As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Some of the challenge types, dealing damage and scoring knockdowns, for example, are also much faster to complete in the non-BR modes too, obviously cos they're basically non-stop fighting, rather than having to wait and hope you get a decent BR match.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    So is this Revenant stuff a balance pass with a narrative? Was their something wrong with his old kit?

The stronger / popular legends tend to have an escape, which Revenant now has.

The old ult was too cumbersome really to support the team and when you got sent back to the totem, I always found it quite disorienting.

The new ult seems to charge up quite quickly.

PSN Fleety2009
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The charge rifle is my achilles heel in gun game, I can get on a decent roll but the charge rifle almost always stops me cold. It gives me an excuse to practice with it I guess but boy I suck.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The recent magazine nerf to the charge rifle sucked. I used to like using it but now I never pick it up.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Charge rifle rework is insane. I popped somebody for 170 to the head last night, single shot. This thing is a menace.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Well that'll teach me. I haven't played in a few weeks. I didn't realize it got a rework.

Charge rifle is now a projectile weapon with drop instead of being hitscan. It does a base damage of around 75 per shot, but that increases at longer ranges. It's tricky but super fun to use.

They changed the noise it makes too and it's very good.

Alright, about 90 games in this season and I am just getting annihilated. K/D of 0.9 in pubs, which is okay, and 0.6 in ranked. Dunno what they did to matchmaking but everybody I’m facing is just ridiculously better than me, especially in ranked.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    After about 33 ranked games my K/D is exactly 1, which is the highest it's ever been, but I'm also still only in Rookie II because the new point gain numbers are absolutely glacial and -50 per loss even at low levels is super punishing

I don't expect to literally be hard-stuck Rookie this season but I feel like it's going to take weeks to climb out of Bronze

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Alright, about 90 games in this season and I am just getting annihilated. K/D of 0.9 in pubs, which is okay, and 0.6 in ranked. Dunno what they did to matchmaking but everybody I’m facing is just ridiculously better than me, especially in ranked.

I think they've done some fairly heavy handed hidden MMR resets. My early games this season were against some opponents who were, for want of a better phrase, pretty bad.

Seems to be about right for me now, so hopefully everyone's MMR will be back to normal soon enough.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    On the non-BR side of things, I think that Core makes for a pretty bad map in both gun game and deathmatch, you're naturally funnelled into the central structure, cos there's not much to play around on the edges, but once you're in that central space there are limited options on where to go and it's easy to get pincered by respawning players moving back into the fight with no escape routes.

Production Factory in control mode, however, is extremely good fun, lots of interesting cover, multiple routes to the control zones, plays very well, worth checking out when it pops up in the rotation.

edited September 2023
    Perhaps not Apx news per say, but Titanfall 2 just got patched and seems to be playable.

As in I got in a game on the PS4 for the first time in years, had no connection issues or lag and I loved it. It said there were 2.7k playing as well.

Glorious.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    cB557mRahmaniPeen
    New season and new legend launches on Halloween! Apex continues to be the game I think about playing the most while actually playing it the least, I don't know where the rest of you are on it and I hope if you're still playing it that you're having fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-6DAcuPcg

cB557
    edited October 2023
    I still love the game but I feel like it doesn’t love me back. I am down to playing once or twice a week instead of playing an hour or two a night.

The matchmaking is brutal, I previously had right around a 1.0 k/d and this season I’m at 0.65. Just getting obliterated in every fight, it’s really not fun.

mRahmani on
    Yeah, I basically do not play the BR mode at all anymore, at least when there's I bump into someone who knows how to aim and move at the same time in the deathmatch-style modes I get to keep playing the match for a bit. (Though even then, in, say, gun run, it's extremely obvious when there's some sort of high level player on one of the teams and the game is over in ~2 minutes.)

I've no idea how they could do such a thing, and even less of an idea of how it could possibly be enforced, but I'd kill for some kinda casual/chill mode, maybe some sort of drop-in/drop-out BR without stat tracking/badge progression, idk. Maybe just stick anyone who knows how to tap strafe into their own little server where they can bounce rings around each other, or whatever.

mRahmani
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've seen a bunch of people complaining about the lobbies feeling ever harder, and I'm sure that the matchmaking changes they've made have contributed, but it's possible that a lot of the more casual players got fed up with being target practice for the more skilled folks and left, leaving a higher skill level on average to deal with?

I bowed out at the end of season 15, and while the Steam player charts show 16 and 17 as the most popular seasons since it launched back in season... 7(?), 18 and beyond has seen a considerable drop off.

Now, obviously this isn't the whole story, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume at least vaguely similar ebb and flow with other platforms?

I used to squeeze into Plat for the challenge for most of the seasons on my 3 year run with the game, but by 15 I was only hitting Gold I. Ostensibly being a middling skill player in lobbies with other actual middling skill players, instead of just prey for the various Diamonds/Masters/Predators chomping their way through my lobbies might have actually made for a better ranked experience, but I also ran into enough smurfs over the years to suspect it wouldn't have changed much.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That problem definitely exists, about a year ago Apex showed some numbers where they basically admitted the buckets they used screwed over the bottom 30% of player base, who would always end up target fodder.
    But on top of that the matchmaking has a feature where if you are doing bad as a middle player, every now and again it places you in a lower bucket so you get an easy game where you have a win. But that means that there's probably 2 or 3 teams in every lobby who are not supposed to be there, and they will mop up that lobby.
    And on top of that you have smurfing, I don't know what the current situation with that is, but it used to be quite popular to smurf and hotdrop and kill new players until the matchmaking picked up on your rank.

At the time Respawn promised they were changing it, but as far as I know they never said how or when they were changing things for non-ranked.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I haven't played in forever as eternal solo queue was just eating my soul. Couple that with the maintenance you need on m&k to stay less than even and I just stopped.

I only play two live service shooters but I'd love to know how others handle the whole "people who've played consistently since launch vs. new player skill gap issue," does it just exist the same way everywhere? It is the same thing in Overwatch and Counterstrike? I hear really similar complaints from the Destiny 2 community and the Apex community, is that just how it is in these games?*

*this is mostly a rhetorical question but if any of y'all have thoughts I'd love to hear them.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    A lot of my problem is just the impact aim assist has at my level (as I'm trash) as it's incredibly hard to win a lot of 1v1's or 1v2's without a shit ton of entry damage advantage as their tracking is going to be perfect.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I only play two live service shooters but I'd love to know how others handle the whole "people who've played consistently since launch vs. new player skill gap issue," does it just exist the same way everywhere? It is the same thing in Overwatch and Counterstrike? I hear really similar complaints from the Destiny 2 community and the Apex community, is that just how it is in these games?*

*this is mostly a rhetorical question but if any of y'all have thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Fortnite uses a ton of bots to make people feel good, and PubG copied that. Apex now has a tiny bot population below level 20 or so.
    Old games just ask you to suck it up.
    Those games ranked system are usually pure grind until you hit your skillcap I am not aware of any other big game using the "Grind rank + skill MMR" mix that Apex uses. Though other genres also use standing systems, where people that play poorly as a teammate get put with other terrible players.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I have to be in a certain mood / frame of mind to (it’s 99% solo) play a BR. There’s a certain level of anxiety of not wanting to make a mistake and ruin things for team mates.

I’m also quite aware of my skill level when it comes to fights, and I’m reasonably sure the game is not doing the best of jobs of who it is putting me up against.

Also it is not uncommon to get in games (even non-BR) where people leave or are just afk.

Ultimately though, TF2 became playable so I’ve gone back to playing that.

PSN Fleety2009
    edited October 2023
    New gameplay trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8QuG1kbAI

Edit: When I posted it I hadn't actually watched it yet but now that I have, what a good idea that new legend is. I don't know that she'll shake up the meta, who knows, but it could make playing solo more bearable for those of us that need to play a support role because our gun skill is ok at best.

Peen on
    Ok this is just the halloween zombies event reworked but whatever, I liked that event, I'll play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_RsVMAtgVc

mRahmani
    The LTMs have been pretty good this year. Valentines, Trick or Treat, and 3 Strikes all were excellent

Peen
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Ok so this is immensely silly but also giant sword so, win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67G_RUc_PJQ

KoopahTroopah
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Dope. The fact that the sword is a game mechanic and not just a cosmetic is awesome.

Peen
    Some fairly huge changes seem to be coming for Season 20 though the change list hasn't been officialized -- looks like armor, crafting, and abilities may all be totally shifting up and I'm very curious to see how much of the current round of semi-credible leaks actually come through. If nothing else the trailer is showing some new legend ability changes (essentially a perk path for each legend)

The trailer!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 5
    cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJZYWtnIFU

dev diary going over all the changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANdHbeGYA0

Shields are basically a level/experience system now and unlock perk choices as they upgrade, instead of swapping shields you take enemy shield cores (taking a shield core of a higher level than you've unlocked only gives you the benefits for 30 seconds, no more grabbing better shields off of enemies)

Crippl3 on
    I pulled this text breakdown from Reddit, there's a lot changing. 120hz on current gen consoles, let's goooooooooooo
    This is a preview of changes coming to Apex Legends in Season 20 "Breakout"

Don't take the words here literally as this isn't an official Respawn announcement, just my summary of the dev panel discussing these changes, so it may contain errors.

Major changes contain a ranked overhaul, overhaul of the armor system, introduction of a legend upgrade system tied into this, crafting overhaul, new LTM aiming to provide faster BR action, new mixtape mode and new original mixtape map and 120Hz update for newer gen consoles.

Ranked
    Respawn are making major changes to ranked. The ranked system for season 20 is probably closest to the system in place in season 12. Their goal is stated mainly as making ranked easier to understand and improve transparency. Player complaints have fueled this overhaul, particularly dissatisfaction with how kills are rewarded.

Matchmaking will no longer assemble lobbies by MMR but by RP (i.e. your rank - and points are called RP again within this system), however in a more granular / less rigid form than in the past, where it doesn't put all people from the same rank into one bucket, but will match you with players around the same RP as you (possibly across rank boundaries), provided enough of them are queueing at the time. If there's not enough people queuing the RP range the matchmaker is picking from will gradually be increased to keep queue times low. Larger rank discrepancies should be due to low population only.

Full reset of everyone to ~0RP. There's no provisional matches or similar. Everyone starts at the bottom regardless of previous ranks.

A mid season split is reintroduced where you are reset 6 tiers (1.5 ranks).

The scoring is changed to focus more on kills. Kills are still increasing in value as you place higher but like in season 12 and before, you'll get at least 10RP per KP (kills, assists counting 1 and participations counting 0.5) even when you finish bottom 10.

RP per KP: 20th-11th: 10, 10th-6th: 12, 5th-4th: 16, 3rd: 18, 2nd: 22, 1st: 26

Placement RP: 20th-14th: 0, 13th-11th: 5, 10th-9th: 10, 8th-7th: 20, 6th: 30, 5th: 45, 4th: 55, 3rd: 70, 2nd: 95, 1st: 125

The total score is built on three pillars:

Combat RP (kills, assists, participations, "kill cap adjustments"(?))
    Bonus RP

Challenger Bonus: additional points per kill for killing higher ranked players - no penalty for killing lower ranked players
    additional points for keeping a streak of top 5 placements. The longer you maintain your streak the more RP you earn from this bonus, capped at 5.
    Placement RP (placement and entry costs)

increasing entry costs with increasing rank (no specific information on entry costs)

No promotional trials or similar.

No explicit help (no bonus or special scoring) for solo queuers.

No informaton on a kill cap, though it's indicated there's some sort of cap (might be soft).

In a full trio you can still team up with without rank restrictions. [Note: Hasn't mentioned duo queuers, but I suspect the 1 tier difference for higher ranks is still in place.]

Overhaul of the armor / upgrade system
    Respawn describe this as the single largest change to legends since the game has launched. The legend upgrade system is aimed to provide more dynamic gameplay, where during the match you have the opportunity to upgrade your legend's abilities to improved versions. This upgrade system is tied to the system for levelling up armor.

Armor as a lootable object is removed. Levelling armor evo is the only way of getting higher armor. This aims to help reducing the effect of RNG, particularly when players happen to find better armor than their opponents in early game.

Legend upgrade system where when you level up evo to blue and purple you are given a choice to upgrade your legend's abilities in one of two ways.

Respawn say that readbility should be maintained, i.e. when you see a particular legend, you should still know what to expect and how to counter it. When there's differences in counterplay resulting from upgrades, using upgraded abilities provides visual or audio tells aid with this.

Examples of upgraded abilities for Wattson could include the abilitiy to place multiple Wattson ults simultaneously, or placing an upgraded version of a Wattson ult that spawns arc stars when it zaps ordnance. Other examples could be reviving a player with more health.

Levelling up evo can be done in various ways:

dealing damage
    exploring the environment / playing their role (scanning Beacons, interacting with support bins)
    getting evo from stationary Evo harvesters or picking up an Evo item that provides you with larger amounts of evo but is rare to find.
    Since armor is no longer a lootable item, the shield swap mechanic is changed. Death boxes will contain an item called shield core, which contains shield charge equivalent to the amount the eliminated player was carrying (white, blue, purple, etc.).

Picking up the shield core will charge your shield with the respective amount. if it's lower it will partially recharge your shield.
    If the shield core is higher level than your shield, the shield core will grant you "overshield": you have more armor beyond the maximum your armor can hold, but once you take damage, the excess is lost and cannot be recharged (from what I understand not time-based like Conduit temporary shield).
    You don't get a permanent armor upgrade by looting someone who had a higher level shield.
    no information regarding gold shields.

Crafting update
    crafting materials removed, the replicator is free to use, but you can use each replicator only once per match

replicator offers a smaller set of items (only Med Kits, Batteries, Ammo and Banners).

everyone on a Support's team can still craft banners.

New LTM Straight Shot
    Mode aiming to bring players straight to the BR action and play more matches in less time.

30 players on smaller part of the map

fully kitted weapons

No dropship, squad is dropped into a random POI, 2 teams per POI.

end ring after around 10 minutes.

you can queue into the next game while spectating the ongoing game.

Mixtape
    Thunderdome, a new custom map that is designed with all mixtape modes in mind, an homage to Kings Canyon.

Lockout, a new mixtape mode

120Hz for PS5, Xbox series S/X
    120Hz performance modes for the newer gen consoles.

Events
    5th anniversary event will award heirloom shards to people buying the whole event.

6 Free legend unlocks over the course of the season: Seer, Fuse, Rampart, Maggie, Valk. Every two weeks a legend will be free for the rest of the season and you can complete challenges with these legends to unlock them permanently.

Breakout story
    Silva is dead, the syndicate is using the season to distract civilians.

For the anniversary season, maps are dressed in similar style to season 16 Revelry (large legend balloons and similar).

Respawn want to make the story easier to follow, want more of the story in the game and less on social media. Fully drawn and voice recorded in-game story.

Random other bits and pieces:
    exploits / steam conigs: Respawn are actively working on solutions. Fixes are going to be deployed over the coming weeks. Close paraphrasing: "It's not the way the game is meant to be played." "We don't want them to be exploited for gameplay advantage."

Map rotation for season 20 will start out with Storm Point, Olympus and World's Edge.

No Digital Threat optics on SMGs (only on Shotguns and Pistols).

3030 and Hemlok nerfs

asynchronous tournaments

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I've not played Apex in ages. This three strikes mode is pretty fun!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh, that straight shot mode sounds fun. I think I may have actually posted in this thread years ago talking about how I'd like a mode kind of like that.

Pretty excited for all of this. The last few seasons have been rough so I’m hyped for the first time in a decent while.

Mortal SkyPeenschuss
    I am a little bummed about 30-30 and Hemmy nerfs but, so it goes

mRahmani
    edited February 12
    Patch notes are up!

Edit: The patch notes have the full skill trees for every legend, if you want to see them.

Peen on
    Arteen
    I like the slight nerfs to base Horizon and Catalyst that bump them up to higher power thresholds in the Evo tiers -- seems like a healthy way to keep them balanced

Meanwhile Bangalore is out here becoming god-queen of the free legends