As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've lived in Texas all my life and often heard or read the word compadre, but it wasn't until reading this book that I realized that that word, although generally used to mean "good friend", is also the Spanish word for the person you name as godfather to your child. (like "co-papa")

I realized this not because the text mentioned it, but because they used the word comadre next to the word compadre, and I knew what a comadre was. Though I didn't know it could also mean "good buddy" but of the female variety.

Comadre can also be used to mean midwife, apparently (Googled to find that one out).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Supposedly Eric Johnson can hear the difference if you change the brand of battery in his pedals.

I'm catching up on this thread and this reminded me of something.

A looooong time ago, I think in one of the New Comic threads back when those still existed, I was making some mediocre joke about Tim Buckley the webcomic artist having the same name as Tim Buckley the musician, and I posted a link to the musician's wikipedia article

and you must have clicked through to that article because you were disgusted that it described him as having a twelve-octave vocal range, and you made a point of personally removing that claim and making sure it stayed removed.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I didn't know that anybody actually put glasses or cups in cabinets any other way than rim down. My family isn't from anywhere near the dust bowl prairies or bug infested tenements. They just stack better that way ( I've always used plastic cups)

Ok so until this post I was thinking you guys meant (eye)glasses for some reason, and I was thinking “what the hell difference does that make for dust?”

Joolander on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Supposedly Eric Johnson can hear the difference if you change the brand of battery in his pedals.

I'm catching up on this thread and this reminded me of something.

A looooong time ago, I think in one of the New Comic threads back when those still existed, I was making some mediocre joke about Tim Buckley the webcomic artist having the same name as Tim Buckley the musician, and I posted a link to the musician's wikipedia article

and you must have clicked through to that article because you were disgusted that it described him as having a twelve-octave vocal range, and you made a point of personally removing that claim and making sure it stayed removed.

I remember at one point hearing the factoid that Mariah Carey had, like, maybe 9 or 10 octaves? And being like, "that's insane, that's so many octaves" and looking at a piano and just being like "Mariah says get rekt"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How many octaves is normal? I want to assume 8.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    How many octaves is normal? I want to assume 8.

A quick google tells me more than 3 is kinda rare with some reaching 6. I guess Plavalaguna could maybe do more? Basically humans suck at vocalising is my takeaway.

honovere on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Most people have a 2 octave range, a professional singer has 2.5-3, rare talents have 5+ with the world record holder having 10

Edit: Google says Mariah Carey’s range is 5 octaves

Janson on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i store glasses rim-up because i'm from an upper-middle-class family in the northeast (which i have completely betrayed with my life's trajectory.)
    meanwhile, my partner is from the desert, so it becomes immediately obvious which of us has put away the glasses and mugs.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I don't even think 4 is possible based on how human vocal chords and folds work. Apparently a lot of these "six octave" claims involve whistling, which doesn't utilize vocal chords at all.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't even know what an octave is tbqh

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    Janson wrote: »
    Most people have a 2 octave range, a professional singer has 2.5-3, rare talents have 5+ with the world record holder having 10

Edit: Google says Mariah Carey’s range is 5 octaves

Five sounds bonkers enough, 10 would involve sub or supersonic frequencies so I’m a bit skeptical. 3 is a decent range for a professional classical singer.

tynic on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

A spider-man villain

• Options

In Julie Andrews terms, it’s all the way from“ doe, a deer,” up to “brings us back to do”.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I don't even think 4 is possible based on how human vocal chords and folds work. Apparently a lot of these "six octave" claims involve whistling, which doesn't utilize vocal chords at all.

Four is well possible if you’re a baritone with a decent countertenor. Harder to get that range for a woman, usually, though.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

An octave is an interval of 8 whole notes (octo!)
    C defgab C

So if you go one octave above or below a note, you will be at the same note but a higher or lower pitch, respectively.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure i have roughly 0.3 octaves on a good day

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I can do 3, 3.5 if I falsetto. My low range stiiiiiinks.
    But the quality of my voice has taken a nose dive since I started talking for a living.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    In the most scientific terms, an octave is the term we devised to label the distance between any given pitch, and the pitch exactly half or twice its frequency.
    tynic wrote: »

In Julie Andrews terms, it’s all the way from“ doe, a deer,” up to “brings us back to do”.

Basically this. An octave is 8 steps up whichever musical scale you're using*. On a piano it's basically any one key to the next iteration of the same positional key, like this:

2-octaves.jpg

Notice it's actually 12 notes or "semitones" because for whatever reason we divide the octave into twelve actual notes.

*assuming you're using a scale that is more or less compatible with the traditional western system of music theory.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I will further note that if you actually go by frequencies, most labeled/defined pitches are slightly off. This is because the way we measure musical distance in relative terms (octaves, fifths, fourths, etc) is very much not perfect and creates all sorts of really nasty ugly problems the further you stray from the most intended use of the system in question.

Things like Just Intonation and the like are various systems developed to map and divide frequencies. It's actually ... well, really fucky.

Youtubers Adam Neely and 12tone both have videos where they talk about these sorts of things. Adam Neely is a bassist and someone I highly recommend if you enjoy music theory and jazz and composition from someone who is both formally educated and also smart enough to seek outside ideas (he talks a lot about non-western traditions in music and tuning). 12tone is similarly very highly educated and talks a whole lot about music theory in general, specifically as a tool to analyze and describe music and how we use it, and he has lots of videos where he analyzes various songs in popular media and shows how the compositional choices they made can be described to help reinforce the stories being told by those songs. He tends toward the descriptivist approach, and hates things the concept of musical rules which must be followed.

e: if you're especially nerdy about math and music look up 12tones videos about commas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syA7S_5E3A

Tox on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Mike Patton I think holds the record range for popular artists at a shade over 6 octaves.

Axl Rose is up there, as is Mariah Carey, and the dude from Slipknot.

EDIT: Oh hey, I found where I found that.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

C defgab C

So if you go one octave above or below a note, you will be at the same note but a higher or lower pitch, respectively.

So is DefGab like an alternative to TED Talks, or what?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

C defgab C

100% original character do not steal.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

C defgab C

What? DefGab for Cutie has been around for years - my wife loves them.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

C defgab C

What? DefGab for Cutie has been around for years - my wife loves them.

Hope they’re ready to get sued!

sarukun on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was the grand meeting of the managers today at work this morning
    All the store managers and Market manager {he did say HI to me as I worked with him before asking if I was interested in a job in front of my store manager} Were in the store this morning for the market meeting
    Just sadly it was chaos at night as we had to shine the turd that is our store. I did all of frozen by myself :( and had to bin all of frozen's backstock and dairy's backstock from yesterday and today {I don't think they really do anything during the day other than hide}

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

C defgab C

Mos Def’s call-in radio talk show.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It was the grand meeting of the managers today at work this morning
    All the store managers and Market manager {he did say HI to me as I worked with him before asking if I was interested in a job in front of my store manager} Were in the store this morning for the market meeting
    Just sadly it was chaos at night as we had to shine the turd that is our store. I did all of frozen by myself :( and had to bin all of frozen's backstock and dairy's backstock from yesterday and today {I don't think they really do anything during the day other than hide}

Did you say yes?

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    In the last month I've told off two vendors by accident because I thought I was on mute.

Need to be more careful.

Also I need a vacation.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    All this talk about octaves is interesting! I got my degree in music but I don't ever remember talk about what ranges are possible with the human voice... probably because I wasn't a vocalist so it didn't really matter to me, but I did have to take several sigh-singing courses as a part of my major, you would have thought someone would mention it.

I would have guessed it true that Mariah Carey had 6 octaves or more, but I didn't consider that the lower range is what you would need to have a range that extended and she does not have the low range. Given that, I guess it does make sense that she only has a 4 octave range. It is a little hard for me to believe that Axl Rose can get as high as Mariah Carey, though, so I also am in doubt that he has more range than her. Does someone test these things, or do we just go on what the artist says their highest and lowest note are?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Maybe he is just waiting for you to go "Humans are bastards", so he can go "Thank you! Yes! A+!".

This reminds me of an extremely good classical literature professor I had back in the late 90s, who when talking to him privately about something, asked me what I thought the theme of Medea was. To which I replied, "Nobody's any damn good."

If you're curious what prompted this conversation, it was that Prof had done an in-class assignment where he asked us to write down whether we liked Jason or Medea more, and why. And as they are both complete shitlords I had a real hard time picking one, but finally went with Jason, since Medea killed her kids and all. If she had only killed Jason's new GF I would have chosen her, but kid killing is going pretty deep into fucked-up land.

So after class I went up to the professor and told him that I hadn't wanted to put either name down, that the only person who I had a slightly less negative opinion for was the king who offered Medea sanctuary in his kingdom. He asks me if I understood what the king's deal is, and I said, "he's impotent" and that Medea was going to help him with that. (As an aside, I was an incredibly sheltered young lady, and having the bravery to say the word "impotent" out loud to anyone was a landmark moment for me, which is probably why this memory lasted so long) . So yeah, that guy was just as big an asshole as the rest, because he's harboring a child murder so she can get his dick up. That's when I proposed the theory that the play's theme was that nobody is any damn good.

In that same class, we did a mock trial of Oedipus. The prosecution pointed out that Oedipus wasn't tragic because the thing that started it all was that he killed a man in a fit of road rage, and I haven't been able to see Oedipus as anything other than a ragey dumbass pulling a gun on someone who cut him off in traffic ever since.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Male vocalists with practiced falsetto tend to be able to cheat a bit on their vocal ranges. A baritone basically gets 3-3.5 octaves for free, even if it's not all the most comfortable to sing.

For testing, it is super easy. Someone plays a note and you sing it. Find the lowest you can do and the highest you can do. Takes very little time and is a thing most vocal coaches do day one to figure out how to help you.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Male vocalists with practiced falsetto tend to be able to cheat a bit on their vocal ranges. A baritone basically gets 3-3.5 octaves for free, even if it's not all the most comfortable to sing.

For testing, it is super easy. Someone plays a note and you sing it. Find the lowest you can do and the highest you can do. Takes very little time and is a thing most vocal coaches do day one to figure out how to help you.

Even using my upper register I can't get as high as Mariah Carey, not even in some out-of-tune way. It's nuts.

This does remind me of a story I heard in one of my vocal classes where some historical music figure was training his wife's voice, and to get her to extend her range he'd just always tell her she was flat. So every day she extended higher without realizing it. I don't know if I find this brilliant or shitty of him.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    After some dicking around it seems like I can hit 4 octaves pretty consistently with falsetto. Loosening up the vocal chords really makes a big difference, this morning I couldn't do shit.

I miss karaoke.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The only way I'm hitting four octaves is with a microphone next to my butt as I loose a whistler

• Options
    Texas Gov't prof was supposed to put up the test today but he didn't. I sent him an email, I wanted to take the test today and have it over. It'll be annoying if it's tomorrow instead, because I was expecting to have an interview with J.P. Morgan then. Though they haven't given me a time yet so who knows. And yes I know it won't take all day to do an interview, but I was hoping to study for it first and I can't do that if I haven't finished the test yet.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My mom is a professional musician and opera singer and does vocal coaching. Those videos are physically harming me.

edit: I can't tell if this is actually serious advice or if it's a joke and she's taking the piss out of herself, but on the off chance it's serious: do not sing with this much tension in your voice ever. At best you're going to sound pitchy and struggle to hit high or low notes, and at worst you're going to damage your vocal cords.

The exercises themselves aren't necessarily bad, but the way she explains to do them is not great and the example she's setting really stinks.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I have found that changing pitch is more to do with how you squeeze your cheeks during the expulsion.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I have found that changing pitch is more to do with how you squeeze your cheeks during the expulsion.

Remember to make sure your throat pouch is properly inflated.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Remember to make sure your throat pouch is properly inflated.

Also, people seem to think it's heat that lets you hit the high notes, but in reality an ice cube applied to the taint will get your pitch higher than a red-hot poker in the same spot.

This discussion has been closed.