As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    From Goonhammer:
    Finally, we should mention Infiltrators. With 9th’s heavy emphasis on early holding of objectives, Infiltrators – despite going up to a meaty 24pts – become even more valuable than before. They’re great for pushing out into midfield to take those points early on, are able to give themselves -1 to hit to protect them from incidental fire, and with the new smaller board sizes their anti-deep strike aura becomes even more valuable – particularly when units are going to want to come out of Strategic Reserves. If you’re looking for a similar thing on a budget, Incursors do most of the same work, but of course they don’t bring that oh so aggravating aura.

This might explain GW's logic in bumping Aberrants to an absurd 32pts each minumum? They're 2 wound infantry that can deploy anywhere on the table on turn 1.

However, they're not built for holding (melee only, bad save), they're meant to hit things hard in melee and last a bit longer than Acolytes/Metamorphs/Purestrains. So maybe GW is a blanket cost boost to multiwound infantry that can do any sort of deep strike turn 1?

Time to build my Infiltrators from Shadow Spear I guess. So many troop options now, between my Intercessors, Assault Intercessors and Infilitrators.

I wonder if the Heavy Intercessors people gleaned from the teaser video are going to be troops or something else.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    New starter sets revealed

Recruit
    by4sqbbcof5q.png

Elite
    8q376yq5ijsg.png

Command
    14q5adbmb4m9.png

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I feel like they missed a trick, putting the Overlord/Captain sprue in the Elite edition instead of the Royal Warden/Lieutenant; would make the Command box much more command-y if it was the only one with the actual army commanders, plus then you can buy all three and not end up with two generals per side.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And the recruit edition box kinda works better as a terrain piece than the elite box

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    And the recruit edition box kinda works better as a terrain piece than the elite box

It just looks like its two cardboard boxes in the elite box, with one in the recruit one?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    From Goonhammer:
    Finally, we should mention Infiltrators. With 9th’s heavy emphasis on early holding of objectives, Infiltrators – despite going up to a meaty 24pts – become even more valuable than before. They’re great for pushing out into midfield to take those points early on, are able to give themselves -1 to hit to protect them from incidental fire, and with the new smaller board sizes their anti-deep strike aura becomes even more valuable – particularly when units are going to want to come out of Strategic Reserves. If you’re looking for a similar thing on a budget, Incursors do most of the same work, but of course they don’t bring that oh so aggravating aura.

This might explain GW's logic in bumping Aberrants to an absurd 32pts each minumum? They're 2 wound infantry that can deploy anywhere on the table on turn 1.

However, they're not built for holding (melee only, bad save), they're meant to hit things hard in melee and last a bit longer than Acolytes/Metamorphs/Purestrains. So maybe GW is a blanket cost boost to multiwound infantry that can do any sort of deep strike turn 1?

Time to build my Infiltrators from Shadow Spear I guess. So many troop options now, between my Intercessors, Assault Intercessors and Infilitrators.

I wonder if the Heavy Intercessors people gleaned from the teaser video are going to be troops or something else.

I think the pic where that showed up actually had heavy intercessors listed in the troop section.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Elite and Command coming with the same models but added terrain/rule book is interesting. I've been wondering if they'd ever do a starter set with terrain in it again.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    I had zero intention of buying CA 2020, as I don't really think paper copies of points and a rules reprint are worth the cash, even if it includes 18 new missions.

But I saw a copy in my LGS today when I stopped in to grab a paint and ended up grabbing it. I didn't realize it's a tiny ringbound tome and the portability factor swayed me.

(paintbrush for scale)

wk9c2g2gltoc.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Psychic Awakening FAQs are out

Hilariously, very nearly every unit in Space Wolves now has ObSec, officially, for no discernible reason

One day I'll understand why GW doesn't have a tech writer on staff, but today is not that day

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I got my Genestealer Hybrids from Overkill, and I'm kind of annoyed at the basic Acolytes you can make in the box. There's no real motion to them, they're all torso and head forward, autopistol arm pointing up, Rending Claw and Cultist Knife in the same one arm up, one arm down pose.

The Hybrids from Overkill are all in unique poses, with some twisting sideways, , one defending with his knife, one with 2 knives, etc. I immediately went and found someone selling the Hybrids and bought a second set, and I'll use the boxes to mostly make leaders, heavy mining weapons and icons.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a small genestealer army from basically overkill, kill team and tooth n claw
    It was a discussion about what to do with all the armies we end up with as parts of starters and other games. I felt just playing them for smaller games for something different as reselling them does have various perils

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a small genestealer army from basically overkill, kill team and tooth n claw
    It was a discussion about what to do with all the armies we end up with as parts of starters and other games. I felt just playing them for smaller games for something different as reselling them does have various perils

I picked up a copy of Know No Fear for a decent price the other day (I sold the Gravis Captain from it to knock the price down a little bit since I didn't need two of them, I just wanted some more Intercessors and Hellblasters), so between that and Indomitus I now have a handful of Necron and Death Guard models.

I think they'll come in handy since I'm trying to get in more small games due to the difficulty of matching up schedules with other people, and it'll be a lot easier to limit myself while making a 500 point list or whatever since I won't have thousands upon thousands of points in Imperial stuff or Orks to try and choose from.

• Options
    So thinking about the new Gladiator tank, there's no way it has the Aquilon Optics right? If ~150'ish point tank ends up with Aquilon Optics on it's laser destroyer, I am going to be fuming angry. There has to be a reason to take the more expensive Repulsor Executioner, beyond just the piddly transport capacity.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So thinking about the new Gladiator tank, there's no way it has the Aquilon Optics right? If ~150'ish point tank ends up with Aquilon Optics on it's laser destroyer, I am going to be fuming angry. There has to be a reason to take the more expensive Repulsor Executioner, beyond just the piddly transport capacity.

I dunno if it’s on an impulsor stateline without the 4++ then it’s fairly fragile.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Repulsor Executioners don't get an invuln save. Even at 16w they get shot off the table very fast. They are the definition of glass cannon. Yeah, with good rolls their main gun can output 24 wounds a turn, but I haven't played a game with mine yet where they weren't target number 1.

To be clear, the transport capacity isn't useless. I use them to deliver Aggressors to objectives and they are very good for that....but it's not double the cost worth it. If the Gladiator can double shoot, I'd be better dropping my Executioners, running three Gladiators and then just a regular Repulsor to deliver my aggressors.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Has the points cost for the Gladiator been revealed?

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Has anything besides its picture been revealed?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I figure the gladiators are flying predators.

Turret choices plus a big gun. T7 and like 12 wounds.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm definitely speculating about the points, which is why I said 150'ish points. Just taking the cost of the Impulsor hull + heavy laser destroyer, with some 9th edition padding, it could be anywhere from 120-150 points. My guess is closer to 150 with the 9th edition tax.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So putting together the Necron HQs, trashcans, and destroyers without glue has been pretty nice and easy.

The warriors are not easy though, definitely gonna need glue.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I'm definitely speculating about the points, which is why I said 150'ish points. Just taking the cost of the Impulsor hull + heavy laser destroyer, with some 9th edition padding, it could be anywhere from 120-150 points. My guess is closer to 150 with the 9th edition tax.

Yeah it seems weapons are twin las-talons with multi-meltas or twin onslaughts with looks like what mini hurricane bolters? And the last one is is the lasdestroyer with twinlinked heavy bolters?

I would say probably 160-190 depending on the load out but with T7 12W with a 3+. Actually I would say it is going to be 180-190 pts since a Pred with lascannons is 170 points.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yeah it seems weapons are twin las-talons with multi-meltas or twin onslaughts with looks like what mini hurricane bolters? And the last one is is the lasdestroyer with twinlinked heavy bolters?

I would say probably 160-190 depending on the load out but with T7 12W with a 3+. Actually I would say it is going to be 180-190 pts since a Pred with lascannons is 170 points.

Good point, I didn't consider the sponson weapons. I wonder if you'll be able to put the invuln dome on them or if that remains just for the Impulsor.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Good point, I didn't consider the sponson weapons. I wonder if you'll be able to put the invuln dome on them or if that remains just for the Impulsor.

I don't think so. The dome goes where the turret would.

s-l300.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Played my first match of 9th tonight... Played Ransack at 1k points. The new rules are fantastic, the smaller board means action happens immediately and constantly. We only took the mission specific secondary plus another chosen secondary just to keep things simple.

My only complaint is my buddy who I'd suggested to that we bring some soft lists to try things out. My primarily dark imperium death guard plus a couple of hellbrutes vs his grey knights.

Jackass brought a strike squad, a termy squad, paladins, a ven dread, a librarian and a dreadknight grandmaster.

Needless to say I was tabled by turn four and didn't really get to play the objective as much as just try to fend of that stupid dreadknight the whole match. Lacking any serious anti-tank the loss was a forgone conclusion and the match ended 29-51 for him. I was a little ticked, but he hasn't beaten me for a while so I guess I can't be that upset.

I now know what he considers a "soft" GK list, so next match will be interesting.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Are the missions from the PA books in 9th or the open war cards?
    I want to try a few out of the Blood of the phoenix book I know the ideal is the same as I do want to try out the dog fight/flying one

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I really dislike the this is how to you expand your army videos/articles as many of them just say this is the only way you should play your army no expectations!
    The GW one today about the necrons. I have a bunch of Lychguard and have used them as bodyguards to holding objectives
    I do not have any ghost arks and was trying to get them and a few other of the larger necron things to round out my army [it's tons of warriors I have a bunch of immortals and destroyers} So over to Gw's site everything but Illuminor Szeras and the Overlord are out of stock. I do plan on getting the new codex of them to find out more about the new destroyers that new heavy looks like it will be a magnet for fire after a few games

Still I am curious if they really will do a unbound C'tan model separate from the Tesseract Vault. If they going to do new models of the deceiver and nightbringer

Also the basic warrior box is gone now from Gw's site I really don't need more warriors and will use the new ones with the different rifle

Brainleech on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Stock is very hit and miss at the moment. Covid is giving their supply lines a lot of trouble. About 60% of their whole range is out of stock in Australia, some ranges worse than others.

Considering the popularity of Indomitus, I'm guessing the remaining Necron stock was quickly snapped up by impatient gamers.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Stragint wrote: »
    So putting together the Necron HQs, trashcans, and destroyers without glue has been pretty nice and easy.

Really. I’d have said nearly the opposite. I just finished putting the warriors together last night, not a drop of glue. The Skorpekh guys though; their faces keep falling off so imma glue those at least.

Edit: bonus; the murder buckets? Their arms are interchangeable so if you have multiple sets you won’t necessarily have them all the same. Similarly, the little rock pieces under the scarab swarms are also swappable.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Do weapon ranges still matter much with the new board sizes? (And Primaris pistols going to 18" on a smaller board)

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Do weapon ranges still matter much with the new board sizes? (And Primaris pistols going to 18" on a smaller board)

I thought ranges were fixed no matter the table size this has been a ideal since rogue trader era

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So all of my doomsday arks had the gauss flayers upside. I only built one of them, the other two were off of ebay. I tried to fix it but it was a pain and things broke so I said fuck it and cut all of the gauss flayers off cause fuck that nonsense and I really disliked the upside down look.

What I am gonna do is try to see if I can find any where that sells acrylic rods at varying lengths at the right diameter and slide those into the sides so there aren't just empty holes there.

Anyone know of a place that I might be able to find something like that at?
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Really. I’d have said nearly the opposite. I just finished putting the warriors together last night, not a drop of glue. The Skorpekh guys though; their faces keep falling off so imma glue those at least.

Edit: bonus; the murder buckets? Their arms are interchangeable so if you have multiple sets you won’t necessarily have them all the same. Similarly, the little rock pieces under the scarab swarms are also swappable.

I'll definitely need to swap some of those arms around.

THe only skorpekh I had trouble with was the HQ, his chest piece wouldn't go flush at the top at all so I had to glue that down but everything else was fine.

The warriors face was actually the issue I had, it just would not stick down for some reason. And the arms, those arms were annoying as hell trying to get the armor plate in behind the gun. I kept nudging the arms out.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I'll definitely need to swap some of those arms around.

THe only skorpekh I had trouble with was the HQ, his chest piece wouldn't go flush at the top at all so I had to glue that down but everything else was fine.

The warriors face was actually the issue I had, it just would not stick down for some reason. And the arms, those arms were annoying as hell trying to get the armor plate in behind the gun. I kept nudging the arms out.

I give you the chest pieces being annoying to fit behind the guns but once the left arm pegs are in place it should take actual effort to pull out, surely?
    The faces though, they’re paired with the bodies so you need to pay attention to the part numbers, plus their little spikes on the back of the face piece engage with the splines on the skull so they only fit right in one orientation.

Also, pro tip for anyone who hasn’t built the Skorpekh dudes yet; assemble the legs first, starting with the rear leg. The build order in the book is… not ideal.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    My only very tiny annoyance with Indomitus has been the Assault Intercessor Sergeant.

I built mine with a helmet because I hate helmet-less marines, but to do that I had to carve the extra helmet off of the belt/thigh plate.

I said screw it and just let the second sergeant have a Heavy Bolt Pistol instead.

It's a super minor annoyance because it was very cool that they made it so you could make either two 5-man squads or one 10-man squad.

As far as pushfit with no glue, only one of the Bladeguard felt like he wasn't going to stay together without, almost all of the rest felt very strongly held together without glue.

• Options
    I agree I don't like the look of the Phobos capt I did trade with my brother for a reiver helm for the LT out of shadowspear so he gets a helm [And looks cooler}
    Swaping heads to get the reiver helm as the Capt has one in a hard to get to spot on his right side so I can continue to crave up my hand or figure out something else

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So all of my doomsday arks had the gauss flayers upside. I only built one of them, the other two were off of ebay. I tried to fix it but it was a pain and things broke so I said fuck it and cut all of the gauss flayers off cause fuck that nonsense and I really disliked the upside down look.

What I am gonna do is try to see if I can find any where that sells acrylic rods at varying lengths at the right diameter and slide those into the sides so there aren't just empty holes there.

Anyone know of a place that I might be able to find something like that at?

Plastruct sells fluorescent colored acrylic rod in a variety of diameters, but you'll neet to cut them down to the lengths you need and polish them after cutting. There are likewise sellers on eBay, but you run into the same problem. How deep are the holes?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Played my first match of 9th tonight... Played Ransack at 1k points. The new rules are fantastic, the smaller board means action happens immediately and constantly. We only took the mission specific secondary plus another chosen secondary just to keep things simple.

My only complaint is my buddy who I'd suggested to that we bring some soft lists to try things out. My primarily dark imperium death guard plus a couple of hellbrutes vs his grey knights.

Jackass brought a strike squad, a termy squad, paladins, a ven dread, a librarian and a dreadknight grandmaster.

Needless to say I was tabled by turn four and didn't really get to play the objective as much as just try to fend of that stupid dreadknight the whole match. Lacking any serious anti-tank the loss was a forgone conclusion and the match ended 29-51 for him. I was a little ticked, but he hasn't beaten me for a while so I guess I can't be that upset.

I now know what he considers a "soft" GK list, so next match will be interesting.
    Rough, but yeah, sometimes you have to let the buddy who loses a lot just win a match and shrug it off. Keep 'em happy sometimes :).

Btw, Helbrutes with the twin las and missile launchers are fun, especially when you can give them Disgustingly Resilient now :). Mine actually survived a smash captain due to it and then used the stratagems to blow him off the table during my turn.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Played my first match of 9th today. The rules are great and the board size means the action happens way faster.
    Nealneal wrote: »
    My only very tiny annoyance with Indomitus has been the Assault Intercessor Sergeant.

I built mine with a helmet because I hate helmet-less marines, but to do that I had to carve the extra helmet off of the belt/thigh plate.

I said screw it and just let the second sergeant have a Heavy Bolt Pistol instead.

It's a super minor annoyance because it was very cool that they made it so you could make either two 5-man squads or one 10-man squad.

As far as pushfit with no glue, only one of the Bladeguard felt like he wasn't going to stay together without, almost all of the rest felt very strongly held together without glue.

I slapped together the first of my two sets of bladeguard and eradicators last night. Both great kits.

All the running mini's I've built that are posed on a single toe of one foot that I've had to lean against stuff while glue dries.... From building this kit, I'm totally cool if GW wants to at pegs to the bottoms of feet on every mini they make so they lock into the bases.

The only downside to these kits so far is that my Space wolves which were >50% painted are now definitely well below half painted again :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Rough, but yeah, sometimes you have to let the buddy who loses a lot just win a match and shrug it off. Keep 'em happy sometimes :).

Btw, Helbrutes with the twin las and missile launchers are fun, especially when you can give them Disgustingly Resilient now :). Mine actually survived a smash captain due to it and then used the stratagems to blow him off the table during my turn.

I had given both hellbrutes DG, which was a bit spendy considering only starting with 6cp. One lasted quite a while against his paladins and took quite a few hits to finally kill with his ven dread.

The other got mashed in two rounds of combat vs the dreadknight. It made enough saves the first round to stay in the fight, but missed three the second resulting in 14 damage from the dreadknight and just couldn't roll hot enough on it's DG rolls.

Unless I made a mistake with the rules, which I don't think I did, the foul blightspawns fight last aura will be super powerful going forward.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I had given both hellbrutes DG, which was a bit spendy considering only starting with 6cp. One lasted quite a while against his paladins and took quite a few hits to finally kill with his ven dread.

The other got mashed in two rounds of combat vs the dreadknight. It made enough saves the first round to stay in the fight, but missed three the second resulting in 14 damage from the dreadknight and just couldn't roll hot enough on it's DG rolls.

That's still much better than what they used to do! And yeah, it's spendy, but since we get 1 CP back every command phase, it feels appropriate to do. It feels Death Guard really wants you to burn those CP pre-game....depending on the list, anyways.

The Smash Captain died to my Helbrute because my Helbrute didn't move (locked in melee), so I used the stratagem to have it fire twice at the closest target (smash captain) and then the stratagem that has it able to reroll all hit rolls. Even the -1 to hit didn't hurt, then, since it's still essentially four lascannon shots and two krak missiles into the bastard....rerolling.
    Unless I made a mistake with the rules, which I don't think I did, the foul blightspawns fight last aura will be super powerful going forward.
    It is. We realized this as the game went on, especially as my opponent was Blood Angels. He charged in, but due to where the Foul Blightspawn was....yeah Typhus can wreck someone before they even get an attack off....and DG have a lot of people who can hurt in melee now.

I didn't capitalize on it properly, but I can imagine a properly built list using the Foul Blightspawns....not to mention they wreck on their own, anyways.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    For people with multiples of the Necron half of Indomitus, the list of swappable builds grows:
    • murder bucket arms
    • scarab tactical rocks
    • Skorpekh legs (any leg assembly can fit any of the three torsos, get some interesting poses)