As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I hopped on the train! ...I picked this up yesterday. Lost my starting tutorial run, but won my second as Awoken/Hellhorned. Set up my champion as a pure wall with spikes and upgraded the multi-hit plant lady that hurls thorns. Then cloned her twice! Plus took a bunch of damage buffing spells to enhance her.

The final battle didn’t have any enemies escape past that meat grinder on the second floor, including Seraph.

Still a bit short of unlocking Stygian though, and a good deal off from the other two.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Got this as a gift from the monster @McMoogle in the Steam thread. I fought a fat sub-boss who wiped out my stuff and beat up my heart/core thingy. I got lucky and survived, but I don't see this run going well. Basically...

dbjtwexzcsug.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I hopped on the train! ...I picked this up yesterday. Lost my starting tutorial run, but won my second as Awoken/Hellhorned. Set up my champion as a pure wall with spikes and upgraded the multi-hit plant lady that hurls thorns. Then cloned her twice! Plus took a bunch of damage buffing spells to enhance her.

The final battle didn’t have any enemies escape past that meat grinder on the second floor, including Seraph.

Still a bit short of unlocking Stygian though, and a good deal off from the other two.

The tutorial run is really hard because you don't get a free artifact, or to choose your champion. Also i think difficulty 1 is easier than 0, because getting a bunch of not-starting cards in your deck is a huge upgrade.

I picked this up a few days ago, and have been doing OK. Mostly having trouble figuring out what to do when I don't have a big awoken tank in front.

But, I tried Stygian + melting, and picked the damage spell cost champ. Also got 3 of the "give your spells +5 damage" spell

0 cost does 70 damage 3 times is a hell of a card.
    olrsang2qwfd.jpg

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Got this game last week and got a bit too much into it (17 hours played) and having a good time. Currently trying to do a convenant rank 1 runs on each clan mix and getting everyone to max level.

Last game got really hillarious in the end. Hellhorned/Umbra. I got really lucky with getting the Spikedriver colony and mixing it up with two endless creatures: Fledling Imp and Transcendimp. So the plan in the endgame was: Summon all Spikedriver colonies on the first floor, Keep summoning Fledling imp + Transcendimp each run. And since Transcendimp recasts all summon abilities that has been cast INCLUDING ITS PREVIOUS SUMMON, it got insane.

y6no2w4p8xx3.jpg
    Transcendimp is a pretty crazy unit.

Adding some spells that protected the units until the ball got running, it became quiet silly in the end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Any tips or tutorials for what I should do? Or is it a matter of playing a lot to unlock everything and get used to the cards and stuff?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Any tips or tutorials for what I should do? Or is it a matter of playing a lot to unlock everything and get used to the cards and stuff?

You in no way need to unlock everything to start succeeding. If you're just talking about getting your first victory I'd say go with the plant guys as your primary faction as that lends itself to a simple strategy of high damage dealers hiding behind high defence walls. For basic tips:

- The usual deck builder thing of keeping your deck slim but not emptying it too quickly. i.e. dump the guards but not before you have replacement units. Don't forget that all the shops have a card removal option.

- Investing heavily in upgrades for a single card and then duplicating it is often a big power bump.

- Don't be afraid to let your core take a bit of damage if an enemy unit or two slips though. Setting up for the boss is the main thing.

- You only really want enough units in your deck to fill your train. Extra just dilute things and slow you down.

- Once a unit is dead it is dead, the card doesn't come back (unless it has an ability) so don't throw units away. Better left in hand to cycle back than thrown to death because your wall isn't in place yet.

- You have perfect information on the combat result preview, use that to check each floor to see which need attention.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    it was a covenant free run because i had just unlocked Umbra but man Umbra feels really stupid powerful if you get the morsel generation going properly

went 2 monstrous 1 architect on Penumbra and even had mine jacks for incredibly dumb capacity on the middle floor so for the Seraph Fight i had just set up Morselmaster AND Morselmaker feeding Penumbra 4 morsels a turn + whatever odd morsel i decided to summon there

but then i ended up not even needing it because i had a Crucible Collector on the bottom floor backed up by a Morselmaker who just 1v1'd Seraph to death because it had like 12 turns of being fed lmao

unknown.png?width=1133&height=631

Orphane on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    One thing I learnt the hard way about Umbra is that giving Multistrike to the life drain guy (collector?) is a really bad idea. It makes his life drain charges go down twice as fast which usually means he can only last half as long against bosses.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Agreed with Jam's comments. I got my first loss at like Covenant 8, and didn't really start feeling a pinch until covenant 12 or so. You definitely don't have to level up to advance.

Some other tips I have for you:
    - take almost all optional challenges, especially early in the run. "Enemies start on all floors" sounds scary, but it isn't going to cause more than about 20 damage to your Pyre even if you completely ignore them (which I usually do)

- while deciding whether to take a challenge, you can get a preview of what enemies you will face by hovering over them. Have a think about what your deck does, and whether the challenge will meaningfully impact that. If you don't have much damage spells, who cares if the enemy gets Spell Shield? Or maybe you do have damage spells, but the back row enemy types only have 3 HP and you have a unit with Sweep you deploy on the bottom anyway. Alternatively, maybe you're doing Hellhorned with multi strike; all enemies gaining Spikes is going to wreck all of your units, better skip that

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My first win on my second attempt went from immediately overpowered to laughable at record speed.

65JEqtt.png

BILLIONS OF BIG FAST BOIS STAY THE FUCK OFF THE SECOND FLOOR

I can't imagine any run where you start with Sketches of Salvation not being a face-roll to be honest. I guess maybe haste might fuck it up if you can't deal with that, but... eh.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Whoops. Just lost a run because the Seraph had the ability that forces you to consume the first spell you use each turn and after being super careful for most of the run, I accidentally consumed my big nuke that I had holdover on the turn before I finished stacking a whole bunch of spell weakness on Seraph.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Agreed with Jam's comments. I got my first loss at like Covenant 8, and didn't really start feeling a pinch until covenant 12 or so. You definitely don't have to level up to advance.

Some other tips I have for you:
    - take almost all optional challenges, especially early in the run. "Enemies start on all floors" sounds scary, but it isn't going to cause more than about 20 damage to your Pyre even if you completely ignore them (which I usually do)

- while deciding whether to take a challenge, you can get a preview of what enemies you will face by hovering over them. Have a think about what your deck does, and whether the challenge will meaningfully impact that. If you don't have much damage spells, who cares if the enemy gets Spell Shield? Or maybe you do have damage spells, but the back row enemy types only have 3 HP and you have a unit with Sweep you deploy on the bottom anyway. Alternatively, maybe you're doing Hellhorned with multi strike; all enemies gaining Spikes is going to wreck all of your units, better skip that

I'm not sure "almost all" is correct, especially if you're still getting used to the game. Spikes and extra armor in particular can spontaneously end your run out of nowhere if you're not very careful.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    One my first run after the intro run. Focused mainly on the Spike Plant champ and two of the big boys that gain +1/+1 when the rejuvenate. The whole build felt...bad? The Sweep plant helped clear up weenies, but big units just took their hit and moved on. My damage just wasn't there. If the final boss hadn't died on the 2nd floor, the two big units on the third floor would have ended my train easily.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    One my first run after the intro run. Focused mainly on the Spike Plant champ and two of the big boys that gain +1/+1 when the rejuvenate. The whole build felt...bad? The Sweep plant helped clear up weenies, but big units just took their hit and moved on. My damage just wasn't there. If the final boss hadn't died on the 2nd floor, the two big units on the third floor would have ended my train easily.

Those rejuv units are good but need the multistrike or largestone upgrades very badly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Started a new run with the bald Fire Champion and my starting artifact was Rage doesn't decay. So yeah, I kind of know where this run is going to be focused. Beat the first boss with this set-up:

Champ up front, glass cannon demon that grants Rage on kill behind him, Imp guy that gives front person Armor.

That was the first time I beat a boss without it leaving the first floor. Cool!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Spikes are a strong strategy, both on the Sentient or even just from a Thorned Hollow. You need a lot of regen for them to truly shine, but with enough bosses just kill themselves on you. I don't like the non-spiky hollow as much.

It may not be immediately obvious, but Sweep kind of has anti-synergy with Spikes. All the weak support enemies kill themselves on the spiky tank and then the sweeper has fewer targets, which largely defeats the purpose of having a sweeper at all. Although if the sweeper has Quick it at least reduces incoming damage pretty effectively.

If the bulk of your non-champion capacity was taken up by a sweeper and two hollows then I see why you had trouble keeping big enemies away from your Pyre; that's not a ton of damage per capacity. You probably want either a couple of heavily upgraded multistrike Animus (preferably further boosted by Channelsong) or just something good from your other faction to mop up the stuff that doesn't skewer itself to death instantly.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Also never take Animus of Speed. It's so hilariously awful it's not even funny.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i wonder if they'll ever add more champions for each clan

i understand that there are 3 upgrade paths which allow for a fair amount of customization but i think additional champions could be a nice way to play around with deck/clan themes

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also never take Animus of Speed. It's so hilariously awful it's not even funny.

I have wreaked unholy terror with an upgraded Animus of Speed sitting comfortably behind my champion.

• Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Spikes are a strong strategy, both on the Sentient or even just from a Thorned Hollow. You need a lot of regen for them to truly shine, but with enough bosses just kill themselves on you. I don't like the non-spiky hollow as much.

It may not be immediately obvious, but Sweep kind of has anti-synergy with Spikes. All the weak support enemies kill themselves on the spiky tank and then the sweeper has fewer targets, which largely defeats the purpose of having a sweeper at all. Although if the sweeper has Quick it at least reduces incoming damage pretty effectively.

If the bulk of your non-champion capacity was taken up by a sweeper and two hollows then I see why you had trouble keeping big enemies away from your Pyre; that's not a ton of damage per capacity. You probably want either a couple of heavily upgraded multistrike Animus (preferably further boosted by Channelsong) or just something good from your other faction to mop up the stuff that doesn't skewer itself to death instantly.

I had one Sweeper with +10 damage and would add the Quick spell on it. I've never heard of Animus cards and had to google what they were. Yeah, some of those would have been nice to get some real damage out there.

I'm guessing the game is going to open up a lot more as I unlock the cards/artifacts for each faction.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    As much as I like the game, it really has a problem of telling information about clans, units, enemy units and how they'll interact. The general information about what the individual clans units are and what their main mechanics are would be really helpful in the early game. It's great having perfect information about how the rounds will resolve, but explaining why it works out like it does and what effects will happen to creatures in later rounds (Does frostbite stay? If I put two resolve creatures in the same space do the effects happen at the same time or is it a certain line of events? Do Gorge effect happen first or Resolve happen first even when the text is a lot alike?)

One example is the Morselmaker. At the end of the turn, does the effect happen when the room is already full? It does. If I also put a Morselmaster in same room, does it spawn 2x the same amount of creatures even when I am not casting a spell to create them ? They do.

If you are new to the game these can ruin your runs and make the game feel unfair. It does open to "Eureka!" moments where you change how you look at unit synergy, but unless you are willing to play the game and lose since you misunderstood how things work, it kinda sucks.

P.s. I know all the answers to those questions, but had to experiment with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My best run so far:
    7ldz4pjoltcg.jpg

I had a Giantstone and double strike on my Legion the extinguish abilities trigger twice relic, along with the spell that triggers your extinguish abilities, so my Legion was just sitting on the second floor performing casual atrocities against the hordes of heaven.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Followup: I am convinced the best units to get in the game are a Fledgling Imp and a Transcendimp, and then if you get any ways of recurring them, it ensures you have enough damage to kill everything.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My best run so far:

I had a Giantstone and double strike on my Legion the extinguish abilities trigger twice relic, along with the spell that triggers your extinguish abilities, so my Legion was just sitting on the second floor performing casual atrocities against the hordes of heaven.

22 minutes for a full clear? Man, I spend way too much time thinking through my turns, apparently. I don't think I've ever made it to Fel that fast, let alone won.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I have a hard time not running Awoken so far. The Sentient is a very nice security blanket. I like Tethys (I think?) for the Stygian, but I haven’t had too much luck with her if I don’t get her conduit (spellcost) upgrade since the others seem to leave her at such low health spikes or sweep enemies pop her.

Hell horned I need to try more. Out of my three unlocked factions I grok them the least. Though I am also very close to unlocking Umbra.

• Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My best run so far:

22 minutes for a full clear? Man, I spend way too much time thinking through my turns, apparently. I don't think I've ever made it to Fel that fast, let alone won.

I play every game fast, and usually badly, until I can play it fast and well. Lots of people seem to start by playing slowly and then never really learn how to play fast because they got comfortable playing slowly. It's just how I play games, though, since I really cut my teeth on Starcraft, where if you didn't play fast you just fucking lost.

• Options
    My runs are typically about two hours per, but I am not fretting over game choices that whole time. I read the flavor text (which you have to turn on in a menu), I do some work or foruming on the other computer, etc

• Options
    ajqygg7msvcg.png

Well that run went well. Having Rage not decay is bonkers strong. My killzone was:
    • Welder Helper (back): Quick and x2 Attack
    • Branded Warrior (middle): Quick and +10 Attack (Slay: Rage 3)
    • Hornbreaker Prince (front): Wrathful III (Slay: Gain 25 Armor, Revenge: Rage 4)

Prince gets hurt, gets more damage. Prince kills, gets tons of Armor. Branded Warrior buffs everyone on a kill. And Welded Helper goes from a 1x2 to 100+ x 2 in no time. The Frozen Lances were all upgraded with +20 damage and Consume, which got them out of the deck faster. AND I had the +50 damage on Consume Artifact. So yeah...

Pretty solid build for where I'm at in the game. 2 wins in a row. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Doing really bad at Covenant 1. Haven't been able to score a win at that yet. Not sure if I'm having rotten luck, or just learning things. Had a very good run just now, but the Seraph had the Sap effect and reduced my sweeper to zero damage and then I just couldn't deal with all the chaff that were dealing like 10-20 damage a pop.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I broke down and bought this as well. Had a little trouble with Stygian at first, but then i just went all in on frost.

r01s1odioy10.jpg

Turns out the bossman doesn't like having 500 stacks of frostbite. I wonder why.

Edit: Also kind of crazy that there is an even better version of the sneko eye in this game.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I’m finding remnant/Stygian is the most consistently powerful for C16+.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I’m finding remnant/Stygian is the most consistently powerful for C16+.
    Really? I've been feeling like Stygian Guard is universally the worst pick for the secondary slot. What cards do you look for in that build?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sounds like i need to pick this up and see if i can achieve the same level of expertise in it i have in StS.

That's a sane goal, right? =3

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Sounds like i need to pick this up and see if i can achieve the same level of expertise in it i have in StS.

That's a sane goal, right? =3

I'm admittedly still at the lower levels, but my impression so far is that it's waaaay easier/more forgiving than STS, but also a bit more random in a way that even the bosses of STS aren't. Like I've had runs that were stopped dead because of certain minor/generic enemies with a specific skill (particularly ones with Sweep on Umbra runs), or more often, multiple of them in a row that I knew would be a problem, and then on other runs, just never saw a single enemy with Sweep at all, or got the artifact that gives all morsels damage shield and could just ignore it. I'm also not sure there's as much variance in runs, but that could change as I unlock more units.

I think you'll enjoy it all the same, but my impression is that it's definitely more about setting up a win condition, and those win conditions are pretty obvious, while STS is a bit more focused on the turn to turn.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I'm having a harder time grocking it than I did Slay the Spire. That being said, I do at least think I figured out what I did to screw up my last run.

Also Umbra are pretty rad. I like their morsel gimmick a lot. Had a lot of fun setting up with a morsel summoner, a morsel master, and a gorger. Which is probably a pretty standard set up, but still!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Just had a run where I was completely bodying every fight, and then I lost because my guys had no way to deal actual damage to Seraph. Don't go too hard on Reform, kids

(Also, screw those guys with Sweep+Ember Drain, they make it unreasonable to actually set up)

Fry on
  • Options
    I also had those jerks in my recent Seraph battle, which is probably a big reason why it went south. I think I could have salvaged it a bit with some better decisions, but those guys are really punishing.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    This game is definitely a different beast than sts, even if it shares some of the same DNA - i think superstar sts players will find this game to be easier/cheesier, but have more runs/conditions where you feel like you couldn't puzzle out a win with what you were given (at the very high difficulties). On normal & low cov, it is a markedly easier game, though, imo.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I just love the sounds morsels make

• Options
    edited June 2020
    You can also hit the endgame win condition really incredibly super early. Like in the situation here, what happened is that the relic I started with automatically summons 4 dudes from my deck to the middle floor for free at the start of battle. The first unit I was able to pick was a giant beefy dude with a huge summoning cost that you're not normally able to summon without the help of other energy generating cards or just being later in the run. Since I had so few units at that point, it was guaranteed to be summoned for free and was basically a free pass through the first boss. I enhanced it a couple times, and hit every card duplicator I could find, while removing almost all the other crap units, which meant I was summoning 3-4 ridiculously powerful units at waaay the fuck over the capacity of the floor, so by the time I hit the second boss, the middle floor was just a fucking massacre zone.

It was similar to this. Watch to ~12 minutes. It's a completely normal run, and then at 12 minutes, right before the first boss, with that relic and event, the bottom falls out of the run completely and it's basically over and won right then and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpauslYSRTY

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif