As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Bloomberg wrote:
    “We should not at all attempt to do anything to that will create more distrust and division,” Manchin told reporters on Wednesday. “So I think there’s enough good that we can all come together. That’s what we should work on.”

The West Virginia Democrat’s independent streak is posing challenges for Schumer in a Senate split 50-50 between the parties as he tries to push through President Joe Biden’s agenda. Manchin has also resisted pressure to end the filibuster, which requires 60 votes to act on most legislation.

What a miserable, useless man

GOP is working to disenfranchise anyone who statistically is likely to oppose their Forever Rule, and this asshole is begging for folks to be nice to them

Just fucking defect already and be done with it

Eh. Honestly, this is all posturing until the vote. Draft a bill that Manchin supports and then see how he handles failed cloture.

By supporting the continued existence of the Filibuster, like he's stated. Maybe they manage to reform it to something where it means we get a week of Lindsay Graham reading a phone book and then Voting Rights, but probably not.

Biden's legislative agenda is over outside of budgetary issues that can pass via Reconciliation. At this point Congress will mostly be useful for filling appointments and oversight hearings, since Manchin being a Democrat means we have Committee Chairs and gavels.

Or just like it was for the judicial filibuster, all the posturing blowhards fall in line and they nuke the damn thing after the entire agenda is blocked by every Republican.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Bloomberg wrote:
    “We should not at all attempt to do anything to that will create more distrust and division,” Manchin told reporters on Wednesday. “So I think there’s enough good that we can all come together. That’s what we should work on.”

The West Virginia Democrat’s independent streak is posing challenges for Schumer in a Senate split 50-50 between the parties as he tries to push through President Joe Biden’s agenda. Manchin has also resisted pressure to end the filibuster, which requires 60 votes to act on most legislation.

GOP is working to disenfranchise anyone who statistically is likely to oppose their Forever Rule, and this asshole is begging for folks to be nice to them

Eh. Honestly, this is all posturing until the vote. Draft a bill that Manchin supports and then see how he handles failed cloture.

By supporting the continued existence of the Filibuster, like he's stated. Maybe they manage to reform it to something where it means we get a week of Lindsay Graham reading a phone book and then Voting Rights, but probably not.

Biden's legislative agenda is over outside of budgetary issues that can pass via Reconciliation. At this point Congress will mostly be useful for filling appointments and oversight hearings, since Manchin being a Democrat means we have Committee Chairs and gavels.

Or just like it was for the judicial filibuster, all the posturing blowhards fall in line and they nuke the damn thing after the entire agenda is blocked by every Republican.

Sure, but I don't think he's bluffing. And that would require 100% of Senate Democrats to agree since there is not margin.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bloomberg wrote:

Sure, but I don't think he's bluffing. And that would require 100% of Senate Democrats to agree since there is not margin.

Posturing and demanding concessions is how manchin keeps his seat. Now Sinema? I'm not sure what she's doing, but Kelly should really pull her aside and point out their comparative polling numbers

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Bloomberg wrote:

I've had more than enough Majority Leader Mcconnell, thanks

He’s ensuring that’s all you’ll get in the future

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Manchin is against improved voting rights period. Improved voting rights means potentially more Dems in the senate, at which point Manchin not only loses his coveted "Decider" position, but it's more likely shit will come to the table that he'll have to vote yay or nay on and the less he'll be able to appeal to dems or pubs, depending on how he votes.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That sort of assumes Manchin wants to be the decider. It would be a lot easier, for one thing, to be able to vote against some Democratic bills and not face much national scrutiny or pushback while also scoring brownie points with his constituents, if the Democrats had a safe majority even without his vote.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I... have no fucking idea what Manchin wants anymore. Some people say he's this or that, others say it's all just telling the media and the people back home what they want to hear.
    I'm tired of trying to guess or puzzle it out.
    I'm so fucking tired of all of this shit. And I'm afraid the only way it's going to end is with us losing.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I... have no fucking idea what Manchin wants anymore. Some people say he's this or that, others say it's all just telling the media and the people back home what they want to hear.
    I'm so fucking tired of all of this shit. And I'm afraid the only way it's going to end is with us losing.

I mean if we look at his track record it seems “pave the way for permanent republican minority rule” seems the endgame

Maybe he’ll be happy as the token Democrat from West Virginia

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, Manchin and Sinema are being dumbfucks. Keeping the filibuster actually works against them because it results in a term record where all of their votes end up aligned with the other democrats and then they don't to run on their bullshit bipartisan nonsense because they simply don't have such a record from this Congress. I'd think both would want HR1 to pass because if more democrats get voted in, then they'd get a chance to vote against a bill that the rest of the democrats voted for and have their shitty bipartisan record. Also probably gets them much less unwanted attention because they can't really be an end all be all on something getting passed, if there are other votes.

Anyways, democrats should push HR1 through. If Manchin can't will himself to break the GOP's anti-democracy setups, well he has much less value for the party and the nation as a whole.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Honestly, Manchin and Sinema are being dumbfucks. Keeping the filibuster actually works against them because it results in a term record where all of their votes end up aligned with the other democrats and then they don't to run on their bullshit bipartisan nonsense because they simply don't have such a record from this Congress. I'd think both would want HR1 to pass because if more democrats get voted in, then they'd get a chance to vote against a bill that the rest of the democrats voted for and have their shitty bipartisan record. Also probably gets them much less unwanted attention because they can't really be an end all be all on something getting passed, if there are other votes.

Anyways, democrats should push HR1 through. If Manchin can't will himself to break the GOP's anti-democracy setups, well he has much less value for the party and the nation as a whole.

Democratic leadership could go the other way.

I went through his wiki (yeah, not the most reliable source), and this list of policies seem like they'd also be a slam dunk for Democrats.

Broadband access, substance abuse (specifically opiods), AUMF repeal and arms sales restrictions, child homelesness, and infrastructure.

Also, obviously, reintroducing Manchin-Toomey gun control, and the Manchin-Blunt HIRE Veterans act.

Basically put up a half dozen bills that Republicans simply will not let pass. He still thinks he can get Republicans on side to "bipartisanship" things. Prove him wrong, on things that Democrats should want anyway.

Sure, they're not necessarily the priorities that need to be done first, but until the filibuster is gone, those priorities (infrastructure excepted) are dead on arrival anyway.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The fact that he keeps teasing this out says that he is open to changing at some point, I think. Now, where that point is or how much he's willing ro change, I don't know.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Breaking: Georgia House passes 95 page GOP voter suppression bill allowing GOP takeover of state/county election boards, unlimited challenges to voter eligibility, restricting drop boxes & making it crime to give voters food & water in line
    Georgia House voter suppression bill includes massively undemocratic power grab giving GOP legislature control of state election board, allowing them to take over county election boards & stripping power from GOP sec of state after he stood up to Trump
    While Georgia House GOP bill keeps weekend voting for general election, it eliminates weekend voting for runoffs after @ossoff & @ReverendWarnock won in Jan

Black voters made up 30% of early voters but 39% of weekend voters during runoff, finds @fairfightaction

Ari Berman is a writer for Mother Jones.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's the food and water one that really jumps out. It's just so blatantly evil that it shows they don't care about hiding it anymore.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's the food and water one that really jumps out. It's just so blatantly evil that it shows they don't care about hiding it anymore.

Very Christian of them to deny water to the thirsty and food to the hungry.

• Options
    Yeah, it shows that the republicans are fucking scum and traitors. Every republican politician that writes a bill to suppress the vote, should be charged with treason, convicted and then thrown in a cold dark cellar to rot.

I really hope the residents in DC start to coordinate. Make it a point to ensure that any republican's experience in DC is fucking miserable. Maybe they'll be less incline to rig things to steal wins, if it means whichever fucking pig in their ranks gets to deal with not being able to do anything in DC. No, access to the stores. No, access to restaurants or other leisure venues. No, access to cabs or mass transit. Constantly called a fucking piece of shit. Maybe even export that to their capitals because most people in large cities are fucking entitled fascist pieces of shit. I'm starting to think our problem here is that we're too polite to these fuckers. They don't to respect our society's democracy, so maybe society needs to make very clear they aren't fucking welcome and they don't get the benefits.

• Options

Very Christian of them to deny water to the thirsty and food to the hungry.

They're just promoting christian efficiency. Now you can get nearly half of the corporal acts of mercy done in one go:

Feed the hungry.
    Give water to the thirsty.
    Visit the imprisoned or ransom the captive.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

Does the wording allow for an exception for sweet tea?

• Options
    Someone said this will be challenged in court, and IMO they're right.
    In fact, I expect it to go all the way to the SCOTUS, who will rule "nah, this is fine."
    :(

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    In fact, I expect it to go all the way to the SCOTUS, who will rule "nah, this is fine."

I think Gorsuch would be a wild card here, but it's really hard to say.

At the very least it's likely going to be held up from implementation while it works it's way through both state and federal courts.

It's not much, but it's something. Of course the system is about to be inundated with challenges to this sort of law all over the country, which is likely to speed the through because scotus isn't going to be able to kick the can more than a couple times.

As I'm sure most are aware, one of the more infuriating things about this is that even to a layperson it's blatantly unconstitutional to the point of farce, but of course Thomas, Alito, Barrett and probably Beerrape McGee are going to twist basic english to justify upholding it. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Maybe. Even probably.

What seems a dead set certainty is that it'll be delayed enough that if they do rule against, it'll be after the next election.

The one apparent axiom of this SCOTUS, is that if they do have to rule against utter bullshit that should be a slam dunk rejection, they'll procrastinate until the issue is moot.

• Options

At the very least it's likely going to be held up from implementation while it works it's way through both state and federal courts.

It's not much, but it's something. Of course the system is about to be inundated with challenges to this sort of law all over the country, which is likely to speed the through because scotus isn't going to be able to kick the can more than a couple times.

As I'm sure most are aware, one of the more infuriating things about this is that even to a layperson it's blatantly unconstitutional to the point of farce, but of course Thomas, Alito, Barrett and probably Beerrape McGee are going to twist basic english to justify upholding it. :rotate:

majority opinion that the Founders' clear intent was to allow only white male landowners to vote
    concurrence by Barrett that even though the 19th extended the franchise to women, they should be "advised" by their father, husband and/or pastor

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

majority opinion that the Founders' clear intent was to allow only white male landowners to vote
    concurrence by Barrett that even though the 19th extended the franchise to women, they should be "advised" by their father, husband and/or pastor

This ain’t that much parody

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Concurrence by Gorsuch that since the majority of land is now owned by corporations, they should be able to vote in lieu of their non-landowning employees.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Manchin is a boomer who finally has real, tangible power that cannot be ignored and desperately wants to make everyone in the nation very, very clear that he holds it

He is a useless, petty piece of shit who should be immediately ejected from the party, and if that gets us a Republican out of WV so be it, at least people won't be able to say "well the Democrats controlled all branches of government and did nothing, nothing at all with all their strength"

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Monwyn wrote: »

Manchin is a boomer who finally has real, tangible power that cannot be ignored and desperately wants to make everyone in the nation very, very clear that he holds it

He is a useless, petty piece of shit who should be immediately ejected from the party, and if that gets us a Republican out of WV so be it, at least people won't be able to say "well the Democrats controlled all branches of government and did nothing, nothing at all with all their strength"

"Nothing at all..."

iibh73csixs3.png

"Nothing at all..."

il0inztmjdru.jpg

"Nothing at all..."

1bb7mwab1353.png

"Nothing at all..."

moniker on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I mean, ceding the Senate to the Republicans would cause harm to many people, especially the marginalized. But we'd have the moral victory.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

Breaking: Georgia House passes 95 page GOP voter suppression bill allowing GOP takeover of state/county election boards, unlimited challenges to voter eligibility, restricting drop boxes & making it crime to give voters food & water in line
    Georgia House voter suppression bill includes massively undemocratic power grab giving GOP legislature control of state election board, allowing them to take over county election boards & stripping power from GOP sec of state after he stood up to Trump
    While Georgia House GOP bill keeps weekend voting for general election, it eliminates weekend voting for runoffs after @ossoff & @ReverendWarnock won in Jan

Black voters made up 30% of early voters but 39% of weekend voters during runoff, finds @fairfightaction

Ari Berman is a writer for Mother Jones.

"Can't let the SLAVES run the PLANTATION!"
    -GOP and Kemp of the State of Georgia.

• Options
    That's the frustrating thing. As shit-awful garbage as Manchin is, he's still better than a Republican in that same seat. That's how low the bar is.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That's the frustrating thing. As shit-awful garbage as Manchin is, he's still better than a Republican in that same seat. That's how low the bar is.

My low bar of being "better than a Republican" includes not blockading all the bills and nominations that the Democrats are trying to put forth, a metric by which Manchin fails utterly.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

My low bar of being "better than a Republican" includes not blockading all the bills and nominations that the Democrats are trying to put forth, a metric by which Manchin fails utterly.

Replace him with a Republican and all of that happens anyway, plus now Mitch Mcconnell controls the Senate agenda again.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

I mean, ceding the Senate to the Republicans would cause harm to many people, especially the marginalized. But we'd have the moral victory.

It's not just a moral victory. Manchin is doing direct and tangible damage to future elections by granting Democrats a majority and preventing them from doing anything with it.

He's spending his term lobbying for Republicans and actively rehabilitating their image in the wake of a very damaging term to make them appear reasonable while eroding Democrats by painting them as radical and partisan for wanting to govern.

He's doing this on purpose.

Javen on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Avoiding a swirling "Manchin sucks" "It's the best we can do" shit storm, could we give advice on how to move things in the right direction?

I've given a hundred to Fair Fight to try and help push things, and called my Senators, (Calif). What else can we do to help fight the suppression? Any other organizations other than Fair Fight that would be good? Maybe a West Virginia one?

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

"Nothing at all..."
    iibh73csixs3.png

"Nothing at all..."

il0inztmjdru.jpg

"Nothing at all..."

1bb7mwab1353.png

"Nothing at all..."

1): Nobody's going to care in two years when they're still making $7.25/hr

2): The people that do care won't be able to vote anyway, so it doesn't matter

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

Manchin's making it pretty clear he's already ceding the Senate to the Republicans!

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Manchin's making it pretty clear he's already ceding the Senate to the Republicans!

He represents a racist ass state. He wants a massive infrastructure bill.

It's all just posturing anyway, put the bill to the floor (especially the infrastructure bill), watch the GOP vote to filibuster it unanimously, and then revisit it. We went through this with judges in 2013.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

"Nothing at all..."
    iibh73csixs3.png

"Nothing at all..."

il0inztmjdru.jpg

"Nothing at all..."

1bb7mwab1353.png

"Nothing at all..."

1): Nobody's going to care in two years when they're still making $7.25/hr

2): The people that do care won't be able to vote anyway, so it doesn't matter

Voting participation has increased the last two elections even with efforts at disenfranchisement. People will still be able to vote in the absence of HR-1 so long as the numerous organizations that have been mentioned in this thread are funded to help people navigate the hoops to be able to undo the damage that Kemp et al are doing.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    More uh "interesting" is that the state legislature can just arbitrarily take over local elections and install whoever they want regardless of the vote. So you can jump through all the hoops perfectly and it won't even matter.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Purely from a political science perspective, the Manchin issue is fascinating because he is absolutely a 80's, early 90's Republican, no ifs, ands, or buts.

That's interesting because, right now, the entirety of what encompassed the spectrum of political identity, just a few decades ago, is now contained entirely within the Democratic party.

The Republican party has moved so far to the right, that they have placed themselves outside of what would have even been considered viable politics, within my lifetime. Obviously there's always the outliers, the holdovers from segregation, and so-on.

What I mean, though, is that, when someone like Biden, who, for better or worse, was well known in their career for "reaching across the isle" to get legislation passed, they were referring to people like Biden and McCain, not Sanders and Cruz. Manchin is as far right as someone like McCain ever was, and as far left as them too. There is no more "reaching across the isle", there's only working within the Democratic party.

Manchin seems infuriating (and he is!) because we try to place him within what we think of as "the left", when he'd have been a moderate right wing Republican 30 years ago, and have been someone who you could expect to sometimes cross the isle and pass legislation with. Now he's considered the extreme "moderate" of the liberal party, and doesn't want to play ball.

It's just the the "ball" is now, functionally, a 52 person Senate, with the Democratic Party, Harris, and the last person being the entirety of the Republican party as one entity.

Which is all to say that, without excusing Manchin's shittiness, his shittiness, at this moment, isn't the actual problem. It's the 50 Republican Senators that don't exist to actually legislate or compromise, or function outside of a unitary obstructionist entity.

I'm not saying don't be mad at Manchin for his shit, for doing the things he does, but it only matters so much because the Republican party has become so destructive and oppressive that in order to knee-cap a functional government, they have taken literally half the pieces off the board, before the game can even begin.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Purely from a political science perspective, the Manchin issue is fascinating because he is absolutely a 80's, early 90's Republican, no ifs, ands, or buts.

That's interesting because, right now, the entirety of what encompassed the spectrum of political identity, just a few decades ago, is now contained entirely within the Democratic party.

The Republican party has moved so far to the right, that they have placed themselves outside of what would have even been considered viable politics, within my lifetime. Obviously there's always the outliers, the holdovers from segregation, and so-on.

What I mean, though, is that, when someone like Biden, who, for better or worse, was well known in their career for "reaching across the isle" to get legislation passed, they were referring to people like Biden and McCain, not Sanders and Cruz. Manchin is as far right as someone like McCain ever was, and as far left as them too. There is no more "reaching across the isle", there's only working within the Democratic party.

Manchin seems infuriating (and he is!) because we try to place him within what we think of as "the left", when he'd have been a moderate right wing Republican 30 years ago, and have been someone who you could expect to sometimes cross the isle and pass legislation with. Now he's considered the extreme "moderate" of the liberal party, and doesn't want to play ball.

It's just the the "ball" is now, functionally, a 52 person Senate, with the Democratic Party, Harris, and the last person being the entirety of the Republican party as one entity.

Which is all to say that, without excusing Manchin's shittiness, his shittiness, at this moment, isn't the actual problem. It's the 50 Republican Senators that don't exist to actually legislate or compromise, or function outside of a unitary obstructionist entity.

I'm not saying don't be mad at Manchin for his shit, for doing the things he does, but it only matters so much because the Republican party has become so destructive and oppressive that in order to knee-cap a functional government, they have taken literally half the pieces off the board, before the game can even begin.

Basically, the senate consists of 50 Americans of various political views and 50 Confederates.

• Options
    More uh "interesting" is that the state legislature can just arbitrarily take over local elections and install whoever they want regardless of the vote. So you can jump through all the hoops perfectly and it won't even matter.

This won't survive court challenge. The optics are fucking awful for the GOP. That and I'm pretty sure this is a very gross and obvious violation of the constitution. I do hope the ACLU plays the "we're entitled to a republican form of government card here.

This discussion has been closed.