As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Painting all these admech troops has me seriously wishing I'd just done pure knights

Demonstrate your devotion to the Omnissiah, coward

(For real I painted 2000pts of AdMech a year and a half ago for a tournament over the course of, like, two weeks. If you have a ton of Skittari to get through it is just... A Lot, and there aren't really any shortcuts.)

uH3IcEi.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Got to see a fairly comprehensive DG leak...

Typhus does not add models to poxs, he does bump their str though.

Neat codex overall with some interesting rules... A lot of stuff around leveraging the new contagion abilities. They've added a bunch of data sheets for things like predators and base sorcerers and Lords so they don't have to share anything with the CSM codex. The Lord of contagion finally has a baked in reroll one aura which is nice. Daemon engines are hitting 3+ across the board it looks like.

Good overall. Nothing that really blew my socks off but a cool looking book

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    agree, for the most part it looks like a decently strong without being overpowered book.

Right until you get to Mortarion who has 4 Warlord traits and is just a beast at everything now.
    I mean it is nice to see a primarch that lives up to the title for once, but DAMN SON. I would be surprised if he does not get a point bump pretty quickly.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    There's lots of hubbub over how you can't kill him in one turn now, but.... He's a primarch. You shouldn't be able to one shot a quarter of an army in one round of shooting or whatnot. He also still has to get up the board.

I'm curious to see how he plays out for a few months before they do anything to him... I think given his point cost he's probably not far off where he should be

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Morty seems a beast with how you can combine plagues with him (9" bubble) and stuff like turning off rerolls aura. He can still get the -1 to hit power on him too. He is a beast. And almost everyone I have seen talk about him have him as straight up competitive. Very much on the level or better than Ghaz or the Silent King. Truly earns the scariest model on the board. The -1 damage base plus 5+++ plus still being tough as hell at T8 with his decent saves makes him a hard nut to crack.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Everyone gnashing their teeth online about how tough morty is now forgets that he sucked in 8th. Unless you were running him with a CSM detachment for Warp Time, he was destroyed by Turn 2 having failed to make back his points. And, if you did run them with the CSM detachment, it added like +200 points to their cost between the Sorcerer and cultists.

Since the new DG codex pushes mono-detachment building, they had to do something to make him viable.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Everyone gnashing their teeth online about how tough morty is now forgets that he sucked in 8th. Unless you were running him with a CSM detachment for Warp Time, he was destroyed by Turn 2 having failed to make back his points. And, if you did run them with the CSM detachment, it added like +200 points to their cost between the Sorcerer and cultists.

Since the new DG codex pushes mono-detachment building, they had to do something to make him viable.

Exactly. If you go first you've got two shooting phases to kill him in before he gets to you. Call me crazy, but taking out 25% of your opponents army shouldn't be trivial. He's very good, but you have the time to whittle him down.

There's also something a lot of people are missing with using him. The internet might cry he's "undercosted" but everything in the DG book is very, very expensive. Plague marines are good, but they're 105 points for five with no upgrades. If you take Morty, and a single battalion, you're looking at easily 900+ points on 18 models. That is a tough prospect in 9th missions. A unit of ten terminators is the same price as him roughly.

One model does not an army make.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2021
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »

Exactly. If you go first you've got two shooting phases to kill him in before he gets to you. Call me crazy, but taking out 25% of your opponents army shouldn't be trivial. He's very good, but you have the time to whittle him down.

There's also something a lot of people are missing with using him. The internet might cry he's "undercosted" but everything in the DG book is very, very expensive. Plague marines are good, but they're 105 points for five with no upgrades. If you take Morty, and a single battalion, you're looking at easily 900+ points on 18 models. That is a tough prospect in 9th missions. A unit of ten terminators is the same price as him roughly.

One model does not an army make.

I'm also not sure they're undercosted, either. Investing 25% of your points into a single, albeit very strong model is as much of a threat as it is a liability. You can play around him with smart movement - his base is very large and denying him access to priority targets is going to be easier than people think.

As an aside, I've never loved putting this many points into a single model/unit. Generally, anything above 250 feels like a huge risk as it will need to kill several units to make points back and most units can't tank an entire army's worth of firepower. Morty can, but not for an entire game.

Vanguard on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I think the DG stuff looks strong overall. Some of the Contagions look like a pain in the ass to be on the receiving end of, esp. the one that reduces your movement.

Seeing 9th Ed-style rule writing applied to Chaos has me cautiously optimistic for the CSM book.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    I think one of the bigger things with Morty isn't just his beat stickness is that fact he has an amazing large dangerous aura. Cutting movement in half for example is powerful. The fact it it is a basic -1 to toughness as well. Just a massive debuffing monster. Also he has a chapter master reroll he can put on folks. Arch contaminator is not just great still it is better than it use to be. I see him being a more powerful tool box than just a beat stick.

I mean you can still fit him, some pox walkers, some plague marines, and a good chunk of termis in a single list or plague burstcrawlers or drones or.... I think you are playing an elite army but also one that innately counters the anti-marine meta. 2w plague marines are great since they are still taking 2 shots from 2 damage weapons with the built in -1 damage. I do think the custodes descriptor is the best one for DG. They will take the middle of the board and force you to deal with them on their terms. And it will be a hard army to move even when it isn't being super killy.

u7stthr17eud.png
    In other news I may have been a bit e-bay happy and I have a painted Cawl coming soon and just got my indomitus half. So much cutting.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Covid hasn't really slowed down my collecting, and has lead to more time painting, but it has stymied my ability to play with some of my armies meaning my last match against my buddy (physically distanced) was with my largely unplayed Daemons.

This week was with my "have never played them" dread host.

We played the relic mission at 50pl from the core crusade content. Defender has half the board to deploy, middle of their deployment is a point with a 3" radius that the defenders warlord can perform actions in for 10vp per turn. Four objective markers with 10vp for hold two and 10vp for hold more. Attacker nets 30vp for killing the defenders warlord. Deployed from short edges of the board.
    The board was fairly terrain dense on the sides with lots of -1 to hit terrain and three big obscuring pieces with a bit of a roadway straight up the middle of the board.
    He had: two warrior blobs, destroyer lord, 6x destroyers, Triarch stalker, royal warden, hexmark destroyer. Custom faction with the 6" pregame move and -1T aura.
    I had: Jetbike cap, Allarus Cap, 5 Sagitarium (sp?) guard, Melee/shooty telemon, 3x allarus termies (deepstriking).
    My list was pretty hard I think, but in context he'd told me he wanted to try his new C'tan shard and triarch stalker at 50pl and then changed it up at the last minute.

He rolled defender and made a massive mistake right off the bat that neither of us picked up on. His warden and destroyer lord are both LD10 and either could have been declared as his warlord and parked on the ritual site but he picked his destroyer by default hampering his offense quite a bit.

He deployed very aggressively and I deployed very conservatively, so turn one I either had to sit and soak his turn one in cover and possibly eat a charge from his destroyers (6" pregame move is a big deal on the smaller boards), or get stuck in and try for some turn one charges myself.... this failed. My Sags advanced into range of the two objective markers on my side of the board totally in the open. The telemon and Allarus Cap moved from behind cover into a 7" charge range and shot everything into the leading warrior blob. Bike Cap zoomed up the right side of the board to threaten his screened triarch stalker and shot the same warrior blob. The Sags did the same. Some very average shooting and some pretty good saves/rez protocals meant I didn't kill all twenty but I was saving my CP for some defensive shenanigans and a swooping dive turn 2. I was also counting on some solid charges and consolidations getting me into fighting range as well. This also failed.

Allarus cap failed a 7" charge then got stuck in with the warriors completely unsupported with a CP reroll.
    Telemon failed a 8" charge
    Biker cap failed about a 7.5 inch charge with his reroll.

Just..... not good. BUT... things turned around a bit in his turn.

His turn his destroyers moved up to threaten the Cap, telemon and Sags but could realistically only hit one of the three as they were too spread for a multi charge. He could have tried for an 8-9 inch charge against the sags around the telemon but played it save and only needed a 4 to get into range to smash up my telemon and pulled off an 8" charge after crusade traits. My Cap was in range to try a tanglefoot grenade but statistically shouldn't be able to make a difference. After about a full minute of debating and explaining the strat to my buddy (he's never played vs custodes and it was my first game with them) I literally said "aw fuck it, lets see what happens" and just tossed the dice I'd been holding onto the middle of the board.... rolling a six, netting him a 2" charge, and leaving his destroyers extremely exposed. The rest of his turn chipped 6/7 wounds from the allarus cap and 3 wounds off the biker cap. To kick a guy while he's down my biker cap used a Swooping Dive and stomped on his triarch stalker a bit before zooming back out of combat and into cover with his Shield Captain Trait, cutting the stalker to about half health.

My turn two my allarus dove in, used their dread host strat to roll 3d6 to charge and pick the best two, netting them a 4 with the best two dice *ugh*. It didn't matter much though. The sags chipped more wounds off of stuff, the telemon shot four destroyers off the board and punched the last two to death. The allarus cap at one wound finished the warriors and consolidated to threaten the warden hiding behind and the bike cap finished the triarch stalker.

The Allarus cap was shot to death by his emerging hexmark destroyer, leaving my biker cap out front by himself. Seeing that things were going pear shaped my opponent moved his D-Lord off the objective and got in range of the bike cap with a solid charge but failed to inflict a single wound with poor hit/wound rolls and my excellent saving throws.

Turn three had more shooting up the middle lane at the second warrior blob and a few wounds chipped from the D-Lord. Charges from the telemon and Biker Cap absolutely smashed the D-lord and Warden respectively. After that it was just mop-up with the telemon killing the last of the warriors and bike cap melta-missling the hexmark to oblivion.

We had our usual post game play by play and rolled out a few things to see what six destroyers would have done to the telemon (a shitload more than two did) with my buddy figuring a charge into the sags would have stripped me of two objectives held and would have left my telemon in a harder position of clearing objectives or moving up the board to assist the bike cap and allarus. The 6" reduction from the tanglefoot grenade was probably the biggest turning point in the game. Some good and bad rolls had things swing back and forth a bit but that one roll really determined the pace of the rest of the match. He's never been able to leverage his destroyers much, but has realized they're probably better played as a counter-charge unit once I've committed.

I think things would have been a lot more even throughout the game had that tanglefoot failed, but as my opponent said "it's a dice game".

Tons of fun with Custodes… it's so nice having a bunch of character grade models on the board and being able to fit my entire army in a small toolkit to take to his carport.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    So the actual outrider box is easy build too. So molded shoulder pads. No amount of cutting will really work to fit Deathwatch shoulder pads on them. Just frustrating.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So the actual outrider box is easy build too. So molded shoulder pads. No amount of cutting will really work to fit Deathwatch shoulder pads on them. Just frustrating.

You just have to keep trimming. It doesn't matter how ugly it looks, you're gonna slap another shoulderpad on top of it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm, sororitas are getting a dreadknight. It looks very spindly.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Holy mechsuit batman! Literally.
    sg0hk7vdo7ry.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Russian dolls need to stop being used an inspiration for new units.

Look, it’s simple, the SoB heard that the Tau were the most anime army and said “hold my promethium, heretic.”

edited January 2021
    And now the Warmaster (Titan) stomps into view!
    9jpdzmudb40b.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think I actually hate that new Sisters unit?

That Titan is a big boy.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, they're finally releasing the Heavy Intercessors and the Heavy Bolt Rifle Cappy!

As part of the new KT box...

Which also contains the new Chronomancer for Necrons and... Flayed Ones?!
    Burnage wrote: »

It's so goofy-looking, how can you hate that thing? It's like the Sororitas Centurion!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

It's so goofy-looking, how can you hate that thing? It's like the Sororitas Centurion!

It's like the Sororitas Centurion!

Elaro wrote: »
    Hey, they're finally releasing the Heavy Intercessors and the Heavy Bolt Rifle Cappy!

As part of the new KT box...

Which also contains the new Chronomancer for Necrons and... Flayed Ones?!

That killteam box seems a bit unfair for the necrons. Even if the board is dungeon style.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I like the new kill team box being dungeon like I have hope they will do a tyranid one {it would be neat to do a tyranid ship raid as everyone has a different point in doing it}

The book in it I am curious about as I feel they asume you have necrons warriors or such to play missions but I am very curious about it can I run other races other than space marines in it and so on
    The sad part about the Heavy intercessors is it will be a fight for them

Brainleech on
    Sister got baby carriages now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sister got baby carriages now.

Shhhh!

Children's rights are human rights.
    This guy would make an amazing inquisitor though.

bnhfjTpabBnJ6r9F.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
    Reading through the Infinite and the Divine and, much as everyone else has said, it's an excellent book. I'd expected a shorter less fulsome story like a lot of Xenos stuff is, but this is a really well fleshed out book.

I also love the idea of Necrons telecommunicating with emojis/glyphs. No spoilers, so not spoilered.

"And of course, there’s that, he signalled, ending the message with a glyph indicating wry amusement."

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I just noticed the cracking on that guy’s leatherwork. Dang that’s gonna be a doozy of a video tutorial….

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lol they have to know the gk dreadknight is a meme

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Sororitas most severe punishment: strapped to the front of a robot.

Sororitas most glorious reward:
    Strapped to the front of a robot.

For some reason I kinda like these better than the dread knight.

I think the pilot is better integrated? You see only the arms and the head of the pilot. The arm armour could actually be part of the exosuit so it doesn't look as much as a Russian doll as the dread knight.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda dig these things, I'd run a squad if I had a Sisters army, I think the baroque stylings are doing a lot of work to make it more imperial 40k compared to the dreadknight.

edited January 2021
    Judging by the teaser video it looks like the Sisters robutt walkers meant to be run as units and have some different weapon loadouts.

Also, I'm glad I split an indomitus box with a friend. Now we can split that Killteam box as well.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, there are some different. Poses visible, maybe a box of three? War Walker / killa Kan equivalent maybe. Two twinlinked heavy bolters, multi melta, power sword is a lot of offensive power for something in that weight class though. Or are that just storm bolters?

honovere on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I love the Dreadknights in m GK army and I love these Paragon suits for my Sisters.

Why yes, the other 40k army I have is Crisis Suit heavy Tau, how did you know...?

With the hoses running to the upper back and gun arm on the in thread pick, I'm guessing flamers on the shoulders? Might be some kind of bolters.

From the video, which I only watched once, I saw what looked like a heavy bolter gun arm on one and either a flamer/melta on another. Plus a mace and sword melee arm.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    honovere wrote: »
    Sororitas most severe punishment: strapped to the front of a robot.

Sororitas most glorious reward:
    Strapped to the front of a robot.

That does fit the Imperium perfectly

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Khraul wrote: »
    With the hoses running to the upper back and gun arm on the in thread pick, I'm guessing flamers on the shoulders? Might be some kind of bolters.

From the video, which I only watched once, I saw what looked like a heavy bolter gun arm on one and either a flamer/melta on another. Plus a mace and sword melee arm.

They're definitely bolters on the shoulders. You can make out the side holes in the nozzles and drum magazines in the back. And compared to arm mounted heavy bolters I'm going with storm bolter size.

There's also one suit in the video that has them replaced with missiles.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think a proper helmet to cover up the silly little lady head and those things would look pretty good. I'm not sure where her legs fit, but eh whatever!

website_header.jpg