As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I suppose that may be the sound of my crafting materials going away....

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I suppose that may be the sound of my crafting materials going away....

Gi-bear-ltar time!
    My PC is offline while I wait for my mobo RMA. :bigfrown:
    So I guess I'll have to install on my old laptop or something just to log on and get my cosmetics!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Ugh, last night was rough.

"Boy, people being afk, or dropping the game when they go down while the other two of us clean up the squad, or being assholes sure is getting annoying. Let's go to Ranked where they have a vested interest in... nnnnope, still assholes here too."

Had several games where we got to the top 5 (if not top 2) as a 2 player team because one person fucked off early. It's seriously grating at my nerves to be striving to improve and feel like the random community members couldn't give less of a fuck about seeing out even a 30 second fight as to whether or not we come out on top. I had multiple people just drop the game entirely for no explicable reason. Not even in combat or downed, they just... bailed. Offline, nope, gone from the player list, now they're just a death box and a representation of us fighting an even more uphill climb.

Yeah, I know, that's what it's like playing with randoms. My other friends online were already in a group, and I wasn't about to try rejiggering that math.

Solo-queueing can be a trying experience under the best of conditions, but last night felt like the pool of idiocy was particularly deep, and while I've markedly improved since Season 5, if we're leaning on me to carry a lot of the weight here, there's going to be rough road ahead for that duration...

I want to be excited for the new skins, but I assume that most of the good stuff will be locked behind apex coins alone. Plus, I'm thinking of saving towards the inevitable (hopefully) Loba Heirloom. Being able to craft a ton of the Epics in a release (assuming it plays out like Mirage's and Caustic's did, which I think were the first ones I was around for) would take it from being "woah this is an irresponsible use of disposable income" to "... not ideal, but okay, whatever..."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    What the fuck is going on?

I’m in Gold IV and all night it has been idiots and assholes as team mates.

Oh good, a drop with a player who has 10k kills and another with 3k!

.... except the former was afk as jump master, leading to us being last out of the ship, nearly taking us off the map, landing near garden like a solid minute after others, and our getting promptly deleted by people who, you know, had gear.

Or the 500-1000 kill folks blindly charging off on their own, no word about it, no pings, just me and one guy fighting a squad, two down, and... then we go down too and our third is off picking another fight like 1.5 points of interest away.

I’m at battle pass level 51 and I must say, the improvements they’ve made are great, but I’m kind of done with the fucking community.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    What the fuck is going on?

I’m in Gold IV and all night it has been idiots and assholes as team mates.

Oh good, a drop with a player who has 10k kills and another with 3k!

.... except the former was afk as jump master, leading to us being last out of the ship, nearly taking us off the map, landing near garden like a solid minute after others, and our getting promptly deleted by people who, you know, had gear.

Or the 500-1000 kill folks blindly charging off on their own, no word about it, no pings, just me and one guy fighting a squad, two down, and... then we go down too and our third is off picking another fight like 1.5 points of interest away.

I’m at battle pass level 51 and I must say, the improvements they’ve made are great, but I’m kind of done with the fucking community.

i'm gonna give you a tip for fun

stop playing ranked

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Spoiler alert: I did.

It wasn’t any better.

I went to ranked after I got tired of watching people disconnect the moment things looked bleak for even an instant. At least this way (in silver/gold) it costs them something to bail, and if I’m lucky they do it early enough to get loss protection.

Less helpful if they’re just useless despite having literally an order of magnitude more kills showing.

Forar on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Conversely I played 10 or so games yesterday and wound up with wins on 4-5 of them, even on the match where our Caustic decided to drop solo and we had to run across half the map to rescue him! It was pretty wild, sometimes you just have good or bad runs I guess.

Also it looks like you can get more than 2 instances of 'teammates using portals/ziplines' per match now, seems like it maybe only counts once per player per zipline, but now does it per separate zipline you make? But I definitely got 4+ points from a single match.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Oh, I get that it's going to be a very anecdotal experience. I just remain baffled how many people have put enough time in this game to get hundreds or thousands of kills on a character, but can't be bothered to be at their controller for the entire duration of the dropship's path (as one of several frustrating examples from the last few nights, and it happened multiple times).

It's the roll of the dice every time one solo queues up, but at least for most of the last year it'd be a good mix of messy and solid. I don't expect regular wins (fuck, 4-5 in one night? I've never had more than 2), but when I can play for a good 2+ hours and the best placement is a pair of 4ths, it's hard not to feel a bit shit on/let down.

Edit: the best of them was actually Wed night. Jump master is a level 500 Wraith with like 1000 kills. I turn to my girlfriend and say "we hot drop, no ping, she goes down first, disconnects before anyone is even close to her box." Other than the other guy and I managing to defeat the team that dropped her and living whole minutes beyond what I expected, I was right on the money. I get the 'lol wraiths' thing is more of a community meme bit, but boy, some of them really seem to live up to the reputation.

As for the ziplines/portals, as far as I know that's how it has always been (at least going back to when I started in S5).

Forar on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Huh, I could've sworn I was only getting a max of 2 counts per match last season. Maybe I wasnt surviving long enough to place more than one useful portal!

Regardless I'm playing some games right now (Halos_Lucentia) if anyone wants to join.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Speaking of nonsense games, I had one where my two teammates immediately ran away from the spot where we dropped because there was an enemy team there. I didn't realize that they were gone, and was downed and murdered. They came back and grabbed my token and respawned me, but then it was Bangalore's turn to fall behind and get murdered. I rush over to rez them but the enemy team rushed us and killed them, which led to me accidentally grabbing their token and then dying.

The Octane runs off, eventually respawns Bangalore, and then the two of them hide for the rest of the match until it's somehow... just them and a lone Gibraltar. They manage to make me think that maybe they're gonna lose the 2v1 but they pull it off.

5m9yir6u54hj.png

I'm pretty sure literally all the damage they did was against that one Gibraltar.

• Options
    It's train time! Choo choo!

I'm still not sure I totally understand everything that's going on in this mode, and some characters are much more useful than others even with set loadouts, but it certainly seems like a good way to practice gunfights without getting too caught up in the rest of the looting and moving gameplay.

The Loba skin is kinda nice, but I don't know why they didn't give her blue/grey lipstick! Also it's probably not 'kinda nice' enough for the price they're asking, so I'll probably skip it.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah the holiday train mode is a lot more involved than most of the other modes, they really should have spun up a quick tutorial or something for the first time you load into it.

Also I've been in a Destiny hole for the past few weeks so apologies if anyone's been trying to get into the club, I've been ignoring Apex entirely. I'll be back playing next week and if you did try to join the club let me know, I'll log in and let you in.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Train mode is definitely super fun. Really nice to just be able to jump in and start shooting bad dudes. I'm trying to play as much as possible with whoever has the wingman to get some practice in.

Only frustrating thing is if as 2 of the dropping teams, the other drop team decides to push straight onto you completely ignoring the train and allowing the other team to grab an easy cap. We're on the same side (sort of) my dudes!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Train mode is definitely super fun. Really nice to just be able to jump in and start shooting bad dudes. I'm trying to play as much as possible with whoever has the wingman to get some practice in.

Only frustrating thing is if as 2 of the dropping teams, the other drop team decides to push straight onto you completely ignoring the train and allowing the other team to grab an easy cap. We're on the same side (sort of) my dudes!

I've found pathfinder with the sniper is somewhat broken, as you can just potshot all day long. I got 1800 damage in one game.

• Options
    I think the weapon loadouts might change daily? Or at least they were changed from the first time I played the train game to the second.

I do appreciate the daily/weekly challenges for giving me an incentive to play with different weapons/legends, but it's mildly annoying when I keep stumbling into wins on random legends when I'm so close to hitting 50 on Loba! (Also it makes me confront the fact that I just might not be very good with Loba, I seem to have a better general track record with basically anyone else, haha.)

I had to get 10 knocks with the G7 this week, which is a gun I quite like but I find I rarely actually knock anyone with it, just plink damage at range and then finish off with something else, but hey, I get to use my fancy battle pass G7 at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5W0tml-Eu8

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    My understanding of the train mode is that the loadout combination themselves are static, but which Legend they are on will change daily.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I'm sure the train mode is super fun, but like any LTM, having a team on the same page (and ideally some communication/coordination) is key.

So when a buddy and I logged in to find we were just a duo*, it... did not go well for us. 3 v 3 v 2 might be fun for the duo if both are hardcore badasses, but while he's a badass, I'm around 0.5 badass worth, so, uh, yeah.

*I should note that we WERE a full set of three. Our random third dude just fucked off before the first round. I guess our banners weren't full of enough kills/wins to be worth playing with.

Forar on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    the problem with the train mode is that rust team are always paint lickers who don't contest the train and then shoot you when you grit your teeth and get on lest the other team just get a cap for free

Orphane on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Santa always hesitates before he takes a life.

https://youtu.be/ULEiKwNxoNw

(The ex-wife thing is a running gag from one of Todd's earlier videos that he now hates.)

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    This took longer than I care to admit, but I finally did it!

90vmur55if8h.jpg

The 50th victory was not exactly the most honorable mind, playing in doubles with my brother on this fair christmas eve, by the time the final circle was closing we were up on the side ramp between the power station and the waterfall overlook, and the other team were trapped in the vent passageway down below that with no way to get at one another, so I ended up using Loba's ult to grab a gold body shield and, like, 20 syringes to try and heal through the ring damage for long enough. So a pretty ignoble victory, but we did get some actual fights beforehand so it's not a totally cheeky win at least.

On to 100 wins I guess...

• Options
    Nice!

I’ve been trying to get one win with each legend I have each season, and I’m down to just Crypto left to go. I’ve had a few close ones, a number of top 3 placements, but lately a lot of my games have involved protracted fights that my team wins, but manages to set us into a failure spiral (too little healing left, in the ring, getting gatekept on our way out, etc).

Mind you, much better games that I had a few weeks back, and it’s certainly an interesting experience, but now that I’ve got a good month and change to get 10 levels on the battle pass, my main focus is on that little side goal, while slowly solo queueing back up to Gold, because at least in ranked it costs players something to hot drop, get downed and quit. Made a top 3 today as a duo that definitely could have been a win if one team mate hadn’t disconnected literally as the other player and I cleaned up the remnants and were going for their banner.

Like, I kind of wish some kind of whap with a rolled up newspaper could be applied to people who habitually bail on “lost causes” that weren’t, in fact, lost at all.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_x6ZGlqzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1I3VguohWM

New collection event, this is not a drill etc.

Pathfinder town takeover with a Boxing Arena in the kinda dead zone in between Docks and Turbine, where getting in the boxing ring disables all your guns/skills and prevents any outside bullets/skills/grenades from entering the ring so you can have yourself a nice, satisfying punch fight with anyone else who comes in, but it's a free-for-all in the ring when it comes to who can enter (ergo, no one on one duels)

LTM is Care Package Escalation where more care packages drop per ring, they can have fully kitted out weapons, and they are tiered to what round it is e.g. Round 1 Care Packages have white quality loot, Round 4 Care Packages has Red Armor and weapons. They're trying something new where the LTM replaces regular trios (ranked is untouched if you want the vanilla Apex experience).

That Pathfinder skin...I need it.

Orphane on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    All of the event skins look pretty good this time round from what I can tell. I can't wait to see the final rings closing on pathfinder's boxing ring and turning the end of the match into melee only, no items.

I got to the end of the season pass so I had enough time to get all the badges for the winter express mode, which was a pretty fun ltm all things considered, I like it.

Also played this game, which we didn't manage to win in the end, but it was a pretty first half by my standards at least!

https://youtu.be/3wCsee0dLjA

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    That Pathfinder lore video is so good.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    That Pathfinder lore video is so good.

SO GOOD.

• Options
    It is a very good little video, I do appreciate the effort put into the lore background when it's not necessarily the sort of game that needs that sort of thing, but honestly I suspect it's the fun character work which kept me from bouncing off in the first place.

Speaking of which, as well as the Pathfinder animation, there were a couple of small lore update videos which (as far as I can tell) were only posted to the apex Twitter page for some reason? Kinda weird cos there's some fairly important narrative events involved, but in case anyone missed them:

• Options
    There are some nice quality of life changes with this event:
    -Ultimate Accelerants can now be used without opening your inventory. If your ultimate is not currently available, just press the button (or buttons, on a controller) to activate it, and you’ll pull out any stored Accelerant in your inventory and use it automatically.
    -When in a lobby, if a party member leaves your lobby for any reason, all party members will be marked as “not ready.” This should stop accidental launches into a match when your buddy dipped out for a second.
    -The fabled “Mark All As Seen” button has been added. Click this to remove the pesky (I mean helpful) red dots.
    -Pinging the nearest respawn beacon (from spectate) will now always ping the nearest beacon unless you don't have enough time to use it before the ring closes over it, instead of defaulting to the nearest beacon in the next safe ring.
    -We now show you how many treasure packs are needed to acquire the next comic page. This should just make it easier to people who are chasing the new bit of lore to know how far away they are.
    -Caustic should now smash the door with his Heirloom hammer instead of his leg, if available.
    -We added a small bit of information to the Find Friends box to describe a situation where your friend might not be findable because of their EA account settings.

There's also a fun addition with MRVNs in the map:
    After having been previously decommissioned, MRVNs are now programmed to reward Legends in the arena. Only appearing in Olympus, these friendly guys will give you loot after interacting with them. They’ll produce tiered loot equal to what is shown on their screens.

White sad face = Common level 1 loot
    Neutral blue face = Rare level 2 loot
    Pleased purple face = Epic level 3 loot
    Very Happy yellow face = Legendary Level 4 loot

Pick up your loot and thank your friendly MRVN. Or, if you’re feeling toxic, shoot them. When you do, they may drop their arm for you to store in your inventory. Taking this to another MRVN with the missing piece may get you a reward. Hi-five?

I'm at a spot where I'm probably going to be playing a lot of Apex over the next little while, it's time.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The new Pathfinder skin is apparently exclusive to the 25$ bundle

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    Yeah, Respawn have turned into greedy little fucks for the past 3 events or so.

Not exactly blaming the devs directly here, its almost certainly the EA higher ups, but come on.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I was hoping you'd be able to get some of the exclusives from just playing, not necessarily as event rewards but at least in regular Apex packs during the event and I'm not sure they'll even show up in them. I'd lament foolishly spending my shards to get a legendary right before this event came out, but it probably doesn't matter since they're twice the price of the regular legendaries.

And the event exclusive loot boxes are 7$ a pop, sure it's at least a guaranteed epic or legendary but still. This whole thing reeks of money grubbing. I understand that skins and the like are their bread and butter, Apex being free and all, but having loot boxes at all still even in a F2P game is scummy as hell on its own, the inflated prices to by even the gamble boxes let alone the like 20$ you'd need to plop down for every legendary in this event.

I remember spending about 20$ on a skin in League of Legends and I still cringe a bit at it, but that skin actually had completely new animations, a unique UI and its own unique announcer and skin specific voice lines. It felt like a lot of goddamn effort so 20$ didn't seem so ridiculous I mean it still probably was way overpriced but at least it felt more justified. This doesn't feel justified or earned in any way. It just feels like absolute greed.

And I mean I've spent money on the game, buying specific skins I wanted at like 10$, which again to me seems like a lot I'm not going to tell anyone what their time is worth and that it doesn't take a lot of work by developers and artists, but I feel like they could quarter all the prices and get rid of the loot boxes entirely and the game would still be incredibly profitable.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If I’m not misreading anything, Apex was set (as of Nov 202) to pull in somewhere around $500 million usd for the fiscal year.

Sure, it’s not ‘billions with a b’ type money like Fortnite was rolling in for a while there (and might still be, I haven’t logged into that game in ages), but they seem to be doing just fine financially.

Which is to say that they don’t have to keep prices high to keep the lights on. Clearly it’s profit motive.

And hey, they make a product I enjoy a lot (just passed account level 300 recently), but it still rubs me the wrong way.

I might bite the bullet and grab a skydive or two, but I’m currently saving my crafting materials to potentially take some of the edge off a future heirloom event financial mistake, and both would set me back more than a battle pass worth of crafting materials, so I’m on the fence.

Forar on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played for a couple of hours and saw multiple Pathfinders with the $25 skin, so unfortunately I suspect the skins are selling and the price level will be kept.

I used crafting materials to get the Loba skin and I think I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I was hoping you'd be able to get some of the exclusives from just playing, not necessarily as event rewards but at least in regular Apex packs during the event and I'm not sure they'll even show up in them. I'd lament foolishly spending my shards to get a legendary right before this event came out, but it probably doesn't matter since they're twice the price of the regular legendaries.

And the event exclusive loot boxes are 7$ a pop, sure it's at least a guaranteed epic or legendary but still. This whole thing reeks of money grubbing. I understand that skins and the like are their bread and butter, Apex being free and all, but having loot boxes at all still even in a F2P game is scummy as hell on its own, the inflated prices to by even the gamble boxes let alone the like 20$ you'd need to plop down for every legendary in this event.

not to make excuses for their overall greed, but the system of "$7 weighted loot box or marked-up crafting materials" has been in place since the blowback from the first event, Iron Crown. During that event, skins were ONLY unlock able through the $7 loot box, and you could only get 2 of those for free (one as a true freebie, the other after a lot of playtime). The community basically blew up on them, and they listed all the skins on rotation for coins during the rest of the rotation, with the promise that future events would be done better.

The compromise was that future events would still have the loot boxes @$7 (with no freebies), but each cosmetic would be directly purchasable and cartable for a set, known amount. You could know that if you saved up 800/2400 crafting mats, you'd be able to buy at least 1 thing you wanted. They also added the event reward tracks for actually free-with-playtime-only rewards.

The fucked thing this time is placing the star of the event skin as real-money only, but also its $25 instead of $18 like they normally are. Your saved crafting mats mean fuck all, and if you have no apex coins sitting around you have to pay 30 instead of 20 to buy the skin due to them not selling exact coins.

And this is after two other "events" where they also broke from the previous way to only sell skins for real money,

ronzo on
  • Options
    Another set dumb thing this event does that just rubs me the wrong way:

-Path gets a 2nd set of overall performance trackers before half the roster get 1

-Bloodhound finally gets a 3rd skydive emote, but this one is also paywalled, just like the 2nd one from the Iron Crown event. Everyone else has like 2-3 skydive emotes already, free from the battle pass, but BH just gets shit on in that department.

• Options

it changes the champion select animation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqicMRpro5A

• Options
    4 straight matches of being killed by someone with the 4k/20bomb badges and over 15,000 kills

I've never placed higher than Gold IV, but sure Respawn, this is fucking fair.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    4 straight matches of being killed by someone with the 4k/20bomb badges and over 15,000 kills

I know it doesn't make you feel better, but that's never how matchmaking has worked. I feel the same way about matchmaking in destiny and ton of other games, but without a massive population it's hard to nail down "fair" matchmaking, especially since uneven stats don't always mean uneven games.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    ronzo wrote: »

I know it doesn't make you feel better, but that's never how matchmaking has worked. I feel the same way about matchmaking in destiny and ton of other games, but without a massive population it's hard to nail down "fair" matchmaking, especially since uneven stats don't always mean uneven games.

Sure, and I understand/agree with most of that.

I just wish that devs would make those top 1% people wait longer for a more balanced match rather just throwing their hands up after 90 seconds and go "well, I guess you just get to pubstomp!" and expanding the MM parameters.

Edit: I also play in the late/wee hours of the morning EST, so I'm used to some level of unbalanced lobbies, tonight is just landing very heavily on the "wtf, I just couldn't do anything to that guy" and then looking them up after the match to find out they are the #46 Octane player by kills on PSN.

ronzo on
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »

it changes the champion select animation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqicMRpro5A

It's cool and all, but one animation doesn't make it worth 25 quid for me.

I got my moustachioed art deco pathy and I'm quite happy with him.

25 fucking quid, Jésus wept.