As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't let anyone within six feet of you(tube)

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJwHsdb9pSY

Kinda want to watch Krull now. It looks very '80s.

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I can confirm that Krull is mega-80s. I must have watched it a dozen times. Everyone in my neighborhood created homemade boomerang Glaive.

A mark of Are You An Old now is whether you think the Glaive came from Krull or Warframe.

damn it, I read this and thought "I think I'm An Old now" to the tune of "I Think We're Alone Now" and it's stuck in my head, so with any luck it's now stuck in yours.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Everytime I see a cat make these insane leaps I always hope that they end up totally fucking beefing it 2 steps later after tripping over their own feet.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Still think they could have just reskinned crysis into a predator video game

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I also reject the notion that it's being mismanaged, and simply a shift in what appeals to the demographic, kinda like what happened to Kamen Rider in the 90s

As Taka points out in the video, they can't even make dinosaurs sell, and dinosaurs are basically their trump card (and it's not like Ninninger was exactly a crossover story like LuPat was)

Kamen Rider is, if anything, an aberration in terms of business models now, it's just an unstoppable juggernaut that is so versatile

The model to follow for anything else in the space is how TsuPro revived Ultraman, which was fucking dead as hell: shorter, semi regular series and HEAVY usage of web content

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the Predator 2 blade disc looks nothing like the Krull glaive, what the hell are yall on

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    the Predator 2 blade disc looks nothing like the Krull glaive, what the hell are yall on

Yeah, it's a disc, not a star.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I also reject the notion that it's being mismanaged, and simply a shift in what appeals to the demographic, kinda like what happened to Kamen Rider in the 90s

As Taka points out in the video, they can't even make dinosaurs sell, and dinosaurs are basically their trump card (and it's not like Ninninger was exactly a crossover story like LuPat was)

Kamen Rider is, if anything, an aberration in terms of business models now, it's just an unstoppable juggernaut that is so versatile

The model to follow for anything else in the space is how TsuPro revived Ultraman, which was fucking dead as hell: shorter, semi regular series and HEAVY usage of web content

I wonder how much of Kamen Rider's success could be pinned on the decision to back-seating the Monster-of-the-Week stuff for the Rider vs Rider plot lines.

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »

I wonder how much of Kamen Rider's success could be pinned on the decision to back-seating the Monster-of-the-Week stuff for the Rider vs Rider plot lines.

The top two demographics for Kamen Rider, from what I understand, are boys 9-12 and women 18-24

So as long as the handsome boys are grabbing each others' shirts and yelling about ideology, it's gonna be dine

Also as taka mentions, the existence of Legend Rider Merch (a widget for the current toy that is themed after a previous guy) is a large subset of KR merch

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/PZoaKzEXzi8
    I could do without Hank Green doing a pseudo-asmr voice but the footage is pretty good. Single cell organisms the size of a grain of rice, bananas

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

The dreadful AvP movie one does for some reason

Say why was that movie set in Antarctica the predatory aliens known as Yautja are established preferers of hot and humid climates which Antarctica does not have on both counts

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

The dreadful AvP movie one does for some reason

Say why was that movie set in Antarctica the predatory aliens known as Yautja are established preferers of hot and humid climates which Antarctica does not have on both counts

It used to, I suppose. How long have they been coming here? Maybe they left some sweet dinosaur heads in storage there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Is there a way to set twitter so that it buffers the video in the highest quality? I'm getting tired of "hey let's start this clip as an artifact-laden mess that maybe will switch to watchable quality when you're almost through"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Is there a way to set twitter so that it buffers the video in the highest quality? I'm getting tired of "hey let's start this clip as an artifact-laden mess that maybe will switch to watchable quality when you're almost through"
    Twitter isn't in the business of making its website more functional

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Twitter isn't in the business of making its website more functional

Yeeeaaahhhh that's what I feared. Why would they WITH ALL THAT GODDAMN MONEY

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Instead of making Super Sentai, they should just adapt Power Rangers for the Japanese market, way cheaper.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    Instead of making Super Sentai, they should just adapt Power Rangers for the Japanese market, way cheaper.

goddamnit

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

You joke, but they actually dubbed and released the Western adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, back in Japan.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    What am I missing with these "Helvetica Standard" videos? I find them utterly baffling.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    What am I missing with these "Helvetica Standard" videos? I find them utterly baffling.

tbh those rhythm game ones aren't very good imo (or aren't a very good representation)

but basically it's a recent meme based on a recurring segment on slice-of-life anime Nichijou, where something silly or absurd happens to comedic effect

(why it's just started up now after the original show has been off the air for years I have no idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxG2jqqXW4U

this one gives a pretty good feel for the original tone and whatnot

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

That's basically the point, yeah. "Helvitica Standard" was a recurring segment in the comedy anime Nichijou that featured random, outlandish gag sequences that were completely disconnected from the rest of the show and also never explained.

People are just adapting the jingle + text overlay from the show to videos that feel like they might be a Helvitica Standard sequence (with some working a lot better than others imo)

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    personally my favorite (and most in the spirit) is probably this one

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Even though I haven't properly watched the show, I feel like I should have somehow known it was a Nichijou reference. In fact I've definitely seen clips from the show with those bits, but not in a while, I guess.

Thanks.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    nichijou is good

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I can confirm that Krull is mega-80s. I must have watched it a dozen times. Everyone in my neighborhood created homemade boomerang Glaive.

A mark of Are You An Old now is whether you think the Glaive came from Krull or Warframe.

Predator, no? Most people would know that weapon from there.

The thirty-year-old movie?

That had like twenty games made from it?

There's been maybe two "real" Predator games released in the last ten years (2010's Aliens vs. Predator, 2020's Predator: Hunting Grounds). Prior to that was... what, 2005's Predator: Concrete Jungle? 2007 had a PSP game, but that console didn't have the greatest market share.

Reframing the Krull vs. Warframe Are You An Old argument into Predator vs. Warframe still works, I guess, it's just that if you recognize it from Predator the youths will still consider you An Old. If you're 20, chances are that you never played a Predator game or watched a Predator movie. Maybe you saw 2018's The Predator?

It's a very 90s/early aughts franchise that's desperately trying to stay relevant through nostalgic revisits.

I dunno, Predator was in Mortal Kombat and they just keep making not so great movies about it. I bet youths know what Predator is as a brand, even if they're not fans. I would even make the (completely impossible to prove, probably) statement that the Predator character is still much better known to pop culture than the niche video game Warframe. Predator was movies, comics, games, and toys, Warframe is a single game with a decent sized player base.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You joke, but they actually dubbed and released the Western adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, back in Japan.

Oh, this gets better. Since Bandai owns the Kamen Rider franchise, you'll only find SH FiguArts figures of Kamen Rider characters in the collector levels, since that's Bandai's collector figure line.

Except for Ryuki - they got a Figma line, because the makers were able to get the Dragon Knight license.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

There's been maybe two "real" Predator games released in the last ten years (2010's Aliens vs. Predator, 2020's Predator: Hunting Grounds). Prior to that was... what, 2005's Predator: Concrete Jungle? 2007 had a PSP game, but that console didn't have the greatest market share.

Reframing the Krull vs. Warframe Are You An Old argument into Predator vs. Warframe still works, I guess, it's just that if you recognize it from Predator the youths will still consider you An Old. If you're 20, chances are that you never played a Predator game or watched a Predator movie. Maybe you saw 2018's The Predator?

It's a very 90s/early aughts franchise that's desperately trying to stay relevant through nostalgic revisits.

I dunno, Predator was in Mortal Kombat and they just keep making not so great movies about it. I bet youths know what Predator is as a brand, even if they're not fans. I would even make the (completely impossible to prove, probably) statement that the Predator character is still much better known to pop culture than the niche video game Warframe. Predator was movies, comics, games, and toys, Warframe is a single game with a decent sized player base.

The Predator's got brand recognition, yeah, but the spinny shuriken Glaives?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Is there a Predator product where it doesn't use that out there? I don't honestly know if that's a thing in MK, but it consistently checks off the boxes of its arsenal in each game and movie I've seen.

• Options

They're gonna have to when toei stops making sentai, and hasbro would be more willing to do this than saban

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

That's basically the point, yeah. "Helvitica Standard" was a recurring segment in the comedy anime Nichijou that featured random, outlandish gag sequences that were completely disconnected from the rest of the show and also never explained.

People are just adapting the jingle + text overlay from the show to videos that feel like they might be a Helvitica Standard sequence (with some working a lot better than others imo)

Man, I'm really glad to learn this. I accidentally watched a really good one the first time these cropped up, and I have been so confused about the uneven output ever since.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Is there a Predator product where it doesn't use that out there? I don't honestly know if that's a thing in MK, but it consistently checks off the boxes of its arsenal in each game and movie I've seen.

It does not appear in the original Predator motion picture and in the sequel it appears as a muderous discus rather than a Krull thing it appears as the Krull thing in the putrescent AvP and perhaps onwards I would not know

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I love choco tacos

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Prove it

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

They're gonna have to when toei stops making sentai, and hasbro would be more willing to do this than saban

that's the wildest thing about the hasbro purchase, honestly

no way power rangers would continue without sentai footage under saban (or under disney, for that matter)

but hasbro doesn't invest in anything it doesn't intend to use forever

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

by all accounts dragon knight was genuinely great, I've been meaning to watch some

saban's masked rider, by contrast, is a nightmare, and only worth seeking out for the morbidly curious or those looking for a hate watch

This discussion has been closed.