As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    con mps not sounding thrilled - papers tomorrow might be a problem

The papers are going to be worse than today

If he'd just reiterated the statements already made people might have started to get bored with the story

But instead he's added a bunch of new and increasingly bizarre detail

It reminds me of a five year old explaining how a dinosaur came and ate all the biscuits

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Oh wow, that is scathing from the... Daily Mail!?

Does anyone know what the diet pullout it's talking about is? I mean, I know there's still a lot of medical unknowns, but it feels like if eating a bunch of oranges cured coronavirus (or whatever) then we'd have heard about it by now?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Does anyone know what the diet pullout it's talking about is? I mean, I know there's still a lot of medical unknowns, but it feels like if eating a bunch of oranges cured coronavirus (or whatever) then we'd have heard about it by now?

https://youtu.be/5eBT6OSr1TI

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I feel like we've just arrived in Oz and found out the wizard is actually just a prick named Dominic.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the chief SPAD to the prime minister couldn't ask the government for help with child care.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Also non-essential retail is now scheduled to open up on the 15th of June.
    Which is nice as my non essential retail job was planning to open up on the 1st of june. So thats 2 more weeks of lockdown

Can't help but think this has been announced so as to distract from Dominic being a twatwaffle

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Worst attempt at burying bad news ever.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Also, still no mention on when you can see family members. At this point, I'm sure most have just decided '**** it' and started seeing family anyway. You know... using our instincts and common sense.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Also, still no mention on when you can see family members. At this point, I'm sure most have just decided '**** it' and started seeing family anyway. You know... using our instincts and common sense.

Just arrange to meet them in a non-essential retail store

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

Assuming you were serious.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-8353307/Check-delicious-recipes-Hairy-Bikers-save-life.html

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Mc zany wrote: »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-8353307/Check-delicious-recipes-Hairy-Bikers-save-life.html

A quick look suggests that the obese and those with diabetes have worse mortality outcomes than those who aren't those things.
    How much worse is of course not mentioned.
    The diet is the usual veg-and-healthy-things, which will in theory mean you lose weight/aren't obese/don't have a higher risk of deadness.

Standard Mail.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

oh, I didn't realise it was online, thanks. (also, I'd forgotten how awful the Mail website is, ugh)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Also, let's take a closer look at that url for a minute; specifically "femail".

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    It's their news for ladies section

Basically The Reductress without the self-awareness

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    con mps not sounding thrilled - papers tomorrow might be a problem

The papers are going to be worse than today

If he'd just reiterated the statements already made people might have started to get bored with the story

But instead he's added a bunch of new and increasingly bizarre detail

Whelp

(Dr Jennifer Jones is a Scottish journalist)

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I note that #CumSack is trending on Twitter.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    How can he survive? Well, I guess he can just keep showing up to work?

The mail will probably end up shocked that just putting something on their front page does not have reality warping powers to make it happen.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    I'd say that was probably better judged than it appears, as it allows vulnerable Cons to deflect responsibility back to Cummings and I'd imagine he'll survive for now.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Metro cover is probably the best one of today's selection.

Angela Rayner is deputy leader of the Labour party, but I was just looking for the first post of it I could find from a non-rando, really.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    And thus, the Daily Mail became part of the 'left wing media'.
    Bwhahahahaha oh god what the fuck is wrong with reality.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    He also made reference to having written about the dangers of coronaviruses 'last year'. Turns out his predictive skill is 'editing old articles to make it look like you said it last year'.

The full thread is worth a read, and shows no other reference to coronavirus can be found on his blog.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Douglas Ross has resigned from the cabinet over Cummings

Edit: is it a cabinet post? He's resigning as under secretary of state for Scotland, which is a ministerial post, but I'm unclear on whether that formally makes him a cabinet minister

japan on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    LBC is a radio station:

And here's me paying for an optician like a complete wanker.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fucking laughable

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gove is who they send out when they want someone to lie and then go even further and claim anyone who doesn't believe he lie is in fact mad.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Astounding that Cummings tripe to Barnard Castle consists solely of actions observed by confirmed witnesses and nothing else.

Uncanny.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    So when are the next PMQs? I would love it if every interview with a government minister from now on included asking if people should test their eyesight by going for a drive. Just let them run this into the fucking ground.

• Options
    Related to the topic at hand, this, via Rafael Behr at The Guardian, offers some insight into Cummings's genius brain

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Related to the topic at hand, this, via Rafael Behr at The Guardian, offers some insight into Cummings's genius brain

This Tweet isn't joking. That last email is a doozy, but the whole chain is worth reading, just to see the selective ignoring on Cumming's part.

• Options
    The latest defence from I don't know who because I just overheard it on the radio:
    "Well, he- I mean he isn't an elected official, so why should he be held to a higher standard?"
    I tried to write this bit not in all-caps but couldn't so you've been warned:
    HE'S NOT BEING HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD, HE'S BEING HELD TO THE STANDARD WE'RE HOLDING THE REST OF THE UNELECTED PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY TO.
    (I did go back through and remove the swearing)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    underrated disaster coming soon; uk needs 50k new customs officers (industry estimate but gov seems to agree) to handle 200million new forms pa

we have trained at most 5k of those. nobody knows what is going on or if gov has any ideas to make up the gap (spoiler they are ignoring it)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    New proposal from the Department of Rhesus Thinking up Dumb Stuff: Job Retention Scheme payments dependent on training furloughed staff to be customs officers

• Options
    Oh good, we're getting international attention on this shit:

Donald Tusk is former President of the European Council

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Fuck 'em up, Marina:
    Perhaps on Sunday you watched the entire nation being lectured on what constitutes fatherly responsibility by Boris Johnson, a man who won’t even say how many children he has, and leaves women to bring up an unspecified number of them. Perhaps on Monday you watched the Guardian’s Rowena Mason being lectured in journalism by Johnson, a man sacked from a newspaper for fabricating quotes from his own godfather, and who blithely discussed helping a friend to have another journalist beaten up. Perhaps today, you heard Michael Gove tell LBC he has “on occasion” driven a car to check his eyesight.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    A+ for new thread title.

It certainly got me to check the thread for what could possibly lead to that thread title.

As funny as this story is, I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed in its relation to the threat title.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Apparently, in the aftermath of this weekend, lockdown fines given to families travelling for childcare are going to be reviewed.

This feels so fucking bizarre to me. The government is bending over backwards to support Cummings here, and I can only think of a few reasons as to why a special advisor would receive this level of support - none of which are good.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Someone considered the optics of that one well after the horse bolted.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Surely people could just mail the fine and an explanation of their exceptional circumstances to Mr Cummings and get them withdrawn, right? He can just use that common sense of his after reading them, now that we know his eyesight is good.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    CroakerBC wrote: »

A quick look suggests that the obese and those with diabetes have worse mortality outcomes than those who aren't those things.
    How much worse is of course not mentioned.
    The diet is the usual veg-and-healthy-things, which will in theory mean you lose weight/aren't obese/don't have a higher risk of deadness.

Standard Mail.

Its quite a lot worse, especially for untreated/uncontrolled diabetes. Obesity is a bit odd, because, there are so many grades of it and levels of 'health' you can have at different grades, but obese people are typically over represented by about 50% amongst those who are sick in hospital. Obesity is probably bad because it causes high blood pressure and other forms of stress on the heart in some people who have it.

So, one day a week of vegetarian home cooking is probably a solid reduction in your risk of hospitalization and death from the coronavirus.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.