As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Also remember to put your foot in it

I may have my cuisines mixed up

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Oh

So that’s why egg prices have gone up

Fun

Me: I just wanna make ajitama for ramen since I can’t go to the ramen place I like much anymore because distance+COVID

Egg sellers: that’s nice. Will you trade a kidney for ‘em?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wait, seriously? The reason my eggs are literally like five times as expensive as they were a couple years ago is just monopolistic price gouging?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Wait, seriously? The reason my eggs are literally like five times as expensive as they were a couple years ago is just monopolistic price gouging?

Astronaut with a gun: it’s all price gouging

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pretty much all the grocery increases the last couple years are price gouging, they're mostly well over inflation %. The companies are admitting it pretty openly, too, since they know there's no political will to do anything about it.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Farm Action’s full letter to the FTC about it:

https://thebaynet.com/farm-action-calls-for-ftc-to-investigate-record-high-egg-prices/
    “In the end, what Cal-Maine Foods and the other large egg producers did last year — and seem to be intent on doing again this year — is extort billions of dollars from the pockets of ordinary Americans through what amounts to a tax on a staple we all need: eggs,” the letter states. “They did so without any legitimate business justification. They did so because there is no “reasonable substitute” for a carton of eggs. They did so because they had power and weren’t afraid to use it.”

Reuters has now picked up the story so might gain some traction:
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/high-egg-prices-should-be-investigated-us-farm-group-says-2023-01-20/

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/excess-profits-tax
    excess-profits tax, a tax levied on profits in excess of a stipulated standard of “normal” income. There are two principles governing the determination of excess profits. One, known as the war-profits principle, is designed to recapture wartime increases in income over normal peacetime profits of the taxpayer. The other, identified as the high-profits principle, is based on income in excess of some statutory rate of return on invested capital.[/quote

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    As a person that hates eggs, I think it's pretty crazy to say every American needs eggs and there are no reasonable substitute for eggs.

Even if you ignore the JUST EGG mung bean replacement shit or the tofu+turmeric scramble, or your aquafaba, etc.

You can also replace eggs with nothing. I do this all the time and I'm fine! Well,,, I okay. Errr, some days are okay at least!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    As a person that hates eggs, I think it's pretty crazy to say every American needs eggs and there are no reasonable substitute for eggs.

Even if you ignore the JUST EGG mung bean replacement shit or the tofu+turmeric scramble, or your aquafaba, etc.

You can also replace eggs with nothing. I do this all the time and I'm fine! Well,,, I okay. Errr, some days are okay at least!

They're rather important for baking, which is the main thing I use them in. (Yes, there are still other options, but)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Eggs are a cheaper source of protein than most other methods, so being dismissive and rude about it is rude, and to do so unprompted is dickish

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Eggs are a cheaper source of protein than most other methods, so being dismissive and rude about it is rude, and to do so unprompted is dickish

I wasn't being dismissive and rude about eggs and people who like them, I was being dismissive and rude about the letter that Lanz posted which definitely said eggs are a necessity for all Americans and there are no substitutes, which are both factually incorrect.

Quick Google says a dozen eggs costs $2 and gives 12 servings of 6g of protein, 72g/$2

1 lbs of black beans is $1.5 and gives 13 servings of 8g of protein, 104g/$1.5

So I guess I disagree with them being a cheaper source of protein, as well

Side note: I have eggs in my fridge right now, so

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    There’s also fear mongering of shortages to drive up sales volume along with price gouging

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »

They're rather important for baking, which is the main thing I use them in. (Yes, there are still other options, but)

Their importance in baking is actually wildly overstated. There are a small handful of things that they’re “necessary” for, but we’re talking like… meringue, and French style macarons. There are perfectly fine substitutes in 99% of other baked goods, without even getting into any of the specific “egg substitutes” like Just Egg or Ener-G Egg Replacer.

Source: I own a vegan bakery

THAT SAID, they (used to be) a pretty complete meal and a great source of protein at a price point that was hard to beat for folks on a budget. I just did the math and at my local store, the price per egg/“egg” is now exactly at parity between real eggs and Just Egg.

Now, Just Egg has gotten cheaper over the last couple of years, but not THAT cheap. So that’s kind of absurd.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    An agency writing about why the price gouging of eggs is a big problem is probably not going to undercut their point by going "but who needs eggs, right?"

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I’m gonna go eat an egg right now

I cal this snack the Cool Hand Luke

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I wasn't being dismissive and rude about eggs and people who like them, I was being dismissive and rude about the letter that Lanz posted which definitely said eggs are a necessity for all Americans and there are no substitutes, which are both factually incorrect.

Quick Google says a dozen eggs costs $2 and gives 12 servings of 6g of protein, 72g/$2

It’s also a lot easier (and faster) for most people to cook up a few eggs than to make a meal from dry beans.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think looking at something that is, for most people, a staple pantry food, and saying "well technically you don't HAVE to eat this" is either being pointlessly persnickety, or running weird interference for the egg cartels. Like I definitely don't have to eat bread, lotta people don't, but there's a reason bread prices were a direct cause of the french revolution.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I don't see running defense for the industry as much as "well, I don't like eggs and I don't know why anyone would, so what does it matter if they cost more?"

... also as a result of this thread I really want eggs now, maybe I'll get some on the way home. :|

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I don't see running defense for the industry as much as "well, I don't like eggs and I don't know why anyone would, so what does it matter if they cost more?"

well see that would be insanely solipsistic

• Options
    I did work at a chicken vaccine manufacturer, so I am definitely Big Egg

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

This dude has never made anything from beans.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I did work at a chicken vaccine manufacturer, so I am definitely Big Egg

qunpdk0vjrjx.jpeg

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

This dude has never made anything from beans.

I buy canned, generally, but I did make a nice split pea soup last weekend. Sweated some onions and celery, then tossed in some roasted garlic, removed both, threw in some "European style bacon" I needed to use up until it had some crunchy bits in the Dutch oven, deglazed with a small cuo of shitty red wine, threw everything back in with the peas and some veggie stock, simmered for maybe 2 hours.

Pretty good stuff!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’m more shocked that two dollars or considered expensive for eggs. They have never been below like five dollars a carton here.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I’m more shocked that two dollars or considered expensive for eggs. They have never been below like five dollars a carton here.

Well yeah, getting eggs from the warbirds one deals with in Australia is expensive and deadly work

• Options
    Sweet potato kale hash tonight, with sautéed onion, zucchini, green bell pepper, grape tomatoes, and black beans

Then some Mrs Dash Southwest seasoning and smoky chipotle hot sauce

Fuck yeah

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

$2 was a more typical price for eggs before recent hikes. Right now the cheapest eggs I can get at the closest grocery store are $4.59 a dozen for just plain old large white eggs. You used to be able to buy cage-free/organic/antibiotic-free eggs for that price.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

Agricultural products are bonkers cheap in the US because food self-sufficiency was considered a strategic concern during the Cold War, and the calculations included most of the cropland in the industrial Midwest being irradiated and useless. So it was a no-brainer for every budget to shovel more money on the subsidy pile for half a century and for the government to actively buy any surplus we couldn't export. And since Americans all have this national boner for farmers and cowboys, repealing any farm subsidy once it's in place is political suicide. (see also: Government Cheese Caves and bulking out gasoline with corn ethanol.)

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Agricultural products are bonkers cheap in the US because food self-sufficiency was considered a strategic concern during the Cold War, and the calculations included most of the cropland in the industrial Midwest being irradiated and useless. So it was a no-brainer for every budget to shovel more money on the subsidy pile for half a century and for the government to actively buy any surplus we couldn't export. And since Americans all have this national boner for farmers and cowboys, repealing any farm subsidy once it's in place is political suicide. (see also: Government Cheese Caves and bulking out gasoline with corn ethanol.)

well, that and there's like zero safety standards or health inspections or environmental standards you have to adhere to, or ...
    Plus there's a lot of cost-cutting methods in industrial farming implemented precisely to keep prices low, at the expense of things like shelf-life or consumer safety.

(visiting the egg farms of southern Georgia is a quick road to buying local free range eggs for the rest of your life)

• Options
    The chicken vaccines plant I worked at in Kansas made vaccines for chickens in Brazil, and Russia, and were not allowed to sell to American farmers, which made me feel a little better about things at least

• Options
    edited January 2023

... also as a result of this thread I really want eggs now, maybe I'll get some on the way home. :|

I gotta really make some ajitama again soon:

https://youtu.be/F9IepMO2DIc

THIS IS THE BEST FORM OF EGG

THERE IS NO BETTER EGG

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Yeah, $2.00 is no longer the going price for Eggs, at least in Florida. Their around $6 to $8 for regular Large eggs.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lemme see

My go to brand of free range eggs, size 7, which I think is a large egg in the US, a dozen of them are currently $11.80 at the store.

Based on the current exchange rate, that's about $7.64 USD.

Now we're having our egg shortages down here as well, but for completely different reasons than the US.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Ok dinner improv night let’s survey

Zero thawed meat or plant protein, hmm

Sweet potaters
    Leftover butternut squash
    Half a yellow onion
    Carrots
    Bell peppers
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Avocado
    Cilantro
    Salad greens for days
    Garbanzo, pinto, black, kidney beans
    Quinoa, cousy cous, lentils, rice

Hmmmmm couple ways to play this

I could go with a sauté with the peppers and onion and tomatoes

I could go with a root veggie roast

I could also make pico or salsa but I don’t have any hot pepps

Hmmmm

I think it’ll be roasted root veg in a bowl with quinoa and baby spinach…and turmeric toasted chickpeas?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Butternut squash/carrots/onions/(maybe you could even add the sweet potatoes?) is how I make roast butternut squash soup

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I had a go at making this chicken ragu pasta yesterday for a family dinner. Worked out great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADw9FZTHBig

I ended up reserving some of the raw ingredients and some of the cooked shredded chicken to make a basic pasta sauce for my 6yo nephew, because the ragu has a whole bottle of wine in it (for 8 servings but still) and the recipe explicitly states 'if you can't have alcohol, make something else'. Probably would have been ok but figured better to be sure.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just got an email from Field Cast Iron. They are making a griddle. I'm very excited to check it out and hopefully pick one up on a 2nd hand sale.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm sad about eggs.

One more thing going into the column labeled "move back out into the country and get off the grid cause none of this shit is gonna make it"

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm sad about eggs.

One more thing going into the column labeled "move back out into the country and get off the grid cause none of this shit is gonna make it"

I know plenty of people who have urban/suburban chickens, and they all really love having them.

This discussion has been closed.