As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Bethryn wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53392148

Reporting on a "reasonable" worst case scenario where Coronavirus persists through the new year. The sad part is that so many countries - including ours - have fucked this up, often through sheer stupidity and refusal to accept reality, that this is a very real possibility. My original hope in May was that we might see cases reduced to manageable levels by October (and then some fairly strict immigration policies on isolation), but it's hard to see that happening right now, especially with America's situation and our pair of blonde leaders wanting ever closer ties.

If they had actually taken, and stuck to, measures that would 'flatten the curve' and the fall off to ensure that had happened it probably could been that way. Instead it was a headlong rush to open up as soon as there was a slight dip in numbers.

Now, matters are worse.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Heh, it was Jeremy Vine I was talking about as well. Not my choice, my parents just have radio 2 on all the time. This is why I avoid radio and TV myself, my brain can't handle the stupid.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be a Spiked article comparing masks to Mao's Great Leap Forward within a couple of hours.

O'Neill went with a Burqa reference instead.

You could tell his heart wasn't really in this one.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Boy I sure can't wait to see all the people saying we should have "blitz spirit" to deal with Brexit complaining about having to wear a mask with zero sense of irony.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The good news is that there's been a striking uptick in mask use already.

The last few times I'd been to the supermarket it was around 50%. Just now the people without masks were a noticeable minority and they all looked quite sheepish.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The last few times I'd been to the supermarket it was around 50%. Just now the people without masks were a noticeable minority and they all looked quite sheepish.

The anti-maskers would say that's a sign that they need to WAKE UP

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

When I went earlier today I saw one single person with a mask, and that was me as I gazed forlornly at my reflection in the freezer section.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    George Monbiot in the Grauniad writes about possible corruption and cronyism in the Tory party

In other news, water wet, sky blue, etc

They're really just going to brazen it out because they've got 4 more years to let people forget about this stuff

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you win the election you get to ease back and let your particular pigs have at the trough. If you "win the argument" you get fuck all.

But yes this government is particularly dedicated to staying unaccountable and just ignoring what used to be sackable/resigning offences.

• Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'll be honest, despite the news article, and the description of events, I'm not 100% convinced that isn't Jen Reid posing as a living statue.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That was my first thought too.

"Wait, did they just... paint her and put her up there?"

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Amazing what you can do with freezing someone in carbonite these days.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Amazing what you can do with freezing someone in carbonite these days.

If that's an option, can someone freeze me until November 2nd, with an option to go back in for another four years starting on November 4th?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    One of the pictures in the article has a statue of Reid in front of the Plinth she is standing on as a living statue.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit pointed out that this is when David Cameron should have finished his 5 year term.

I feel like I have aged decades in that time.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Matt Hancock rejects face coverings for offices
    The health secretary told BBC Breakfast people working in offices would not need to cover up, despite a newspaper report suggesting they would.

"It is something we've looked at and rejected," he said, but added masks would be worn elsewhere by the public "for the foreseeable future".
    So, face coverings to be mandatory in offices from the 31st is my guess? They should be announcing that by this Sunday.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Matt Hancock rejects face coverings for offices
    The health secretary told BBC Breakfast people working in offices would not need to cover up, despite a newspaper report suggesting they would.

"It is something we've looked at and rejected," he said, but added masks would be worn elsewhere by the public "for the foreseeable future".
    So, face coverings to be mandatory in offices from the 31st is my guess? They should be announcing that by this Sunday.

This is utter madness. I live in one of the reddest states in the USA and the vast majority of people i come in contact with accept wearing masks as a matter of course.

And that’s my job. I do screening at a surgery center, I have to ask people to wear masks every day.

It doesn’t really surprise me but it is disheartening nonetheless

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit pointed out that this is when David Cameron should have finished his 5 year term.

The alternate "Ed Milliband" timeline, where someone on twitter invented "important events" as they would happen if he was prime minister used to be a fun little jokey thing.
    I've stopped following it, because it'll just be depressing now.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Dibbit wrote: »

The alternate "Ed Milliband" timeline, where someone on twitter invented "important events" as they would happen if he was prime minister used to be a fun little jokey thing.

It's possibly more depressing than you imagine: the account gave up in May. This was the last tweet.

Burnage on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Dibbit wrote: »

It's possibly more depressing than you imagine: the account gave up in May. This was the last tweet.

And earlier in May it sort-of wrapped up as what could/would/should have been Miliband's first term came to a close.

On the bright side, the same guy now runs Worried Starmer. What is Kier Starmer worried about today? https://twitter.com/StarmerWorried But even compared to the gentle humour of The Miliverse, it's just fluff, really.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    When reality becomes impossible to satirise I guess it's time to start doing something more productive than making jokes.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

(Political editor at Business Insider)

What are the chances that:
    - this is actually the policy as designed; Vs
    - this was made up on the hoof to avoid having to criticise a cabinet minister?

Would be fascinating to see the impact assessment or equivalent that led to this, but I don't actually believe there was one in the first place.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Would be fascinating to see the impact assessment or equivalent that led to this, but I don't actually believe there was one in the first place.

"Well, here you have the wall that we throw shit against, and here is where some of it has stuck."

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

So let me check if I understand this correctly:
    • Masks will remain mandatory on public transport
    • Masks will be mandatory in shops
    • Masks will not be mandatory in shops serving takeaway food
    • Masks will not be mandatory in indoor shopping centres
    • Masks will not be mandatory in offices
    • Masks will not be mandatory in pubs
    • Masks will not be mandatory in gyms

What is even the fucking point of this?

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Some minor good news:

Hugo is the deputy political editor of The I Newspaper.

So hopefully there's now a decent chance the Russia report won't be tampered with too much.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Mandatory masks in pubs and gyms does seem a bit silly. A bit like smoke detectors not being needed as long as any fire is correctly labelled.

• Options
    Fuckin lol at that. Fuck knows why they insisted on trying to force Grayling as chair. Could they seriously not find anyone so relentlessly incompetent to be their toady?

Totally needless embarrassment.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Mandatory masks in pubs and gyms does seem a bit silly. A bit like smoke detectors not being needed as long as any fire is correctly labelled.

Masking in gyms should be compulsory, working out in one is perfectly possible, you just need to modify what you are doing. You're in the gym to work hard and get your body tired, wearing a mask just means you can achieve those things with lower intensity exercise!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Fuckin lol at that. Fuck knows why they insisted on trying to force Grayling as chair. Could they seriously not find anyone so relentlessly incompetent to be their toady?

Totally needless embarrassment.

I did see someone saying that Chris Grayling is the only person to lose a rigged election which was quite funny.

• Options
    I don’t think gyms are open at all yet. Maybe open air ones.

• Options
    I don’t think gyms are open at all yet. Maybe open air ones.

They're reopening a day after the mandatory masks in shops rule comes into effect.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

So let me check if I understand this correctly:
    • Masks will remain mandatory on public transport
    • Masks will be mandatory in shops
    • Masks will not be mandatory in shops serving takeaway food
    • Masks will not be mandatory in indoor shopping centres
    • Masks will not be mandatory in offices
    • Masks will not be mandatory in pubs
    • Masks will not be mandatory in gyms

What is even the fucking point of this?

Get sick, die quickly.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    She ran a boring leadership campaign but I would give a lot to see Yvette Cooper dismantle Johnson on a weekly basis.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Some minor good news:

Hugo is the deputy political editor of The I Newspaper.

So hopefully there's now a decent chance the Russia report won't be tampered with too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSr9BbhoJQ

• Options
    I totally forgot the clip that made me say that, but it’s Cooper slowly taking Priti Patel apart on camera like a polite wrecking ball.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Lots of people having tremendous fun with the fact that Grayling lost his shot at becoming Chair of the Intelligence Committee by failing to recognise a covert move against him until it was too late

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.