As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread 4.0

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    As some people have observed, this is how grocery and general stores used to operate, when they first started. Customers didn't handle/retrieve the merchandise themselves.

I've tried pickup from my local chain once so far. There were, imho, some odd choices made re: availability and substitution. For example, for produce, you order by quantity, but price is often by weight, and apparently the policy is to not pick an item if the price is higher than what it was when you ordered. So I ordered two turnips, and received zero turnips, not because turnips weren't available - they were - but because turnips are only sold in pairs, and apparently none of the pairs were at or below the average weight of two turnips; so I would have technically been charged more than the estimate I was given. That happened with multiple produce items.

Ordered potatoes; they didn't have the exact brand and SKU I put in my cart, so I got no potatoes. Ordered coconut milk; they didn't have the full-fat coconut milk in the brand I wanted, so I received low-fat coconut milk in the same brand instead of full-fat from a different brand. Which to me is bonkers, because full-fat and low-fat coconut milk are not the same thing. I see it as equivalent to receiving apple juice instead of orange juice.

Online ordering lets you specify whether they're allowed to substitute an item, but it's just a yes/no binary. You can't specify, for example, that you want a specific brand (or that brand doesn't matter) or a general category of produce (i.e., potatoes). And the produce weight/price thing is just weird. Pickup is cool in theory, but kind of useless if I still have to go into the store myself to get 1/3 of the stuff on my list (the next day, because I didn't realize the extent of it until I got home and unpacked).

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    People don’t follow the arrows in parking lots, so of course they don’t do it in stores.

That said, if and only I’d an aisle is empty and what I want is in the middle or closer, I’ll pop down the wrong way and grab it. But then I exit the way I came. But still, I’m part of the problem. I’ve been trying to do this less.

Same. I already know I'm more or less not going to follow route signs in a grocery store because my shopping trips are already a battle of ADHD vs. the confusing and contradictory layouts of grocery stores. I would need to have a full shopping list, route plan, and map in order to actually follow a designated route path, and I'd still forget something anyway, and "just run down this aisle to get it real quick." I think stores would be better off limiting customers in the store at one time and educating the importance of staying apart from other people while in the store.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I think stores would be better off limiting customers in the store at one time and educating the importance of staying apart from other people while in the store.
    They don't ?!!

Every grocery stores I heard of around Montréal limit the number of people in the store, encourage distancing and has arrows on the floor.
    Some of them even started doing it before it was mandatory.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Some do it, and do it well

Some do it but vastly overestimate their capacity and let too many people in at once

Some do it and correctly assess their capacity, but don't monitor the line outside so while everyone inside the store is fine, everyone outside is close together and not wearing their masks.

Without any guidance or oversight whatsoever, everyone is coming up with their own rules, many of which are bad.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I think stores would be better off limiting customers in the store at one time and educating the importance of staying apart from other people while in the store.
    They don't ?!!

Every grocery stores I heard of around Montréal limit the number of people in the store, encourage distancing and has arrows on the floor.
    Some of them even started doing it before it was mandatory.

The King Soopers I go to in a Denver suburb doesn't do anything except they have people wiping down carts at the two entrances. Thankfully nearly everyone in the place yesterday was wearing masks. The mexican grocery store across the street from me has big "masks required" signs at the front, but I think that's it as well.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I make a grocery list. I assemble the list in order corresponding to the aisles of the store (let's face it - if you've shopped the same store any length of time, you know where stuff is). I go in, go up/down each aisle sequentially in accordance with the arrows, get what I need in each aisle, and when I get to the end, I have everything and I go check out. This doesn't seem complicated to me.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    My neurotic need to follow the arrows and do the right thing makes grocery shopping take way longer than it used to. Which wouldn’t bother me nearly as much if it weren’t for all of the people who gave zero fucks and just walked whichever way they wanted.

But also, I’ve seen several employees go the wrong way periodically as well. Which like, come on man. Set a better example.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Honestly I just get in go down the back end of the store and then serpentine the way back through all the aisles til I get back to the beginning and then i'm done I get in the checkout line. It's way more effective than my fucked up ADHD meandering from the beforetimes

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My grocery store has clearly marked signs for which aisles to use, sanitizes carts at the door, and requires all employees to wear masks.

But masks are optional for customers and many don't follow the aisle signs.

My local Dollar General has no signs and no masks, but there's a sneeze guard at the register, so...

oqkbk6dr2c001.jpg

RT800 on
  • Options
    I make a grocery list. I assemble the list in order corresponding to the aisles of the store (let's face it - if you've shopped the same store any length of time, you know where stuff is). I go in, go up/down each aisle sequentially in accordance with the arrows, get what I need in each aisle, and when I get to the end, I have everything and I go check out. This doesn't seem complicated to me.

I mean that's great for you, but grocery store shopping is always hard on me and trying even at the best of times.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Shopping mostly takes longer for me because of the fact that I have to shop for like three times the amount of food I used to since I'm trying to stretch it out to a month or so.

It helps to have a list that's ordered by what section of the store you should be in, starting with your entrance. It's the sort of thing I always mean to do but is now especially a good idea because of how large the list is and how infrequently I go shopping.

I still really dislike grocery shopping, because I've never really liked it and I always forget something that I decided didn't need to go on the list because it was so obvious and now that means being like aw dang well I can get that next month.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm genuinely curious - what does flow control in terms of the aisles do in regards to distancing and contamination protection? I mean, I observe the arrows as best I can wherever I go, and feel kind of angry when I see someone not doing so... but I've ducked at the end of an empty aisle to grab something quicker before. And I'm just wondering... is the flow thing something for when a lot of people are there? Like to allow folks to pass safely?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious - what does flow control in terms of the aisles do in regards to distancing and contamination protection? I mean, I observe the arrows as best I can wherever I go, and feel kind of angry when I see someone not doing so... but I've ducked at the end of an empty aisle to grab something quicker before. And I'm just wondering... is the flow thing something for when a lot of people are there? Like to allow folks to pass safely?

Specifically flow to cut down on two people going down opposite directions on narrow aisles.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    This is your Sunday Morning grocery report from my local Trader Joe's.

I was worried it'd be a mess because of Memorial day. As soon as I rolled up, mask on, I was surprised to find... no line? They weren't even at capacity this morning, and as I walked up the staff welcomed me in, gave me a pump of hand sanitizer, and handed me a freshly disinfected cart.

There were people inside, but they were taking their time and staying a reasonable distance apart. Well, as much as you can in a grocery store. My local TJ's doesn't restrict direction up and down the aisles, but people were keeping to an informal policy of direction anyway. A couple of folks got a little close, but no one invaded my personal space and stayed there.

And best of all: Every person in the store was wearing a mask. It was the smoothest grocery experience of the pandemic for me so far.

Folks, if you have a Trader Joe's local to you, they are doing things right in my experience.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Specifically flow to cut down on two people going down opposite directions on narrow aisles.

And thus being forced closer than six feet.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    My local micro-destillery have started making hand sanitizer. They use what spices they had at hand and their product smells wonderful of high quality Gin infusions.

I was very happy to see/smell this.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    My local micro-destillery have started making hand sanitizer. They use what spices they had at hand and their product smells wonderful of high quality Gin infusions.

Damn, that sounds nice. The stuff work bought smells like tequila and brings back lots of very queasy memories.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This is your Sunday Morning grocery report from my local Trader Joe's.

I was worried it'd be a mess because of Memorial day. As soon as I rolled up, mask on, I was surprised to find... no line? They weren't even at capacity this morning, and as I walked up the staff welcomed me in, gave me a pump of hand sanitizer, and handed me a freshly disinfected cart.

There were people inside, but they were taking their time and staying a reasonable distance apart. Well, as much as you can in a grocery store. My local TJ's doesn't restrict direction up and down the aisles, but people were keeping to an informal policy of direction anyway. A couple of folks got a little close, but no one invaded my personal space and stayed there.

And best of all: Every person in the store was wearing a mask. It was the smoothest grocery experience of the pandemic for me so far.

Folks, if you have a Trader Joe's local to you, they are doing things right in my experience.

My local Trader Joe's is a very similar experience, except there's usually a 5-10 minute line outside.

But yeah once you get inside the store it's a relaxing shopping experience, which is more than I can say about most local grocers.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »

Damn, that sounds nice. The stuff work bought smells like tequila and brings back lots of very queasy memories.

The stuff I mixed together myself in the basement struck an ideal non-perfect balance of ethanol, propanol and glycerol and smells of really cheap grappa.

I unfortunately made 2 liters of it....

Movitz on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

That's actually partly what makes following the arrows more difficult for me. I know what I'm shopping for and I know exactly where it is and muscle memory just pulls me to that unless I consciously remember to pay attention. Fortunately, since I switched to shopping an hour or two before close the store is mostly empty now rather than a madhouse like it was back in March.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I go grocery at Wal-Mart, which you think would be an amazing shit show, but it has honestly been stress free.

Maybe it's because I go on Saturday morning as close to opening as possible, but there's usually not many people (and there's someone keeping track), everyone is wearing masks and even though the arrows in the aisle are ignored by some people, it's not crowded enough where I feel it's an issue.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/may/22/spokane-confirms-31-covid-19-cases-in-two-days-wit/?amp-content=amp

So 24 of the 72 employees at a pasta factory just came down with covid in Washington.

The thing is, the factory was already taking basic precautions of having everyone wear masks and daily screenings. So it makes you wonder what else they should be doing?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Distance and ventilation.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Kinda hard to maintain distance in a non-automated factory. The whole point of a factory is for lots of people to work together to produce goods faster than they could on their own.

• Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/may/22/spokane-confirms-31-covid-19-cases-in-two-days-wit/?amp-content=amp

So 24 of the 72 employees at a pasta factory just came down with covid in Washington.

The thing is, the factory was already taking basic precautions of having everyone wear masks and daily screenings. So it makes you wonder what else they should be doing?

I don't trust an american business enough especially one in spokane that they did any of that shit. Like if Covid has shown me anything, its that businesses are all about doing the bare min and hoping no one notices and if someone notices then they are all "BUT WE DID ALL THESE THINGS!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

I don't trust an american business enough especially one in spokane that they did any of that shit. Like if Covid has shown me anything, its that businesses are all about doing the bare min and hoping no one notices and if someone notices then they are all "BUT WE DID ALL THESE THINGS!"

There also can be a huge gap between written and enforced policy.

VishNub on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Even perfectly implemented policy can't necessarily reduce infection rate to zero in a crowded workplace. Covid-19 is very easy to transmit. You can get it by sitting downwind of someone in a restaurant for half an hour.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    NZ food shopping:
    • went first thing (well 9am) yesterday morning. they had the tent coverings up to cover the line, complete with line markings on the ground. Luckily, no line!
    • Security guy at the front of the tents was squirting sanitiser in our hands and we were off.
    • Limited number of people in store and a time limit of 30 minutes.
    • Produce department had significantly reduced their on floor displays from BC (before Covid) so there was plenty of room to walk around. this is always the big choke point in the store with lots of people being in the way of lots of other people.
    • Seafood counter has high thick plastic barriers up, no longer can you lean over the display of whole fish and grab the one at the back for yourself.
    • The dairy and meat aisle is just like normal, you travel down the middle and then pull to the side that you need, leaving room between.
    • Deli also had plastic up to protect the team working in the back, and there are no hot chickens or hot meals available at all.
    • Once you reach the Milk wall, most people will drift at their own pace, but there is a fairly standard serpentine pattern to the aisles that are marked with arrows. this pattern was the proper way to shop even BC. Down the soda/cereal/bread aisle, up the oatmeal/mylk/coffee/jams aisl, etc.
    • Once you are ready to check out, nearly every register is open.
    • Where there used to be just a metal partition between the 2 checkout lanes there is now an 8ft tall plastic wall being held up by 2x4s. there are markings on the ground for both waiting in line and also where to stand to load your groceries onto the belt. The line is at the end of the belt which makes it muchharder to get the belt organized like I like doing, but oh well.
    • Once the belt is done and you are finished loading, there is a yellow box that you can stand in while the cashier finishes ringing you up.
    • They also have a plastic barrier between yourself and the cashier, with the POS machine on the customer side.
    • The store is not accepting cash at all. Paywave is highly recommended, but any card is required.
    • you get your receipt and you exit through the exit door.

It was a pretty standard shopping experience at that store, other than the very obvious plastic barriers, the line and security out front, and the check out. We are not required to wear masks down here, and there's been some discussion about whether we should due to our circumstances.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

Which is why I put it on the business. They are saying one thing but anyone who's ever worked a lower income job sure as fuck knows what management says is not what management does.

What's annoying is spokane county recently got into phase 2 based on lower numbers, and so more people will be exposed because we are opening too fucking fast.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Which is why I put it on the business. They are saying one thing but anyone who's ever worked a lower income job sure as fuck knows what management says is not what management does.

What's annoying is spokane county recently got into phase 2 based on lower numbers, and so more people will be exposed because we are opening too fucking fast.

The businesses should be following a coherent federal action plan which details how to do risk minimization in a fair way, in addition, they should have deployed sentinel testing and randomly tested 1-2% of the workforce every day. Floor management should also have been incredibly forceful in enforcing mask policy. I imagine they had one, but there was like 50% compliance with noses hanging out everywhere.

Remember its unlikely that the 24 people just caught it on one day. So sentinel testing would have limited the outbreak.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Even perfectly implemented policy can't necessarily reduce infection rate to zero in a crowded workplace. Covid-19 is very easy to transmit. You can get it by sitting downwind of someone in a restaurant for half an hour.

Also remember that all you need is the infected person to be the local "its all a hoax" guy and for him to be pulling down his mask whenever the supervisor looks away for larks.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My local supermarket is very large in terms of floor space for the number of people who use it, which has been pretty good. Aisles are very wide, everything well spaced out. Only bottlenecks are the checkouts and entering/leaving the store but everyone has been really good about giving each other space around there. There's a capacity limit but they never hit it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    Is a million dead back on the table?

All this weekend roads along the beach were stop and go due to traffic spilling out of the resorts with everyone checking in. Crowds of people wondering up and down the streets. Felt as busy as we ever get, and not even cops had masks on.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Mosati wrote: »

All this weekend roads along the beach were stop and go due to traffic spilling out of the resorts with everyone checking in. Crowds of people wondering up and down the streets. Felt as busy as we ever get, and not even cops had masks on.

We got to 100,000 with 1-5 percent (maybe 10) of the population infected and social distancing. A million dead is the optimistic projection.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Well current estimates are that places that have been hard hit have roughly 5% exposure among the population and 100,000 people have died so...

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I saw a picture of people at a lake and damn near lost my mind. We are going to see a huge spike in cases this weekend

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The businesses should be following a coherent federal action plan which details how to do risk minimization in a fair way, in addition, they should have deployed sentinel testing and randomly tested 1-2% of the workforce every day. Floor management should also have been incredibly forceful in enforcing mask policy. I imagine they had one, but there was like 50% compliance with noses hanging out everywhere.

Remember its unlikely that the 24 people just caught it on one day. So sentinel testing would have limited the outbreak.

Group testing is better than randomly testing individuals. You pool all their samples together, and if even one of them is sick, you get a positive result.

The hard part is that these tests are unpleasant, which means that it's easy to do them improperly and not jam the swab in deep enough if you don't have a professional who's there every day.

Has that part been solved yet? I think I read somewhere that they found that the virus is located in the throat rather than the nasal passages, but I don't know if anything happened with that information.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Honestly? It was never off the table even if we got maximum response in place everywhere. The US death rate is not the worst in the world, but it's worse than the cumulative global count - closing on 100k deaths out of 1.7 million cases, but more importantly it's 97k dead to 338k recovered. At the rate we're going, as little as 5% of the country infected could be enough to get us to a million dead, and 10% will almost certainly lock it in. All while the nation-minus-New-York graph is still accelerating upwards, New York City's costly win is skewing the graph while we're losing so badly in so many other places.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

What state?

Over half of our 100k lost are from the northeast, with NY/NJ accounting for over 40k, the vast majority of them in the NYC metro area.

And in South Jersey and upstate NY there's plenty of idiots already devolving to their typical summer behavior as the weather warms up.

If I had to guess by late July or early August we're looking at a new national and potentially regional peak that sails right past our old one, as far as active cases are concerned.

Nationally almost everyone has felt the pain of being lockdown but haven't felt any personal pain at all when it comes to losing loved ones due to the disease. Humans are bad at preventive action as a collective and leadership is awful on a normal day so it's hard to see this as the end of bad times.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I realized one small upside to the whole hair out of control/mask combo.

With 70% of my face covered , my face looks approximately 70% better :biggrin:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.