As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    MW5z8Ke.jpg
    You know what I'd love? If the game spat out a map like this.

This was really satisfying win, late drop at airbase, 1v1 we won, but the people from Runoff and Gauntlet both moved in at the same time to third party, 2 of us died but the Bangalore escaped to Gauntlet as the other teams met. We ressed, and found they left Gauntlet early to third party, and we got some decent loot, we were moving for zone in a hurry, ran into 2 squads at the same time in the middle of the map. Killed one, the other ran for zone in a different direction than us. We end up on the cascades, see a solo fly towards us from a balloon then turn around, with a white trail.
    We have to move for zone, catch another 2 teams coming out fighting, we drop them really easily because of their zone damage.

Start of circle 3 and only 2 teams left, and I see another balloon train in the distance, and it's that same damn solo with the white trail.
    And he decides to hide, we are patient and find him ... in circle 5 atop the waterfall.....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Movement tracks and heat maps of engagements (or even fight summaries in locations) post game would be super cool.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Nothing like basically solo surviving the last 5 squads with an occasional kill/knock, only to survive to a 2v1 but fail to clutch after dropping the first guy by hitting LB thinking it would throw a grenade and not use my tactical ability.

Whoops.....

Also, even with a Shotgun Bolt and a Hammerpoint, the Mozambique is not the weapon you want to bring into a final fight.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I feel like if they just upped to mag size for the Mozambique to 5 or something it might actually become useful.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Agreed, I don't understand how a weapon with such a small magazine can do so little damage. I've given it a chance multiple times, mostly because I find the damage up mods, and still find myself jumping around like an idiot while I wait for the incredibly long reload, even though I point-blank shot my opponent three times.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I wish I'd been around for the gold mozam event. Apparently it was a murderer

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    An un-hopped 'Bique or P2020 are those sorts of battle royale guns that are bad on purpose to make for those desperate drops where you've got trash and you just have to make it work.
    That said, I do think hammerpoint is being undersold here. A hammerpoint 'Bique will one-shot health to the body, and has a the fastest shotgun fire rate so that you can follow up more quickly if you don't land enough pellets to pull off that one-shot. Its low magazine size can make this risky, but honestly if you were choking enough that you couldn't hit three out of nine pellets then you were probably going down regardless of the weapon you were using.
    Hammerpoint probably is too specialized to ever be meta, but if you're not aiming to be the best I think it's got some legit uses. It really is quite valuable to have an opponent think they're at half health when they're actually absolute.

All I know is I suck with Mozambique and I would have been better served reloading and hipfiring my Hemlokc rather than swotch to Mozambique, fire some shots, miss a few, not break shields, and then just switch back to Hemlock anyway.

I admit I am bad with the gun, I was just salty I never had any other shotty or an R99 for an entire game.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I still maintain that everyone should start with white shields (which would help the general loot pool as well since they wouldn't need to clog up spawns) and a P2020

I think i've gotten 2 knocks ever with it and I'm pretty sure they were both scramble boat drops.

@ObiFett did you play any of the shield events they did last season? like each week was a different level of starting shield. Evo was my favorite

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I think i've gotten 2 knocks ever with it and I'm pretty sure they were both scramble boat drops.

ObiFett did you play any of the shield events they did last season? like each week was a different level of starting shield. Evo was my favorite

Yeah, and I loved those events. I thought Evo shield would be my favorite, but it just ensured that final ring fights were a bit too long for me and rewarded third partying more than normal. I ended up liking just the consistent feel of the first event where everyone started with whites and P2020s. It really helped the dropping feel less RNG dependent, which is basically my only problem with the game.

On the one hand it would be nice to have a bit higher a baseline for how well you'll be equipped as you head out of your first area, but on the other the panicked immediate post-drop stuff has some of my favorite moments in the game. If everyone spawned with white and P2020s, I'd never have had that moment where me and someone else from here were beaten to a shotgun by an enemy but we corned him and beat him to death anyway.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I agree, hectic and frustrating as it can be, I love the post-drop scramble. It gets me into the game and wakes me up and provides a chance to shake off whatever happened in the last match. A world where everyone drops in a crowded area and immediately starts plinking with P2020s sounds terrible, although if they want to let us shoot while we're dropping then I'm all for it. Give me the mid-drop P2020 fight, yes please.

I mean I did enjoy the battle armor event, I wouldn't mind that come back with regularity, I just wouldn't want it to replace the current mode.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My favorite part of all of that is coming out on top of a fight where someone else has a gun and I have to punch them to death.
    Obviously I lose more than I win, but MAN it's satisfying to win, especially if it's with a sliding uppercut =).

It's weird how I can be so on or off in this game. I don't feel like my skill level averages out. I'll have 10 HORRIBLE games in a row where I can't hit anything, even up close...and then get eight kills in the next match where I seem like I can't miss.
    That happened yesterday...I had some VERY frustrating rounds - probably 9 or 10 in a row - then I got 8 kills (by far my highest..previously 5), and 2 championships in a row...also my highest. Usually I get a championship every few days, but not often. I think I've had 10 total this season.
    And I also was playing using the havoc, historically one of my worst weapons.

I wish I could figure out what goes on that causes me to go from doing really well to doing horrible and then back.

vamen on
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    unknown.png?width=1078&height=631

had a good game where we rotated well and managed to be the winning party in several fights including a chaotic half fight/run from ring in capacitor and then a fight immediately outside of it where we could restock on ammo

then the final team was squatting on the charge tower at rig trying to be king of the hill

we traded hard with them taking advantage of my Death Totem. then the 4th ring started and it was the north exit of Rig which we sprinted for, while the other team was slow to react since they were so entrenched on the charge tower platform. that ended poorly for them, since it meant they were stuck at the bottom of a ramp with no way up with the ramp being the only way to get further into the circle, so then we just got good trades since we could focus fire in a single spot and pushed on them for the win

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I like this game but when my creativity and focus runs out, I know it's time to call it a night, because I start sucking really hard.

steam_sig.png
    Feels good when you manage to be the team that wanders in fresh and takes your pick of the giant murder ball that is 4-5 teams crashing into each other

Ok one of our wins tonight we had to work for it against the final team but the other was about as free as it got, with us catching a solo survivor and duo as a full team

I just played with a good Crypto and it was a real revelation; the constant stream of good information you can get from the drone is wild, I'm going to have to start playing him more.

Peen wrote: »
    I just played with a good Crypto and it was a real revelation; the constant stream of good information you can get from the drone is wild, I'm going to have to start playing him more.
    Yeah. He can definitely be tricky; you have to find those sweet spots to deploy from where you're close enough that once the drone is in position, you can quickly join your squad in the fight, but not too close that the enemy will close and flank you. And you don't always have the benefit geometry that will let you track the whole team at once. But man, EMPing a whole team and then moving in for flanks where you have your shot lined up before you turn the corner and where you know you're not exposing yourself to some other member of the enemy team is godlike.

It was a slower pace than I'm used to but having the guy deploy his drone before we pushed into a new area so that we knew where everyone was so me and the other guy could start the fight with an advantage was amazing. He's a weird technical character and I certainly didn't get that he can basically be a bloodhound on steroids.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So would anyone happen to have an idea why turning up the graphics makes the main screen look and run like ass? I'm getting like 2 frames here and the compressing is so bad it looks like I'm trying to run the game on a 3DS! It also makes the rest of my computer run like shit as these last couple sentences have taken awhile to type out.

For the record the game itself still actually runs great and looks great when I'm in a match. I'm so confused.

edit- Oh, now it doesn't. So odd.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Gah had a final fight that was a 2v1 that I nearly won, but was slightly too cautious. Dropped an Octane but didn't know where his friend was, should have finished him when I had the chance. Instead, he crawled in a building when I didn't see, and got near his team-mate. Wounded the teammate and healed instead of pushing, which gave them time to set up gas traps, and while I pushed in and fought, the game apparently decided I lost (despite knocking them both down on my screen - so lag???).

I find that I have a hard time keeping track of where people go once in the thick of it, which makes it difficult to end fights, although at least it was an enjoyable game with a solid 2nd place finish - but the win always would have tasted better.

Gah had a final fight that was a 2v1 that I nearly won, but was slightly too cautious. Dropped an Octane but didn't know where his friend was, should have finished him when I had the chance. Instead, he crawled in a building when I didn't see, and got near his team-mate. Wounded the teammate and healed instead of pushing, which gave them time to set up gas traps, and while I pushed in and fought, the game apparently decided I lost (despite knocking them both down on my screen - so lag???).

I find that I have a hard time keeping track of where people go once in the thick of it, which makes it difficult to end fights, although at least it was an enjoyable game with a solid 2nd place finish - but the win always would have tasted better.

Could have been that one of them had a gold knockdown shield. High level players have been complaining about it lately, because it can really fuck with your podium position during the final 2/3/4 way battles.

Campy wrote: »

Could have been that one of them had a gold knockdown shield. High level players have been complaining about it lately, because it can really fuck with your podium position during the final 2/3/4 way battles.

Yeah, I think in hindsight it must have been that the Caustic had a Gold knockdown, it was just that I happened to die to his gas at nearly the same instant that my Mastiff dropped him and then the game said "Game Over" instead of "Champion."

The main mistake was not either tossing a nade at the downed Octane to take them out of play or to chase Caustic harder (although I thought they had a third partner), rather than blaming my failure on lag, but it was real real confusing to kill a dude and then lose the game.

my friends and i had a dumb game where we were the only 3 man team in 4 squads in ring 4. the other teams were a single bangalore, a single wraith, and a duo octane/someone

we are all squatting in water treatment because nobody wants to be the first team to start a fight, especially not us, and get third partied and lose because of it. the duo is camping on the roof of water treatment which we could get up to, since I'm pathfinder, but i don't think it's worth it because ziplining up into people who are prepared is a recipe for disaster + the potential to get split up and die is too high because of falling off the roof etc. so then we wait and finally catch the bangalore and finish her off, (ring 5 has happened during this) then we're waiting on the next ring because people are just poking at each other and trying to stay safe. one of my friends finds the wraith in one of the few remaining accessible buildings and goes down due to dueling the wraith then getting peppered by the enemy team, but he crawls back under the sky bridge so we can get him back up. then the fun starts.

the ring starts closing again on the new circle, which is literally just a small area out next to the balloon at water treatment out in the open. everyone starts shooting. one of my friends goes down, and my primary thought is to get into the circle because fuck dying to ring doing like 25 damage a tick and losing because of it. i run, jump, sprint into circle and spin around spraying at people as everyone else is trading bullets and my other friend goes down, and then everyone else goes down to the damage from the shootout + ring damage

it was a goofy as hell game in the last 5 minutes but hey, we won it

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    It was a slower pace than I'm used to but having the guy deploy his drone before we pushed into a new area so that we knew where everyone was so me and the other guy could start the fight with an advantage was amazing. He's a weird technical character and I certainly didn't get that he can basically be a bloodhound on steroids.

Crypto is great. I haven't played him as much this season as I did last (thanks to Mirage being fun as hell now), but it definitely takes making risky calls sometimes or making a judgement on whats more valuable - Constant info on the enemies' location or an extra gun. Sometimes I have found it more advantageous (depending on loadout) to provide 2 aggressive team mates that have shown they have quality gun skill x ray vision instead of parking it, getting some info every 10 seconds as people run around and adding myself to the fight. And of course its ridiculous if you have people on your team sniping and you are shit at it.

I have seen some people talk about pro Cryptos' staying in their drone no longer than 5 seconds at a time...and while I can definitely get behind that in the middle of a moving battle or an escape - Sometimes its better to be aggressive with the drone. The amount of ammo people will waste trying to shoot it is hilarious...and that is without my favorite benefit: The Third Party Starter. Nothing better than getting people to shoot at a drone, have another group jump them thinking they were in an actual fight, then you come in for the clean up.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited June 2020
    The one downside is that when you main Crpyto, your situational awareness becomes terrible whenever you have to play another legend.

cB557 on
    Just had a 3 kill Gibbs game where I had 1500damage but was alone for 4/5th's of the game 3rd last team and pulled an evo shield to red so i'm happy.

steam_sig.png
    cB557 wrote: »
    The one downside is that when you main Crpyto, your situational awareness becomes terrible whenever you have to play another legend.

I wonder what the worst offender for the "oh, I'm not actually playing {LEGEND}, so I don't actually have {ULT/ABILITY} and now I'm turbofucked".

Maining pathfinder and then suddenly not having a grappling hook to GTFO of a bad spot is pretty painful...

I wonder what the worst offender for the "oh, I'm not actually playing {LEGEND}, so I don't actually have {ULT/ABILITY} and now I'm turbofucked".

Maining pathfinder and then suddenly not having a grappling hook to GTFO of a bad spot is pretty painful...

I vote bloodhound. I tended to be lost when I mainly played with them.

steam_sig.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's pretty regular for me to swap between Bloodhound and Caustic, and if I'm not paying attention I'll try to scan for enemies and drop a gas trap, or vice versa.

But I'm also so new to the game that I've only unlocked the one new character, and will hopefully get my next one today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I get in tonight, and how kind the new set of daily/weekly challenges are, especially since I'm striving to avoid spending the red currency on re-rolling the dailies until I've unlocked the full roster.

Out of curiosity, with the crafting system, is there any benefit to spending the materials I'm gathering up unlocking various common/rare stuff? Since I believe I read that Apex packs won't give duplicates, would that be helpful in any way, or would it just mean getting crafting materials back (presumably fewer) from them more often?

Also, I really like how the Battle Pass works here. The staggered weekly releases and the feeling that as the weeks go on, getting levels will actually become easier (to a certain extent) is pretty cool. I'm new, and frankly not very good playing with a controller (PS4) compared to my default state as a PC gamer, but I think I'm making progress, and am already up to BP level 29/Account level 38.

It's a lot to take in, but it's getting less daunting.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Dropping Capacitor as Lifeline is pretty great. There's three charge towers in it so you can daisy chain them as you work through the area and get three care packages out before you've even left your LZ. Then there's the other charge tower at that settlement just a bit west of the south exit of capacitor for a fourth right after.

I think I'm starting to get tired of king's canyon. I like all the new areas in the update but the whole map is just so "killed by the 5th party to get to the fight" happy. I don't know if it's that the other map has more walls/harder separations between zones but i really feel that squeeze in KC

I think I'm starting to get tired of king's canyon. I like all the new areas in the update but the whole map is just so "killed by the 5th party to get to the fight" happy. I don't know if it's that the other map has more walls/harder separations between zones but i really feel that squeeze in KC

i feel like the center of the map is too accessible in terms of traversal and so if you get into a fight anywhere near the center of the map you're likely to have 3-4 teams on your ass real quick unless they intercept each other because there's so little impediment to traveling across king's canyon, and the tendency being teams working their way in from the outside of the ring towards where the ring is eventually going to be centered usually places a lot of teams on direct crash courses into each other

the center of World's Edge is pretty strongly broken up by the walls between Fragment/Train Yard/Harvester kind of making it a lot less viable for people to just run towards gunfire and necessarily get there in time to 3rd party unless they're next to balloons, which then makes it obvious you're coming in and other teams can easily track your location. World's Edge feels a bit more spaced out in general so it feels better than King's Canyon in that you're not getting 3rd partied to hell all the time imo

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Watching other people, I think not being wraith fucks people the most.

What is this I don't even.
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

i feel like the center of the map is too accessible in terms of traversal and so if you get into a fight anywhere near the center of the map you're likely to have 3-4 teams on your ass real quick unless they intercept each other because there's so little impediment to traveling across king's canyon, and the tendency being teams working their way in from the outside of the ring towards where the ring is eventually going to be centered usually places a lot of teams on direct crash courses into each other

the center of World's Edge is pretty strongly broken up by the walls between Fragment/Train Yard/Harvester kind of making it a lot less viable for people to just run towards gunfire and necessarily get there in time to 3rd party unless they're next to balloons, which then makes it obvious you're coming in and other teams can easily track your location. World's Edge feels a bit more spaced out in general so it feels better than King's Canyon in that you're not getting 3rd partied to hell all the time imo

Worlds Edge has the problem of being big enough that you sometimes drop on the outside edge, find no one for 10 minutes, then die because you had to pass through one of two choke points to get to the ring.

KC is just a little too small and becomes 3rd/4th/5th party city.

WE is just a little too big and gets matchmade teams killed way easier

A 3rd map that is bigger than Kings, but not quite the sprawl of Edge has the potential to be really good, I feel.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It would be fun if they placed one way teleporters around the maps, for quick escapes but it's a one-way ticket. Would allow for getting close to the circle but also could be risky if someone is camping the exit.

The city area in World's Edge is my favorite thing conceptually and my least favorite area to play in the actual game. I think it's just that I haven't been in it enough but I've never found a good balance between looting and staying with my team, if everyone piles into the same building then there's not enough loot to go around but if you spread out then someone inevitably gets ganked by a whole other team and it's really hard to get out of the building you're in and get over to them.

Wanted to post a few silly moments from playing with Peen the other night.

In the first, we got third partied near Bunker after trying to push out and murder some people. We succeeded, but as we get another group, they pushed us back and we started getting torn up. I retreated into a room, and tried to make a stand (with the help of downed people helping act as body shields). It went... better than expected:
    https://youtu.be/GAYxLTs4R1Y

We went on to lose this match when I couldn't get lucky again, but it was still a nice moment.

In our next match before we started I said "it would be nice to win one tonight." But then we got into a final fight against enemies with superior high ground positioning in a small ring and death was in the air since we'd have to push out into the open. But we had Bangalore smoke to cover our initial escape, and I had grenades and bullets.
    https://youtu.be/haVo-5yWrdI

Apex is fun, ya'll!