As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: The Resurrection is at hand.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One thing that is really missing is that there's still no split between solo-queue and three-stack. Three mediocre players talking to each other and picking legends that complement each other will win most 3 v 3s.

The other question is how the experience will be in these dual ranked (With a hidden MMR and a shown rank) will be, because the thing that ultimately sucks the most is getting killed by people much better than you. This system seems to open the door to more uneven lobbies and tries to adjust the score system for it, but ultimately it's still really frustrating to get domed on every peek because you don't have the reaction time to fight the other player.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    schuss
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    But they do at least attempt to account for it.
    While matchmaking prioritizes creating matches with similar party builds (solos vs. solos, duo + solo vs. duos + solos, etc.), it is not always feasible to find 60 players of similar skill and party size within a reasonable amount of time. Inevitably, parties of different sizes and skills will be mixed together. To account for the competitive advantage gained as a premade squad, premade duos and trios effectively have small advantages that are added to their team’s MMR during matchmaking. This way the intensity and fairness of your experience will remain relatively the same whether you’re playing as a solo, duo, or trio.

They also note that "The new matchmaker does value match fairness more than its predecessor, so you may experience a small, but noticeable increase in queue times."

So trios will theoretically be placed in a lobby commiserate with that bump in coordination, so to completely pull an example out of my ass, maybe as a Silver III skill player/lobby, the trios you face might be more like players that are Silver IV or Bronze I: less individually skilled but placed in lobbies with other trios and smaller groupings of higher skilled players.

Or at least that's my read on things. Considering that they now have over 4 years worth of data to draw from, hopefully the MMR system doesn't need too much tweaking to get into a place where such disparities are accounted for, at least within a reasonable margin of error.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Their point was that it was already very unbalanced as RP was more related to time in than skill, so there were plenty of highly skilled low ranked folks.

edited May 4
    And hey, as a gold tier player to dabbles in platinum lobbies occasionally, I would love to see fewer former Diamonds, Masters, and even Predators in my ranked matches.

Late edit: or if my squad manages to thrive in that kind of bullshit, to be compensated accordingly for it.

Forar on
    Satsumomo
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been pretty lukewarm on the last few new legends, they didn't really jive with how I like to play, but this guy's skills are fascinating and I will probably shell out the bucks for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOCG6ETQzI

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Played again yesterday. I found that the Prowler and Triple-take are completely busted, though it seems like people have picked up on the Prowler since it seems everyone's running it.

Oh and the Nemesis is also crazy good.

I am not surprised and yet also kinda surprised they didn’t nerf the nemesis.

Yes it just came out, but it’s so damned good.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    KC with this new ranked is wild. Everyone gears up in round 1 and then round 2 to finish is one long rolling fight most times. Just due to the map size and people trying to survive.. I just fought my way from Hydro to Containment, probably never more than 20s without shooting a gun.

mRahmani
    That sounds rad as hell. I've been waiting my customary few days of the new season to go to ranked, to let the people who are much better than me scoot on up, but I'm going to jump in tonight to see how it's going, and to try the new firing range because that looks fun by itself.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I think jumping in early is actually the thing to do this time. I’m still working on placement matches but they’ve felt pretty good so far, mostly people with similar mechanical skill to me where I can win if I outthink them. One win and a smattering of top 10s right now. I’m sure the lobbies will get harder as I rank up but this feels promising.

Got a decent amount of time this weekend to play, been having a blast with all the changes from the past 2 seasons I didn't play (and I've yet to play the new map).

Only things that need a nerf are the Nemesis and Ballistic's tactical, it's insane how OP it is in a 1v1 fight.

Ranked so far has felt very good, mostly intense matches and very often it's 6+ teams on the final ring. It's much slower than before though, people really are fighting for position.

The Nemesis still sucks, you're at a big disadvantage if you don't run it.

mRahmani
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I still prefer the R301 if available because I have a hard time making long-distance Nemmy shots, but yeah at mid-range the Nemmy is basically a Hemlok with a turbocharger

I'll sometimes take a two-burst potshot and suddenly see "140" damage pop up from that, and it's when I realize how dumb it is.

Also, if anyone doesn't know: you can keep the trigger held for that gun.

Cross posting from the CF thread, but in case anyone is interested, the Apex Legends Board Game kickstarter launched yesterday. It has been funded, and seems to be doing quite well for itself.

I'm just in for a buck, as I've got a lot of expenses to pay off in the latter half of the year (including 2 other KS's I'm eagerly awaiting), but in case anyone was interested I figured it was worth passing on a heads up.

cB557
    MMR based ranking has been a blessing so far.

I have played 15 or so hours this season and the vast majority of the matches have been balanced, it's been a while since I've experienced a wipe where the enemy team severely outclassed mine.

I see a lot of people complain about ratting, and that rank means nothing now, but I think that says a lot more about the MMR bracket they're in than the system actually promoting ratting. Yeah, it does reward that play style with rank, but all you'll get is more matches where everyone rats.

mRahmani
    I do wonder if they are going to do an emergency adjust to the ranks. We're going to end up with half the players in Diamond or higher if this stays for 90 days.

But I love the ranked matches itself.

I think the difference should be that the MMR should exist at he bottom, to quickly lift smurfs, cheaters, and people coming back from breaks.
    But it needs to be capped at the top.
    There shouldn't be a 'silver difficulty path to diamond' that exists now.
    I bet Respawn knows most of this, and is pressured by the sales team to make adjustments to keep playing though. So bars need to fill.

Satsumomo
    The other thing I thought about is this: if you're playing at pred level but you have bad placement matches, going from a low rank to pred would be so much harder.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    The other thing I thought about is this: if you're playing at pred level but you have bad placement matches, going from a low rank to pred would be so much harder.

Apparently there's a hidden "seed" based on prior rank that lets them gain super quick regardless of placement matches. It's how Sweet from NRG was able to get pred after 50 games without firing his gun

schuss on
    Ah that makes sense, I did see iTemp/Sooxfar do ranked (something they never do) and it was giving them 1.5k-3k per match, placed them in low platinum.

The whining on the subreddit has been immense.

The patch notes mentioned that the placement matches were effectively at an accelerated pace for gains and without an entry cost, and a developer responded to a post or tweet asking what would happen if someone highly ranked normally intentionally ranked all ten placement matches, so they’d be like a bronze with an mmr putting them in masters lobbies, and they said there was a system to prevent that from happening.

That might be what we’re seeing here, where all else being equal, people will drift towards their previous rank.

Of course it’s my understanding that the population of Masters has exploded again like it did back in S12, so either we’ll see a mid season tweak at some point or S18 is going to see the pendulum swing back again, harshly.

I usually watch/listen Apex content while working, and the one thing that has been common between all of them is how often they will say, "Oh man the Nemesis is so much FUN" in the most sarcastic tone possible.

I ran the care package Hemlock yesterday and noticed how similar it felt to the Nemesis, so I checked its stats and saw that they are pretty much the same. Crazy.

edited June 6
    The Hemlock has one major advantage to the Nemesis, you don’t need to charge it up for high DPS. It’s ready to go all the time. It can also poke at longer range, but the limited ammo capacity really limits that ability.

I don’t really understand why the nemesis has been allowed to stay in its current state, it’s super oppressive and the only weakness is high ammo consumption.

How are people feeling about ranked now that a few weeks have gone by? I’m in Plat 2 and slowly climbing. I think the rank levels are mostly just “how much did you grind” trophies this season, but the games themselves have been great.

mRahmani on
    Satsumomo
    Yup, I'm on Plat IV right now but I've been playing once or twice a week at most and it's exactly as you said, it's just a matter of how much you play.

And yes, the matches have been mostly really good. Just as confusing as them keeping the Nemesis in its current state, I don't understand why they don't simply do the same MMR-based matchmaking for pubs and keep the old rank-based matchmaking for ranked so everyone's happy.

I quit at D4 where my highest previous was P2, and in recent times hitting P4 had not been easy (Post S13 changes + general quality of play at the high end becoming way higher over time)

While anyone can grind it, being in lobbies with better players than you is deeply unfun. I was getting beamed and danced on almost every fight after I hit plat. And my weakness is my tracking and peeking, which I doubt will improve much over time anymore. Other players, the one that are tactically or strategically weak (By which I mean, your ability to position within fights, your timing of when to fight and to run, and your choices for rotation) are probably improving faster, since this system favors those kind of skills. I was leaning on my teammates more and more.
    Still, the points for a win are ludicrous, and sometimes you just have positional advantage and it all works out. And that's +400pts. I ended with a 0.75kp in ranked yet a 7% winrate.

I think that the MMR doesn't work as described, the lobby you play in is limited by your actual rank too.

I loved the games that it produced, but the scoring is bad. I would want something like Gold = 50%, Plat = 25%, Dia 10%, Masters 1%, Pred 0.01% ideally. This season will probably end with 35% dia 10% Masters

Respawn knows all this, but I bet the sales / engagement people won a fight that 'lines need to go up to make players feel good'

Satsumomo
    New season coming, story's starting to drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjujxoQP8Kk

The devs have some thoughts about ranked, tl;Dr they're going to try to fix it!

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/july-2023-ranked-dev-blog

If it’s anything like the last season everyone and their dog was in masters, I hope people are looking forward to being nowhere higher than Gold II.

:-P

I kid, I kid. I’m sure that won’t happen again.

Ahem. I am mostly confident that won’t happen again.

New collection event, with actual new gameplay stuff??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUY2MMRmLLM

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    https://youtu.be/SW5IAMcjUy4

This also doubles as the launch trailer for the upcoming season, Resurrection.

T5jzcVMh.jpg
    Revenant Reborn

A shattered mind fills Revenant with even more rage, bringing him a killer new look and deadly new abilities. Revenant is unlocked for all players all season; complete quests before the season ends to unlock him permanently.

Owenashi on
    Mortal SkyPeen
    I was wondering when we'd see a Revenant rebuild, wild to see it be the entire core of the next season but I say that in a tentatively good may

Peen
    I haven't played Apex since the update, anyone have an opinion on Rev's new kit? The rework seems very cool and I'm excited to try it but I know it's going to be what everyone's trying to do.

Seems like the consensus is that it's great to fight against right now, because people kinda think they're invincible during the ult and just throw themselves at 3v1s :P

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So is this Revenant stuff a balance pass with a narrative? Was their something wrong with his old kit?

Arteen wrote: »
    So is this Revenant stuff a balance pass with a narrative? Was their something wrong with his old kit?

His old kit was pretty much impossible to balance. If they increased the range, strategies like octane padding from a safe location were super strong and miserable to defend against, especially when there was no warning. But when people know it’s coming, they can just hold corners and delete the shadows, which makes it worthless.

I tried running him last week as a send off and while i was able to get an occasionally good totem push to 3rd party fights, he was really in a bad spot. Haven’t tried the update yet.

Arteen
    Having the Hemlok back in ground loot feels good, especially since 22 base damage feels like the heavy battle rifle it always should've been

Hemlok/CAR feels like an especially good combo right now

mRahmani
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I haven't played the BR mode basically all season
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

His old kit was pretty much impossible to balance. If they increased the range, strategies like octane padding from a safe location were super strong and miserable to defend against, especially when there was no warning. But when people know it’s coming, they can just hold corners and delete the shadows, which makes it worthless.

I tried running him last week as a send off and while i was able to get an occasionally good totem push to 3rd party fights, he was really in a bad spot. Haven’t tried the update yet.

He also had the downside of his ult only really being useful if you have good team communication, so it was sometimes more harm than good in random matches. Which isn't necessarily a horrible thing, plenty of legends are stronger or weaker in certain types of play, but I'd imagine it was probably a factor in a rework.
    I'm a little surprised they didn't give him any new skins beyond the one basic one, obviously they can't remove the old ones cos people have presumably paid actual money for them at some point, but I assumed there'd be a couple more gold skins for the new look or something.

I don't personally care that much about Revenant, but I do appreciate the idea of spending a whole system focusing around updating or reworking an existing character, rather than adding a new one, helps to keep the roster from ballooning too quickly, and lets them swing back to dangling narrative hooks without having to tie them in with the arrival of a new guy.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 10

What is there to Apex besides the main BR mode? I ask as someone who hasn't played in the longest time and wants to know how best to advance in the battle pass.

Owenashi on
    Owenashi wrote: »

What is there to Apex besides the main BR mode? I ask as someone who hasn't played in the longest time and wants to know how best to advance in the battle pass.

There is a “mixtape” mode that cycles between TDM, zone control, and gun game every 20 min or so. Most of the challenges to progress the battle pass can be completed in either mode.

Halos Nach TariffPeen