As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I think Boris has made a very significant mistake today. He may not be punished for it immediately but this conference just has the feeling of a moment that will stick with people.
    His base won't care, and it's impossible for everyone else's opinion of Boris to sink lower.

I really don't think is true, on both counts. This is egregious enough - and an emotional enough issue for many people - that it seems to be impacting his support even amongst Tories.

It's going to be very, very difficult to shake the memory of the Tory government that led Britain to the top of Europe's death charts during a pandemic and defended their senior advisor who repeatedly broke the lockdown rules they tried to impose on everyone else.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I think Boris has made a very significant mistake today. He may not be punished for it immediately but this conference just has the feeling of a moment that will stick with people.
    His base won't care, and it's impossible for everyone else's opinion of Boris to sink lower.

Another common factor between our blond idiots.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Just saw tomorrow's Daily Mail front page on Twitter. At this point I can't tell if it is real or not.

That is a suspiciously specific denial

What other kind of visit is Johnson capable of imagining?
    "If you aren't leaving the house to work or cheat on your partner, what could you possibly be up to?"

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Perhaps I'm still clinging on to norms naively, but this isn't a typical party divide here, so normal rules don't apply.

Boris has just told everyone that the sacrifices that we have had to make over the last two months, weren't necessary.

He's brazenly treated the country like a bunch of mugs and then bragged about it afterwards.

This isn't your typical political gaffe. This shit actually matters and I don't think it will die down quickly.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    Boris is bizarrely attached to Cummings

He's not particularly ruthless about him I think

Strong vibes summed up by (checks bio) a writer and comedian I don't know:

tynic on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Jay Rayner is a food critic and the first person I came across with the screenshot:

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Perhaps I'm still clinging on to norms naively, but this isn't a typical party divide here, so normal rules don't apply.

Boris has just told everyone that the sacrifices that we have had to make over the last two months, weren't necessary.

He's brazenly treated the country like a bunch of mugs and then bragged about it afterwards.

This isn't your typical political gaffe. This shit actually matters and I don't think it will die down quickly.
    The read I'm getting from the online Con side is this (and it's been built up over the past couple of weeks of paper news reporting).

"The lockdown was the unnecessary, overblown and panicky action of the scientific council that the government felt it had to listen to. But the models were wrong and the science was poorly thought out and didn't apply to sensible folk like me. Cummings did exactly what we would've done if we had a small child and were diagnosed with CoViD. Moreover, I was right that they can't keep us under lockdown forever, and this supports me pushing the limits of lockdown now."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    At the moment 14 of the top 15 trends on UK twitter are about the Cummings situation and Bojo not firing him. None are positive

Yeah this might not die down for a while..

A while being about a week, then they'll be some fresh scandal for everyone to rage over.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Jay Rayner is a food critic and the first person I came across with the screenshot:

Someone screwed up work and personal twitter!

• Options
    It was up for long enough that I don't think so. Seems a deliberate act of protest.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was somebody resigning in style.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    At the moment 14 of the top 15 trends on UK twitter are about the Cummings situation and Bojo not firing him. None are positive

And yet, as people were pointing out yesterday, his name isn't trending on its own

Is it too conspiracy theoryish to wonder why not?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular

A while being about a week, then they'll be some fresh scandal for everyone to rage over.

Whips frantically phoning round to see if somebody could go commit murder or something to take attention off cummings.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Johnson has made a career out of avoid responsibility, so I shouldn't be surprised if he can get away with this, but this is exactly the sort of weird scandal that press and voters latch onto and if they don't get rid of Cummings, I really think it'll form part of a well-earned reputation for scandal and sleaze which was a key part of the Conservative defeat in 1997.

eEK! on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Tories playing into their reputation for being an arrogant bunch of cunts who think they’re above the law when everyone else has been making horrendous sacrifices is a bed-shittingly bad look and just plain stupid. Possibly Johnson thinks he’s genuinely lost without Cummings.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    eEK! wrote: »
    Johnson has made a career out of avoid responsibility, so I shouldn't be surprised if he can get away with this, but this is exactly the sort of weird scandal that press and voters latch onto and if they don't get rid of Cummings, I really think it'll form part of a well-earned reputation for scandal and sleaze which was a key part of the Conservative defeat in 1997.

Are you suggesting that Johnson not washing his hands after Cummings everywhere scandal could lead to a sticky situation?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    (scientist involved in advising gov)

just following the science as ever, it seems

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Johnson's Cummings must have some dirt on him because Johnson has spent the last 3 months avoiding or abdicating responsibility and tying the albatross around the necks of others such that I struggle to really relate Johnson and COVID together. He's insulated himself from criticism via surrogates, adults and his latest progeny, and yet has chosen to throw himself on this grenade.

• Options
    Piers Morgan gets a couple of hours every day to talk to millions of people on the telly. He’s an absolute wanker but boy howdy he’s unhappy and will no doubt be saying so regularly.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I suspect that Johnson is all in on Cummings "reform" the civil service plan, as it doesn't require leadership from the prime minister.

One of Johnson's big problems is that for brexit to be anything other than an massive failure the government will need to be incredibly coordinated, one way to achieve that is to have a competent and committed prime minster to pull everyone together, as Johnson knows he isn't/doesn't want to be this person, he needs an alternative plan, which is where Cummings civil service "reform" comes in.

Another consideration is that Cummings was originally Gove's adviser and Gove appears to be a much more effective party politician than Johnson (much less convincing human though).

eEK! on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Well a retired teacher has reported Cummings to the police it seems.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Cummings be driving to Durham like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYf595EJAc4

• Options
    God, how I wish there was a part three to the story which shows Dominic Cummings sat on a sight-seeing tour bus of Durham.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So this is apparently the second recent address that Johnson has given which was completely awful? Any hilights?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Guardian are reporting that there are five (edit: now seven) Tory MPs (outside the cabinet, naturally) who have explicitly stated that Cummings needs to go.

Trickle before the flood?

Also, this made me snort coffee down my nose (Dmitry Grozoubinski is a former Australian trade negotiator and trade expert, who gave evidence to select committees on the impact of Brexit):

The Irish Sea is the traditional dumping ground for the UK's toxic waste.
    Though we'd wish you'd stop...

sig.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »

Whips frantically phoning round to see if somebody could go commit murder or something to take attention off cummings.

Cummings might've killed people by traveling considering he had Covid symptoms

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    altid wrote: »

Cummings might've killed people by traveling considering he had Covid symptoms

At this point it is questionable if Cummings even had the virus.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Seen posted on Reddit: "Motion to name the next wave of virus cases the Second Cumming"

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Just popping in to survey whether or not Boris Johnson's brush with death had any effect on his being an absolute twat and it seems like the answer is a small, pathetic no

Good to know even the prospect of meeting your maker isn't enough for some people

EDIT: I won't pretend to understand the deep lore of UK politics but this take seems about as right to me as any

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Boris didn't sack Dominic because Dominic wouldn't let him.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Tories playing into their reputation for being an arrogant bunch of cunts who think they’re above the law when everyone else has been making horrendous sacrifices is a bed-shittingly bad look and just plain stupid. Possibly Johnson thinks he’s genuinely lost without Cummings.

You appear to have awesomed your own post here. None of us can do that. Are you above the rules now? :P

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

This video of Cummings getting heckled on his street been making the rounds on my usual haunts. Kind of stunning to me as an American to see a protected above-the-law elite just openly getting yelled at on the street but, you love to see it

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    It's been a year since May announced her standing down as prime minister.

I bet she's feeling pretty smug right now.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

You can't possibly expect Johnson to sack his boss, really

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Oh wow, that is scathing from the... Daily Mail!?

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    This video of Cummings getting heckled on his street been making the rounds on my usual haunts. Kind of stunning to me as an American to see a protected above-the-law elite just openly getting yelled at on the street but, you love to see it

One of the only good things around Brexit was seeing Johnson surrounded and herded by groups of pissed-off cyclists so they could yell at him as he biked to work.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Either Johnson is quite possibly somehow stupider than I thought (in thinking everyone would forgive and forget this horror by the use of the word 'Integrity'), or he's owned by Cummings in some way. Or both. I can't otherwise explain the brazenness of this shit. Like, surely he knows that some things are indefensible, even for them?

• Options
    Just gonna post that MoS headline because yowser.

Also whoops I didn’t mean to awesome my own post but I’m confident I acted legally, morally and with the instinct of a protective father.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I love how much of a rod this government has made for its own back with this

Edit: in fact I hope that the plan of the person that posted this is specifically to try to beat neck their way through the inevitable disciplinary interview on this basis

japan on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Either Johnson is quite possibly somehow stupider than I thought (in thinking everyone would forgive and forget this horror by the use of the word 'Integrity'), or he's owned by Cummings in some way. Or both. I can't otherwise explain the brazenness of this shit. Like, surely he knows that some things are indefensible, even for them?
    How do they get held to account?

With a general election in... let's check the FTPA... 5 years time?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.