As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Happy to see Pyro-Gro's rework. That card is currently hot garbage. Also, super happy with Alpha Fiend's buff. My favorite part of these games is building up stacks/buffs, like with the gorger or frostbite, so happy to see another stackbuilder being more viable. At the same time, sad to see those Awoken nerfs but I get it.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    AuralynxThe Escape Goat
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Y’all talking about balance and shit when they confirmed googly eyes are coming?! Get your priorities straight!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Happy to see Pyro-Gro's rework. That card is currently hot garbage. Also, super happy with Alpha Fiend's buff. My favorite part of these games is building up stacks/buffs, like with the gorger or frostbite, so happy to see another stackbuilder being more viable. At the same time, sad to see those Awoken nerfs but I get it.

I think the general buffs to the less-saucy Awoken units make up a lot of ground lost to the spell hits.

Still feels very DD-style in approach. The nail that sticks out gets hammered.

The various support guys for Awoken should also cost 0, as should the cuttlefish dudes for Stygian, after the Reformed unit changes.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

The harvest/morsel change is actually sensible, but yeah, i'm unimpressed.

Is it? The harvest mechanic was already bad if you weren't running morsels. This makes it effectively unusable. You can't cycle units fast enough to make harvest scale

destroyah87
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Is it? The harvest mechanic was already bad if you weren't running morsels. This makes it effectively unusable. You can't cycle units fast enough to make harvest scale

The change isn't about player-unit Harvest as much as the fact that enemy-unit Harvest was disproportionately hard on Umbra.

It's likely the reason a lot of the Harvest units in Reformed also got buffs, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

destroyah87ArcticLancerThe Escape Goat
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I mean this at least leaves room for them to buff harvest units to the point its worthwhile.

In theory.

The gave design behind it is sound, is what I mean - whether it's actually good in practice. .

I'm really baffled by some of the choices like the increase in cost to onehorn tome. Or the shadowsiege. A lot of yeah I ain't bothering with these cards any more than I already was

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    destroyah87AuralynxMoridin889
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Auralynx wrote: »

The change isn't about player-unit Harvest as much as the fact that enemy-unit Harvest was disproportionately hard on Umbra.

It's likely the reason a lot of the Harvest units in Reformed also got buffs, though.

Yeah, without morsel support, the Melting units with Harvest don't snowball as hard. They'd still be decent with lots of Reform support cycling Dreg/Draf units. Or imps, for that matter.

It's a good change, but pretty simplistic. And I might say it's less interesting than keeping the behavior as-is.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yeah, without morsel support, the Melting units with Harvest don't snowball as hard. They'd still be decent with lots of Reform support cycling Dreg/Draf units. Or imps, for that matter.

It's a good change, but pretty simplistic. And I might say it's less interesting than keeping the behavior as-is.

Nah, leaving it as it was basically locked Reformed and Umbra together at the hip, in addition to creating situations where attempting to feed morsels to your guys led to Pyre damage by armor accumulation. It's the right call.

I think the Tomb changes and Reform Rector buff are also a response to the unharvestable Morsels. It may even out.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The Rage waxer is going to be extremely good behind Rector now. 5 rage per kill is a lot, it's already one of my favorite multistrike upgrade targets.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Auralynx
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    sigh
    ... this game. :|
    6uvtw38saz91.png
    What if turn 1 gave you all your damage dealers and none of the 0-cost setup cards on the final boss?

Not that it mattered because I got immediately run over for never having seen a sweep or AOE spell card. 2-3 12/3 enemies a turn sure is a bitch.

ArcticLancer on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cross posting from the StS thread:

Has anyone here tried Pirate Outlaws yet? I picked it up for $0.99 and gave it a try. It’s very much a Slay the Spire clone with a pirate theme. Looks to be a lot of grinding for gold and fame, which are used to unlock new characters, levels, and items.

I’ll check back in with a more detailed review later as I get more games under my belt.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Stacked Sap is surprisingly potent for killing bosses; I put 34 stacks on Seraph, and they kind of just sat there while I beat them to death from 2400. Didn't even really matter what the rest of my deck was doing, Doublestack on a Guardian's Amulet, and then copied it one time. GG angels

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    After reading the upcoming patch notes, I'm pretty disappointed that only one card is getting a rework. I don't think they are at the "tweak a few numbers for balance" point of the game's development yet. Many cards need total reworks.

For instance, there are a mechanics that exist on exactly 1 card, like Fuel or Souls, that should either be expanded or removed.

I guess the STS devs spoiled me.

FryMNC DoverAuralynxThe Zombie PenguinMoridin889
    Think this is a new personal best for biggest unit: got Gorge Penumbra up to 1137/477 with 41 armor.

Two Holdover Making of a Morsel, two Morsel Masters, and a Holdover Feast. Om nom nom nom. I think there exists a double gorge artifact, which sadly I did not have.

AuralynxAh_PookMNC Dover
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    After reading the upcoming patch notes, I'm pretty disappointed that only one card is getting a rework. I don't think they are at the "tweak a few numbers for balance" point of the game's development yet. Many cards need total reworks.

For instance, there are a mechanics that exist on exactly 1 card, like Fuel or Souls, that should either be expanded or removed.

I was coming to apologize about how negative I've been at the game, then i looked over the patch notes and went back to being grumpy. Agreed on spoiled by the STS devs (god i hope they announce something... more for STS. another character, or a new game with the same quality would be fantastic)

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I was coming to apologize about how negative I've been at the game, then i looked over the patch notes and went back to being grumpy. Agreed on spoiled by the STS devs (god i hope they announce something... more for STS. another character, or a new game with the same quality would be fantastic)

I think they said they're going to do a 5th character, so hopefully something will happen on that front soon.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

Making lodestone totem cost 3 ember is some hearthstone shit. If sap is too strong when you can apply it easily and consistently, then dump the card. Head back to the drawing board and come up with a new defensive totem design.

destroyah87AuralynxThe Zombie PenguinArcticLancer
    Naphtali wrote: »

I think they said they're going to do a 5th character, so hopefully something will happen on that front soon.

Casey has refused to tell me what they're working on.

Making lodestone totem cost 3 ember is some hearthstone shit. If sap is too strong when you can apply it easily and consistently, then dump the card. Head back to the drawing board and come up with a new defensive totem design.

Agreed. All that increasing its cost does is make it binary - can you chat it into play? It'll be broken. Otherwise...

Hell, they already have a totem that has incant sap health from it. Why not use that as a model? Or increase the size it takes up on the floor. Or maybe a keyword that means it's always at the front. I'm just spit balling, but increasing the cost is the laziest solution.

Or hell, what they're doing with the multi strike tome. It's already so costly I'd never take it outside of volatile gauge decks, but making it so that it inflicts frail? (Unit instantly dies if it gets winged, if I understand correctly). Why am I taking this when I can just... Buy multi strike exactly?

If a card is too good to exist at 3 energy, there's a problem - or you need a Really good justification (see Omni & meteor strike in StS which have said justification)

Auralynx
    So, you used to be able to take the multi strike book if you had some gold and we're pathing into a magic shop, since you are guaranteed to get two -1 cost in a shop. Now hellhorned has 3 cards that are broken in gauge decks, and almost unplayable otherwise.

Which is a real feels bad when you keep getting offered them.

FryArcticLancerMoridin889
    So, you used to be able to take the multi strike book if you had some gold and we're pathing into a magic shop, since you are guaranteed to get two -1 cost in a shop. Now hellhorned has 3 cards that are broken in gauge decks, and almost unplayable otherwise.

Which is a real feels bad when you keep getting offered them.

Consumer of Crowns, Multistrike book, and... ? I'm unsure on the last one.

edited July 2020
    The 4 cost guy. Since unit drafts come so early, you either take him as a dead-weight and hope to survive to pick up the +1 ember boss relic, or pick something else that will actually get you past the first boss.

BSoB on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Casey has refused to tell me what they're working on.

maybe not then?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    The 4 cost guy. Since unit drafts come so early, you either take him as a dead-weight and hope to survive to pick up the +1 ember boss relic, or pick something else that will actually get you past the first boss.

Oh, right. ...i dont even know why he's 4 cost, he's really not that great.

Man, so many of MT's decisions feel like they did it because StS did it, without understnading they're not StS, or why StS did it.

@Naphtali Yeah, as much as i'd love a fifth character, i'd be happy seeing something new.

Every so occasionally the stars could align and you get the -2 unit cost relic and see that guy as your first draft. Totally playable then! ... >_>

destroyah87
    The amount of cost cheating stuff vs the amount of card draw remains another really weird point.

edited July 2020
    The trick is to just start with Sketches of Salvation every time, like a winner

Edit: one direction that might be interesting, would be to make it so you always carryover Ember, without needing a specific artifact for it, then rebalance all the costs, cost reductions, and draw power accordingly

Fry on
    You know, while we're here, pitch this in with another "randomize startup" thing: I'd be interested in the ability to tweak the starting values of a run RE actions/draws/floor space. Maybe too much of the balance is built into those values being assumed, but there are definitely runs that start with me wishing I could change them to mitigate my starting cards.

Fry wrote: »

Edit: one direction that might be interesting, would be to make it so you always carryover Ember, without needing a specific artifact for it, then rebalance all the costs, cost reductions, and draw power accordingly
    I think this probably breaks too many X cards, though I wouldn't be opposed to some idea where you can only carry over 2 energy a turn or something, and the artifact still exists to break that rule?

edited July 2020

I think this probably breaks too many X cards, though I wouldn't be opposed to some idea where you can only carry over 2 energy a turn or something, and the artifact still exists to break that rule?

The X cards are all garbage, don't @ me

(I am irritated by so my runs where I get offered the X+3 artifact at the start, then never see an X card)

Fry on
    Auralynx

(I am irritated by so my runs where I get offered the X+3 artifact at the start, then never see an X card)

The burnout one is pretty solid! The consume one too, actually. the others are whatever.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I like Vent, but only after I give it +10.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    ArcticLancerFryThe Escape GoatCorp.Shephard

The burnout one is pretty solid! The consume one too, actually. the others are whatever.
    Not that I'm king shit of this game or anything close to it, but applying 2X sap is _real good_ I think. Though arguably the problem is - as stated before - sap is probably just too easy to apply in general for how good it is, so this card suffers for being so targeted. Still, freely getting it for like 7-10 would be pretty good.

AuralynxFry
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    God, I hate Volatile Gauge. I’m trying it as a starting relic in mutator runs, and there are just TOO MANY 0 cost cards. Who cares if I draw a million cards if they all cost 2 and 3?

There are like... 3 damn cards in the *whole game* that are more than 3 ember and none of them are OP enough to bother.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    akjak wrote: »
    God, I hate Volatile Gauge. I’m trying it as a starting relic in mutator runs, and there are just TOO MANY 0 cost cards. Who cares if I draw a million cards if they all cost 2 and 3?

There are like... 3 damn cards in the *whole game* that are more than 3 ember and none of them are OP enough to bother.

Wat

All of the cards that cost 4+ are nuts, and most of the ones that cost 3 are real good, too, especially when they randomly get discounted to 1 or 0

Even if your deck is full of 1s and 2s, Volatile Gauge is still very good

And I had a Volatile Gauge run within the last page or two of the thread, where I put holdover on a zero cost spell that had Emberdrain, which is even worse!

VG, just like snecko eyes is ridic powerful, but i can understand the frustration.

Mathwise, you should be able to cast more than average. At least,l wit hte old 0-3. I'm not sure how 1-3 affects things. Apperntly you can sitll upgrade spells to cost less, and this iwll still work under Voltaile Gauge? Which is werid, but okay.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Comparing 0-4 vs 1-3, the former allows for playing over 3 cards a turn where 1-3 means you can only really play 3 a turn tops without cost reductions

VRXwDW7.png

VG, just like snecko eyes is ridic powerful, but i can understand the frustration.

Mathwise, you should be able to cast more than average. At least,l wit hte old 0-3. I'm not sure how 1-3 affects things. Apperntly you can sitll upgrade spells to cost less, and this iwll still work under Voltaile Gauge? Which is werid, but okay.

Yeah, if you have gauge, the guage hits, then the -1 cost applies. So, if you've got gauge, a spell with -1 on it can only cost 2 (or 3 after the nerf). This also changes the distribution of costs, by basically making 0 cost 20% more likely for each -1 cost on the spell.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am always an outlier when it comes to random distribution with Snecko Eye and Gauge and end up with all my cards costing in the top 80% of the available range and as such those cards suck hot shit for me.

akjakMoridin889
    I've done a bad job of not playing this game. <_<
    Railspike + the incant dude that gives all your units 1 armor is a very good combination of two things. Add in two holdover spells including a Battering Ram and a bit of spell weakness from the Stygian champion and tee-hee. >_>
    p8pp79r6ccfr.jpg
    Bonus points for Summon abilities are triggered twice with several armor imps, and things were just kind of funny. When things go your way, the game certainly has its moments.

FryMNC Dover
    The incant siren gets +2/+2 for an incant now, but the incant shark still only gets +0/+3.

Poor incant shark.

scherbchen