As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Spoit wrote: »
    Taking about battletech, it's in the $12 tier of the humble paradox bundle that started today

That said, for most paradox games, if recommend waiting until they have a bundle with the dlc

BT is not an infinite DLC game like some of the other Paradox titles, a la Crusader Kings 2. There are 3, and the answer to whether you want them is, "They give you more BATTLETECH. Is that something you want?"

$12 is a great pickup for the base game. If you fall for it, the DLC will be on sale somewhere down the line.

EDIT: And you get Stellaris, Tyrrany, AoW3 and more? Damn good bundle.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Elvenshaeshdwcaster
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Is there a proper term for these games comprised of tiny pixels (i.e. Noita, Carrion, Wizard of Legends, and Dead Cells)?

I feel like I've been seeing a lot of it lately. As opposed to games like Axiom verge which has more traditional pixels.

I'm gonna go ahead and try to coin "Ret-faux"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    McMoogleStollsElvenshaean_altshdwcaster
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Ret Faux is good, but it kinda sounds like the name of a Star Wars character

SmokeStacks on
    Elvenshaean_altBetsunishdwcaster
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Ret Faux is good, but it kinda sounds like the name of a Star Wars character

I should totally use that for a Trooper in SWTOR

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    ElvenshaeJaysonFourshdwcaster
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Picked up Carrion. There were some warnings it can be short if you don't upgrade hunt but I always end up upgrade hunting.

One thing that's a bit jarring is the lack of a map at least so far. You start with an ability that can point you to your next destination but it's pretty vague. The game is fairly linear so far but so much of your progress is in the form of opening up tunnels to zip to another area so I don't have much sense of where I am relative to where I was before much of the time.

The retfaux style is used to good effect. This probably isn't a game you'd want to have realistic graphics in but beyond aesthetics it probably serves a practical purpose in terms of performance. This is a game with a lot of damage to the environment and unlike in many Metroidvanias what happens to a room is persistent. Using big chunky pixels could well make things more manageable from a technical side when a room has to keep displaying all the blood, ripped grates, smashed computer screens, and inedible parts of enemies you leave around.

Combat usually entails hiding in areas out of enemy reach until you can snake a tentacle around to grab someone or something similarly sneaky. You can die really quickly when automatic weapons or flamethrowers are in play. You have very good reason to keep out of sight and only make sudden attacks from hard to see areas like a movie monster. You're dangerous due to your speed, not being affected by gravity, and being able to reach things while keeping your body safe. Imagine Mark of the Ninja if you were only affected by terrain and not gravity and you have a decent idea of what this one plays like.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    KarozIolodestroyah87MassenabloodatonementElvenshaeemp123KalnaurStollsIanatorBetsunicooljammer00shdwcasterKoopahTroopah
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If any regular doesn't have Battletech and wants it, let me know, I still have a key from Humble Monthly last year

steam_sig.png
    MassenaKarozbloodatonementdestroyah87ElvenshaeStollsemnmnmeIanatorJaysonFourIoloThawmusBetsunishdwcasterKoopahTroopah
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Picked up Carrion. There were some warnings it can be short if you don't upgrade hunt but I always end up upgrade hunting.

One thing that's a bit jarring is the lack of a map at least so far. You start with an ability that can point you to your next destination but it's pretty vague. The game is fairly linear so far but so much of your progress is in the form of opening up tunnels to zip to another area so I don't have much sense of where I am relative to where I was before much of the time.

The retfaux style is used to good effect. This probably isn't a game you'd want to have realistic graphics in but beyond aesthetics it probably serves a practical purpose in terms of performance. This is a game with a lot of damage to the environment and unlike in many Metroidvanias what happens to a room is persistent. Using big chunky pixels could well make things more manageable from a technical side when a room has to keep displaying all the blood, ripped grates, smashed computer screens, and inedible parts of enemies you leave around.

Combat usually entails hiding in areas out of enemy reach until you can snake a tentacle around to grab someone or something similarly sneaky. You can die really quickly when automatic weapons or flamethrowers are in play. You have very good reason to keep out of sight and only make sudden attacks from hard to see areas like a movie monster. You're dangerous due to your speed, not being affected by gravity, and being able to reach things while keeping your body safe. Imagine Mark of the Ninja if you were only affected by terrain and not gravity and you have a decent idea of what this one plays like.

Yeah, I'm really liking it.

It's pretty short on plot, but there's some there.

I also like how you can engage in a little environmental self-driven storytelling. An example: one combat room I started by slowly inching a tenticle out to a door and just as slowly opened and closed it, drawing the attention of a nearby guard. When he came over to investigate, his reward was a ton of eldritch flesh, teeth, and claws smashing into him from behind because I had slunk up and behind him through a narrow crawlspace.

Or when I'd slowly drag a captured scientist over to me to regain health.

... Yeah, it's for the best this game doesn't use realistic graphics.

Oh, and the movement is very well done. Playing with kbam, I can speed through rooms and it really does feel like this unholy cthulian abomination is moving unsettlingly through the environments.

steam_sig.png
    KarozbloodatonementIolo
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I finished Prey about 3 nights ago, and have started playing the Mooncrash DLC. I thoroughly enjoyed Prey, after going through an adjustment period as it was giving me some nausea at first. I really got into it, exploring every nook and cranny of Talos 1. I didn't finish a couple side quests, as I had no idea advancing the plot made them inaccessible. Either way, I had a great time. I'm working my way through Mooncrash right now, but am having a hard time with it, it's such a different game! I wanted to thank @Mudzgut again for such an enjoyable experience!

steam_sig.png
    KarozKalnaurElvenshaeMudzgutStollsSteel AngelIanatorIoloEd GrubermanThawmusDarkPrimusMugsley
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I also like how you can engage in a little environmental self-driven storytelling. An example: one combat room I started by slowly inching a tenticle out to a door and just as slowly opened and closed it, drawing the attention of a nearby guard. When he came over to investigate, his reward was a ton of eldritch flesh, teeth, and claws smashing into him from behind because I had slunk up and behind him through a narrow crawlspace.

Oh, and the movement is very well done. Playing with kbam, I can speed through rooms and it really does feel like this unholy cthulian abomination is moving unsettlingly through the environments.

I just wrapped the whole game, beat 100% achievements, probably less than 4 hours (my time shows more but I had it paused for like 45 mins during work). It's really fun, though I don't know if I'd recommend at $20, surely grab it when it is on sale.

Have to admit, feels kinda weird beating a game the day it comes out...

cardboard delusions on
    bloodatonementIoloThawmusKarozshdwcaster
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I just wrapped the whole game, beat 100% achievements, probably less than 4 hours (my time shows more but I had it paused for like 45 mins during work). It's really fun, though I don't know if I'd recommend at $20, surely grab it when it is on sale.

Or play it on gamepass

steam_sig.png
    Iolo
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I also like how you can engage in a little environmental self-driven storytelling.
    An example: one combat room I started by slowly inching a tenticle out to a door and just as slowly opened and closed it, drawing the attention of a nearby guard. When he came over to investigate, his reward was a ton of eldritch flesh, teeth, and claws smashing into him from behind because I had slunk up and behind him through a narrow crawlspace.

One thing I like to do when big is to lure enemies up to a closed, smashable door or grate with my Roar, wait a few seconds, then crash through the lot of them with the Hold-E ability...

"did you hear something back there?"
    gets close to the door
    tense moment

ORCHESTRA STING

madparrot on
    ElvenshaeCommander ZoomIoloThawmusBetsuniKalnaurDrovek

It's definitely not a purchase I can recommend to everyone at full price. But I just found the demo such a change of pace from other games while still being pretty easy to pick up as someone that's played a lot of stealth games and metroidvanias so not waiting for it to hit 50% off to save $10 wasn't a big deal for me.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I may have fallen victim to one of the classic blunders.... declaring war on @Antoshka

minding my own business having dinner when I get a message on my phone via the Steam Chat app, a series of letters and numbers that are unmistakeably Steam codes. What is a boy to do.....

I am now the proud owner of Battletech, Batman the Telltale series, Slay the Spire, Deus Ex, MAnkind Divided and last, but by no means least, Purrfect Date!

Thank you Toshy - though don't think I will forget this! We're fellow Kiwis, we should be banding together and dunking on @Isorn ;)

<3<3

steam_sig.png
    destroyah87JazzEd GrubermanThawmusBetsuniMadicanPoketpixieKalnaurSpoitElvenshaeMugsleyemp123DrovekIanatorKarozCommander ZoomStollsshdwcasterMNC Doveran_altTalus9952FencingsaxHerothKoopahTroopahGear GirlRoyceSraphim
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @vamen wants to be sure there is no difficulty in decisions of what to play next, curse my rambling mouth and thank your kindness!
    ZCO9ToR.png

JazzThawmusdestroyah87Pixelated PixieBetsuniMadicanKalnaurElvenshaeMugsleyemp123IanatorKarozDonnictonStollsshdwcasterMNC Doveran_altTalus9952HerothübergeekGear GirlRoyceSraphim
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This is an odd question: do people regularly use the Steam remove PC streaming functionality?

It has not once worked for me. I've tried to play Stellaris at work on my Surface Pro from my home PC. It will start, and go to the loading screen, but Steam simply closes it every time it finishes loading.

That could also be the fault of the game that is optimized like a garbage frigate.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    This is an odd question: do people regularly use the Steam remove PC streaming functionality?

It has not once worked for me. I've tried to play Stellaris at work on my Surface Pro from my home PC. It will start, and go to the loading screen, but Steam simply closes it every time it finishes loading.

That could also be the fault of the game that is optimized like a garbage frigate.

I've not used Steam Remote Play nor Steam Link outside of my LAN, no. I estimate that would go poorly

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Viking decided to make me his little witch, guess he didn't nobeta.
    smiqsolstzpf.jpg
    Thanks for Loli Souls Viking, this looks actually pretty good <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
    Pixelated PixieJazzBetsuniMadicanKalnaurElvenshaeMugsleyemp123destroyah87CorsiniIanatorKarozPolaritieCommander ZoomjungleroomxStollsMNC Doveran_altTalus9952HerothKoopahTroopahGear Girl
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh hey, guys. Whats going on tod...

*sees news of Suikoden spiritual successor kickstarter*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezrZ1thnPI

Hollllly shiiiiiiiiit.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    vamenJaysonFourIanatorDonnictonElvenshaeStollsMNC DoverKoopahTroopah
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oh hey, guys. Whats going on tod...

*sees news of Suikoden spiritual successor kickstarter*

Hollllly shiiiiiiiiit.

You left out an important note from the video

"from key members of the Suikoden team"

Dr. ChaosElvenshaeStollsMNC Doveran_altKoopahTroopah
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm inherently distrustful of most Kickstarter stuff just because I remember there was one a couple years ago that had all these big names attached to it in Jrpg land and it blasted through funding and it was gonna be great and

Yeah go look at where Project Phoenix is now and why you've not heard of it releasing

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

I've not used Steam Remote Play nor Steam Link outside of my LAN, no. I estimate that would go poorly

Considering what it does to my wifi (I actually enabled the guest network on my router specifically to move it off the same channel as the stream boxes and such) I doubt it's going to work over internet unless the modems on both ends are actually the Obelisks from 2001.

MugsleyThawmusshdwcaster
    edited July 2020
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm inherently distrustful of most Kickstarter stuff just because I remember there was one a couple years ago that had all these big names attached to it in Jrpg land and it blasted through funding and it was gonna be great and

Yeah go look at where Project Phoenix is now and why you've not heard of it releasing
    JRPGs from japanese studios do have a bad record with the service. The risk aspect of Kickstarter really needs to be emphasized with those.

But hey, one of them has to succeed eventually. Throwing a sweet 50 bucks on this game of russian roulette.

Dr. Chaos on
    KalnaurStolls
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    @Quical Gifted me Necrobarista today. Thank you so much!

Revenge will be swift.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    MadicanKalnaurPixelated PixieStollsBetsuniEd GrubermanKarozshdwcasteran_altTalus9952IanatorJazzHerothKoopahTroopahGear GirlAntoshkaCorriganXQuical
    Also, theres no way this is coming out in 2022.

This is 2024 at the earliest if it finishes.

KalnaurKoopahTroopah
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Well, kickstarter also did fund Undertale.

Kai_San wrote: »

And a bunch of other cool stuff like Darkest Dungeon.

Elvenshae
    edited July 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

And a bunch of other cool stuff like Darkest Dungeon.
    • FTL
    • Wasteland 2
    • Banner Saga
    • Shadowrun Returns
    • Grim Dawn
    • Pillars of Eternity
    • Divinity: Orignal Sin
    • BATTLETECH
    • Xenonauts
    And on and on.

There have certainly been some dogs and some outright failures. Caveat Emptor and all that. But I would have to say Kickstarter has been a huge, huge boon to those of us who like game genres or legacy game franchises that were not going to see the light of day from modern publishers.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    cooljammer00ElvenshaeStollsMirkel
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie did a thing
    zplg93p4ggwu.jpg

Very rude, thanks

destroyah87shdwcasterMugsleyBetsunian_altKalnaurTalus9952ElvenshaeIanatorCroakerBCJazzHerothStollsKoopahTroopahGear GirlAntoshkaStormwatcher
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Your no betta!

Ianator
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Has this been talked about? I just stumbled on it. Looks neat! Cards! Cute art! Anthropomorphic animal heroes!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Stabbity StyleElvenshaeStollsKoopahTroopahThawmusStormwatcher
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

Considering what it does to my wifi (I actually enabled the guest network on my router specifically to move it off the same channel as the stream boxes and such) I doubt it's going to work over internet unless the modems on both ends are actually the Obelisks from 2001.

Maybe not your issue, but I’ve had similar symptoms trying to use Remote Play when my home PC is locked. Which, given that I would prefer my kids not be on my Windows user profile, makes the feature all but useless for me.

And that's Carrion done. Play time reads 5 hours though a good chunk of that was going in circles lost. That's gong to be too short at full price for most people but it is something you should play at some point. It's as if they took that scene in monster films where you hear the monster the monster moving out of sight a few times and maybe see a blur of motion in front of the camera before the jump scare and distilled it into a game. I was surprised at the number of voice actors in the game given that almost all they would have done is scream.

It's a good study in a game going all in on a mechanic and anything needed to support that mechanic. Movement is incredibly fluid and you zip around incredibly fast. The environment ends up being destroyed in your wake and all the physics in the game makes things like burst doors and flung grates hazards for the humans. Your special abilities/attacks as you get bigger also are weighty and make good use of the physics. A lot of stuff that would be decorative background in other games are things you can break in this one.

The puzzles you deal with navigating the underground facility are varied. The whole environment is designed really well actually. It's not quite a metroidvania by some standards as it's not a big map, the way you move from area to area is through disjointed tunnels you unlock, and a lot of the paths that lead you to a new area are one way. But it does open up a bit when you can open up new paths back to old areas and there are some optional upgrades that require doing so. The progression feels like that in Metroid Fusion in a way given that game's restrictions on backtracking for much of the game.

I've only really got three knocks on the game. The first is a minor one and that is that it can hard to tell what you're about to grab with your tentacle if two things are close to each other. And with the way objects end up flung everywhere there can be a lot of clutter. There are optional upgrades that increase how much you can grab that did alleviate this one somewhat.

The second is that you feel a bit unwieldy as you get bigger. You still move incredibly quickly when you increase in volume but you body gets longer, not rounder. At the two larger sizes you end up pretty stretched out in some cases and if you need to change directions it's not always clear what part of you is going to go first or even what part you're really controlling. Given how many tight ducts you have to squeeze through I can understand that having you get longer may have been much more manageable from a technical standpoint but it does feel weird to play at times.

Finally, there's no in game map. Hence going in circles lost when I tried to backtrack to grab some upgrades. The disjointed and sometimes one way paths did not help with getting my bearings. I know some people are trying to at least put together an out of game map. While I normally hunt for all the upgrades or at least almost all of them in a metroidvania it was just too much of a hassle in this one.

I don't hold the length of playtime against the game as I think it could only be so long before it felt unwieldy or started running out of steam. You're fragile through the whole game likely to encourage attacking suddenly and moving around quickly and also start out lethal enough to make short work of all but one type of enemy which also fits with the theme of the game. You also don't rely on walking to get around and start out unrestricted by gravity so a lot of the usual metroidvania upgrades wouldn't work to extend the game. I do think a game could play with the concept and make a longer game from it like a stealth metroidvania playing as the Predator or a xenomorph from Alien but for how this game is designed a short length fits the themes and feel.

8/10 worryingly toothy maws. This may well be the most viscerally satisfying game I've ever played.

And I'm not exaggerating about the extent of this game's physics and reactivity. You can encounter all sorts of environmental hijinks like so:

https://youtu.be/njnM3gk9gG4

Steam Profile
    KarozCommander ZoomJazzFencingsaxStollsDrovekEvmaAlsarIoloBetsuniQanamilKoopahTroopahHeroth
    Yeah I am a couple of hours into it at this point and it's fun, but I don't think it's a game that I would want to pay more than $10 for. Yay for GamePass I guess!

steam_sig.png
    EvmaAlsar
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Has this been talked about? I just stumbled on it. Looks neat! Cards! Cute art! Anthropomorphic animal heroes!

Those are some angry looking animals. I guess it's some sort of grimdark tale of vengeance?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Do mechs other than the marauder get that called shot bonus thing?

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Nope. And if you ask me, it's super silly bonus since it leads to headshots all day long which isn't really what Battletech is all about.

Iolo
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 update: Hooray I am space lesbians.

hggfz2yhdbyx.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    KarozJazzSyngyneDonnictonemp123KoopahTroopahIanatorMugsleyFencingsaxCommander ZoomStollsJaysonFourBetsuniTalus9952ThawmusStormwatcher
    Mirkel wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

Nope. And if you ask me, it's super silly bonus since it leads to headshots all day long which isn't really what Battletech is all about.

Agreed (not that it stops me from abusing it wildly.)

It's extra silly too, since the Marauder's 'lesser' bonus - blanket % damage reduction for your whole lance - is on its own one of the better mech quirks.

Since I'm talking BT (again), can't help but note that I was recently tempted to stop playing...

ymzPUaj.png

:wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    anoffdayWerewolf2000ademp123KoopahTroopahMNC DoverMirkelKarozJazzMugsleyCorsiniCommander ZoomStollsHerothJaysonFourTeeManEvmaAlsarBetsuniTalus9952ThawmusStormwatcherElvenshae
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Armello?

KalnaurCommander ZoomTeeMan
    I was sold when I saw big fat bear in armor.

This discussion has been closed.