As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets talk about [Mass Effect] while my girlfriend plays for the first time

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    She wanted to finish up her squad, so we went to recruit Thane. She saved all the workers and definitely punted that one guy out the window.

Then Garrus's loyalty mission activated and we immediately went zooming over there to do that. She totally let Garrus blast Sidonis.

Other minor things we took care of: The Quarian indentured service bit in the bar she handled by getting Synthetic Insights to buy the Quarians contract, but she didn't like it. She told the Blue Rose of Illium Asari to get with the poetry-spouting Krogan. Mr. Thrax sent a representative to thank Shepard for forwarding information on some shipping irregularities to him and we listened to a rather bitchy Asari panicking because she'd been caught.

Samara's loyalty mission has activated and she found out the Ardat-Yakshi is a thing. She wasn't really on board with the murdering because of genetic makeup thing until Samara mentioned Morinth is her daughter, then she was all "Okay, murder it is."

The Collector ship mission is next, which means I can finally not have to use pistols and SMGs anymore and can start using the Mattock soon. Not that it matters because Shepard now has Throw fully levelled.

Mattock is a weird way to spell Widow.

Widow is a weird way to spell Revenant?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    you're all spelling Claymore wrong

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Revenant is basically the Klobb of Mass Effect. It's fine if you want to spend a bunch of time shooting and not hitting anything though!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Revenant is basically the Klobb of Mass Effect. It's fine if you want to spend a bunch of time shooting and not hitting anything though!

It's meant for Soldiers. Accuracy doesn't matter if you can press a button to slow time and reload the entire gun instantly.

• Options
    What the fuck is a Soldiers.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's meant for Soldiers. Accuracy doesn't matter if you can press a button to slow time and reload the entire gun instantly.

But the gun that only Soldiers can get is the Revenant, and that gun is hilarious.

• Options

The class you pick when you think Shepard should pack literally all of the guns at all times. Then your class skill is reloading your current gun and entering bullet time because MOAR DAKKA. And yes, Darkprimus... that was literally my point.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Common mistake, the Revenant is not actually an Assault Rifle; it is, in fact, an incredibly sloppy flamethrower.

It is the sole reason why you kit out for Inferno Ammo first as a Soldier.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

The class you pick when you think Shepard should pack literally all of the guns at all times. Then your class skill is reloading your current gun and entering bullet time because MOAR DAKKA. And yes, Darkprimus... that was literally my point.

That was a joke. I didn't think anyone actually picked Soldier when you could be a Vanguard, which is a Soldier with mobility, or Infiltrator, which is a Soldier with invisibility.

• Options
    As someone who has played through Mass Effect 2 as all the classes, Soldier is just... boring compared to any other option you could pick.

Oh, you can go into slow-motion to shoot? Whatever, Easy Mode!

• Options
    For the record, my "canon" Shepard has been an Infiltrator, and my Insanity Shepard has been a Vanguard in ME2/3 (Adept in 1 because fuck playing ME1 on Insanity).

Dancing on the knife's edge, charging into the danger zone... that's the life.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Or even a Sentinel, which is a Soldier that laughs at your puny bullets.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    The ME snipers never did much for me. Having the Spectre X weapon with the high explosive rounds and a couple Kinetic Coil Xs on it was fun though.

BWOOOAR! <target explodes, ragdolls, and flies clear across the map> BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, repeat as necessary.

This Shepard can't have the Widow, because to get the Widow the class has to already be proficient in Snipers. Sentinels only have SMGs and Pistols, so any weapon selected will just grant proficiency in that class of weapons and not the special Shepard-only gun.

My first Shepard was a soldier all they way through the trilogy. It was fun, I liked it. I did not, however, like the Revenant. I prefer the semi-auto ARs over the snipers. I'm weird I guess.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options

That was a joke. I didn't think anyone actually picked Soldier when you could be a Vanguard, which is a Soldier with mobility, or Infiltrator, which is a Soldier with invisibility.

Having done a full Soldier playthrough, your descriptions aren't super accurate. Vanguard is very swingy, if a Charge fails to go off, you're suddenly someone with iffy shields and weapons bad for ranged combat, standing out of cover. Infiltrator is more Soldier like, but it's all about one big burst of damage. Soldier is about incredibly sustained DPS. Revenant sells this the best, but you can do it with any style of combat. Grenades can be amusing to spam and you get to decide in each encounter if you'd like to sit back and snipe, rush with a shotgun, or just own the room with assault rifle fire.

I do think that ME2 Soldier feels more distinct than ME3. In 2, classes were defined by their weapon focus. In 3, they were like... use whatever you want, who cares. Feels like they stole a class feature from Soldiers, mainly for multiplayer reasons.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Or even a Sentinel, which is a Soldier that laughs at your puny bullets.

Pretty sure I said it already, but I'll say it again: Sentinel is the only class that felt like it got a big nerf from ME2 to ME3.

• Options
    Funny, since it was still busted as fuck in ME3.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Infiltrator became way more fun once you could carry a sniper AND the shotgun pistol. Then stroll up to enemies while invisible and point blank shotgun -> face, then turn around and one shot almost anything across the map

Joolander on
  • Options
    Funny, since it was still busted as fuck in ME3.

It was busted, but it wasn't as fun. The changes to tech armor sucked all the enjoyment out of the class.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Me1 soldier, amirite??

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I am also replaying ME2 atm

It might be my all-time favorite game

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I played through the series as every class except Sentinel (good in 1, didn't like it in 2, never tried it in 3) and engineer (just seemed boring). I did Soldier last because I assumed it would be dull but it's now my favourite and the one I use every time I do a replay. Give me all the gun and ammo options, let me pick something like Reave as my bonus power, and I'm laughing. Biotics and tech stuff are what squadmates are for. I also just think soldier is the best class for Shepard story-wise.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Soldier is what you pick when you want to experience Mass Effect as a pure Third Person Shooter title, with a mild sprinkling of powers to taste.

Your mileage may vary, but I enjoy it a lot.

Though now that I'm replaying ME3 as a Vanguard, I'm realizing playing a Soldier for ME2 has caused me to completely forget how to Charge in such a manner that I don't immediately get bodied.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Engineer was surprisingly fun in ME2 and ME3. It's also the only class to ever get its own specific dialogue option/interrupt.

In ME2 I played with "Dominate" as my bonus power. Which was awesome. I just controlled the battlefield.

In ME3, it was tech and fire bursts all the time. That combo system in ME3 was a stroke of genius.

• Options
    Sorry, I meant CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE

Starting with that is a good way!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I never really could get a handle on vanguards in 3MP.
    Or really a lot of the builds that people swore by, like EDI with the Reegar.
    My favorites were the Vorcha Sentinel, N7 Destroyer with the Harrier, Geth Juggernaut, Drell Infiltrator, Krogan Warlord (when paired with a buddy who could prime, like the Vorcha Sentinel), and N7 Demolisher.

Though the Krogan Gladiator from Andromeda may be favorite overall. Setting up enemies with pull and then hammering them off the map was extremely satisfying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Vanguard in multi was very latency sensitive. You were always gambling when you played it off-host.

EDI with the Reegar though? Come on, that shit was totally broken!

ME3 multi was so good. All of those classes you listed could wreck some serious shit.

Orca on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I spent a LOT of time in multi using the revenant with the turian sentinel

it's very strong but you pretty much can only use it from cover

the Typhoon made it largely irrelevant, though

• Options
    I never actually tried vanguard in single player. I went infiltrator, and never completed my full playthrough. Got about half way through ME3.

My friends actually bought me the trilogy way back when, cause I'd hop in the xbox party to chat with them while they played 3mp, and I played FFX. I kept lamenting that i couldn't join them.

In my very first game with them, it was on the map with the acid rain and I couldn't figure out why my shields wouldn't regen, because the rain wouldn't render.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man I loved the acid rain map. ME3 multi did so many things so right.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    EA once released some depressing stats about how everyone plays default face mapshep soldier.

And yeah, ME3 multi was good. I played for stasis/throw warp/throw with the charge pistol that had an arced shot, so satisfying to get good at the arc while popping explosions everywhere...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    To be fair most custom Shep faces are garbage

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    On that note...
    av4r268mm5vn.png

• Options
    DO NOT WANT

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    EA once released some depressing stats about how everyone plays default face mapshep soldier.

And yeah, ME3 multi was good. I played for stasis/throw warp/throw with the charge pistol that had an arced shot, so satisfying to get good at the arc while popping explosions everywhere...

For players unaccustomed to RPG mechanics, Soldier would provide a very good experience. That and stuff like Story difficulty were very good ideas. I just wish they hadn't hacked the dialogue tree to nothing, that was terrible.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    On that note...
    av4r268mm5vn.png

This is what happens when you cut the budget for the Lazarus Project

• Options
    Truck Shepard has a beautiful soul, you leave that poor boy alone.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The N7 Valiant was only introduced in 3 but even with that late arrival it easily became my favorite weapon.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the closest I ever came to enjoying any sniper rifle in ME3 multi was the saber

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    The N7 Valiant was only introduced in 3 but even with that late arrival it easily became my favorite weapon.

The Valiant was really fun.

steam_sig.png