Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    It's important to note this is why you set up an LLC and separate business accounts so your primary checking doesn't get hammered.

The funny thing is paypal and ebay pushed me to set up as a LLC with the amount of items I was selling and to get a business account
    My bank no they were fine with I using my account for both checking and business

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Took sick day.

Feel guilty about taking sick day

Congestion headache on sick day

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Etsy fucking sucks?

Wow, who could have known?

I hope they get sued into oblivion.

• Options
    Honestly, families should report being positive with covid 24 hours after the first class. Just kick that shit into high gear and let everyone isolate again.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Honestly, families should report being positive with covid 24 hours after the first class. Just kick that shit into high gear and let everyone isolate again.

I work with someone that disappeared last week. Just before he did he spent two whole days complaining about the cost of a test [he is one of the two people with a cough they have had for months}
    As i said after he called in again he either has it or TB

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So I had someone call in and ask for help with a site.

The address they gave?

4th South North at 87th Avenue North.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

The address they gave?

Ah, on the eastern westside?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2020
    My productivity level after two weeks of vacation:

giphy.gif

Echo on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh boy I hope Etsy loves being bankrupted by lawsuits, because that's how you get bankrupted by lawsuits.

Etsy is a hot mess. This isn't even the first time it's accidentally(?) taken thousands of dollars from sellers.

edit: I read an interesting and well-researched theory not too long ago that Etsy is mostly a front for international money laundering, which is why their actual business is so awful. I'll post it if I can find it again - it's entertaining if nothing else.

Sure wish there were a decent alternative to Etsy for finding artisans, crafters, and small businesses online, though :sad:

Calica on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Isn't QA the first thing to go when a company starts layoffs?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Oh boy I hope Etsy loves being bankrupted by lawsuits, because that's how you get bankrupted by lawsuits.

Etsy is a hot mess. This isn't even the first time it's accidentally(?) taken thousands of dollars from sellers.

edit: I read an interesting and well-researched theory not too long ago that Etsy is mostly a front for international money laundering, which is why their actual business is so awful. I'll post it if I can find it again - it's entertaining if nothing else.

Sure wish there were a decent alternative to Etsy for finding artisans, crafters, and small businesses online, though :sad:

That's the thing, I really want to support individual artists and crafters instead of buying stuff from Amazon when I can, but the only place I know of to actually find them is Etsy. Which is notoriously awful to their sellers.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Damn they really Michael Bolton-ed that code up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

The address they gave?

The city of Tacoma is chock full of developments that are 123456 S 1st court SE, near 123456 S 1st st se.

While I do understand numbering conventions, its annoying as fuck.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

The address they gave?

Ah, on the eastern westside?

Whoa hold on now let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Clearly it's on the East West Westside.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Isn't there a road in St. Louis that intersects itself? So you end up with the intersection of Lasalle and Lasalle or something like that?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I work with someone that disappeared last week. Just before he did he spent two whole days complaining about the cost of a test [he is one of the two people with a cough they have had for months}
    As i said after he called in again he either has it or TB

Complaining that the cost of the test is 0?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Boss, clearly only half listening to a call: Hey, Drez, can you set up a meeting on that thing they just talked about?
    Me: Umm, sure.
    Boss: Yeah we need to move quick on this.
    Me: *checks boss's calendar availability via Outlook*

Today: Totally booked
    Tomorrow: Totally booked
    Every day for the next week and a half: Totally booked

Me: *rage intensifies*

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Boss, clearly only half listening to a call: Hey, Drez, can you set up a meeting on that thing they just talked about?

See if there's anything in there that sounds dreadful and double-book them.

• Options
    Offshore resource: Hi Drez
    Offshore resource: Good morning
    Me: good morning
    Me: whats up

*15 minutes pass while I contemplate why they can't just ask their questions without the preamble and invariable waiting game*

Offshore resource: sorry for the late response
    Me: np
    Me: whats up
    Offshore resource: [paraphrasing] hi, I'm going to send you an email explaining that I still don't have an answer to the /very important question/ you asked weeks ago. I just want to communicate my /total lack of progress/ to you and everyone else on that email chain.
    Me: great. thanks a bunch.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

I only have the ability to see what blocks of time are "busy" on other people's calendars (I'm not an admin or anything, just a slowly BAE (Business Analyst Extraordinare) - I can't actually see what meetings he has, only that he has them.

Otherwise, that is absolutely what I would do.

Also, I thought up that BAE thing on the spot and I'm going to be putting that on a business card for when society reopens for flirtation purposes. Whenever some random woman asks me what I do for a living, I don't know what to say because "Business Analyst" is so boring. I'm just going to tell them from now on that I'm BAE... "or at least that's what you'll think of me eventually."

maybe I deserve my life

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Really wish I could fire the company that we lease our parking from.

Weaver on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Maybe you can put that on a coffee mug you ordered from Etsy once you get an answer on where to order time machines from.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Really wish I could fire the company that we lease our parking from.

Adverse possession!

• Options
    Maybe you can put that on a coffee mug you ordered from Etsy once you get an answer on where to order time machines from.

Good point!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Took our facilities warehouse two weeks to get back to me that yes, they can get us a replacement microwave. You slow fucks that's why we just bought one at home depot.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I only have the ability to see what blocks of time are "busy" on other people's calendars (I'm not an admin or anything, just a slowly BAE (Business Analyst Extraordinare) - I can't actually see what meetings he has, only that he has them.

Otherwise, that is absolutely what I would do.

Also, I thought up that BAE thing on the spot and I'm going to be putting that on a business card for when society reopens for flirtation purposes. Whenever some random woman asks me what I do for a living, I don't know what to say because "Business Analyst" is so boring. I'm just going to tell them from now on that I'm BAE... "or at least that's what you'll think of me eventually."

maybe I deserve my life

Considering a major defense supplier is BAE systems, might not be best to reuse that acronym. Also "x extraordinaire" used to be how my analyst group described people who couldn't find their own feet with a map.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Facilities team in my building is doing floors, so my access is curtailed since they don't want me walking or dragging stuff all over the floors they're currently cleaning and waxing and such. Fair.

But I'm in the restaurant trying to update the firmware for the Newline panel so it will connect to the correct wireless. There's a bug where it can't connect to networks with a password. Fine, I'll connect it to the guest network, force an authentication since the Newline won't automatically load the portal page, and update the firmware that way.

Whooopsy, for some reason it can't fully finish the OTA update on the guest wireless. Now it's stuck at 67% and demanding I try again, only I can't actually do anything because it started. Fine, I've got a 14 foot ethernet cable on me, I can connect it to one of the four ports it's currently near. Nope, none of them are connected. It's new it enough that it probably won't be irrevocably broken if I power it off to move it to where I know a working port is, but is that a chance I want to take?

No. The power cable for the board is about 25 feet long, and the board itself is mounted on a cart. I wheel it as far as I can without being in danger of pulling the plug out of the wall, but my 14 foot ethernet cable still is about 10-15 feet short of the port. Luckily there's a VOIP phone nearby, and there's a passthrough port on the back of it, and the cable it has stretches juuust far enough that I can set it on the floor and connect the board to the phone by ethernet, which passes it through to the network proper. It is now updating.

All of this because I couldn't get to my office or one of my three storage closets where I have ethernet cables significantly longer than 14 feet.
    7zv254rcozkg.jpg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

That's when you tell them, "You're totally booked for the next week and a half. What can I bump?"

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    We had problems with sending out invoices and price notifications a couple of weeks ago, the usual "IT says they didn't change anything", "IT says they really didn't change anything", "IT are saying they changed something on the exact date this problem started", but at least it was fixed.

Today I had a call from a customer saying they still haven't received either since we sent some through manually three weeks ago. I said I would send it immediately, I would chase with our IT and I would set it up so it was sent manually going forward until the problem is solved and then I hung up and then, according to two of my colleagues, I hissed like a cobra. Entirely involuntary sound just escaping from my head in more ways than one.

I'm going on vacation in a week. Just a week away.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    My work moved to a new inventory management system but because of covid no one could fly down to show us how to use it. I'm getting a lot of reading done so far this week.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

The address they gave?

This address in SLC by any chance?

I once had a customer give me a home address of, "40 32nd street" and when I couldn't find it, she just said "40 32nd street!" even louder. And then a third time even louder. Her actual address? 4030 2nd street. Use submarine numbers!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My work moved to a new inventory management system but because of covid no one could fly down to show us how to use it. I'm getting a lot of reading done so far this week.

oooof. What system?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

The address they gave?

I once had a customer give me a home address of, "40 32nd street" and when I couldn't find it, she just said "40 32nd street!" even louder. And then a third time even louder. Her actual address? 4030 2nd street. Use submarine numbers!

Use what?

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

oooof. What system?

Solumina/SAP.

HQ has been talking about how we needed to switch to align our systems with theirs for almost five years and finally scheduled it for this year and I guess there was too much institutional inertia to delay the rollout again.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

The address they gave?

Use what?

Submarine numbers. Like if your phone number is 784-8041 you just say each number individually, instead of saying "Seven Eight Four, Eighty Forty-One." It's impossible to confuse the individual numbers. It's also fewer syllables, and therefore easier.

• Options

The address they gave?

Use what?

Submarine numbers. Like if your phone number is 784-8041 you just say each number individually, instead of saying "Seven Eight Four, Eighty Forty-One." It's impossible to confuse the individual numbers. It's also fewer syllables, and therefore easier.

Oh. I didn't know that was referred to as submarine numbers. Thanks.

• Options
    Thanks, I hate it.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

The address they gave?

Use what?

My wife once gave out our old zipcode of 20009 as Two Thousand Nine

Do you mean ex-wife?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Hahahah

Local Schools: There is nothing more important than reopening our schools!
    Local University med center with extremely well regarded infectious disease department: Reopening the schools are going to be horrific!

News: Guess there is no harm in reopening the schools!

HAHAHAHAHASOB

At least one of the doctors gives it no more than three weeks before the schools have to shut again. I just have to dodge Covid for that long.

How is it so hard for superintendents to understand that kids are terrible disease vectors and have no idea how to, or interest in, wear PPE. This is going to literally kill children and all they can think about is making their job a bit easier.

I think I'm going to make it my job to keep track of the number of students and staff in the district that get covid, write it on a big sign and go to every school board meeting and just hold it up in the back.

You very literally should do this. Join on zoom too and just make your background that number, don't even have to turn on your camera.

I'm not entirely sure how to find out when a student or staff member test positive though.

This is what's making me increasingly nervous. Are administrators going to inform faculty when a student or staff-member is quarantined due to COVID, or just our own students, or are we just going to have to guess? Nothing my district or schools have put out to us has clarified this incredibly important item.
    Camera perspectives are always better if they view you from straight-on or slightly above.

I started putting my laptop on a stack of books on my desk for videos and zooms this past spring. Much better than before.

What have other groups/companies been doing? Because on the one hand you'd want to know, on the other (for good reason) you can't just go sharing medical info about people. Just reasonable privacy concerns, never mind hiipa

I don't know what other companies have been doing since everyone I know is either a teacher or able to work from home. Also, teachers have access to all kinds of private information, including HIPAA information, about students already. Which is why we go through privacy training. So basically, I do think there is a way to inform teachers that there have been active COVID cases in their classes, or at the very least, they've likely been exposed. I understand privacy concerns, but we're talking about hundreds of people being in contact with them in the course of a single day. The district needs to have a policy for this, even if it's simply some form of "all of you in this group need to be tested for COVID because you've been exposed." And then there's the question of how many active cases will there be before the district decides to shut down in-person classes. We haven't been given any idea what they're thinking on that either. And we start school on the 7th in an area with currently rising case numbers and hospitalizations, so you know, it would be nice to know there's some kind of plan in place before it's just a panic response.

This discussion has been closed.