As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it is but it's so good!

I'm looking forward to the "every time someone dies the rounds get shorter" mode because that feels like an extremely chaotic good time.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think they're all recolours, yeah, but there's some nice looking skins there, and a few are free in the prize track too.

I don't know that two days per mode is gonna be enough time, but then again sometimes the two week takeovers can wear out their welcome, so whatever.

Got a win yesterday where I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been Loba we'd have been screwed, first time for everything I suppose! We got in a protracted, messy fight that left us well out in the ring with limited healing, with another team trying to keep us out of zone, so we had to go the long way round and use the Loba ult to tactically grab enough meds and heat shields to keep everyone just about alive till we could slip back into zone.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is but it's so good!

I'm looking forward to the "every time someone dies the rounds get shorter" mode because that feels like an extremely chaotic good time.

As someone who traditionally aims to drop on the quieter side, I foresee a lot of "okay, we're down, we're looting, the ring is kind of far but was have time OH FUCK THIRTY PEOPLE JUST DIED GO GO GO!".

Or alternatively, some 4th or 5th rings with fairly quiet/timid lobbies where a bunch of people die and it becomes a cascading clusterfuck as the jumping ring eats a bunch of people, assuming it causes the ring to jump rather than just countdowns to jump or accelerate (I haven't gotten to watch the video yet, so apologies if this is covered in there, just spitballing off the cuff here...)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's a shame the second chance game mode was bugged, I was having fun with that one for the brief period it was online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6z5pWfik6M

(My heart was racing after that one, I tell you what!)

I had an absolutely wild game yesterday where we were a squadmate down to begin with, dropped on the opposite side of the map from zone, had to basically sprint between constant firefights respawning one another (thank goodness for the Black Market!) And then in the final ring we wound up trapped in a tiny corner of Salvage, separated from the rest of the circle by a ravine, whilst the other two teams fought. I could get across to the other side with my bracelet but my Crypto team mate was totally stuck, dropped him my triple take so he could at least try and poke until the ring closed on him, it took four attempts for the bracelet to actually work and by that time the last surviving enemy player had healed up and we then got into an extremely clumsy, frantic fight cos I slipped off a roof trying to get an angle and basically fell on her head, managed to win but I'm not sure how!

Also Respawn released a tiny teaser for Season 9, looks like Olympus is being updated (but not destroyed as is the custom for map updates) and there was a blink and you'll miss it shot of what is presumably the new legend, who looks like they have some sort of jetpack/hoverpack situation.

Excellent work, there should be a badge for that!

I managed to somehow get three wins yesterday despite mostly just running around looking for the season 9 teaser holospray thingies, only five wins to go till I hit 100 on Loba! Even though my aim is generally pretty bad and I tend to panic at the first sign of danger I feel like I've gotten pretty good at knowing when and where we need to move to have the best chance at winning, which granted isn't that useful when I'm normally playing without a mic on pub matches, but hey.

This is a full match video so it's kinda long, but I've timestamped the actual action for anyone interested, I was playing with my sister so there was a lot of chatting and not a lot of optimal looting going on in between, but it's one of the best games I've had in a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_jLze_HJw&t=760s

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/apex-legends-mobile-regional-betas
    apex-mobile-art-featured-image.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg
    Hey everyone, this is Chad Grenier, Game Director on Apex Legends. Today I’m here to talk to you about a new game: Apex Legends Mobile.

Beginning later this month, we're kicking off the first regional beta tests for Apex Legends Mobile. This is a huge moment for our team. Two years ago we changed the landscape of the battle royale genre, and now we’re aiming to do it again on mobile.

Apex Legends Mobile is specially designed for touchscreens, with streamlined controls and thoughtful optimizations that result in the most advanced battle royale combat available on a phone.

It’s a new version of Apex Legends, but it’s true to the original.

Still f2p, entirely separate game so no cross-play. Betas kicking off soon in India and the Philippines. Developed by Respawn.

Also: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/legacy
    Next season is not called Season 9, it's just called Legacy. Valkyrie as a new legend, plus a new weapon, the Bocek Bow. Olympus becoming Infested Olympus, overgrown with vines and plants and stuff.
    Datamine:
    Infested Olympus has huge thorny vines everywhere and giant bulbs, somewhat based on the map Exoplanet from Titanfall 2

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    oh, it's Viper's daughter

i wonder if she's going to have a mini Flight Core as an ult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFccbH2c1Zs

you can skip the beginning, it's just the setup for the joke

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    How have I never taken double spitfires?!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Oh I did not think the war games would let you earn badges since it’s way easier to rack up damage

But I guess I got hammer on Bangalore now. I’ve been close a few times on rampart and bloodhound before so that’s fun

I did have 7 kills so it wasn’t all garbage damage

616610-1.png
    Season trailer, "arenas gameplay reveal 4/26," TDM???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oshvcDjEKZc

Arenas info, leaks and datamine
    Arenas is a 3v3 (and potentially 3v3v3) TDM mode set on at least one unique map, like the one in the Arena teaser sidequest that's currently in-game

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I play a match or two nearly every day and I had no idea there was an elaborate in-game teaser.

How are people finding out about these things?

edited April 2021
    A combination of dataminers finding stuff early, and players stumbling across it and youtubers making guides on it

Anyway to start it, you have to open up a care package and grab one of the Corrupted Keycards that pop out, then in the lobby screen click on the phone in the bottom right of the screen. After that, find 3 holosprays on each map and interact with them, they're the circle logo that Ash uses in that trailer, there's one on nearly every PoI on both maps.
    After that, go into the training course, and find a new thing to interact with.

Crippl3 on
    It's also not that far off a pattern they've used before. "Get a thing, go to firing range, get other mcguffins on the maps, see next thing".

I started playing in Season 5 and I'm pretty sure this is at least the third time its popped up now. Maybe more, the seasons do kinda blur together in this era where time is meaningless.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think based on the video there is going to (eventually at least) be one Arena map for each current BR map. It looked as if they were trying to replicate each of them in different ways.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    I'm not really a fan of deathmatch, personally, and given that I rarely get to play with more than 1 friend, if they push it hard (like highly incentivizing playing the mode with the battlepass or other perks), it'll likely only be through gritted teeth where I go in with randoms and expect it to be a mess under good circumstances.

I hope they experiment with it though. Get some 5v5 going on. Or 10 v 10 but on a single team. Imagine a game with 10 opponents to hunt/be hunted by and you're not seeing like 1/4 of them playing the same Legend? Would people get salty over not getting to pick 'their' Legend? Sure, but it'd also reward folks for trying/mastering more characters. Incentivize having a wide pool of Legends you can play, not just focusing on one or two and flipping the table if you don't get it.

Probably reaching a bit far here for a variety of reasons, but a man can dream.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I want the Lifeline skin from the battlepass but I hadn't played more than a couple matches with some friends this season.

I may have played enough to gain like 30 levels in the past two days.

Good luck catching up. Having all those weeklies backlogged will help, but overcoming like 3 months of missing dailies will be a climb for sure.

Yeah, best of luck! I think it should be possible to hit level 50 with the time left, but it will be tight.

The trailer definitely makes it look like multiple arena maps. I don't know how interested I am in an arena mode necessarily, but at the very least it should be decent practice for taking fights, kinda like the mirage holiday train mode. I wonder if there'll be any sort of handicap system in place for the different legends, I'd imagine characters like Crypto, Wattson or Loba wouldn't have as much value on a smaller map maybe.

I love an arena shooter so I'm all in, this game's got great shooting and the 16 seconds I spend shooting are the best part of any match so I'm excited to get to do it more!

now that you guys mention it i wonder if the War Games LTMs were QA/balance tests of the kind of mechanics they might use for arenas

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    They're also e
    Orphane wrote: »
    now that you guys mention it i wonder if the War Games LTMs were QA/balance tests of the kind of mechanics they might use for arenas

100% - most LTM's are tests of mechanics in some way.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Considering how quickly some of those LTMs disappeared (I presume due to them being glitchy/screwing up servers/wreaking other havoc) that they'll need a little more time in the oven. IIRC we were supposed to have 5 different modes but 3 of them lasted less than a day.

Yeah, the second chance mode was noticeably bugged as it didn't record your kills/knocks/wins properly (I assume cos they deactivated the wrath and wake badges for that mode), and then the mode where the ring was supposed to close faster each time a player died never made it into the rotation at all.

I'm now at 99 Loba wins, aaaaa! I never thought I'd be able to get even close to 100.

Well it's been a sweaty few weeks, but I finally fucking did it.
    fdv2Cve.png

I'm treading water, but it's not impossible to get there. 200'ish points from Gold II, so 700 or so from Plat.

A week and change means it'll take some effort and luck, but I've been getting a few games in here and there.

I'm definitely staying the fuck away from Ranked next split though. I've had quite enough of playing 'silver' filled with former Plat players for a bit (not that one can get away from skilled players easily, but grinding into Gold in the first half of this season did me no favours).

Funny thing is, for the one that got me across the finish line I didn't even realise I was playing a ranked game...

My buddy is still in gold, and while I've already got promoted and he hasn't I don't normally subject him to the sweaty plat lobbies, so intended to drop duos. Ended up with a rando third, strange, but I assumed I'd just mis-clicked slightly and gone for standard threes.

Managed to get a few KP a piece by the last few circles, but was perplexed by the intensity that people were playing at and only realised in the final 3 that I was sat on 80 ranked points.

MFW when we take 1 squad, but then got domed by a Kraber at the start of the final 3v3, leaving me short of promo by about 50 points.
    Jake_shocked_6887.png

MFW my buddy and the rando totally clutch the 2v3 for the win to get me the 200+ points I needed to finally get diamond.
    tenor.gif?itemid=7382745

41NhF18.png

when the game ends before round 3 finishes because everyone is killing each other

we dropped rift and it was pretty god damn hot, and we ended up leaving via the Phase Runner because too many teams were showing up - i walked out of Phase Runner with 500 dmg but no kills since i was sniping

then we 3rd partied a fight happening at the base of Grow Towers and looted up, then us and 2 other teams converged at Solar Array, then 1 last team came in and we put their bodies in the van and then we were the winners

I did it! Aaaaaa!

l5mqfha2v4kw.jpg

I know this is more an achievement that takes time rather than particular skill like the kills/damage badges, but I'm pretty pleased regardless given my general issues when it comes to, like, aiming, and moving, and aiming while moving!
    My 100th win was a pretty hilariously inept carry by my sister where I managed to get 0 kills and nothing but assists, so not exactly auspicious.

I've moved to playing more Bangalore for now, might go back to Loba if the new season brings any interesting changes to her, it's neat how having abilities you can use in combat changes how you play.

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is there a discord for this?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ein wrote: »
    Is there a discord for this?

There's a channel for Apex on the PA discord. Not a lot of chat, but a good few of us use it for voice regularly.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Gold I as of tonight, just over 480 RP to go in 8 days.

60 per night might be peanuts for some of you folks, but it might be close.

Unless they're like tonight. If all of my random groups were like these, I'd get there no sweat.

Except for the fucking revenant who simply couldn't be trusted in the tridents, and also fucking LOVED being in the tridents.

I don't know what it is about randoms and those stupid things, but the next Ring stage can be 50 feet away and they'll be honking that horn like we're about to go on a two week road trip to make it to safety.

If nothing else, I can't wait to be playing somewhere other than Olympus again... oh fuck, right, we've got Infested Olympus or whatever coming.

Ugh. Hopefully like the train on WE, they'll have those shut down for a bit or something to change it up. Yes, for the variety, and totally not because most of the playerbase cannot be entrusted with driving those things, and doesn't seem to mind that they announce our presence to everyone in a two mile radius.

I understand that they're frustrating if you're trying to take the game seriously and win but as someone who plays Apex a lot more casually and almost never in ranked, I love any and all Trident shenanigans. I don't cause them, I'm not a dickhead, but I find the Tridents absolutely delightful and everything stupid that happens with them is great.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    There's an article about Arenas on the website.
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/introducing-arenas

There's a nice little quality-of-life change tucked into the bottom of the article. One free daily challenge re-roll.
    Since we know some of you may only want to play one mode or the other, you can re-roll daily Challenges and choose for the new challenge to be for Arenas or Battle Royale. We’ve also made the first re-roll of the day free (additional ones still cost Legend tokens).