in the meeting, the less useful it is
    * The (management/PM) attitude of "the meetings will continue until productivity improves" is stupid. And common. And still stupid.

Edge cases will continue to be edge cases and are probably the exception to the generalization like always?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    maybe globalization was a mistake and we should use local resources instead of resources across the entire world to reduce carbon footprints even if they cost more money

maybe

and other assorted business things that don't fit in the box will continue not fitting in a box?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

oh, these platforms exist. I'm supposed to be in a Virbela meeting later this afternoon, which I think is compatible with VR headsets, not that I have one.
    (full disclosure I hate this kind of shit more than most digital meetings because I just get constantly distracted by either the limitations or the features of the tech, but I did have a colleague that used to run his international ESL classes in Second Life and then there was always the exciting possibility that some mutant crocodile person would turn up and masturbate at us).

Interesting. I would not like that style of VR meeting, or that size. too many people. Though I guess for college lectures or some such it might be useful.

I was thinking of something like Firewatch or Outer Wilds. Let me have my teams standup in the firewatch tower, or roast marshmallows around an outerwilds campfire. Hell the latter even has mechanics to keep the meeting from going on too long.

l3ksvt8n43pc.jpg
    2fk8rspvw1ck.jpg

• Options
    so many of those 3d "vr" platforms existed in the late 90s it was kind of crazy

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    There was an article last week about how one office abandoned Zoom/skype/Teams/etc. and just started meeting at the campfire in RDR2.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    There was an article last week about how one office abandoned Zoom/skype/Teams/etc. and just started meeting at the campfire in RDR2.

I wonder if the dev could break out just the campfire part of the game, maybe with a couple other bits, like maybe a few pre-routed horse rides of different lengths for the walk and talks. It is a very interesting concept.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    maybe globalization was a mistake and we should use local resources instead of resources across the entire world to reduce carbon footprints even if they cost more money

maybe

and other assorted business things that don't fit in the box will continue not fitting in a box?

Or it wasn’t, and having remote meetings is a completely viable alternative to the insane idea of flying people on for every single meeting?

• Options

maybe

You're the one who started trying to jam my allegedly edge case stuff into a business box. I would push back on calling it 'edge case' as well. Simply put, your experience is not universal.

• Options
    I remember doing some RWX stuff back in the day, calculating UV maps by hand and with my graphic calculator. What a time to be alive.

• Options

maybe

You're the one who started trying to jam my allegedly edge case stuff into a business box. I would push back on calling it 'edge case' as well. Simply put, your experience is not universal.

I just disagree that it's acceptable to ask people to rejigger their life around meetings because of timezone differences, which all circles back to my jamming things into my box.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Searching for a new job is the fucking worst.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

maybe

I just disagree that it's acceptable to ask people to rejigger their life around meetings because of timezone differences, which all circles back to my jamming things into my box.

I feel like you’re confusing “ask” with “force”.

• Options

maybe

well until we manage to get the earth to stop this pesky rotation business I guess that's the trade off some of us are going to have to make.

Personally I'd rather rejigger my life a little than have to navigate dozens of multi-way emails where a simple half hour face to face with three or four people would do the job.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    If I'm given the option of either having scheduled meetings outside of my normal working hours because it's with someone in a different timezone or flying to where that person is and spending several weeks there, and I have to pick based on what rejiggers my life the least? I'd pick the meetings, I'll be honest.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Flarne wrote: »

maybe

yes management often "forces" people to do those things, if by force you mean ask, and by ask you mean with the implication of "you may not work here for much longer if you don't do this thing I asked you to do."

• Options
    right and that's not the context I am working in, or was commenting on?

• Options

maybe

yes management often "forces" people to do those things, if by force you mean ask, and by ask you mean with the implication of "you may not work here for much longer if you don't do this thing I asked you to do."

Yeah, and lot of people don’t live in a place where management can do that since we have unions and labor laws. So is globalization really the issue, or is it shitty worker protections?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I spent four hours this morning at school, masked and gloved up, checking in laptops that graduates were returning to school. I didn't interact directly with students, other admin met the cars and brought the devices to me, where I then checked them off and stacked them on a cart.

That is the most work I've done in months.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I looked up Virbela and ugh I'm continually frustrated that reality turned out so similar to but also much lamer than Snow Crash

• Options
    edited May 2020

maybe

Yeah, and lot of people don’t live in a place where management can do that since we have unions and labor laws. So is globalization really the issue, or is it shitty worker protections?

Yes it is very strange that the American talking about how meetings suck while working for private American companies and how shittily Americans are treated probably isn't considering worker rights in the UK, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Australia, or New Zealand in context of making a facetious recommendation for how meetings should be done. And probably also isn't considering Tynic's job might be a bit more lax about flex time in academia or their related workplaces, nor does Bowen likely care when he's making an obviously flippant suggestion like that.

Bowen also has been asked to get up at 4am to go have a meeting because that's when the guy's shift was and then was also demanded to continue working the rest of the day (Bowen did not continue working that day and stopped at noon).

Bowen likes worker rights and realizes that in the context of America that American workers get a shit deal, hence the original comment.

bowen on
  • Options
    Also a lot of us also work under reasonable management, who realize that if you need people to work uncomfortable hours you make sure they’re fine with it and they get compensated for it. And if they end up in a life situation where it’s no longer feasible, you switch them around to a role where they don’t have to but can still deliver value. Because good management knows that firing someone who’s probably highly skilled because of petty bullshit is a dumb thing to do.

So no. Globalization was not a mistake because your boss is dumb.

• Options

maybe

Yes it is very strange that the American talking about how meetings suck while working for private American companies and how shittily Americans are treated probably isn't considering worker rights in the UK, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Australia, or New Zealand in context of making a facetious recommendation for how meetings should be done. And probably also isn't considering Tynic's job might be a bit more lax about flex time in academia or their related workplaces, nor does Bowen likely care when he's making an obviously flippant suggestion like that.

Bowen also has been asked to get up at 4am to go have a meeting because that's when the guy's shift was and then was also demanded to continue working the rest of the day (Bowen did not continue working that day and stopped at noon).

Bowen likes worker rights and realizes that in the context of America that American workers get a shit deal, hence the original comment.

When you say “Globalization was a mistake” that’s what I’m going to reply to.

• Options
    edited May 2020

maybe

it's pretty garbage, especially in the context of those carbon footprints, sure

though you did mention worker rights, which is what I'm replying to

bowen on
  • Options
    In the spirit of stupid and unnecessary meetings, I will offer up my dumb VR meeting happening in an hour, which isn't actually a meeting it's a social half hour with the team (that's fine, it's non compulsory, and is just my manager desperately trying to keep some group social cohesion going during wfh ) but she wants to try Virbela because "it seems fun" and I'm like lady anything that requires me to install additional clogware on my laptop better be more fun than I can have sitting on a washing machine

• Options

maybe

You’re seriously arguing that the carbon footprint of people flying to theoretical meetings that would only be happening if we followed your strict rules for working hours are worse than all the positives that globalization has brought?

• Options

maybe

You’re seriously arguing that the carbon footprint of people flying to theoretical meetings that would only be happening if we followed your strict rules for working hours are worse than all the positives that globalization has brought?

I said I wanted to make it prohibitively expensive so it wasn't used.

Probably a drop in the bucket compared to the carbon footprint of shipping meat across the planet because it's cheaper to buy it in one place and ship it and process it.

• Options

maybe

I said I wanted to make it prohibitively expensive so it wasn't used.

Probably a drop in the bucket compared to the carbon footprint of shipping meat across the planet because it's cheaper to buy it in one place and ship it and process it.

So, in a world where all meetings have to happen in person but cannot happen because it’s expensive, globalization is a mistake because of the carbon footprint of the flights that aren’t happening. Sure.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This is how they get you, man. Turning workers against each other. Can't we all just take a deep breath, relax, and refocus our rage on the C-suite? Where it belongs?

Look, Elon Musk is making cities in the middle of the country dance for his amusement so he can decide where to escape from California's onerously reasonable regulations.

And boy, ain't they a-dancin'.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

maybe

Many of us work in:
    1. Fields with a limited number of experts spread across the globe, necessitating remote connections
    2. Multinational companies that spread segment talent, again necessitating geographically spread meetings.

Globalization is not a mistake in the sense that everyone in every place deserves a shot at being an expert. However, the freedom that lets some of us work from rural areas also means there will be inconveniences.
    The alternative is the old way: beyond highly localized hqs/campuses and cities, expertise and opportunity is not available.
    I much prefer some minor inconvenience around meeting times in trade for flexibility in where I live.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This is how they get you, man. Turning workers against each other. Can't we all just take a deep breath, relax, and refocus our rage on the C-suite? Where it belongs?

Look, Elon Musk is making cities in the middle of the country dance for his amusement so he can decide where to escape from California's onerously reasonable regulations.

Wow, this is so much worse reading the article. They painted the Tesla logo over a statue honoring oil workers and are just pretending it’s a statue of Elon Musk now.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Uh... Are they worshipping Elon Musk?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Anyone that you've ever had a crush on that's told you 'trying too hard just makes you more unattractive' was 100% correct.

• Options
    Uh... Are they worshipping Elon Musk?

It's strange how many people do.

Like he's not even a cool rich dude like Gates.

My friend does work for spacex and he is essentially being bullied and worked to death... and seems to love it?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Searching for a new job is the fucking worst.

It's degrading and soulsucking

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also @bowen if you hate your current working practices perhaps find an organization more in line with what you want.
    Many companies are good to their employees.

This discussion has been closed.