As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The Old Republic is on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286830/STAR_WARS_The_Old_Republic/

Suddenly remembering 6 or 7 years ago the hoops I had to jump through (custom scripts, launching Steam as admin) just to get Steam overlay so I could take screenshots easily. A screenshot from the first expansion is still one of the featured screenshots on my steam profile.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    A week or two ago I saw a "Why TOR is still worth playing in 2020" article and now this. Makes me wonder if it was some sort of marketing campaign for this release. Maybe The Mouse wants them to justify their non-canon existence...

76561197966849367.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The Old Republic is on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286830/STAR_WARS_The_Old_Republic/

Suddenly remembering 6 or 7 years ago the hoops I had to jump through (custom scripts, launching Steam as admin) just to get Steam overlay so I could take screenshots easily. A screenshot from the first expansion is still one of the featured screenshots on my steam profile.

When I played it last year, the Steam overlay just worked, no shenanigans required. Yay for progress!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    A week or two ago I saw a "Why TOR is still worth playing in 2020" article and now this. Makes me wonder if it was some sort of marketing campaign for this release. Maybe The Mouse wants them to justify their non-canon existence...

The dead speak!

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So I just finished work to find this giant box in the living room. No note with it or anything.

f8VwClF.jpg

So I open it up to find a chair!

cMqvSjv.jpg

AND IT RECLINES!

Zfn3epX.jpg

I have no idea who did this but prime suspect it's @cardboard delusions. Thanks man! This rocks!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Carrion releases in two days. This is the game you may have seen where you play as a horrifying flesh mass that consumes everything in its path.

The Devolver Streaming channel is currently broadcasting the game, and in typical Devolver style the "player" on the webcam is an animatronic horror.

https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561199075424337

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    damn we're just gifting people straight up furniture here now

there's no way I can keep up with this next level of generosity

Zxerol wrote: »

Dude that TV on the wall, the ps4 being played and the soundbar were still gifts! People here be nuts.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Dude that TV on the wall, the ps4 being played and the soundbar were still gifts! People here be nuts.

Game respect game, huh?

camo_sig2.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Carrion releases in two days. This is the game you may have seen where you play as a horrifying flesh mass that consumes everything in its path.

The Devolver Streaming channel is currently broadcasting the game, and in typical Devolver style the "player" on the webcam is an animatronic horror.

I have been looking forward to Carrion so much.

steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's on gamepass too!

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Is that... Is that a Metroidvania where you play as a shapeless eldritch horror?

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Is that... Is that a Metroidvania where you play as a shapeless eldritch horror?

Yup!

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    In today's "Fuck Epic" news, when Rocket League goes free-to-play later in the summer, it will launch on Epic but new players will no longer be able to download it on Steam. Fourth paragraph: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-going-free-to-play-this-summer/

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Rocket League announcement got me thinking about that old joke:
    Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

When it comes to games, Heaven is where the engine is done by id, the story is done by Square, the QA is done by Valve, the soundtrack is done by Bethesda, and the release schedule is done by Capcom.

Hell is where the engine is done by Square, the story is done by id, the QA is done by Bethesda, the soundtrack is done by Capcom, and the release schedule is done by Valve.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So I just finished work to find this giant box in the living room. No note with it or anything.

f8VwClF.jpg

So I open it up to find a chair!

cMqvSjv.jpg

AND IT RECLINES!

Zfn3epX.jpg

I have no idea who did this but prime suspect it's @cardboard delusions. Thanks man! This rocks!

Oh yeah that was me, I couldn’t leave a gift message or wrap it :/

It got there early, now you can enjoy your setup properly! <3

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I enjoyed the demo though some parts felt less polished. Not surprising given how different a lot of the gameplay is. If reviews say it keeps up the quality through the whole game it'll be an easy purchase for me.
    Hevach wrote: »

It can also be thought of as the Metroidvania where you play the metroid.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Seeing a part in the trailer where
    You can stick a tentacle into a human and operate them like a puppet

Has given me plenty of confidence there will be some variety to the game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It's the Thing game, where you are The Thing.

Not that Thing, the other Thing.

Fencingsax on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Which thing?

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Which thing?

that thing I sent ya.

steam_sig.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I was going to make that joke

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    In today's "Fuck Epic" news, when Rocket League goes free-to-play later in the summer, it will launch on Epic but new players will no longer be able to download it on Steam. Fourth paragraph: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-going-free-to-play-this-summer/

Eh, Epic bought Psyonix. The game is going free to play, you just won't be able to get it on Steam after a certain point. Everyone who already has it on Steam can keep playing it on steam, and it'll have cross play and whatnot.

I find this hard to get that mad about.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Completed Knights and Bikes!

It's a cutesy, artistic, feely game that I recommend and while it's probably optimal with coop it does a good job solo.

Had a couple of minor bugs though and it is on the short side, but that's fine since I spaced it out doing an in-game "day" each...well day.

Thanks again to @vamen for the gift!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So what're some thoughts on heat management in Battletech? It feels like it's hard to quickly disengage, vent heat for a turn, and get back in the fight, so I've been trying to build for heat efficiency to be able to last through enough turns of continuous alpha striking to get a mech or two down. I was wondering if there were some other approaches that have worked out for people.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    So what're some thoughts on heat management in Battletech? It feels like it's hard to quickly disengage, vent heat for a turn, and get back in the fight, so I've been trying to build for heat efficiency to be able to last through enough turns of continuous alpha striking to get a mech or two down. I was wondering if there were some other approaches that have worked out for people.

I've taken to occasionally using a turn to melee enemies even on mechs not specialized in it as a way to let heat sinks do their work while still wrecking stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I beat my second game this year and its only...almost August Jesus Christ.

Cloiudpunk was pretty good, kinda light on the game aspect as it basically boils down to go to point a then point b, but then its really more about ambiance and story. Not that the story is super compelling, but its a pretty chill day in the life kind of thing.

It did enough to scratch the cyberpunk itch that 2077 has left me with without being too similar to risk burnout before it releases and without being too long to prevent me from finishing it (took me about 13 hours).

At $15-20 its hard to find too much to complain about.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I beat my second game this year and its only...almost August Jesus Christ.

Cloiudpunk was pretty good, kinda light on the game aspect as it basically boils down to go to point a then point b, but then its really more about ambiance and story. Not that the story is super compelling, but its a pretty chill day in the life kind of thing.

It did enough to scratch the cyberpunk itch that 2077 has left me with without being too similar to risk burnout before it releases and without being too long to prevent me from finishing it (took me about 13 hours).

At $15-20 its hard to find too much to complain about.

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

In related news I beat Donut County, and it was good (and short).

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I tend to build my mechs almost heat neutral since many of the mission types require you to be firing almost every turn. For frontline mechs I often sprint to a better position (usually forward, there's rarely point in trying to disengage for one turn) or melee if heat is getting too high. For LRM boats I tend to build them very heat neutral so they can fire a full alpha every turn because that's what their job is. Many of my mech designs have an extra ML or two that I toggle on and off depending on how much heat I can spare - MLs only weight 1 ton so having one and not using it all the time is not wasting too much tonnage.

Another thing is identifying where all that heat comes from. PPCs are terrible, way too much heat. Jump jets are awesome but they do generate a lot more heat than the mechlab screen claims. Hotter climates are super annoying to fight in so I just plain never take Martian or Lunar missions if I don't have to and try to avoid Desert missions.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Jesus total war warhammer makes my fan so freaking loud. Every other game I’ve tried, barely a sound, but with total war even when on the campaign map just doing nothing it’s so loud. Driving me nuts, no matter what the graphics setting either, even on low

Prohass on
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Jesus total war warhammer makes my fan so freaking loud. Every other game I’ve tried, barely a sound, but with total war even when on the campaign map just doing nothing it’s so loud. Driving me nuts, no matter what the graphics setting either, even on low

hahaha cpu go brrr

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    A game starring Ben Grimm would be great, though.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

hahaha cpu go brrr

It drives me nuts, I’m just sitting there in the campaign map doing nothing and I’m like what are you bitching about?!

@cardboard delusions again with the packages! This time a great zelda book! I'm speechless mate ❤

iWBdJPO.jpg

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »

I tend to build my mechs almost heat neutral since many of the mission types require you to be firing almost every turn. For frontline mechs I often sprint to a better position (usually forward, there's rarely point in trying to disengage for one turn) or melee if heat is getting too high. For LRM boats I tend to build them very heat neutral so they can fire a full alpha every turn because that's what their job is. Many of my mech designs have an extra ML or two that I toggle on and off depending on how much heat I can spare - MLs only weight 1 ton so having one and not using it all the time is not wasting too much tonnage.

Another thing is identifying where all that heat comes from. PPCs are terrible, way too much heat. Jump jets are awesome but they do generate a lot more heat than the mechlab screen claims. Hotter climates are super annoying to fight in so I just plain never take Martian or Lunar missions if I don't have to and try to avoid Desert missions.

Agreed, although I tend to run slightly on the hot side of neutral to be able put out the extra damage and then dial it back when needed (Steel Angel is right that using melee is a great heat breather.) Going max front armor and jump jets can already put your DPS down relative to the OpFor's stock builds. (You are never happy to see Jenners, Kintaros and Quickdraws facing you as they can put out pretty savage damage relative to their weight. The NPCs don't care if they overheat in the 4-5 turns before you kill them.) So you don't want to go too much further down that path of imbalance.

Generally I tend to favor autocannons over LLs and PPCs because they are so much more heat efficient. The downsides of course are the weight, ammo and recoil. Weight's an issue, but it balances out when you consider the extra tonnage in heat sinks needed to reliably fire large energy weapons. Ammo goes in the legs and then you need to mind your shots (only usually an issue in the longer campaign missions). And since most/all of my pilots are getting Bulwark, recoil isn't usually an issue past the early game since the Guts pilot skill path has the recoil reduction.

If you ever get a chance to scoop up double heat sinks from a well stocked planet store or the black market, definitely do so. Worth their weight in gold.

Have you played the Graveyard mission yet?
    When you get the Star League Highlander, it comes with a bunch of double heat sinks. It doesn't need them all, though, especially since the big balance pass upped the natural engine heat sinking of SDLF mechs from 30 a turn to 60! Gently, lovingly move some of them to other mechs and reap the benefits. Be mindful of where they are and don't let them get blown up out in the field!

EDIT: All this lovely BATTLETECH talk is giving me the itch...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

Eh, Epic bought Psyonix. The game is going free to play, you just won't be able to get it on Steam after a certain point. Everyone who already has it on Steam can keep playing it on steam, and it'll have cross play and whatnot.

it would be like complaining about TF2 not being on the epic store. In addition, not only will it still work on steam, they are giving everyone upgrades/free stuff.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

it would be like complaining about TF2 not being on the epic store. In addition, not only will it still work on steam, they are giving everyone upgrades/free stuff.

The original outrage, back when they were bought, was that they were going to discontinue support of the Steam version and force you into EGS if you wanted to keep playing.

Seems like they back-pedaled on that last part, and that's great.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah thinks that the scales are uneven, I'm just trying to hit @Big Classy as he spreads items across the group.

Thanks duder - wanted to try this out and now I shall!
    4SzkwJf.png

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Just announced is Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, a Jet Set Radio spiritual successor, much to probably a lot of peoples delight:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1353230/Bomb_Rush_Cyberfunk/

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.