Options

[Ghost of Tsushima] Pet the Fox.

JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
Ghost of Tsushima is an upcoming action-adventure game developed by Sucker Punch Productions and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 4. Featuring an open world for players to explore, it revolves around Jin Sakai, one of the last samurai on Tsushima Island during the first Mongol invasion of Japan in the 1270s.

Ghost of Tsushima is about being a kick ass'er n hell samurai all doing Yojimbo shit and fighting off Mongols using either aforementioned Yojimbo shit or sneaky sneaky ninja fuckery. You got your samurai duels what with the grim staring and windswept vistas. You got your smoke bombs. You got your ronin dress up.

But most importantly: there are fox guides that will lead you to shrines and you can pet the fox and the fox is very happy.

An 18 minute state of play just dropped showing off the game and it looks beautiful and the swordplay looks real good. There is also an option at the start of game to have everything in Japanese with subtitles and even an Akira Kurosawa mode that makes the game black and white, grainy and maybe even simulates dump trucks just off screen blowing in huge clouds of dust. That's awesome.

https://youtu.be/ww3eh-55lT0

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    much like Last of Us 2 Im holding out for PS5 to play these hoping they get some kind of added framerate/full 4k resolution, also don't want to play this with my jet engine of a PS4

Should put this version of the video in the op its the 4k version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxHTk_aQo7o

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I only watched most of the trailer and not any more info on the game, but... what’s separating this from any other far cry/ass creed besides the paintjob?

I see 1v1 duels against enemies, and maybe skills are more heavily tied to armor than usual, but it looked pretty derivative. Not saying it’s bad, that genre is always fun when executed well, but it the better games usually have secret sauce to help them along.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    You can pet the fox?

Honestly, though, I think its mainly the paint job.

I can't really think of any games that are 100% awesome samurai fun times and designed to basically be a Kurosawa movie. Even if the mechanics are pretty bog standard, for me at least, as long as the story is solid, the combat is smooth and challenging and the game world has enough going on I'm pretty ok with it being sort of derivative.

The only thing I noticed in that state of play trailer is that some animation was real jank. Whenever a dude got schwacked in the face with an arrow he flew backwards and did a sort of pivot instantly in the air and during the transition scene when the Jin set fire to the boat it looked pretty choppy. Hopefully that gets smoothed out some.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    This really appears to be the Assassin's Creed set in feudal Japan that we've been asking for since...whenever Assassin's Creed came out. Granted, it's not during the sengoku jidai, but hey.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm very glad this looks so good because TLoU2 leaks broke my heart. It feels nice to have at least one big Sony exclusive to look forward to.

Color and Dub vs Black and White and Sub is going to be a hard choice.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Getting a real Breath of the Wild influence from that footage. I'm down for that.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I haven't heard much about TLoU2 leaks beyond somebody was upset and leaked stuff?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    You don't need to get off your horse to gather shit, so it's already got a leg up on Witcher 3.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I haven't heard much about TLoU2 leaks beyond somebody was upset and leaked stuff?

They're out there if you wanna read them, or see them. There's at least a couple hours of leaked footage too. Don't wanna get into it here because it's not the thread for it. This thread should be for people excited for Ghost of Tsushima and for happy excited feelings for a game that looks awesome.

No actual spoilers just... comments.
    Let's just say.... I haven't seen a single person who's looked at the leaks not be vehemently disgusted by them. It's like the game was made as the anti-game to TLoU1 and to hate on everything people enjoyed about the characters of the first game. If you liked Joel and Ellie then fuck you.

Not to mention that the design seems to be 'to make you feel bad, as the player' from multiple press releases, instead of creating a game that's fun. The priorites feel really fucked up. Then there's the working conditions over at Naughty Dog and the super crunch without paying their workers. Or that one of the best writers in all of video games, Amy Hennig, got pushed out of the company and it's gone downhill since. It's left me really sad thinking about it.

...So yeah... This Ghost of Tsushima game looks great.

I wonder if we can make a Jack, or a Jin/Mugen, with all the equipment options.

• Options
    Oh I would 100% have to imagine that we're gonna get some like, homage armour or clothes.

Jin already kinda looks like Toshirô Mifune so you might as well let me dress him up like Throne of Blood.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Honestly unsure whether or not I'm going to sub or dub this

I guess it depends on which is the "intended" experience, because the Japanese voiceover in that section looked a bit... unnatural, with the lip movement

Black and white mode will be interesting though, as long as it's tuned correctly

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm trying to decide if I want to play this with the dub or the sub.

I'm normally a dub all the time person, but I did the subs for Judgement since Yakuza had me so used to japanese audio in that world and hearing english in Kamurocho felt wrong.

This game looking so evocative of the old japanese samurai films has me feeling like it might be more appropriate to use the sub. Guess I have a few months to think it over.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I am 100% going for sub first go round.

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I want to play this with the dub or the sub.

I'm normally a dub all the time person, but I did the subs for Judgement since Yakuza had me so used to japanese audio in that world and hearing english in Kamurocho felt wrong.

This game looking so evocative of the old japanese samurai films has me feeling like it might be more appropriate to use the sub. Guess I have a few months to think it over.

Aw man I thought this was coming out early June, instead it is coming out on my birthday

Thanks for that Sony, I guess...

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I kinda love that like, wind and birds point you to objectives and secrets

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    I'm sure the final release will have typical UI stuff, but I really like that the video doesn't have an onscreen map and objective markers and healthbar and stuff.

• Options
    I'm sure the final release will have typical UI stuff, but I really like that the video doesn't have an onscreen map and objective markers and healthbar and stuff.

They very specifically had a press release that they weren't going to have giant flashing waypoint markers in the game, instead having a focus on physical landmarks.

I wonder how many hits Jin can take and if he goes down just as fast as the enemies if you don't parry/dodge correctly.

• Options
    On the one hand I think really really emphasizing the sort of economy of motion and deadliness of strikes by having damage cut (heh) both ways would be awesome. On the other hand I was so shit awful bad at Sekiro I'd never finish this game if that did end up being the case and I don't want that.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I hope this ports to PC

because wow

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I know certain visual concessions must be made for open world games, but I don't actually think Ghosts of Tsushima looks like, groundbreaking.

I like the immersive elements like trying to deliver the usual UI elements with things in the world like landmarks and guiding winds/animals, but, like, that fire/explosion on the ship looked bad, and the combat animations are so-so. Definitely reminded me of Assassin's Creed.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    IGN has a pretty decent review up. Non spoilery.

https://youtu.be/MHrsygIxC5k

Tl:Didnt watch

Pros:
    Very Pretty
    Excellent combat
    Killer photomode
    Extremely Samurai as hell
    Decent enough side quest
    Great soundtrack
    Cool hats

Cons:
    Iffy enemy AI
    Bad stealth (which seems largely optional so most people will probably just samurai the shit out of people instead of sneaky sneaky)
    No NG+
    Japanese dub is apparently very good but not at all synced and looks kinda weird.

I totally forgot this game comes out in 2 days.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of that list of cons is that I don't like subs, I don't do NG+ and I don't plan on doing stealth. Which removes basically the whole list..

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Alrighty I am playing the game and it is indeed very pretty but wowee the Japanese dub sure is a dub.

I wish they had gone the Sekiro route and done the whole thing in Japanese to start with and given the option for an English dub instead.

Speaking of Sekiro, there definitely appears to be some sekiro elements sneaking in here. It's kinda crazy how it seems to be turning into the new Arkham when it comes to influencing combat in games.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to this. This honestly seems like the perfect time for an open ass open world game, and from what I read and seen the game looks pretty fun.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Alrighty I am playing the game and it is indeed very pretty but wowee the Japanese dub sure is a dub.

I wish they had gone the Sekiro route and done the whole thing in Japanese to start with and given the option for an English dub instead.

Speaking if Sekiro, there definitely appears to be some sekiro elements sneaking in here. It's kinda crazy how it seems to be turning into the new Arkham when it comes to influencing combat in games.

Alternatively as someone only interested in playing in English, thank goodness they did it this way.

• Options
    Hoo boy the standoffs are cool oh boy are they cool as hell.

On the other hand, theres no enemy lock on and apparently that's because you can do a bunch of stances and combo chains that allow you to be really fluid. But so far I keep spinning off in the opposite direction of the bad guys and getting stabbed in the back.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ok so I've been playing for an hour or two and here are my initial impressions.

1. It's a very pretty game with a few oddities than are somewhat glaring. Particularly Jin's running animation has somekind of weird twitch to it that's not super noticeable but once you do you can't unsee it. Grain of salt, the last two games I've played were RDR2 and the Last of Us 2, two games that had an insane level of polish only achievable by stupid crunch times and heavy work loads on employees. So expecting that level of finish on any game is unrealistic but sorta hard to shake now the genie's out of the bottle I guess. That said, the atmosphere is spot on. Wind blowing, blood red japanese maple leaves fluttering all around, your cloak whipping in the wind. It makes those moments where you have a standoff with an enemy absolutely killer. It's very cinematic and you can tell Sucker Punch really paid a lot of attention to detail and had an honest love of samurai cinema they drew inspiration from.

2. A pretty good array of dress up options. Most seem available right from the start, purchasable by flowers as currency, weirdly enough. I hope theres a bigger array of customization options that opens up as you progress, but also I kinda want to be a humble ronin with a cool hat and simple robes. Unfortunately (for me anyway) clothing options carry different perks that are tied to upgrades which change the appearance of your outfit. I very much doubt this leads to stupid spike armor since the game is very historically grounded, but I'm the kinda person that might find a cool outfit I like more than the upgraded version. So I have to choose missing out on an upgrade to look cool or taking the upgrade and not liking how I look. You can cycle through the tiers on outfits so if you like tier 2 instead of tier 3 or 4 you can keep the look while still getting the upgrade benefits which is fuckin awesome!

3.The UI is very minimalist and I fucking love it. More games need to remove UI and let me play with a clean screen. It doesn't clog up your screen with stuff and I turned enemy status bars off for more immersion. The guiding wind is fairly intuitive but its mapped to swiping up on the dualshock's touch pad which can be a little awkward. Swiping left let's you walk around and play a sakuhachi flute which is great.

4. The combat is solid. The game is actually kind of difficult, even on medium, with enemies being able to deal significant damage. There is a skill curve here that I think will smooth out and allow players to really get a flow going. There's just enough Sekiro influence in the combat that I'm picking up on the signals and trying to play like Sekiro, which you can't do. It's the same problem I had with Fallen Order.

5. Stealth is absolutely bog standard and bland and unfortunately the game throws a few "remain undetected or the mongols will kill the hostages" missions at you. I figured it would shoehorn in the stealth bits so I was prepared. Luckily the rest of the combat is so satisfying it more than makes up for it. You can use your bow to set off traps like hornets nests or hitting torches to shower sparks on enemies or blow up barrels. Standard stuff that feels kinda tacked on.

6. Theres no enemy lock on. This is probably my biggest frustration so far. Using L3 you're supposed to be able to "point" towards an enemy and then chain attacks but it seems hit or miss. I'll probably figure more out as I go.

7. This is a minor nitpick but you can't sheath and unsheathed your sword at will. It just seems kind of like a weird oversight for a samurai simulator. You can! You can sheathe your sword!

8. The Japanese Dub is good and very immersive and I got over the bad syncing pretty quick. The game actually doesn't do a lot of lingering on talking characters. It uses a lot of medium and wide shots and often zooms way out to let you soak up scenery, so you don't have to spend time looking at mismatched lip sync.

That's where I'm at so far, but I'm really enjoying it. It could bog down pretty quick but its pretty much exactly what I wanted. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it doesn't do anything new or exciting but I think it nails most of the things on its checklist. The biggest one being "be a cool ass samurai doing samurai shit in a Kurosawa movie" and boy howdy put a big ole check mark on that.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Sword-sheathing is done via touchpad: swipe right to clean blade and sheathe it.

• Options
    Oh well shit ok I completely missed that STRIKE IT FROM THE LIST

• Options
    I don't think I can adequately express how glad I am to read there's a button to sheathe your sword.

• Options
    Can confirm there are multiple touchpad interactions, which might make this the most touchpad-heavy PS4 game in recent memory!

Swipe right to draw/sheathe sword, swipe up to grab a leaf and let it go into the wind dramatically, swipe down to bow, and swipe left to whip out your Japanese recorder/wind instrument I don't know the name of, and play a little ditty

(Playing the song also changes the weather, like you're playing Zelda or something. You unlock new songs as you progress through the game, your initial one just makes it sunny)

Oh yeah and the fact that there's no lock-on is REALLY fucking me up in fights, mostly because the camera doesn't pull back quite far enough to give you the spatial awareness you need, and without a lock-on to recenter it on the next enemy, you have to do that manually. I don't really care for that!

But other than that, the combat is extremely satisfying, with some excellent impact and animation blending. This is a stupidly good looking game, mostly in its environment and character models though, individual textures can look kinda ehhh

My biggest complaint aesthetically so far is, other than some excellent standout shots through the opening hour, most of the cinematography in cutscenes has been shot/reverse shot, over-the-shoulder, and boring as hell in terms of framing and composition. This is one area I genuinely think Sekiro does better--its cutscenes (admittedly far fewer) are directed with a sense of style and flair that makes even simple scenes and interactions into something visually compelling. Tsushima seems to be relying a lot on its writing and its performances to carry the scene, and while the performers are absolutely top notch so far, I don't think there's gonna be a moment I remember in this game the way I remember the initial meetings with Genichiro or Owl

Anyway game's cool and sword go slicey dicey

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Unless there is a menu somewhere (I didn't see it on the controls screen) the game doesn't tell you any swipe controls other than guiding wind and the recorder.

I'm gonna catch so many dramatic leaves and be a angst

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The first hour or so of the game does not make the best impression, but when it opens up it become better.

The title drop is super impressive!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I fought some dudes and I slashed one dude and then moved on to his buddy while the first dude was still grasping at his neck and then cut through the second dude and their knees both hit the ground at the same time while I didn't look at either of them because cool guys don't look at explosions / dramatically samurai-slashed bad guys

very samurai would bushido again 10/10

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This game is insanely beautiful:
    2ci7kewcbriu.jpeg

Edit: Spoilered for huge.

never die on
  • Options
    I now have a straw hat. I am samurai.

• Options
    That was the very first thing I bought.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I now have a straw hat. I am samurai.

Give me that and a nodachi and I'll happily get my Mifune on.

Also, this'll mark (once its done downloading) the first PS4 exclusive I'll have bought and played since God of War...and what the hell, the bonus content on this thing is 22GB by itself.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a pretty good late title card.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen