As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I don't usually like Fragment all that much but sometimes the drop works out for once when it's hot, but not too hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBR0ebJr_zI

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I have to say - I really kinda hate stormpoint as a map. Maybe I just need to play it more, but the flow is all off for me and I never seem to be able to get bearings on where shit is coming from. I vastly prefer Olympus and, to a lesser extent, World's Edge.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Love ittttttt

Too bad lifeline is garbage in BR mode. She is my most played character by far but she is just completely ineffective in most situations. I run Valkyrie now.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Wow I really hate Arenas now. It just took me 3 matches to get the "deal 400 damage in Arenas" daily. Three matches and not a single round won. Every other team has 1 or more absolute crackshots that just annihilate me. One match, of the ~750 damage I took, all but 15 came from a single person. I can't imagine Ranked Arenas is any better, right?

Guess I'll just give up on that format entirely.

Yyyyep arenas is miserable to play. Ranked isn’t any better because the matchmaking is still random. You can be gold and fighting predators, or you can be platinum fighting silvers. No idea what they were thinking.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    At this point, the second split had better open with an apology, maybe a nice bottle of wine and some roses, you know, really lay on the charm and romance considering how roughly THEY FUCKED ME. /Cartman

I mean, all kidding aside, this season is definitely a mess. I don't expect perfectly balanced matchmaking, but the drastic changes leaving the vaaaast majority of players in Gold or below has made ranked an even more fraught experience than it usually is as a mostly solo-queuer.

As much as I enjoy World's Edge, I don't know if that's actually going to be much better an experience. Oh sure, hopefully those who stick with Ranked will finally have realized that if 3/4 drop into Fragment, most of them are walking away with a negative (I will cheerfully veer off and leave my team of randoms to die if they want to go into that meatgrinder, sorry not sorry), but I'm doubtful it will be much of an improvement.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    There shouldn’t be a split with how grindy this has become. I’ve been diamond the last few seasons and I’m still in gold 1. I’m placing well (top 5 easily), but with how punishing early deaths are I have to play pretty conservatively, so I don’t have as many kills as I normally would. And since everybody plays like that now, every game is a full 20-25 minutes, meaning I get fewer matches in the same amount of time.

It’s not skill-based ranking if it takes you the entire time just to get to your skill level, that’s just a meaningless grind.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    There shouldn’t be a split with how grindy this has become. I’ve been diamond the last few seasons and I’m still in gold 1. I’m placing well (top 5 easily), but with how punishing early deaths are I have to play pretty conservatively, so I don’t have as many kills as I normally would. And since everybody plays like that now, every game is a full 20-25 minutes, meaning I get fewer matches in the same amount of time.

It’s not skill-based ranking if it takes you the entire time just to get to your skill level, that’s just a meaningless grind.

I'm guessing this is something they'll tune. Either with longer seasons, or reducing the amount of rank drop between splits.

Campy wrote: »

I'm guessing this is something they'll tune. Either with longer seasons, or reducing the amount of rank drop between splits.

Patch notes are out. Flat 10 rp reduction on entry for all ranks and more rp from both placement and kp.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/awakening-collection-event

Rampage and R301 out of crafter, wingman and CAR in.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Control's back! I love Control!

Day 1 player here: 3 years, 4 months, 2900 hours played… finally got heirloom shards. Honestly not really sure what to do with them so just going to sit on them for a bit.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Hah, I also got some heirloom shards last month, I wasn't fully counting but I'm pretty sure they were the guaranteed ones from the 500th pack, or close to it, but much the same as you none of the legends I really play have heirlooms yet, so I guess I'm waiting.

schuss wrote: »

Patch notes are out. Flat 10 rp reduction on entry for all ranks and more rp from both placement and kp.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/awakening-collection-event

Rampage and R301 out of crafter, wingman and CAR in.

Also note that next split will be a fall of 4 steps (one full rank) rather than 6 like it usually is.

Of course, something like 95% of the playerbase is between Rookie and Gold, so that's not going to change much other than bringing the few Plats out there back into the general population pool for a bit.

The 10 point reduction in entry fees will help, but it'll also take a bunch of games to really have an impact, and as usual will take a while for people to climb.

At least people may actually be interested in doing some climbing, seeing as there'll be a ton in Silver/Gold who used to hit Plat or even Diamond consistently and have been struggling.

Playing on World's Edge without Fragment being quite as guaranteed to be a shitshow (oh, I have no doubts it'll still be a shitshow, but maybe not '80% of the lobby lands across 3 buildings' bad) should be interesting.

I'm liking the demotion reduction and game cost reduction. Not entirely sure about the KP for higher kill games though. I feel like the player base could have done a bit more time in the no apeing oven... Should hopefully mean more KP for us overall though, so playing in 3s will be more profitable.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Prevented Tridents from landing on top of Armories.

Noooooooooo. That was so fun though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

This happened to me once. I was equal amounts confused, annoyed and impressed.

How do you actually get the thing on top?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Horizon tactical is one of the easiest ways.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    There's also ways to ramp the car off of specific rocks/bumps/convenient geometry to land it on top of all the armory locations, but some of them are pretty precise.

I am gonna be so sad when the Wingman goes craftable and I won't be able to make it as I'll have to make a mandatory backpack or some other bullshit. I have just recently discovered how much I love it as a 'newbie' in skill level grinding up this game.

Spectrum wrote: »
    Though truthfully, for me, it's more that I have guns that I hate than I necessarily love my top guns that much more than everything else. I can't stand the Triple Take or the Bocek and I've never been fond of the Hemlok.
    In the spirit of continued improvement, I found a very early Boosted Loader this game and decided to deliberately use both the Triple Take and the Hemlok to try and get better with them.

https://youtu.be/e2KEKIjckFc

Not so bad with that thing speeding things up.

XNnw6Gk.jpg

Horizon tactical is one of the easiest ways.

Octane jump pad in a pinch as well.

edited June 2022
    First time hitting this mark on any Legend:
    GcWCMYih.png

Turns out Fuse+Horizon is a pretty mean combo when you can get it working
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiHszKsDd34

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    I got my first 'everyone killed at least 3 people in a win' badge.... which means I'm contributing. It's a start.

Conversely a buddy and I just loaded in as a duo in trios and got a win where we killed 2 people and did maybe 500 damage combined.

Straight up had a sightseeing tour of Olympus followed by flagrantly stealing the win from people who did all the work.

Forar wrote: »
    Conversely a buddy and I just loaded in as a duo in trios and got a win where we killed 2 people and did maybe 500 damage combined.

Straight up had a sightseeing tour of Olympus followed by flagrantly stealing the win from people who did all the work.

Some people would just call that executing smart rotations and only picking fights you know you'll win or you have to win.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    What? I thought that to win games (in ranked) you needed to scream at the jumpmaster for not going to your desired POI, break off and go elswhere, get killed in a 1v3 and then just harass the jumpmaster the rest of the match.

Some people would just call that executing smart rotations and only picking fights you know you'll win or you have to win.
    The only fight you HAVE to win is the last one.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    I'll barely make it into silver this split as I took a long break then couldn't stomach the game for a bit after Uvalde.
    The new ranked system definitely has better games, but some of the lobbies are absolute shit given I'm paired with legit rookies (lev 70 and below) against people who have platinum badges.

I keep eating CTDs every 4th or 5th game or so from DXDI_ errors mostly on Storm Point, which hasn't given me a ton of motivation this split either. It's really depressing when what should be a +100 or better game ends up as +70 or so because of an early crash, and I need those games to balance out the occasional -25.

XNnw6Gk.jpg

The only fight you HAVE to win is the last one.

Thank you for the video title inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAyLp9afc2s

Pulse pounding action it isn't, but 'put up a zipline mass transit system, and act as a mobile area denial team' was actually kinda fun.

A collection event where you can actually get points on the tracker while playing the LTM? It's a Christmas miracle!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    WOO I got my 3060 Ti installed today! I can play on High settings and see things that are far away!

I also crashed 2-3 times just today, which is more than I have in the last couple seasons put together...so that's less great.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    I'm loving control being back. Sometimes you just want to get in big fights.

4 out of 5 Ranked game attempts in a row with point suicide by the jump master with the shittiest fucking hot drops. How the fuck am I supposed to even try to climb in pugs?

This is just abject suffering.

4 out of 5 Ranked game attempts in a row with point suicide by the jump master with the shittiest fucking hot drops. How the fuck am I supposed to even try to climb in pugs?

It's the last few days of the season, so definitely more filled with crappy behavior. I got my rank up so I'm just chilling until next split.

It's the last few days of the season, so definitely more filled with crappy behavior. I got my rank up so I'm just chilling until next split.
    Yeah I was also experiencing it was pulling teeth yesterday. I hit the small goal I set for myself and so I'm done for the split also.

Just so many teammates who can't win a 1v1, don't understand what fights not to take, don't understand how or when to disengage from a fight, all in the same package. I understand if you're bloodthirsty and are trying more of a style where you're roaming looking for fights instead of playing for late zone but you'd think that if you're opting into that that you can at least win a single gunfight...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    don't understand how or when to disengage from a fight
    Speaking of which, Valk makes this trivial but sometimes you just need to book it.

https://youtu.be/lsyt18yBKwY

(It's kind of a crutch for bad rotations and for bad fights.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Just so many teammates who can't win a 1v1, don't understand what fights not to take, don't understand how or when to disengage from a fight, all in the same package. I understand if you're bloodthirsty and are trying more of a style where you're roaming looking for fights instead of playing for late zone but you'd think that if you're opting into that that you can at least win a single gunfight...

I'm not defending this behavior, because control exists now, but in the absence of a mode like that it can be really hard to get gunfight practice and I think people emulate what they see streamers do. I'm sure there are streamers/YouTube people who focus on winning and playing strategically but big kill counts and streaks are what's flashy and I think it's what people are trying to do, to the detriment of actually playing the right way to win.

Peen wrote: »

I'm not defending this behavior, because control exists now, but in the absence of a mode like that it can be really hard to get gunfight practice and I think people emulate what they see streamers do. I'm sure there are streamers/YouTube people who focus on winning and playing strategically but big kill counts and streaks are what's flashy and I think it's what people are trying to do, to the detriment of actually playing the right way to win.
    For the record I was also complaining about Ranked. If you're playing to practice, then I kinda think you should be queueing for Normal? Like 2/3 of the lobby dies in World's Edge in the first few minutes due to dropping Fragment.

XNnw6Gk.jpg