As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2021
    Blake T wrote: »
    How do the British make their gravy.

How is it see through?

The gravy you're seeing poured on the biscuits there is either the classic "oxo cube and boiling water" or "bisto and boiling water" where:
    1. OXO cubes are concentrated blocks of stock
    2. Bisto are "gravy granules" that's supposed to mimic the taste of a proper gravy

Unless you go crazy with the granules or add some cornflour paste you're going to get a see-through thin brown liquid.

A "proper gravy" is you mixing the drippings / juices from your roast in the pan you roasted it in, scraping up all the stuff that's stuck to the pan and bulking it out with the water that you boiled your veg in / some potato water to get some starch and thicken it further. BBC recipe but "browning" hasn't been a thing for years.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the first result on that website is like my basic idea of a gravy.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Hey chat, I got some frozen duck breast from my butcher, what should I do with it?

I did this with them. Great success!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I hope you used enough rosemary!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Those look amazing, Tonkka

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought some prawns with the intention of making a seafood based hot and sour soup kind of thing

But someone in the brit thread mentioned fish and chips and God help me now I'm thinking about tempura-ing the wee fuckers

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm question for you folk.I'm doing sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, I'm going to sous vide them, but I think sweet potatoes might be too fibrous for the ricer. Should I try putting the cooked potatoes through my meat grinder?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They would probably rice fine once you pop them out of the skins, sweet potato flesh gets pretty soft once cooked.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh dear

Just realized that there's a brown sugar recall right now.

My one bag is not included, the other bag might have been but it's in the container and I have no idea?

And there's baking to be done this weekend. Hmmmm.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    This looks goddamb tasty. It's not something I'd make just for myself, but I think they'd make great meze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_J4e58eoyY

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Alright, Cooking Thread, question the second: I'm making a pot roast with 1.5 lbs of baby Yukon potatoes, 1 lb of carrots, 1 medium onion cut into eight sections, and about 1.75 lbs of fat-trimmed beef arm roast, all with about 2 cups of liquid. I'm going to start it in my slow cooker on low at around 3:30am, and I won't be home until around 12:45pm. My slow cooker is older and doesn't have an auto-warmer timer.

Do I run the risk of overcooking my roast, and what could I do to mitigate this risk?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    It turned out very very good! bom72ph2awxx.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Y'all has anyone else been watching this season's GBBO because I swear to god it feels HARROWING

I haven't been this emotional over a finale in ages

It also has featured multiple new recipes I'd like to take a whack at, which is a first, usually I'm pretty indifferent on account of not liking cake

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Y'all has anyone else been watching this season's GBBO because I swear to god it feels HARROWING

I haven't been this emotional over a finale in ages

It also has featured multiple new recipes I'd like to take a whack at, which is a first, usually I'm pretty indifferent on account of not liking cake

Yeah previous years I've dipped in and out of it but found this one a bit more compelling.

I'm a bit tired of "this normally takes a day to set in the fridge, please make it in an hour" mind.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This has been a really good season, it feels like anyone out of the last six could have won last year with one hand tied behind their back. I didn't want any one to go home for the last three episodes, they were all a heartbreaker (especially Lizzy).

I'll be good with whoever wins, I can't even pick a favorite.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    I have a question to put to the thread. Is it possible to make matcha at home? I had been glancing online that one can do it by using a grinder on green tea leaves. Is this true? Reason I ask it a friend is seeking remove the amount of soda they drink, but is finding it difficult due to generally disliking the blandness of water, as he says.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You'd have to find the right tea, and be able to grind it real fine. Not sure you'd end up with decent matcha, but there's always the option to just make unsweetened iced tea if that's what you're going for.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Like, legit matcha, no, matcha is processed down to a powder and desiccated, and the tea is made from whipping the powder in hot water.

A reasonable facsimile, or just plain ol’ green tea? Sure, I guess. Most of what passes for “matcha flavor” in sweets or beverages isn’t hardcore legit matcha anyway. I’m skeptical that a simple grinder can get the particles small enough not to be kind of gross texture-wise, and frankly I would recommend loose tea over something ground, but if matcha’s the flavor they want and they don’t have any way to get something that’s not loaded with sugar, I think it’s worth a shot.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    You can buy matcha powder at various online retailers, and I'm pretty sure I saw some at my local supermarket too, even in the middle of nowhere middle Pennsylvania

I bought some a while ago, I think it's still in the cupboard

I made a couple cups, but I couldn't get the right level of froth

I wonder if one of those milk foamer things or a little emulsion blender stick thing would work

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    This has been a really good season, it feels like anyone out of the last six could have won last year with one hand tied behind their back. I didn't want any one to go home for the last three episodes, they were all a heartbreaker (especially Lizzy).

I'll be good with whoever wins, I can't even pick a favorite.

I'd say this year's final four would be locks to make it to the finale for the past several seasons as well and agree they would have won last year in their sleep.

Nobody really fell off after early dominance they mostly stopped winning because others rounded into form and adjusted to the constraints of the show. So often someone wins two of the four first weeks only to mentally unravel and flame out that it sucks getting invested in them.

And for the love of god people mostly went home when they should have relative to their talents this season - nobody skated by being second worse for an annoyingly long time and the only person I think went home early only did so by two weeks at most

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I think for once the GBBO judging has been pretty defensible, which is nice after a pretty shaky run.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I think for once the GBBO judging has been pretty defensible, which is nice after a pretty shaky run.

There definitely seemed to be a trend where certain abrasive personalities or demographic appealers (usually the person whose persona screams "I'm ultra conservative") would just kind of float along till near the semi finals when their talent level usually seems like they should be gone 1/3 of the way through

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finally branded myself with the cast iron tonight. Ouchy. Make sure the entire handle is covered by the pot holder when you're pulling the pan out of the oven!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Finally branded myself with the cast iron tonight. Ouchy. Make sure the entire handle is covered by the pot holder when you're pulling the pan out of the oven!

We all do it eventually. Usually while we're drinking

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    For Thanksgiving this year I contributed some migas (no photo) and honey-dijon glazed carrots as sides:

9bVXFvI.jpg

Very easy to make as the slow cooker did most of the work

xet8c.gif

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Question for you all!

I have my turkey carcass, but no time to make stock. It wouldn't hurt to freeze it for a few days until I have time would it?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2021
    I have a question to put to the thread. Is it possible to make matcha at home? I had been glancing online that one can do it by using a grinder on green tea leaves. Is this true? Reason I ask it a friend is seeking remove the amount of soda they drink, but is finding it difficult due to generally disliking the blandness of water, as he says.

Why not just buy matcha powder?

Although if you're just looking for a more interesting water then seems like regular tea would be a more palatable option, shooting up the earthy flavour scale all the way to matcha in one hit could be asking for trouble unless they're already a matcha fan.

tynic on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Question for you all!

I have my turkey carcass, but no time to make stock. It wouldn't hurt to freeze it for a few days until I have time would it?

Not at all. If are low on time and still want a stock of you have a pressure cooker you can throw it through that to speed things up.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Question for you all!

I usually freeze two or three chicken carcasses for several weeks at a time before making a big batch of stock, so no it won't hurt anything at all!

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

We all do it eventually. Usually while we're drinking

As a clumsy person this makes me very glad that my cast iron pan has a wooden handle that screws off for oven cooking.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah throw that carcass in a freezer bag, it'll keep great

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    haaaaaa those look amazing. you wingin it or is that a recipe you'd made before?

Completely winging it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I tried some direct hot and fast Chinese style ribs in the smoker today. I messed up the salt content, (misread the recipe, while thinking, this seems like a lot of salt) but other than that they turned out well.

z777k1nxjkvy.jpeg
    yh2wudzi502r.jpeg

• Options
    Last year on Christmas, I tried (and half failed) to make a Deep Dish Pizza.

This year I'm thinking bagels. Problem is, who's recipe do I use? All 3 of my favorite YouTube cooks have their own recipe (Babish, Raguesa, and Lagerstrom) though one involves cutting out your own cedar boards with food grade burlap, so thats probably not gonna happen. I hear Clair has a good one too, but all of them are so different and varied, so I guess I gotta do some like...research?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Last year on Christmas, I tried (and half failed) to make a Deep Dish Pizza.

This year I'm thinking bagels. Problem is, who's recipe do I use? All 3 of my favorite YouTube cooks have their own recipe (Babish, Raguesa, and Lagerstrom) though one involves cutting out your own cedar boards with food grade burlap, so thats probably not gonna happen. I hear Clair has a good one too, but all of them are so different and varied, so I guess I gotta do some like...research?

@Peen please help out my friend Skragg with a bagel recipe.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Everything about this looks amazing

brb going to Egypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwTXsTgHBQ

• Options
    @Bucketman I've used this recipe from Epicurious with great success before. I do have a stand mixer so I can't speak to how well it works if you don't have one but I've been very happy with the results.

• Options
    Thank you Peen!

• Options
    No sweat, good luck!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Everything about this looks amazing

brb going to Egypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwTXsTgHBQ

I used to have an Egyptian TA for an 8 AM class that the professor was always late for. The basic routine is that he'd scan the classroom until he found someone eating something sweet, like a muffin, and then harangue us all about ful medames until the prof showed up.

"Why are you eating all that sugar for breakfast? You need protein! Do you know what we eat for breakfast in Egypt?"

"Do you eat bea"

"BEEEEEEANS! We eat beans for breakfast, it is all protein. Not like your muffin."

I still have a small group of friends today who can't say "beans" without someone else shouting BEEEEEANS or "muffin" without someone repeating it with utter disgust and contempt.

He made a batch for the last day of class and served them out in styrofoam coffee cups from the lounge, they were honestly some top-notch breakfast beans.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.