As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread 4.0

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Edit: Removed fart smell-related chemistry stuff that doesn't belong here.

Movitz on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    One thing I have learned from this pandemic is that I am constantly swapping fluids with random people all the godsdamn time. Stand in any line, ever? Might as well be kissing everyone in about a 6 foot radius.

Smelling a fart is getting poo particles on your face

Two of my friends used to be roommates and one of them that farted a lot would always be like "You smell that? Get my poop right up into your nostrils."

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Sweden has a right wing crank who is going against the international expert advice and trying to make it a point of national pride. Science and medicine hasn’t confirmed that population-level sustained immunity exists, because some viruses either don’t or offer limited immunity. Hell, some piggback on antibodies and cause a stronger infection next time.

It’s Mengele-level mad science. I really don’t give a fuck for the “I’m Swedish and I think” nationalism, becuase science and nature don’t care that one band of apes drew a line on a map and declared themselves different from the neighboring apes.

Being “ultimately right” doesn’t matter. It is about how we behave while we collect hard data and develop treatments, not which nation made a lucky bet.

I’m going to at least call out the right-wing crank part as being objectively wrong.

He’s right wing, and he is basing his policy on unproven science - aka crank science. That’s objectively the definition of a crank, or a quack if you prefer since this is medicine.

Herd immunity is a wishful fantasy until the science comes in. Your repeated appeals to objectivity only work when discussing actual proven facts.

“Muh Herd Immunity!” is global right wing nonsense. Some viruses work that way and some don’t.

This one may work that way, but the “Some Don’t” list includes other coronaviruses, and there are physical characteristics of this virus that are making researchers worry that it is also in that category.

It may even be right - stopped clocks and all - but is based on the magical thinking that if we all just “Go through it” it will be over.

Standard issue right wing hard man nonsense married to crank science, but it seems to have some people’s nationalism boner throbbing to defend their nation, so it is achieving its prime purpose.

Dude, not everything is a right wing conspiracy.

To reiterate, there has never been any official line of aiming for herd immunity in Sweden. A bunch of people not associated with the government has been speculating wildly (on both sides of the herd immunity issue) but for some reason the right wing in the US picked up on the pro-immunity arguments (again, from non-official sources) and made it into a speaking point. And people now seem pissed at an insignificant country on the edge of the world because of it.

This whole discussion started back in the other thread because I disagreed that Sweden was boasting of being a success story. Nowhere have I seen Swedish officials doing this.
    I also said that the othering and whataboutism aimed at Sweden seems to be mostly for making political points at the domestic arenas around the world.

For the record, I have absolutely no stake in this game and my boner is throbbing for other things thank you very much. I think the smartest for most countries would have been to do like Denmark, Germany etc and:
    (A) Shut down for a while.
    (B) Look at spread patterns.
    (C) Open up society to a level where people can stand the limitations on everyday life in the long-term. And keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

For some reason Sweden jumped directly to (C) and the elderly is paying for it now. So not good.
    Most other EU countries are just now arriving at (C), in many cases sans dead elderly which is obviously a better outcome.

Sweden has a right wing government that has ridden an anti-immigrant backlash to power
    and used that power to slowly dismantle worker protections and cut back on benefits. The official line is less herd immunity and more that the Swedish are culturally special and do not need the same response, but it's the same deal.

That's the situation. It's not a secret and not a conspiracy. It's just Sweden following the global populist pattern.

Ultimately, the Sweden in the popular imagination got hijacked by the anti-immigrant backlash. That backlash is now killing thousands of Swedes unnecessarily, because that's what happens when right-wing populism meets a crisis.

Another similarity, the virus is hitting the immigrant community in Sweden a lot harder

What, no. While global populism is a god damn plague on the political landscape so far the Swedish populists have been kept out of the government. They got 17.5 % of the votes and all other parties have vowed to never cooperate with them. Though one of the biggest opposition parties have now taken back that promise so we'll see how that goes. The current government are Democrats together with the Green party with the support from Centrists and Liberals.

That linked article actually ends with the authors stating that the populists don't have any real governing power.

Though I agree the populist fuckers have been allowed to own the political discussion in way too many EU countries, Sweden included. And globally for that matter.
    shryke wrote: »
    I asked this before but is there a link on exactly what Sweden did that was wrong and whether or not is was some deliberate attempt and how that's linked to right-wing populism?

Cause there's a lot of people saying that but I can't find anything to back it up.

The only thing I can find is stuff saying they adopted a less strict approach to lockdown.

Frankly, a lot of it seems to stem from @Phillishere 's confusion of the Swedish PM's actual party (Labour Party) for the far-right populist and not in-power Swedish Democrats.

Partially, but the actual policy is still insane from a public health perspective. It is courting massive death on the unproven assumption that social distancing is not needed/herd immunity will solve this problem in a reasonable time frame (and not develop over the next 20-40 years like the virologist expect).

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    What's the point of a pandemic if you can't get your beak wet?
    Moderna's stock price skyrocketed as much as 30% on Monday after the biotech company announced promising early results for its coronavirus vaccine. As ordinary investors piled in, two insiders were quietly heading for the exits.

Moderna's chief financial officer and chief medical officer executed options and sold nearly $30 million of shares combined on Monday and Tuesday, SEC filings reviewed by CNN Business show.
    The sales occurred after Moderna (MRNA) excited Wall Street before markets opened Monday by announcing encouraging vaccine trial results. Moderna's market value swelled to $29 billion -- even though the company has no marketed products.
    After spiking to as high as $87 on Monday, Moderna's stock price has since retreated below $70 as medical experts have debated the importance of the early findings.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sweden has a right wing crank who is going against the international expert advice and trying to make it a point of national pride. Science and medicine hasn’t confirmed that population-level sustained immunity exists, because some viruses either don’t or offer limited immunity. Hell, some piggback on antibodies and cause a stronger infection next time.

It’s Mengele-level mad science. I really don’t give a fuck for the “I’m Swedish and I think” nationalism, becuase science and nature don’t care that one band of apes drew a line on a map and declared themselves different from the neighboring apes.

Being “ultimately right” doesn’t matter. It is about how we behave while we collect hard data and develop treatments, not which nation made a lucky bet.

I’m going to at least call out the right-wing crank part as being objectively wrong.

He’s right wing, and he is basing his policy on unproven science - aka crank science. That’s objectively the definition of a crank, or a quack if you prefer since this is medicine.

Herd immunity is a wishful fantasy until the science comes in. Your repeated appeals to objectivity only work when discussing actual proven facts.

“Muh Herd Immunity!” is global right wing nonsense. Some viruses work that way and some don’t.

This one may work that way, but the “Some Don’t” list includes other coronaviruses, and there are physical characteristics of this virus that are making researchers worry that it is also in that category.

It may even be right - stopped clocks and all - but is based on the magical thinking that if we all just “Go through it” it will be over.

Standard issue right wing hard man nonsense married to crank science, but it seems to have some people’s nationalism boner throbbing to defend their nation, so it is achieving its prime purpose.

To reiterate, there has never been any official line of aiming for herd immunity in Sweden. A bunch of people not associated with the government has been speculating wildly (on both sides of the herd immunity issue) but for some reason the right wing in the US picked up on the pro-immunity arguments (again, from non-official sources) and made it into a speaking point. And people now seem pissed at an insignificant country on the edge of the world because of it.

This whole discussion started back in the other thread because I disagreed that Sweden was boasting of being a success story. Nowhere have I seen Swedish officials doing this.
    I also said that the othering and whataboutism aimed at Sweden seems to be mostly for making political points at the domestic arenas around the world.

For the record, I have absolutely no stake in this game and my boner is throbbing for other things thank you very much. I think the smartest for most countries would have been to do like Denmark, Germany etc and:
    (C) Open up society to a level where people can stand the limitations on everyday life in the long-term. And keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

For some reason Sweden jumped directly to (C) and the elderly is paying for it now. So not good.
    Most other EU countries are just now arriving at (C), in many cases sans dead elderly which is obviously a better outcome.

Sweden has a right wing government that has ridden an anti-immigrant backlash to power
    and used that power to slowly dismantle worker protections and cut back on benefits. The official line is less herd immunity and more that the Swedish are culturally special and do not need the same response, but it's the same deal.

That's the situation. It's not a secret and not a conspiracy. It's just Sweden following the global populist pattern.

Ultimately, the Sweden in the popular imagination got hijacked by the anti-immigrant backlash. That backlash is now killing thousands of Swedes unnecessarily, because that's what happens when right-wing populism meets a crisis.

Another similarity, the virus is hitting the immigrant community in Sweden a lot harder

What, no. While global populism is a god damn plague on the political landscape so far the Swedish populists have been kept out of the government. They got 17.5 % of the votes and all other parties have vowed to never cooperate with them. Though one of the biggest opposition parties have now taken back that promise so we'll see how that goes. The current government are Democrats together with the Green party with the support from Centrists and Liberals.

That linked article actually ends with the authors stating that the populists don't have any real governing power.

Though I agree the populist fuckers have been allowed to own the political discussion in way too many EU countries, Sweden included. And globally for that matter.
    I asked this before but is there a link on exactly what Sweden did that was wrong and whether or not is was some deliberate attempt and how that's linked to right-wing populism?

Cause there's a lot of people saying that but I can't find anything to back it up.

The only thing I can find is stuff saying they adopted a less strict approach to lockdown.

Frankly, a lot of it seems to stem from @Phillishere 's confusion of the Swedish PM's actual party (Labour Party) for the far-right populist and not in-power Swedish Democrats.

Partially, but the actual policy is still insane from a public health perspective. It is courting massive death on the unproven assumption that social distancing is not needed/herd immunity will solve this problem in a reasonable time frame (and not develop over the next 20-40 years like the virologist expect).

No! This is not the actual policy. There is still no one from the Swedish government or the administration aiming for herd immunity.

And social distancing is being practiced quite stringently. There's a long list of restrictions which people adhere to. As it is now Denmark and Sweden are basically doing the same thing, Italy is opening up in June and Spain in July. Germany is also losening restrictions but I haven't kept track of them as of lately.

Sweden jumped directly to the semi-open state without passing the lockdown state, and the elderly paid for it. Still not as much as in Spain, Italy, Belgium, the UK but still way too high since it could potentially been avoided.

Where do you get your information from? Again, honest question.

Movitz on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    A Missouri hairstylist worked for 8 days while symptomatic and exposed as many as 91 customers and staff. This was May 12th through May 20th so it's not like we're talking months ago.

I don't know enough about the person or their circumstance to say whether it was malicious or just stupid desperation to pay bills. If your state isn't going to shut down, your employer isn't going to help you, the federal government is telling you to hurry up and die or get better so we can mission accomplished this shit... what do you do?

Article

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Phillishere I used the word objective once - because you are objectively wrong about the right wing part. I’ve made no repeated appeals to objectivity... We have a social democratic minority government. There are Sweden democrats in parliament but the status quo up until the latest mandate period has been to not let them have any power - ie agreements between the other parties to settle votes as if the Sweden democrats in parliament was just empty seats.

The people in charge of the response has explicitly said that herd immunity has not been a stated goal and not counted on. Rather that this is the realistic response. No country will be shut down for the 1-2 year period required for a potential vaccine to come. We will all get infected at some point, hopefully once is enough.

What they have done is totally mismanaged elderly home isolation, the deaths are there.

You may be right about a lot of stuff regarding the response here but since you argue so hard for aspects of it that are flat out wrong it may suggest your sources are not great.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Deleted, an unseeded aside.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Being Danish, I am of course genetically disposed to oppose the hated Swede.

But, like, you are grabbing deep, deep into what can only be an impressively cavernous ass for a lot of the stuff you are posting. It's just not true, at all.

No one is going to argue that dead senior citizens is bad, but you are deflecting a lot, and you are going off some very wrong ideas about world politics / Swedish goals and politics, and refusing to engage with some very fair questions.

Like, the idea of Sweden as right wing is wild. Sweden is what Danish right wing wankers point to when they want to prove how bad it gets when you are too left wing.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

The front page of The New York Times for May 24, 2020

The New York Times is a news publication.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think everyone should take a minute and read these folks names

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jesus.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    madparrot wrote: »
    I drive part time for a living, and over the past month and a half I've been smoked by more people going 100m/h (160kph) than in the rest of my life combined.

Some Mad Max shit going on out here

The other day I saw a Honda Civic at a stoplight challenging a Lamborghini to a street race.

Society has gone full tilt stupid.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    madparrot wrote: »
    I drive part time for a living, and over the past month and a half I've been smoked by more people going 100m/h (160kph) than in the rest of my life combined.

Some Mad Max shit going on out here

The other day I saw a Honda Civic at a stoplight challenging a Lamborghini to a street race.

Society has gone full tilt stupid.

In a serious fashion? Hell I would rev my Toyota Corolla at a Lamboghini in a mocking manner

e: Younger me would, rather. I'm almost 40 now.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
      Burnage wrote: »
      Jesus.

The idea that we can bury thousands of our own citizens death down the memory hole was always absurd. This isn't Iraq, where every president can shrug off a 100K+ body count because they died "over there."

• Options
      tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
      I think everyone should take a minute and read these folks names

I’m glad they put a few words of bio next to the names, it humanizes what otherwise would just feel like an anonymous phone book.

• Options
      Today I was in the grocery store and it was chock-a-block with unmasked, mouth-breathing plague-chimneys huffing down the center of every aisle and making snide comments about the people bothering to social-distance. This is at an essential business in a liberal state (albeit a fairly conservative part of that state) that has made a point of impressing the importance of social distancing and generally responsible behavior, and is trying to open up as gradually and safely as possible.

We're fucking doomed.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    • Options
      KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
      Today I was in the grocery store and it was chock-a-block with unmasked, mouth-breathing plague-chimneys huffing down the center of every aisle and making snide comments about the people bothering to social-distance. This is at an essential business in a liberal state (albeit a fairly conservative part of that state) that has made a point of impressing the importance of social distancing and generally responsible behavior, and is trying to open up as gradually and safely as possible.

We're fucking doomed.

I had to go to my local Walgreens today to pick up a prescription, and they have been mostly enforcing their mask policy. But they don't have employees patrolling the aisles, just the one cashier at the front keeping any eye out when people come in. So while in there today I saw a guy in his 20s who had a mask on but pulled down below his mouth the entire time he was walking around shopping, and then pulled it up properly when he got in line behind me so that he'd be able to check out.

Yeah, doomed.

• Options
      StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
      edited May 2020
      Well, at least in my neck of the woods my town made masks mandatory in stores with a town ordinance, and people are mostly complying. Thanks, damn liberal's.

StarZapper on
    • Options
      GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
      I went shopping the other day, and everyone stood at a sensible distance (using the very convenient measurements on the floor, that every grocery store here has). An older lady steps into the queue behind me and in front of the person behind me, and he goes, 'really?'.

She immediately turns around and just starts ranting at him about how it's silly to distance, how she only has a few items anyway, and about how he should mind his own business. Like, she was instantly ready to be aggro, so she absolutely knew she needed to be, you know?

He just calmly listened to her bullshit, waited for her to finish, and went, 'okay, but this is a queue, and you need to go to the end of it'.

At which point she, very wisely, decided to go, 'I'll slap you!'

To which he replied, 'that's cool, but I'll lay you out if you touch me, so bring it'. In a way that made it very clear that, yeah, he would.

Shopping is way more fun these days!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    • Options
      edited May 2020

We're fucking doomed.

Yup. If it turns out in 3-4 months we do end up with a massive surge in addition to our normal influenza season these same clowns won't ever let things shut down again. We tried it once, they didn't like it and only went along with it for a bit. Ordering everyone back inside will have to be accompanied by military checkpoints and a gulag style prison system that just sends everyone caught in violation to an island off the coast of Alaska.

Edit: The hospital I work at is preparing for a shitstorm 3-4 months from now and I actually think it's a bit optimistic to think we make it that long without a curve that is simply a vertical line.

Edit2: I'm 6'3" and I've started carrying pepper spray because I definitely don't want a physical altercation and people are fucking crazy. Many people at the hospital have started carrying pepper spray as well. No way any of us want to go hands on with someone. (It's a gel)*

Edit3: (so many edits) Part of a brief meeting we had Thursday had my direct manager telling me we expect to be in a holding pattern with all distancing and mask policies staying in place for at least the next year.

We're in the process of removing more than half the seating in break rooms and locker rooms, shutting fire doors and sealing hallways so that staff can sit 6 feet apart in chairs to eat lunch. It's just going to be a 200 foot hallway with individual chairs along a wall.

dispatch.o on
    • Options
      DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      Just FYI using pepper spray in an enclosed space is a great way for everyone in the room to be affected by it.

• Options
      Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
      I read the whole NYT front page. Crying now.

These people did not have to die. Someday, certainly; but not now, and not like this.
      How many more will join them, before this is over?

• Options
      DarkPrimus wrote: »
      Just FYI using pepper spray in an enclosed space is a great way for everyone in the room to be affected by it.

Friend of mine used bear spray in the stock room at a sporting goods store. They had to evacuate the area and let it vent for like 3 hours, I've edited to indicate what I have is technically a projectile gel.

• Options
      JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
      Went to the park with my familly today. It was packedddd... it'S the most packed I ever saw that particular park, in fact! it's usually easy peasy to get parking there but today I was lucky to get a spot. (Note : It has to be said than this is the first weekend we have summer like weather here. Also, it's the first weekend since exterior gatherings were expressly permitted by the governement.)

You're not supposed to be more than 10 in a group... saw several groups that were easilly twice over that number and they weren't even trying to social distance within their group.

at least, social distancing beetween the groups was pretty well respected.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    • Options
      MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
      Had to go to Menards because our toilet fill valve (I think it's called?) started leaking.

They had a security guard at the front mandating masks.

Doing all my shopping at Menards and Costco!

I am in the business of saving lives.
    • Options
      ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
      edited May 2020
      I read the whole NYT front page. Crying now.

These people did not have to die. Someday, certainly; but not now, and not like this.
      How many more will join them, before this is over?

Continued on page 12

ceres on
      And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    • Options
      scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
      in Munich, Germany it has become very clear to me that we need to import some English people in order to teach people how to queue. Somehow we get queues in front of the post of office on my way to my supermarket who manage to cover the entire breadth of a 6 meter sidewalk, forcing people to squeeze around it or through it.

Just 300 meters away we have a proper line to a little Kiosk (a place where you can buy smokes and drinks on a sunday) properly lining up and maintaining distance and every fucker coming out of the English Garden uses those neat 2 meters gaps between people to walk through said line instead of making a 40 meter detour around it.

• Options
      Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
      Half my facebook feed now is friends who are all excited to have stuff open... posting pics of groups of themselves in restaurants/pubs, another group back to playing D&D in person tonight, etc.

/heavy sigh/

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
      ironzerg wrote: »
      Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    • Options
      PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
      Half my facebook feed now is friends who are all excited to have stuff open... posting pics of groups of themselves in restaurants/pubs, another group back to playing D&D in person tonight, etc.

/heavy sigh/

Well bright side we keep fucking up this response there will be plenty of other social gatherings to attend to later. Funerals.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • Options
      madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
      MegaMan001 wrote: »
      Had to go to Menards because our toilet fill valve (I think it's called?) started leaking.

Not going to Costco anymore until just before closing. They handled this well for the first month or so, queuing people outside, mandating masks, eliminating the stupid free sample stands that cause cart traffic jams, and even moving the entire checkstands around so they are in a zigzag pattern, allowing them all to be staffed without violating distance.

Except for the checkstands, all that has gone out the window now. The place was its usual super crowded madhouse the last time I went in the middle of the day, people acting like it's all over and we're back in the Before Time. Noped the fuck out and came back 15 min before closing and it was a ghost town.

• Options
      TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
      Preacher wrote: »

/heavy sigh/

Well bright side we keep fucking up this response there will be plenty of other social gatherings to attend to later. Funerals.

Funerals here are being live-streamed.

• Options
      HevachHevach Registered User regular
      edited May 2020
      MegaMan001 wrote: »

Menards pulled some utter bullshit early on. A few states made an example of the company. They actually learned their lesson or at least got scared straight(ish), unlike a few dozen other companies I could list.

Hevach on
    • Options
      ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
      edited May 2020
      I keep thinking "oh man things are open, I could wear a mask and appropriately social distance and go... ........ ... .......... shit I never went anywhere anyway."

I'd wander Target between picking the kids up because their schools' hours stagger weirdly, maybe sit at a starbucks for a bit there. On Friday after school (basically shabbos party) we'd go to the library for a few hours, to a local Thrifty for ice cream, or I'd let them pick out a treat at the convenience store nearby. The only one of those things I miss doing more often that we couldn't do before is the library, and we still can't do that. I miss getting pizza from my favorite local pizza place, but they're still expensive and we don't have an income, so even though we could do it during the harsher lock down we can't now because we have no money. I'd go to the grocery store to pick up something random I'd set my mind to for dinner, or some staple we were running out of like energy drinks for me or yogurt drinks for my daughter. Even though I could have since the start I don't really do even those things anymore because I'm never required to leave to do anything else.

Having finally given in to the idea I've discovered the beauty of having CVS bring me my pills, so I don't need to go out for them anymore, which is one fewer reason to leave the apartment than I had to begin with.

In short, the ability to go more places if I wanted to has made me realize that just about everything "extra" I did involved food somehow, and not much else has changed aside from the fact that my husband has no job and I am my kids' school now and none of them ever leave.

ceres on
      And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    • Options
      I'm tentatively excited, because there's an antique store my girlfriend and I have been wanting to visit, except the fucking deathflu hit a few weeks after we started dating, and everything's been closed.

Anyway, the store reopened, so we're going to grab a gallon of sanitizer and don our masks and hope that it's vacant enough to browse through safely.

(I tell you, starting to date someone right before the plague sends the world into quarantine is REAL FUCKIN WEIRD.)

• Options
      tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
      [

/heavy sigh/

Its why we have such a desperate need for, and should have been employing from the start despite any concerns of fairness, police enforcement, clear rules and stiff fines. I accept that they would have been levied overly on minority communities, but those same communities are the ones bearing the most of the death and will throughout the outbreak since poor people can't social distance or stay home long enough when they are sick (or have ANY chance of not infecting their relatives who live with them if they do get sick)

Everyone is just kinda doing a kinda meh job of compliance. We've put in 95% of the effort for 75% of the results, which is why the numbers were only falling so slowly before the end of lockdown. And with noone reinforcing the narrative that "unless you got tested and it was negative within the last 3 days, assume you have the virus right now" or, "at least 900k more Americans should be expected to die this year" noone really understands what is going on or why.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    • Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      I know we rag on the NYT for good reason sometimes, but that is an excellent piece of journalism

• Options
      ViskodViskod Registered User regular
      edited May 2020

We're fucking doomed.

Man you should have seen downtown Chattanooga this evening.

As I was driving home I almost ran a red light just looking around dumbfounded at the literal standing room only nature of all the sidewalks with every restaurant and bar absolutely packed with people and hardly any masks in sight.

I can’t think of a more appropriate definition of these kinds of idiots than the one you have provided.

Viskod on
    • Options
      Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
      Ended up spending several hours with family at my mother's ranch/farm, we tried to stay apart and wash our hands and use sanitizer appropriately, we didn't wear masks which bothered me, and sometimes people got a bit too close/forgot to keep a proper distance. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I enjoyed it, but I was anxious about it and was aware we should have been doing more.

We should have worn masks, probably shouldn't have had food. I'll have to remember to make sure we don't do things like that next time if I can, which isn't likely to be soon.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    • Options
      JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

We're fucking doomed.

@ElJeffe - Seafood City is a Filipino grocery down in your direction which has masks mandatory for entrance, fyi.

This discussion has been closed.