As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I just stuck over £100 on hims stying and then the fucking story fucking breaks that he went and fucking broke lockdown a second fucking time.

FUCK YOU YOU INCOMPETENT FUCKING BASTARDS.

No way do you offer a defence so abjectly grovelling before checking there is nothing else to come out.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    The best part is they now must be thinking what else is waiting to be revealed

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I just stuck over £100 on hims stying and then the fucking story fucking breaks that he went and fucking broke lockdown a second fucking time.

No way do you offer a defence so abjectly grovelling before checking there is nothing else to come out.

I think you're still grand.

unless you're pissed you didn't wait until now to get better odds?

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    jaziek wrote: »

The second visits kills the defence.

The defence was that Dominic Cummings, Super Dad was so concerned for his 3 year old he did what he had to do like the Alpha male he is.

Now it's that Dominic Cummings broke lockdown to go sight seeing. He's fucked He's super, super fucked. My money is up in smoke.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    History has shown,

when you do something indefensible, just ignore it. It'll go away. He's fine.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I haven't seen one tory MP try to put out a response to this (yet)

There must be a bunch of WhatsApp groups out there going a mile a minute right now.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    History has shown,

Nobody will sack him and he is so utterly shameless he will never resign and he is not beholden to anyone other than himself.

fuck gendered marketing
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

There must be a bunch of WhatsApp groups out there going a mile a minute right now.

It's also a Saturday night. They can at least wait until morning to coordinate a response.

I also can't see Cummings leaving because of this. I think it will damage the government's credibility substantially, but who gives a shit about that?

Regardless of what happens, this is fucking hilarious.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm sure Cummings is petrified of the impending Twitter storm for a few days before he faces absolutely no consequences at all.

It's not Cummings that should care here. The entire Cabinet has just been made to look like spineless cowards; more interested in self-preservation than keeping Britain safe.
    They're all going to walk away from this without a scratch; you need a sense of shame to be shamed into quitting, and all the MPs with a sense of shame have already quit. It's like natural selection for assholes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    History has shown,

Aye. The sad thing about a lot of recent politics all over the place is that it's becoming increasingly clear that the right play is always: don't resign, have no shame, ignore the scandal and it'll probably all blow over. It seems like there's very few instances where scandals will actually take you down if you don't acquiesce to being taken down.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

The second visits kills the defence.

The defence was that Dominic Cummings, Super Dad was so concerned for his 3 year old he did what he had to do like the Alpha male he is.

Now it's that Dominic Cummings broke lockdown to go sight seeing. He's fucked He's super, super fucked. My money is up in smoke.

He's the architect of Brexit and chief SPAD of the Brexit government.

He could shoot someone in the street and still be fine.

Spend the new found wealth on tasty food.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Downing street defence to the latest allegations Cummings broke lockdown twice.

"No he didn't."

And there you have it. Cummings gets slagged off on twitter for a few days by people who already thought he was a bellend anyway and we all move on with our lives.

I'm not really one to indulge in pointless cynicism in politics because there's really no point to it but the reality here is it's incredibly difficult to prise off a barnacle like Cummings because he has an incredibly nebulous non-position in the first place. He isn't a minister. He's just some fucking guy with the ear of the current PM.

There are definitely going to be Tory MPs out there who will be thoroughly fucked off with the prospective of having to defend this constantly for the next few days. They will likely be pushing back on any narratives from on high that makes them do something they would really rather not.

The Cabinet may have sold their soul but I would be very surprised if the party itself maintained a united front for more than the next 24 hours.

They didn't actually deny it. That statement is precision carefully worded to not deny he went back to Durham a second time. They just said it was innacurate , not that it was false.

The Cummings play here is to turn it into a culture war Leaver vs Remainers thing because that's the only play he knows. But it is so not going to work, the dynamics are allllllll wrong.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    They didn't actually deny it. That statement is precision carefully worded to not deny he went back to Durham a second time. They just said it was innacurate , not that it was false.

The Cummings play here is to turn it into a culture war Leaver vs Remainers thing because that's the only play he knows. But it is so not going to work, the dynamics are allllllll wrong.

The culture war over Leave or Remain Indoors seems like a very different one.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Yep. The phrasing is suspect. Heck, it could be something as simple as the motive being even more stupid or morally bankrupt.

Example, "Cummings did NOT go to Durham to sitesee. That's a complete work of fiction, and those reporters are clearly not to be trusted. He was in fact in Durham to bang his mistress. So don't be believing that rag of a newspaper."

MorganV on
    moniker wrote: »

The culture war over Leave or Remain Indoors seems like a very different one.

Exactly. Cummings has the aura of a genius to Conservstives due to guiding a campaign that had the support of the majority of the British media for the last 25 years and then followed it up by winning an election against Jeremy Corbyn, once again having the support of the majority of the media.

This is not that. It is an astonishing move by BoCumJo.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Just saw tomorrow's Daily Mail front page on Twitter. At this point I can't tell if it is real or not.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Somehow this is the first time I've seen what Dominic Cummings looks like

It's not what I expected, but I guess we're none of us at our best during Lockdown, even if we're ignoring it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    He's the Brexit Person and while Arron Banks doesn't like him personally, Cummings is too entwined with the whole project

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Countdown to a third trip to have an eyes wide shut orgy?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Just saw tomorrow's Daily Mail front page on Twitter. At this point I can't tell if it is real or not.

That is a suspiciously specific denial

fuck gendered marketing
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    When they came out with the “it’s ok to do it to look after your family” angle yesterday, I assumed it was going to be a subtle way to point out a distinction between Cummings’ family and (what could be perceived as) Neil Ferguson’s less traditional relationship situation.

I did not expect it to become a direct attack line on day 2.

moniker wrote: »
    Countdown to a third trip to have an eyes wide shut orgy?

Third trip on 10th of May. No orgy.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Has no paper made a pun out of his Cummings and Goings? I'm very disappointed.

edit: was the thread title that before I posted this? I don't know if I inspired that or I'm just super unobservant (or both).

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It was, yes. By about half a day, I think?

Commander Zoom on
    I wonder how long Cummings has to last for Alistair to win his bet?

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Guardian are reporting that there are five (edit: now seven) Tory MPs (outside the cabinet, naturally) who have explicitly stated that Cummings needs to go.

Trickle before the flood?

Also, this made me snort coffee down my nose (Dmitry Grozoubinski is a former Australian trade negotiator and trade expert, who gave evidence to select committees on the impact of Brexit):

japan on
    Maybe he's going to make a bridge out of Dominic Cummings?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Maybe he's going to make a bridge out of Dominic Cummings?

"Build a bridge out of him" seems apt for this Python-esque government.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Boris is bizarrely attached to Cummings

He's not particularly ruthless about him I think

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    He not only advises Boris on Brexit, he's also the resident Russian plant, what would you do without him

June 1st.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    interestingly it turns out the gov was briefed at Sage meeting on March 3rd that their measures would result in 250,000 deaths, while they were presented figures for a full lockdown approach reducing deaths to 30,000 at another sage meeting on the 11th.

so they were indeed exactly as slow and incompetent as assumed; others advising the gov at the time note how omnipresent the “we all have to get it” logic was in those discussions, again underlining how this was an explicit part of their plan.

contact tracing was estimated to catch about 0.5% of cases before being abandoned, so was not only not done quickly enough but also incompetently

absolute failure

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    to pile Pelion on ossa Johnson was convinced in a cobra meeting that lockdown was necessary then dithered a further 9 days due to fears about the economy

from a times article:
    Professor Peter Openshaw, a member of the government’s Nervtag (new and emerging respiratory virus threats advisory group) committee said: “Many of us on the scientific advisory committees were quite keen that action should be taken a couple of weeks before action actually was taken.”

obF2Wuw.png

June 1st.

I'd bet you're going to win.

I think Boris has made a very significant mistake today. He may not be punished for it immediately but this conference just has the feeling of a moment that will stick with people.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I think Boris has made a very significant mistake today. He may not be punished for it immediately but this conference just has the feeling of a moment that will stick with people.
    His base won't care, and it's impossible for everyone else's opinion of Boris to sink lower.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.