As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Poll [Chat]

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    But, the Hulk is an alter ego, and his normal shape isn't even a secret like Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne. Everyone knows he's Bruce Banner. Does the Hulk have to pay taxes separately from Bruce Banner?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The marvel movies did Hulk dirty. Whatever you my think of the Ed Norton movie, he was afraid of the Hulk and losing control of his emotions because bad things happen. Towards the end of Marvel Movies, Mark Ruffalo was goading him to come out, but was I guess impotent. They eventually turned a tragic character into a zen scientist dudebro meme.

Deebaser on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    corny comic panels have such an awful mouth feel. I prefer my hulk as a barely contained rage beast, not a silly goof eating his peenut butta fwom da jah.

o2cfm4e6euvr.png

Don't put Hulk in a box. Hulk has other needs as well.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    tbh I'm glad they got rid of the "Hulks out at the worst possible time" plot device.

nibXTE7.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I believe the Hulk came into existence partly as a way for Banner to hide from the mountain of debt incurred while pursuing 7 PhDs.

And since student debt isn’t discharged in a bankruptcy, Banner is even more of a liability than Hulk

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should probably get on doing my taxes

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    So that was uncomfortable

Work is having the "who do we bring off furlough, and when" discussion because we have a backlog piling up

Which means the issue that some people who have been furloughed are/would be net negatives in productivity terms has been thrown into sharp relief
    Yeah. This a prelude conversation to a layoff for hose who are "net negatives." That is a super uncomfortable convo. I've been on those calls when we a contract expires and the govt doesn't plan on putting another in its place.

It's been coming for a while

It's been a bit of a death spiral because their performance is so poor that managers avoid allocating them work, so they accumulate fewer and fewer billable hours, look less and less productive, and never actually get any better at the job

So the discussion becomes about whether anyone will actually task them on anything if they're brought back, which ... *awkward silence*

Interesting, thank you

There is an exemption carved out for cafeterias in UK tax law, as well (Section 317 ITEPA 2003 / section 60 FA 2010), but:
    • The meal must be on a reasonable scale
    • All employees may obtain a free or subsidised meal
    • The dining area is for staff use only
    • The meals are not provided as part of salary sacrifice arrangements

It's the salary sacrifice that will ding The Hulk here, if he's accepting food instead of his Avengers wage, unless all Avengers are under the same arrangement and there's no opt-out available

Good old Tolley's Handbook

I still have a post it tab against this section because it came up in a mock exam

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Rather than go after a few supervillains who owe taxes the Avengers could do much more good by lobbying for increased taxes on the rich but they won’t because Iron Man protects his class’s interests

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It's wild that Americans have to pay taxes to America no matter where they live

If America could ever bother to reform this it'd be pretty cool of them

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I like Ruffalo's Hulk but "I'm always angry" strangled a solo project before it ever started.

I do like how they followed that into Ragnarok, him being the Hulk so long that a little bit of humanity started bleeding in.

Overall the decision that the Hulk is a comedic centerpiece is probably better than it being dramatic. There's just not that much there for a feature movie.

Ang Lee's Hulk is such an interesting time capsule. That movie could only have been made in the tiny window where CGI was accelerating but before Spider-man.
    That movie was in postproduction when Spider-man released, and the producer saw Spider-man, went outside, and called Ang Lee to say they were fucked. Because Raimi had defined what a superhero movie was, and their footage was too different

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Rather than go after a few supervillains who owe taxes the Avengers could do much more good by lobbying for increased taxes on the rich but they won’t because Iron Man protects his class’s interests

9fv5ciu4rk9j.jpg

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    But, the Hulk is an alter ego, and his normal shape isn't even a secret like Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne. Everyone knows he's Bruce Banner. Does the Hulk have to pay taxes separately from Bruce Banner?

Bruce could set up a company, claim The Hulk as an employee, and then sign him to The Avengers as an independent contractor

Bruce could then take agent fees from The Hulk's wages, and The Hulk could then claim them as business expenses. They'd be a source of income for Bruce Banner Limited, but they'd be taxed at the lower Corporation Tax rate rather than the Personal Tax rate

Bruce could then claim a wage from Bruce Banner Limited up to his tax-free allowance (which would be an expense for the company, lowering its taxable profits), and make up the rest in a post-tax dividend, again taxed at a lower rate from Banner's perspective

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited May 2020
    I think the US had a top marginal income tax rate of around 90% until the 60s

The idea that we don't tax almost all income over a certain threshold is a relatively new one

Edit: the UK as well, apparently

japan on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Interesting, thank you

There is an exemption carved out for cafeterias in UK tax law, as well (Section 317 ITEPA 2003 / section 60 FA 2010), but:

It's the salary sacrifice that will ding The Hulk here, if he's accepting food instead of his Avengers wage, unless all Avengers are under the same arrangement and there's no opt-out available

I still have a post it tab against this section because it came up in a mock exam

It came up in my first ever compliance case: investigating the entertainment expenses of a small company

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    tbh I always thought it was weird that other countries don't tax their expats similar to the US

I mean rich people always have plenty of ways to hide their money but certainly it seems like it would make it real easy to just buy a citizenship of some fake tax haven country and route all your income though there

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    The movies differ from the comics in that definitive endings for a character's arc are possible, because the actor doesn't want to do it any more. The tragic character doesn't have to stay tragic forever, he can reach a resolution and put tragedy behind him, because its unsolvable nature was only there because the character needed to go on indefinitely without permanently disrupting the basic premise of the setup.

The idea that we don't tax almost all income over a certain threshold is a relatively new one

ONE FOR YOU
    NINETEEN FOR ME

Interesting, thank you

It came up in my first ever compliance case: investigating the entertainment expenses of a small company

As an auditor

Step 1 of regularity testing is "obtain trial balance and transaction listing for the period"

Step 2 is "Ctrl+F 'entertainment'"

edited May 2020
    Aioua wrote: »
    tbh I always thought it was weird that other countries don't tax their expats similar to the US

I mean rich people always have plenty of ways to hide their money but certainly it seems like it would make it real easy to just buy a citizenship of some fake tax haven country and route all your income though there

Most other countries don't assume by default that one of their citizens moving abroad is primarily doing so to evade taxes

This isn't a dig at you, the US tax code very much seems designed with this assumption in mind, to the extent that any US citizen living abroad with a relatively small amount of assets has to make a yearly report to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network

Burnage on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    we negotiated thanos down to only wiping out one-third of all life in the universe and quite frankly you should be grateful

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Rich people also spent decades rigging the system so that most of their income isn’t taxable.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It might have been more interesting if we saw that resolution in the movie instead of it happening during a time skip.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

Most other countries don't assume by default that one of their citizens moving abroad is primarily to evade taxes

This isn't a dig at you, the US tax code very much seems designed with this assumption in mind, to the extent that any US citizen living abroad with a relatively small amount of assets has to make a yearly report to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network

I mean the US could be less onerous about it.

Like you should probably just be able to submit a "I made less that 100k" form (or whatever the exclusion amount is) instead of actually filling.

But the core idea always seemed fine to me, as long as you have a generous income exclusion.

My taxes constantly go towards things I don't want and can't use.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    It might have been more interesting if we saw that resolution in the movie instead of it happening during a time skip.

Do you really want to watch 2 hours of Mark Ruffalo poop-face grunting trying to learn to control the Hulk though?

nibXTE7.png
    This sucks. I was on a roll and have work stuff that i want to get done but can’t because it’s my wife turn to work and she’s on a call.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I believe the Hulk came into existence partly as a way for Banner to hide from the mountain of debt incurred while pursuing 7 PhDs.

And since student debt isn’t discharged in a bankruptcy, Banner is even more of a liability than Hulk

Theyre mostly honorary. Two are from bbq restraunt eating contests.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Do you really want to watch 2 hours of Mark Ruffalo poop-face grunting trying to learn to control the Hulk though?

I think Ruffalo and Disney could manage a better man vs himself movie than that.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Bogart wrote: »

ONE FOR YOU
    NINETEEN FOR ME
    Ah, George Harrison, the most spiritual Beatle, writing classic songs such as

-We are all one and have a glowing inner light

-Let's all hold hands and sing Hare Krishna

-Waaahhh Britain taxes rich people too much waaahh

wandering on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh god this script is heavily built on regular expressions.

FUCK YOU REGEX!

u7stthr17eud.png
    what if the incredible hulk but with horniness instead of anger

my idea please do not steal

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Two three hour films, one entirely from the perspective of banner, the other from the perspective of the hulk and they come out at the same time and you have to decide which one to go see first.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Oh god this script is heavily built on regular expressions.

FUCK YOU REGEX!

Nothing that a few more brackets cant fix I'm sure

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

And also Hulk is a hot lawyer lady.

Elendil wrote: »

HULK SMASH

it would give scarlett johansson something to do in those movies, at least

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Two three hour films, one entirely from the perspective of banner, the other from the perspective of the hulk and they come out at the same time and you have to decide which one to go see first.

Do you have Banner just black out when it's time for Hulk, only to wake up in a post Hulk setting with no idea what happened in the interim?
    Or so you just do a close up on Banner's face in darkness while the Hulk sounds rage in the background?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The Hulk's big issue is that he doesn't have any cool weapons or gear

What if he had a big sword and leather...hotpants?

Give Hulk a magic sword Thor you greedy tool

Tumin on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is US taxed like you put money into a tax account over the year and then pay it in a lump sum? If so that sucks.

PSN: Honkalot
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Do you have Banner just black out when it's time for Hulk, only to wake up in a post Hulk setting with no idea what happened in the interim?
    Or so you just do a close up on Banner's face in darkness while the Hulk sounds rage in the background?

Oh definitely the first. The Banner movie is just him waking up and having to deal with the ramifications of what just happened and figuring out what went on during the hulk periods, while the Hulk movie is just HULK WAKES UP, HULK BEING SHOT?! HULK SMASH PUNY GUN MEN

This discussion has been closed.