As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That second clip was from the most confusing ending to a match I've had in a while. We were all shooting in the smoke and suddenly we won; all we could figure is that they'd used a Revenant Totem to make their final push but the totem was outside the (very tiny) ring so as we knocked them out of their shadow armor they teleported back to the totem and immediately died to the ring. It was wild.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    What sort of K/D ratio or average damage do you need to hit to be considered good? Obviously it's subjective. I assumed that my .9 K/D for Season 5 so far was putting me firmly in the "scrub" category despite having dedicated a few hundred hours to playing. But I heard a guy talking about a 1.2 K/D like it was a major accomplishment.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    What sort of K/D ratio or average damage do you need to hit to be considered good? Obviously it's subjective. I assumed that my .9 K/D for Season 5 so far was putting me firmly in the "scrub" category despite having dedicated a few hundred hours to playing. But I heard a guy talking about a 1.2 K/D like it was a major accomplishment.

It's a bit hard to say and arguably not a wholly relevant metric in a game of this type, as the sort of variance inherent to BRs can easily suppress K/D. That said, based on my own performance as a Gold Console pleb with a lifetime K/D of ~.75, .9 puts you in the "decently competent" tier and probably a strong contributor to a team's match performance — good job!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I have 1.0 but I feel like the matchmaking just keeps me there. Been that way in S3, 4 and 5.

In S2 I was at like 0.7 but I was new on PC + the matchmaking was way looser, lots of preds killing me.

I think your ranked performance says more, I'm high gold but not interested in the grind to platinum. But for this season I have left ranked untouched until some event hits so I can get bronze/silver kills easily when there's a dumb grind in limited time.
    Last season the gaps between silver and low gold and high gold were very noticable to me, in silver I was averaging like 5 kills a game, and I won 3 times in 5 matches on my way to gold. Then I hit gold and suddenly some people were outmoving and outshooting me.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

It's a bit hard to say and arguably not a wholly relevant metric in a game of this type, as the sort of variance inherent to BRs can easily suppress K/D. That said, based on my own performance as a Gold Console pleb with a lifetime K/D of ~.75, .9 puts you in the "decently competent" tier and probably a strong contributor to a team's match performance — good job!

Yeah, I mean my win percentage is well below the 5% you would expect of a perfectly average person. But obviously there's variance since the top % teams are going to win the majority of games (that is to say, an average player is still going to be well below 5% wins since a 99th %ile player may win 33% of matches or whatever).

I also noticed my K/D drops a lot as the season goes on, presumably as all the casual folks who came around for the new season drop off. But I'm still much improved from when I started playing shortly after launch, where it seemed like half the time I never even did damage.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Considering the respawn system, I think a "good" k/d has to be above 1.0. I think as long as you were over a 2.0 k/d you could consider yourself good.

What is this I don't even.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like KD doesn't matter as much in this game. I've won plenty of games with a single or maybe two kills at most, and I've lost games where I go off and get 8-12 kills. So idk higher KD is good but not really indication of skill more so how aggro someone is lol

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I was curious about this myself and everything I've read indicates that, due to the way drops can play out, the barometer for a "good player" in the Apex tryhard community is actually damage per match and not KDR.

Min 500 damage per match is where you start getting to average player tier from what I remember.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    500 / match sounds really high. Like platinum at least. That's top 30% or higher. I'm at 340ish.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Ahhhh yeah, I could be wrong. I read it a couple weeks ago and can't remember what tier was what other than damage being a better metric than KDR.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I had a match a few nights ago where I had almost 1200 damage and 0 kills, it felt bad.

You did say “tryhard community”, so 500 dmg per game as a conceptual threshold seems accurate, even if it may be unrealistic.

They’re tryhards - they all think they’re 98th percentile players, even if they’re not.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I usually put a 1.0 K:D or higher as "good". That roughly means you win more fights than you lose, and that seems like a reasonable baseline for good. It's not a perfect measure of course, but it's what I usually shoot for.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Speaking of bad. I just got carried harder than I ever have. Wish I had taken a screenshot. I had 3 kills and like 700 damage. The other two had 7 kills/1500 damage and 11 kills/2k damage!!

They were machines of death. Most of the fights (except for the last two) they slaughtered people 2v3. One of the guys 1v3'd at least two fights.

Meanwhile, I died once and got knocked like four times. At least I stepped it up in the final ring.

ObiFett on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    eh my kdr is now up to .5 and i feel live i've leveled up into a god recently. I don't know that i really value that as my metric of improvement just by the nature of the game and my friends like to specifically hot drop labs/boat on KC or train/party boat on WE so we have plently of murderdie games we drop into. but i've gone from mostly doing 0/0 damage/kills and basically existing to loot and offer some situational awareness to the team, to being pretty consistently 3-700 damage per game depending on how long we get and getting 1-3 kills.

then i turned on a popular twitch stream and watched someone with like 100% havok accuracy and remembered I'm a super noob still

initiatefailure on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My K/D has been slowly improving each season, which is good enough for me.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I tanked my K/D in earlier seasons trying to do dumb challenges (particularly location based challenges) to progress the Season pass. A lot of hot drops in nasty locations looking for specific weapons and such.

That said, my K/D this season started about 1.25, and is now hovering around .9-1.0, which means the players earlier in the season (and in Bronze/Silver before hitting Gold) were easier prey, and now I have become the prey.

Damage seems way better of a metric given how you get no credit when your team gets the last shot in.

Carries happen, and getting carried happen, especially in casual. No big deal.
    I do notice that if high level players notice they have a "bad team" they usually just string fights until they die or win. Almost every diamond or predator that I rando with is just a straight line to the next gunshot sound, and just banking on superior aiming skills to win fights.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My overall K/D has to be horrible even by noob amateur standards, because I run a lot of rounds with pub groups, and by god these people have no will to live. It's a rare treat when they don't just insta launch us into whatever the closest clusterfuck is.

I appreciate that the time from dead to new match is short, because some of those "matches" aren't even measured in minutes. And when I try to ping them to a more distant/less hot dropzone (or do it myself as jumpmaster) a good quarter of the time someone decides to drop solo and then a fair chunk of them just spam ping things to show their displeasure with us not suiciding into a maelstrom that eats up players by the dozens.

I have a few friends in the 200/300/500'ish range, and boy, playing with them is night and day. It's a much better experience, but their MMR is so high that I'm fighting people who might as well belong in a Matrix or John Wick movie. Of course, it means when I go back to solo'ing where my bracket seems to mostly be 'still figuring out how to move and aim at the same time', it's a very different thing.

But I suck with a controller so it's not like I become the Angel of Death or anything. At least I'm getting kills now and then, and have even managed a few wins where I didn't feel 100% carried at least.

That said, hitting level 43, unlocking my second Legend, and realizing I need another 100 levels to unlock the remaining 5.... whew. That's gonna take a while. Even with a double XP weekend or seven.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i can tell looking at my stats that i've improved based on comparisons between seasons 4 and 5 but also i played a lot during pre-season 1, then stopped and came back at the tail end of season 4 so it's to be expected since i was bad during pre-season 1, slightly less bad but rusty during season 4, then have more or less gotten into the swing of things during season 5

also i will drop ship/train if it's accessible 95% of the time

btw, do we have a list of players and their platforms? It'd be good to expand the roster a bit, assuming there's an active PS4 group at least.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I just started playing a few weeks ago on PS4, so I'm willing to join in. Id is SatsuMX

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is there actually a good way to compute K/d other than compare kill total against games played with math?

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is there actually a good way to compute K/d other than compare kill total against games played with math?

It's displayed in-game, you just have to hover over the other stats.

if you click your level/xp bar in the ready screen it shows your total/seasonal stats with kdr listed

Forar wrote: »
    btw, do we have a list of players and their platforms? It'd be good to expand the roster a bit, assuming there's an active PS4 group at least.

There's a Google spreadsheet linked on the first page of this very thread! I have no idea how current it is, it's very old!

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    I have a video, which I will have to edit up later, of my team both dropping solo and me rushing to land where they were...only to find out that they are obviously in a party chat with another enemy team. The other team instantly deletes me, one of my team mates picks up my banner to carry around for no particular reason and they start "hurr de durring" across the map looting and occasionally fucking with one another by shooting each other. They stayed together as a group until they got caught getting into the edge of the ring at which point my "team" was killed and I quit watching.

It wasn't even ranked, just normal play. I sure do wish I could, you know, report them for that shit.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah I've rather often had to fight against teams of 4 on duos.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    My KDR this season is 0.99, or 364 kills to 365 deaths. If I can keep 'er at 1.0 then I don't feel like a complete failure.

squall99x wrote: »
    I have a video, which I will have to edit up later, of my team both dropping solo and me rushing to land where they were...only to find out that they are obviously in a party chat with another enemy team. The other team instantly deletes me, one of my team mates picks up my banner to carry around for no particular reason and they start "hurr de durring" across the map looting and occasionally fucking with one another by shooting each other. They stayed together as a group until they got caught getting into the edge of the ring at which point my "team" was killed and I quit watching.

It wasn't even ranked, just normal play. I sure do wish I could, you know, report them for that shit.

i could understand preds or being at a certain level of ranked where the player pool is small enough that you can reliably do that

but how would people manage to get into games together consistently despite being on different teams

i think my friend group tried it and out of like 30 games maybe managed one where we were in the same game? also we promptly fought each other in order to assert dominance, but still

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I was at .49 kdr when I last played (slow internet) and my current season is hovering around .69.

Getting better but I am playing all cubbies and it doesn't help. PC here.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020
    https://youtu.be/gHLGrMRGB8Q?t=891

A game I'm rather proud of for some quick thinking as a newer player.

Assuming YouTube videos at a set timestamp still fail to go there, skipping ahead to 14:50 will show you the most pertinent part (and the real action kicks in around 16:45), though there's a clusterfuck around the 6 minute mark that went fairly well for us.

Forar on
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Speaking of bad. I just got carried harder than I ever have. Wish I had taken a screenshot. I had 3 kills and like 700 damage. The other two had 7 kills/1500 damage and 11 kills/2k damage!!

They were machines of death. Most of the fights (except for the last two) they slaughtered people 2v3. One of the guys 1v3'd at least two fights.

Meanwhile, I died once and got knocked like four times. At least I stepped it up in the final ring.
    vndvkvw30zzx.png
    I'm curious how this inventory happened, albeit not curious enough to watch ten minutes of the match to find out.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    One of the main reasons I have tried to prioritize grabbing a shotgun is the ammo economy. Two stacks of shotgun ammo is normally more than enough and its almost everywhere for refills. Frees up space for heavy ammo, heals and grenades.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited June 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    vndvkvw30zzx.png
    I'm curious how this inventory happened, albeit not curious enough to watch ten minutes of the match to find out.

Off the cuff... hording tendencies?

It's something I'm still getting a feel for, but I am very prone to carrying way more ammo and shield cells/syringes than I could ever possibly use, especially since if I get jumped close range and some higher skill player murders me in a single engagement.

However, it does occasionally prove useful for handing out said consumables like candy when the party seems to need them (I do try not to hoover up all of them leaving my partners bare, mind you). It also depends on what my allies are using for weapons. If they're requesting ammo types I'll often hand those off, which means getting free reign on other types that are in lower demand. I generally get grouped with people who clearly have much higher experience/skill in the game, so I tend to give them priority on gear/ammo/etc, and just make whatever is left work as best I can.

100+ rounds of shotgun ammo was definitely too much, but if I don't have something else to replace it with, I'll generally just let it sit. Probably could've snagged some more grenades instead (which I also used to hoard moreso).

These days I'm usually trying for a better balance between two ammo type weapons (heavy/light are my go-to, but shotguns occasionally show up, and I'm growing to like the Havoc. Sniper rifles I basically only use under duress).

I really need to start hard capping around 2-3 stacks of anything. Having 16+ shield cells is clearly excessive, but since I'm still new/slow enough that I'm often trailing behind, anything I snap up is rarely at the detriment of the team; they've already got their pick and I just grab the remainder.

Plus, if I have it, it's being denied to the enemies who might follow in our wake moments or minutes later. At least in reference to healing supplies more than shotgun ammo.

Forar on
    I still need to grab snipers more often. I think the difficulty with them is less the aiming as it is them needing to be used in a different way than basically every other weapon in the game. With literally every other weapon type, shooting trading fire between cover positions is handy to soften enemies up, but unless the enemy is dumb and just stays out in the open and lets you shoot them, you need to close in and flank to actually secure kills. (or blanket them with grenades, but that's a different matter) But with snipers, they have the damage and projectile speed that can catch someone peeking and put two shots in their head and bam, they're down just like that.
    It can, of course, be tricky to hit people with snipers, but when you use them it's surprisingly common to find people in firefights who're hardscoping as they peek out of cover at ranges where that'd be fairly safe against assault rifles. Nice juicy stationary head hitboxes.
    There's also that nice thing where people will be shield broken, but expect to be able to peek out and put a little more fire out before they have to heal. Not so when you have a sniper! They peek back out into your crosshair and you shoot them in the head for a down.

Basically, snipers can be intimidating because you think you need to be nailing moving targets at 8x zoom range, or quickscoping people in cbq, but really all you need to be able to do is hit someone stationary at 4x zoom range. You don't even need to be hitting every headshot; firing three shots and one of them hitting someone for 55 is often all you need to shift the advantage to your team.
    Lastly, a reminder that those dots or lines with the numbers next to them below the crosshairs that the sniper-only scopes have (the 4x/8x, the 6x, the 4x/10x, and the Kraber's scope) show how much bullet drop you'll have at various ranges. The 2 shows drop at 200 meters, the 3 at 300 meters, so on. They also have rangefinders on them, so you don't need to guess which dot to use.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    My problem with Snipers is 100% my aim. I'm so bad with them. I need to practice with them more, but it's just so painful for my team that I can't bring myself to do it unless theres a challenge or something.

edited June 2020
    squall99x wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I have tried to prioritize grabbing a shotgun is the ammo economy. Two stacks of shotgun ammo is normally more than enough and its almost everywhere for refills. Frees up space for heavy ammo, heals and grenades.

second this, if you need more than 2 stacks of shotgun ammo in a fight that you can't replenish off deathboxes or random pickups something has gone horribly wrong or you're 1v20ing at bunker

unknown.png?width=1072&height=631

had a good game today with the Mastiff where i was just getting knocks left and right on people, with a big break coming for our team when we got to that little compound in between cascades/bunker and salvage which happened to be a convergence of 4-6 teams with us being one of the two last teams to get in on the action. there were so many deathboxes just strewn across this building and the area around it.

i'm still 50/50 on the mastiff - it feels more inconsistent than the eva-8 because of the flat spread and what feels like extreme sensitivity to where you're aiming the moment you fire, which means you're either landing full spreads for 80-112 damage or whiffing completely/landing a single pellet for 13 damage, whereas with the eva-8 you're usually getting 40-80 damage shots depending on how well you're tracking

Orphane on
    edited June 2020
    I think something finally clicked with me on the mastiff. I was stuck at 9/10 kills with it on my weekly challenge from week 1. Then I just had a game yesterday where I couldn't miss with it and killed the entire enemy squad on drop with one.

I still think getting an Eva on hot drop is more busted but since that game I've been excited to pick up mastiffs much more.

Next up is being 2/10 on sentinel knocks

initiatefailure on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    QFhZ0O6h.png
    I didn't really want the 2K damage badge anyway.