As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the new stygian champion makes me actually want to play them. i had no clears with stygian before this update and now i've finished 3 combos of them in the high teens of covenant using the new champion, so much more useful than the original one.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Moridin889
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Primodium is just Card Advantage: The Champion.

Effectively doubles every stat and status effect you cast.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    destroyah87
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Covenant 8 cleared!

Stygian/Awoken continues to be one of my favorite pairings. If the run aligns (aka you get Sting generation and fun Incant triggers) the combination can be utterly broken.
    8816D3EC9671CCD34A825D8564F4B026036D6E07
    I was pretty sure I had it in the bag once I got Forever Flame (units cost -2 ember) with Lodestone Totem in the deck. I knew it was over once I had Founding Seal (Incant abilities trigger twice)

It doesn't matter if phased Solgard needs 12 stacks of shard if that 12 stacks only takes six spells to get and most of my deck is 0 or 1 cost spells. :biggrin:
    Putting the Lodestone Totem and a Siren of the Sea on the same floor was just mean. Even up against spellconsume Seraph, it didn't matter. I'd just toss away one of the three Sting spells I was getting a turn. I probably didn't need to eternalstone and holdover a Pyre-Gro but it was funny.
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the new stygian champion makes me actually want to play them. i had no clears with stygian before this update and now i've finished 3 combos of them in the high teens of covenant using the new champion, so much more useful than the original one.

This was my first run with new Stygian. I very much like Solguard, but I've gotten clears with Stygian before. Looking at my logbook, it's only with Stygian/Awoken that I've had it and it was on the back of Sting/Incant abuse even then.

steam_sig.png
    MNC Dover
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I got Little Fade up to 1000 attack, ama about my little wax friend.

Lucedes
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Ha. I like the frostbite version, but I think most of what makes him decent is that he comes with discard built into his kit. I've always found sweep-spreading frostbite and spell weakness to be game-winning abilities on the original champ, and most of my wins are probably with him. XD

edited September 2020
    Completely unrelated, today's daily challenge might have generated my favourite looking floor ever:
    i2fcu1zghgd4.png
    What if 4 spell slot upgrades and a 5-regen holdover for 0-cost along with all the other usual healing kit? :P

ArcticLancer on
    MNC DoverTim is on the Internet
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Little fade is pretty good. I tried out what I think is her worst path, the buff path. Still crushed it. Even missed reforming her with 4 random reforms on the final floor.

Didn't matter, +30 attack is a big number.
    dlmdsvwfsw4w.jpg

BSoB on
    MNC Dover
    akjak wrote: »

You can also just take the damage path and put virtually any unit with a multistike upgrade in front of him and that's basically enough to win on its own.

+120/+15 is a big buff.

Moridin889
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »

You can also just take the damage path and put virtually any unit with a multistike upgrade in front of him and that's basically enough to win on its own.

+120/+15 is a big buff.

Also funny to put the sweep guy in front.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Moridin889
    Infinites in this game are painful.
    dbxpn57nyr4i.jpg
    Saraph really wishes he had trample.

MNC Doverchrono_traveller
    edited October 2020
    Dragging this off of page 5 to let everyone know there is a patch out today.

Major features include mod support, some hollowween stuff, color blind mode and a few balance changes. Most notably they buffed all of the cards that add burnout.

If you need the Bone dog cheevo, he is way more common now and comes from his own event instead of being a rare chance inside another event.

full notes in spoiler

MODS - added official mod support. Enable mods on the main menu and then check out the Steam Workshop.
    HALLOWEEN - for a limited time you'll see some holiday themed graphics in the game. Also, Bone Dog is now in his own Concealed Caverns event and is much more common for the duration of the Halloween celebrations.
    SETTINGS - added a new color blind accessibility option. It changes the color of some floating text and status effect icons. There is a preset for red/green color blind. You can also set the option to "custom" and then change the colors to whatever you want in the game preferences file.

Other changes

GAMEPLAY - moved Bone Dog to his own event and removed him from the potions event. Made Bone Dog more common.
    GAMEPLAY - Rector Flicker's Dark Calling path buffed. Stats increased at all levels. Bonus attack on reform increased at level 1 (0->5) and level 2 (5->10).
    GAMEPLAY - changed Razorsharp Edge yet again to try to prevent confusion. Went back to saying "-2 <heart>" on the card but now it also always lowers current health and max health. Hopefully this will be the end of the confusion.
    GAMEPLAY - Emberstone can now be applied to X cost cards.
    GAMEPLAY - using a reform card when there is only one possible target in your Consume pile will skip the deck screen and immediately reform that unit.
    GAMEPLAY - increased Gorge stat gain for Penumbra's Glutton path
    GAMEPLAY - increased stats of Solgard's Titanchannel path at level 1. Decreased shard requirement at level 2
    GAMEPLAY - Hallowed Drippings Burnout increased 3 -> 5.
    GAMEPLAY - Purifying Cleanse healing increased 10 -> 15, Burnout increased 2 -> 3.
    GAMEPLAY - Wicklash attack buff increased 5 -> 10.
    GAMEPLAY - Perils of Production Rage increased 2 -> 3.
    GAMEPLAY - Railbeater Armor bonus increased 25 -> 30.
    GAMEPLAY - Molluscmage stats changed to 5/3 with +8 Magic Power.
    GAMEPLAY - Cuttlehex stats changed to 5/3.
    GAMEPLAY - Preserved Thorns Ember cost increased 0 -> 1.
    GAMEPLAY - removed Rage bonus from Furnace Tap.
    ENGINE - various changes that improve load time and reduce peak memory consumption.
    TEXT - removed erroneous Enhance tooltip from Bone Rattler.
    TEXT - clarified that Endless works on Eaten units too.
    BUG FIX - the Moth Magic mutator now ascends even when there is armor.
    BUG FIX - fixed a softlock that was introduced a few months ago for brand new players if they followed a rare sequence of actions in the initial tutorial.

BSoB on
    MNC Dover
  • hushhush Registered User regular
    I am having some real issues finding the right combo for blighted existence, after that i will be done with all the expert challenges

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
    Hello again.

Monster train is doing some DLC. They are putting the DLC up on beta test.

Here are notes and things
    The Public Test Train for The Last Divinity DLC is here! We love our amazing community and want to give you all a taste of the DLC until January 10th, so hop on board and share your feedback on the changes listed below. Unlike previous preview periods, this doesn't mean that the DLC is launching immediately after the test ends. We know, it's hard to wait! Thanks for the patience and we hope you enjoy the new content.

You are welcome to join us for feedback and discussion on the official Monster Train Discord server in the #public-test-train channel.

How to join
    Make sure Monster Train is not running
    Right click on the game in your Steam Library
    Click "properties"
    Click the "BETAS" tab
    In the dropdown menu, choose "public-test-server"
    Press close and wait for the game to update

Note: please disable mods in the base game before playing the DLC. Some currently cause it to break.

Major new features
    The public test for the new content has arrived, and it has even more moving parts than you may have expected. The dominant feature at first glance is undoubtedly the new Wurmkin clan, complete with a full set of cards, artifacts, and an all-new corruption game mechanic, but that’s only the beginning!

Let’s take a look at the various big-picture elements of this new content:
    Wurmkin Clan: The Wurmkin are a complete clan with their own champions, units, spells, artifacts, and their very own game mechanic – corrupted echoes
    New Rares for Existing Clans: One new rare unit for Hellhorned, Awoken, Stygian Guard, and Umbra; one new rare spell for Melting Remnant
    New General Artifacts: The artifact pool for common artifacts, those not tied to a specific clan, has 11 brand new artifacts
    New Concealed Caverns Events: There are numerous new events players can trigger throughout their run that introduce new story elements in the world of Monster Train
    New Currency: Shards are a brand new currency with which players can interact; unlike gold, you gain benefits when you GAIN shards rather than when you spend them, but they also enhance the power of your enemies in battles throughout your run
    Shard Enemies: The more shards you carry, the more you’ll run into elite “Shard” enemies, more powerful versions of the enemies you’ve faced before
    Shard Map Nodes: Each ring has one shard map node where you can take on more shards to gain gold, artifacts, or spell upgrades, or to perform a unit synthesis
    Unit Synthesis: At the Divine Temple map node, you can sacrifice a unit and fuse some of its essence into another, granting that unit bonus stats and abilities
    Final Battle: If you have 100 or more Shards when you defeat Seraph, your run enters a brand new battle – The Last Divinity
    Updated Scoring: You gain additional points for taking on more shards and for defeating The Last Divinity.
    Divine Card Mastery: Defeating The Last Divinity gives you a Divine mastery stamp on each of your cards used in that run.
    New Mutators: 10 new Mutators
    New Expert Challenges: 5 new Expert Challenges
    New Card Frames: 3 new mastery card frames with new unlock conditions

Changes to existing content
    GAMEPLAY – Horned Warrior’s attack decreased 30 -> 15, health increased 4 -> 5, and he gained Multistrike 1. (It’s been a very long time since Horned Warrior has received any changes, but changes were due. The iconic Hellhorned demon gained a bit more staying power and exchanged some raw attack power for Multistrike 1.)
    GAMEPLAY – Imp-cicle and Imp-in-a-Box can now give Queen’s Imps. Additionally, the chances of getting Imp Scholar and Transcendimp were also increased slightly.
    GAMEPLAY – Cultivating Sentient’s card draw bonus no longer grows bigger at levels II and II. (We’re pleased so many players are enjoying the recent changes to Cultivating Sentient, but she’s grown just a little too reliable at winning. This small tweak back down in power should trim her hedges just a little and bring her in line with other Monster Train champions.)
    GAMEPLAY – Awoken Railspike cost reduction decreased 2 -> 1. (Card draw and an ember discount in one? Sign me up! We’ve dialed back the cost reduction of Awoken Railspike to rein in its power a little, but it still offers phenomenal value for your ember.)
    GAMEPLAY – Tethys’s Handheld Totem path level-II stat upgrade changed from +2 Health -> +5 Attack and +3 Health. Her level-III stat upgrade changed from +1 Health -> +10 Attack and +3 Health. (Tethys is a unique champion many players enjoy, but higher levels of her Handheld Totem path have struggled to keep up with other options. We’ve increased attack and health at levels II and III to make it more rewarding to stay on her Spell Weakness path instead of branching out.)
    GAMEPLAY – Numerous Morsel units’ stats and/or bonuses increased (Magma Morsel attack stat increased 4 -> 6 and granted attack increased 4 -> 6, Antumbra health stat increased 4 -> 6 and granted health increased 4 -> 6, Morsel Excavator attack stat increased 2 -> 3 and granted attack increased 2 -> 3, Morsel Jeweler health stat increased 2 -> 3 and granted health increased 1 -> 3, Morsel Miner granted attack and health increased 5 -> 6, Rubble Morsel now grants 2 attack and 2 health).
    GAMEPLAY – The “Shards of the Pyre” event now has a third reward options that gives you a Strengthstone unit upgrade.
    TEXT – Several game elements rephrased slightly for clarity and/or consistency.

MNC Dover
    6 tries to get my first "divine victory" with the new clan.
    Spoiler for what that means.
    There are new nodes with extra free stuff on the map, taking them gives you 'shards'. The game is made harder based on how many shards you have. If you have 100 or more shards when you beat seraph, you fight a new final boss who is 3 floors tall.

I think the trick is to never go into the 'red' with the shards.
    {/spoiler]

MNC Dover
    The public Beta for the DLC ends today.

Spoiler for the kinda floor you need to beat the new final boss.
    qq894eokkhky.jpg

MNC Dover
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    gXb3vmH.jpg

sig.gif
    MNC Dover
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I should really start playing this game again. Sounds like a lot of new stuff has been added or changed.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Powerpuppies
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man, I should really start playing this game again. Sounds like a lot of new stuff has been added or changed.

I'd wait for the DLC. They are a neat new faction and much better put together than the original caster faction. Also the divine shard mechanic is super neat.

destroyah87MNC Dover
    Release date announced for the DLC.

March 25th.
    Finally, we are ready to share the date when you can play the Wurmkin clan and take on The Last Divinity.

The Last Divinity DLC is coming on March 25th! Price will be $11.99.

We would like to thank all who participated in the Public Test Train weekend in January. Thanks to your help we have killed many bugs and improved overall polish. The in-game feedback tool was extensively used, and that feedback helped us improve the DLC even more. The Wurmkin clan is feeling very balanced and the additions to the other clans and Concealed Caverns events add a lot of extra variety.

With modest pride we also would like to share that Monster Train has been nominated in the 24th D.I.C.E. Awards for Strategy/Simulation game of the year. So cool!

The Last Divinity store page will be available for wishlisting very soon.

We look forward to seeing you on March 25th!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    @BSoB so how's the game changed in the last however many months? Has anything been done to address the complaints myself and others had in this thread, or how has the balance shaken out?

I'm curious about the dlc but not sure I wanna spring for it

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    @BSoB so how's the game changed in the last however many months? Has anything been done to address the complaints myself and I had in this thread, or how has the balance shaken out?

I'm curious about the dlc but not sure I wanna spring for it
    Both of you, eh? ;P

But yeah, uh ... I don't really think so? I definitely won't be picking up the DLC anyway.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Look, when there's one zombie, there's more zombies. it's how it works man.

FryArcticLancerLucedes
    Have you played since the exile champs came out? It's a content double, add new bosses and new champs. The new champs definitely make you change your play patterns around them more than the originals did.

There have been a few balance patches, partly to make some unused set ups stronger, partly to curb infinite combos. Small nerfs here and there.

The DLC gives you one more deck building decision point a fight. The new node is a balancing act between getting stronger and making future fights harder. They are also reworking the covenant levels to reduce RNG. Main one is middle floor loses space now instead of a random floor.

The new clan has a floor based, persistent(through a fight) resource mechanic that you make use of one of three ways. 1. stacking it to make their 'poison' hit harder. 2. spending it on powerful spells. 3. spending it to hatch weak egg units into strong units.

The new final fight is about getting busted strong, or at least it was in the beta. The fight is borderline unfair, so you have to be a bit unfair too. You have to put together the pieces you get into a strong whole.

Mostly I've learned that the RNG in the game is something you can usually play around. Planning your route is important, and sometimes you just take the unit you're offered to win the next fight or two, and then junk it when you get something better. 3 floor setups are almost never the way, because too many draw priority units will bite you. And never build a deck that relies entirely on one holdover card, unless you know you can survive until you drawn through your deck once.

I havent played since July 2020 @BSoB so it's been a long damn time.

I think my single biggest issue was the starting bloat, esp at high cov. Has that changed?

The other was the feeling the game was built to make YOLO combos the way to go, rather than being able to have scrappy wins ala StS

Friends and foes dropped September, adding double the number of champions (with their own starting cards) and new bosses. This content comes with the base game.

You still can't get a removal node until the 3rd ring, if that's what you mean. The first two rings are (only? usually?) some combo of steel shop, magic shop, unit draft main, unit draft ally, and money node. You can often afford to remove 1 card in the first 2 rings if you want but not much more. If you're looking for the game to be exactly slay the spire, it is not.
    Firstly it is easier to consistently get max difficulty wins than StS. Secondly, it is much harder to tell if you misplayed a fight. Balancing killing low health high damage units in the back,killing high health units in the front, and getting strong enough to beat the boss in relentless makes fights more interesting to me than in StS. Replaying a fight you lost but trying something different, like setting up on a different floor, or focusing on a different threat can make a much larger difference that it appears at first glance.

You can certainly get scrappy wins VS Saraph, but with the test version of the DLC it definitely felt like you had to go way over the top to beat the bonus boss. The bonus tools they give you are clearly designed to do so, with that ability to smush ability/stats from one unit onto another and extra powerful spell upgrades.

That's of course with only the week I had to play it, and before whatever changes they are making.

destroyah87
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I havent played since July 2020 @BSoB so it's been a long damn time.

I think my single biggest issue was the starting bloat, esp at high cov. Has that changed?

The other was the feeling the game was built to make YOLO combos the way to go, rather than being able to have scrappy wins ala StS

The couple times I've run thru since about that same time, it still felt pretty YOLO-oriented. The useful floor got considerably raised and some weak or bizarre stuff cleaned up, however.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

The Zombie PenguinNaphtali
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The new champs do give the game some more flavor and are worth trying out, especially if you already own the game.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    How balanced are the new champs? Do they feel like viable alternatives or do they crowd out the other options?

All of the new champs encourage wildly different play patterns from the standard champs.

I think they are well designed, with the possible exception of little Fade. She can be super fun to play once you get her going, but if your draw is poor on the second fight, you can just die right there.

Also exile Awoken is a great champ, and has maybe the best starter card in the game, but virtually loses the ability to play with the hollow units. That feels weird that you have 2 dead unit drafts with him, but it hasn't lost me a run.

Auralynx
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    All of the new champs encourage wildly different play patterns from the standard champs.

I think they are well designed, with the possible exception of little Fade. She can be super fun to play once you get her going, but if your draw is poor on the second fight, you can just die right there.

Also exile Awoken is a great champ, and has maybe the best starter card in the game, but virtually loses the ability to play with the hollow units. That feels weird that you have 2 dead unit drafts with him, but it hasn't lost me a run.

I really like the new Awoken guy but yeah, he pushes some radically different unit choices on you unless you're lucky enough to pick up heals as the random adds.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

destroyah87
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I really like the new Awoken guy but yeah, he pushes some radically different unit choices on you unless you're lucky enough to pick up heals as the random adds.

The exile awoken cards are also very very good with Stygian.

steam_sig.png
    Auralynx wrote: »

The exile awoken cards are also very very good with incanting the shit out of the sirens and winning.

chrono_travellerLucedes
    same difference.

steam_sig.png
    Naphtali
    been messing around with this. The Exile umbra guy seems... really weak. You're just too reliant on a good draft pick early AND drawing things in the right order. And that's before you run into stuff like Talos punching your units around. I feel like i must be missing something, but that's been the reaction so far.

The phased until you cast spells Exile is fun - i got him + awoken exile cards on a random run, and just stacked the phase upgrade and proceeded to roll over things happily at C25

edited March 2021
    been messing around with this. The Exile umbra guy seems... really weak. You're just too reliant on a good draft pick early AND drawing things in the right order. And that's before you run into stuff like Talos punching your units around. I feel like i must be missing something, but that's been the reaction so far.

The phased until you cast spells Exile is fun - i got him + awoken exile cards on a random run, and just stacked the phase upgrade and proceeded to roll over things happily at C25

primordium can do very silly things - you can pass multistrike from it to the unit you get, for instance. works best with clans that have units that can just go nuts with that (like ex awoken, esp with steel enhancer/sharpen steel and rootseeds, etc), or have ways to respawn primordium (melting, umbra with retch). primordium respawns with all its stat gains and resets its morsel count too. you can rage it too, but it will not pass the rage (just the increased stats)

push back talos is just fucking miserable regardless of what you get imo

Naphtali on
    destroyah87Auralynx
    @Naphtali You cant respawn Primordium with melting remnant cards, unless i'm missing something?

@Naphtali You cant respawn Primordium with melting remnant cards, unless i'm missing something?

You cannot if it runs out the stacks of morsel and is eaten for the last time. You can if it dies from attacks or a card effect.

steam_sig.png

You cannot if it runs out the stacks of morsel and is eaten for the last time. You can if it dies from attacks or a card effect.

That is incredibly fiddly and non-intuitive.

Yeah. It also plays harder into the "better get your combo pieces" side of things because you can be looking for ways to kill off your own guys effectively.
    MT was a good stab at something, and it's not like it isn't fun, but the design is very far from graceful and I think all the new content really demonstrated and leaned into that.

AuralynxNaphtali
    Very far from graceful is a good descriptor. Playing again there's just so many pain points. And most of them are minor, but they add up.

I still hate the way card draw works.

ArcticLancer