As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Label wrote: »
    Hello food thread. I have made a Pie.

I picked the blackberries yesterday, from the spot where they're taking over the garden and are the sweetest. I made it this evening, and used the large pie pan. It is eleven inches.

My mother used to make pies, for her birthday. She taught me to make them when she was in hospice. I miss her.

I'm going to go cry now.

I know that feel. :bro:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh my God I just realized my crock pot was not plugged in after like, 2 hours of "cooking"

This shit is going on low and stewing over night now haha whoops

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Oh my God I just realized my crock pot was not plugged in after like, 2 hours of "cooking"

This shit is going on low and stewing over night now haha whoops

well don't fight about it with your wife because that'll really freak out Beezus and Ramona

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Smoked up a Montreal steak blend crusted tri-tip, about 90 minutes in the smoker to an internal temp of roughly 145, then a 5 minute rest on the counter. It came out perfect. The steak was still almost completely pink in the cneter, and it cut like butter and melted in the mouth. I paired it with some oven roasted yukon gold potatoes and some diced up carrots, tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning and a touch of salt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Tried making chicken tikka masala for the first time and it came out kind of bland. I think I used too much tomato sauce. Also I probably shouldn't have gone into it having had an actual, high end Indian restaurants chicken tikka masala a few days before which is fucking dope as hell and skewed my expectations.

Now I'm kinda sad.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Well, next you make it, it'll be better than this time.. so you have that to look forward to.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Tried making chicken tikka masala for the first time and it came out kind of bland. I think I used too much tomato sauce. Also I probably shouldn't have gone into it having had an actual, high end Indian restaurants chicken tikka masala a few days before which is fucking dope as hell and skewed my expectations.

Now I'm kinda sad.

Yeah last time I tried this it was waaay too tomatoey and waaaay too acidic.

• Options
    I wonder if I can fit a wood fire tandoori in my 650sqft apartment?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I can fit a wood fire tandoori in my 650sqft apartment?

Perhaps not, but can you buy an old Toyota Coaster bus, tear out most of the interior, and build a tandoor in there? Then drive around selling Tandoori to whoever wants some (it's everyone, everyone enjoys a good Tandoori)?

• Options
    I'm going to use a different recipe Friday.

I may exclude the ginger altogether. Every time I use even just the tiniest amount of ginger it seems to make everything sweet to a noticeable degree. In this case I wanted way more savory.

That said: I started adding pickeld ginger slices to my vegetable medleys with soy sauce and oh man its on a new level.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what weirdass ginger you using

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is ginger supposed to be sweet? I'll totally admit my sweetness detection is super off, but I never got that from it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jugg are you using crystallized ginger with sugar added rather than fresh ginger rhizome?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I do not believe so, no.

But... maybe? Now I gotta go double check my ginger. I'm like 99% its regular old powdered ginger which I think is usually a little sweeter than fresh ginger. I just don't want to go get a grater and grate stuff because I am lazy.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    I do not believe so, no.

But... maybe? Now I gotta go double check my ginger. I'm like 99% its regular old powdered ginger which I think is usually a little sweeter than fresh ginger. I just don't want to go get a grater and grate stuff because I am lazy.

oh well there's your problem, always use fresh ginger
    you can just cut it up though. Or use a spoon to scrape peels off the stem if for some reason that's easier than a finding ginger grater. (don't use a regular grater on ginger though)

• Options
    Gaaaaahhhhd fine I'll go get fresh ginger

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pick up some fenugreek leaves while you're out. They make the dish!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think today I'm going to make a bunch of Impossible meatballs aka Impossiballs

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Dried fenugreek leaves go well in a lot of things, it turns out, which is good because they'll sell it to you in big ass boxes and you don't use very much at a time!

Peen on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular

Now I'm kinda sad.

I've been very happy using the following recipe for my butter chicken, and this website also has a tikka masala recipe too: https://www.daringgourmet.com/indian-butter-chicken-murgh-makhani/

I admittedly replaced the chicken with paneer, but still...

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So salads...I don't eat them much unless I'm at like a restaurant or something. I haven't had a cherry tomato since I was like 13 but I remember hating them, so I figure I'll try again with my now refined pallet. But beyond that what should I add to a good salad? I really like light, fruity dressings, but was toying around with the idea of making my own dressing at home? Maybe like a lemon and olive oil affair?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So salads...I don't eat them much unless I'm at like a restaurant or something. I haven't had a cherry tomato since I was like 13 but I remember hating them, so I figure I'll try again with my now refined pallet. But beyond that what should I add to a good salad? I really like light, fruity dressings, but was toying around with the idea of making my own dressing at home? Maybe like a lemon and olive oil affair?

Vinaigrette is reasonably simple to do yourself, perhaps give that a try?

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    One of my favourite dressings to do at home is honey mustard: add a tsp honey, a tbsp seeded mustard and maybe two tbsp each lemon juice/vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, whisk up, sample and adjust ratios to taste.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    The dressing I learnt from my mum is to grab a jar, drop in some olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar to taste (if you like light, don't put much in), french mustard, splash of lemon juice and optional garlic. Then just shake it up good and pour over the salad. Works good, and is super easy. Still, I'm lazy and typically have my salad naked.

• Options
    I think it's around a 4-1 ratio of vinegar (I like apple cider for this) to extra virgin olive oil for a vinaigrette, then you can add literally anything you want. Most folks chuck in some mustard, lemon juice, and garlic. I pop a pinch of ground pepper in it too.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm yeah I'm going to try that, apple cider with lemon juice, oregano, pepper, garlic and maybe a punch of ginger

• Options
    I usually do 2-1 acid to oil, but it depends how strong your vinegar or citrus or whatever is, just taste as you go.

• Options
    Most of the success of my salads depends on how much Parmesan cheese is in it

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I like sesame oil with lemon juice, diced ginger cashew and garlic, and some ground black and pink peppercorn medley. It's really fuckin' good on the carrot and broccoli salads that I eat. I'd imagine it would be really pleasant with spinach, too.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

Pssst, hey kid

The ginger paste you can find in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle also works really well if you can't be bothered with fresh ginger

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Pssst, hey kid

The ginger paste you can find in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle also works really well if you can't be bothered with fresh ginger

(whispers)

it's what I use

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    GINGER POLICE NOBODY MOVE

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Captain Carrot?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    nobody's doing any figging in here, that's for sure

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    made these today
    https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-discard-crackers/

super easy
    melt the butter, mix in the starter discard, herbs and salt, spread out on parchment, top with more salt, bake

Today's batch was
    Parsley
    Sage
    Rosemary
    Thyme
    Dill
    Sumac
    Garlic and onion powders
    black pepper

and they're really good. Ive got to get better at getting a more even spread/thickness on the parchment (and don't let the 4 year old sprinkle the chunky salt. she doesn't get the concept of 'sprinkle').

definitely worth trying again and far more approachable than the KAF cracker recipe.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Tried a new(to me) recipe a couple days ago, Sriracha beef lettuce wraps. Was really tasty with a nice kick. Really easy to to make too.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Today's batch was
    Parsley
    Sage
    Rosemary
    Thyme

obligatory Simon and Garfunkel

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Today's batch was
    Parsley
    Sage
    Rosemary
    Thyme

obligatory Simon and Garfunkel

I usually refer to it as the Scarborough blend

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, I am making chili this weekend. I have about half a can of leftover coconut milk from a previous recipe. How bad of an idea would it be to add the coconut milk to the chili?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    I think it would be not a bad idea.

This discussion has been closed.