As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This might be wishful thinking but I feel like I'd recognize any of the characters by their model and animations, regardless of the skin. I know there are a lot of characters in the game now so maybe that isn't actually true but it feels true.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I always appreciated in WoW and Team Fortress 2 that there was an effort to keep the silhouette of the character similar enough to have that quick identification advantage.

But there's also that one Mirage skin that makes me wonder if I'm actually fighting a Seer or not.

Eh, it's less ideal, and I'm not advocating for intentionally making it worse, but at the same time a lot of battles start and end at ranges where the target isn't much more than a few distant pixels firing in my direction unless I've got a 2x4 or better scope on, and with 22 Legends and counting, quick and easy identification by outline is probably going to be an increasingly uphill battle even if they keep at it.

Hopefully they walk that balance well. Honestly, a lot of the time a character using abilities is the identifier rather than the various skins in use.

Looking at them again, I don't think it'll be a huge issue at the Gold/Plat tier I play at.

Lifeline, Fuse, and Horizon's skins definitely stand out, and I'd say the Loba one is growing on me.

I might finally have to adjust my controller setup to allow for inspecting. I really wish they found a more elegant answer for that issue than "oops, guess you need to manually use your survival slot item from inventory", which is usually not a big deal for respawn beacons, but is rather time sensitive in the case of heat shields.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ugh that Mirage/Seer confusion is too real.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    My biggest model confusions are some of the mid-size femme characters — I've had a few times where I get Lifeline's punk skin or Loba's lawbreaker skin confused with Mad Maggie at the right distance, or Lifeline's snowboarder skin compared to Vantage. Mirage is definitely the king of model confusions among masc characters though, for similar reasons of being the most thoroughly average in size and variable in skins

That said this game does a very good job in general at keeping characters distinct

Mortal Sky on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Weirdly I find I most often get Pathfinder and Valkyrie mixed up cos they both have things sticking up from their shoulders, but then again I am playing sat a comfortable distance from the TV, not exactly squinting at the pixels here.

New event is a lot of fun, I was slightly apprehensive the gun fun mode would just be a bit of a sweat fest, but so far it's felt good, even if some players are much better than others I've rarely felt like one time was hugely pulling ahead, the quick respawns make it fun to run around even if you're losing.

Whelp, I've peaked this season, it's all downhill from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XasVKLmHFwY

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well, I started this Beasts of Prey event way too late to actually get the Legendary stuff, and I just need to accept that.

Fuck FOMO bullshit though.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited October 2022
    New Stories from the Outlands

Edit: Noteworthy for a new trans character, can't wait for the shitlords on the internet to realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9p5r0icpw

Peen on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They already were losing their shit at some promo materials that featured mostly female or queer characters yesterday, literally these people can't handle looking at something that isn't a lineup of straight male characters

edited October 2022
    At first I thought they were leaning a bit hard into it (with repeated references), then I realized they were just making it unambiguous, and appreciated that facet.

Dipshits gonna dipshit, the rest of us will have a new Legend and map to play with.

Forar on
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    My only complaint is I feel like I learned nothing else about the character. They’re trans and somehow joining a blood sport is going to save their planet. But like, abilities, history, what’s their character like?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Well, we do also know she's into fortune telling/witchy stuff, I guess, and I assume her abilities are going to be using the magnetic fluid goop, but I'd agree there could've been an extra scene or two to explain the middle steps that lead her to the games.

Also I might be misremembering, but didn't Big Sister, the gang boss from Rampart's trailer, have similar eye makeup/tattoos going on? I wonder if there's a connection there, or if it's just a case of 'looks cool.'

New map? New goop powers? Cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_VsTDmoGg

New Gameplay Trailer is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ZVZIqf4uM

Apparently we're getting a Character trailer on Thursday, or so I've read.

The seasonal page has updated as well.

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/eclipse

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    This map looks incredible. This is every lesson they've learned yet - just the best-of from the other maps, design-wise.

The Devs did a breakdown of every POI and most of the large ones can support multiple teams so no Fragment problems.

Ziplines are the best thing about the map after the visuals and I really hope you can ride them around the entire map in one go.

Everyone complained that Storm Point was too spaced out and no fights were to be had, and MoonMap completely reverses that.

Getting Olympus and Moon in the same season is just very good.

Also, they do the trailer ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM thing to show off that we're getting stickers, but the Season page doesn't yet explicitly say it, however on the Reddit post about the new season, yes, we are explicitly getting stickers.

The ones shown are purple, so presumably Epic tier. You can only put them on healing items, and one on each (so 5 I guess), and you don't control where or how they're placed. No stickers on legend or weapon skins.

As per SOP, the takes range from 'oh, okay, cool' to 'THIS IS AN OUTRAGE EA/RESPAWN DILUTING THE LOOT POOL FURTHER RAWR'.

It's not exactly the mechanic that'll set the gaming world ablaze (or 100% new, obviously), but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, the stickers don't do much for me, I'd be more interested if you could slap them on your guns, or if they were customisable in some way, but hey, I'll probably use them more than holosprays, I guess.

I say lettem dilute the loot pool. After four years I have the cool skins I want for each character, and those skins are like the default skins to me now anyways.

Add more emotes to inspecting heirlooms maybe?

New character trailer; she seems cool and fine and like she'll be rough in the endgame, which means the pro players will complain about her and hopefully the devs leave her alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spInke3sN6o

The last week of waiting for a new season is always rough. I just want the patch notes at this point, but respect that they likely won't be handing those out until Monday, to avoid too many assholes exploiting too many things that they note in the bug fixes section.

Part of me wants to get a few more rounds in and see if I can't surpass my previous season win personal best, part of me has really enjoyed just... not having to worry about logging in for dailies and weekly progression and ranked grind and BP levels and whatnot.

Eh, I'll have a bunch of free time on the weekend, maybe I'll get one last marathon session in then.

And the Patch Notes are up!

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/eclipse-patch-notes

Not a whole lot that we didn't know about already, the weapons going into/out of the care package and crafter are interesting, and I totally called the ring 1 pre-close time change, but they have said they're pretty happy with the state of the game (bugs and issues aside, of course) so I'm not surprised this one seems to be more about getting a new map and legend into the pool and seeing what happens.

edited October 2022
    I'm reluctant to post battle pass trailers in here at this point, we all know what the deal is, but there's one out there making the rounds if you care to see the new skins.

Edit: patch thoughts

-hell yeah Anvil Receiver's back on the floor, I love that guy.
    -similarly bye bye boosted loader, you useless bit.
    -sneaky interesting change to the Mastiff with the reload cancel via ADS, I know overall the changes are a nerf but I do love an easy reload cancel.

Peen on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Having trouble deciding on which Legend to unlock next? Want to try a few different tacticals and ultimates before pulling the trigger? Now you can! In the Firing Range, all Legends are unlocked, giving players the ability to test out Legends that they don’t own yet.

Finally, why did this take so long

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    And the Patch Notes are up!

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/eclipse-patch-notes

Not a whole lot that we didn't know about already, the weapons going into/out of the care package and crafter are interesting, and I totally called the ring 1 pre-close time change, but they have said they're pretty happy with the state of the game (bugs and issues aside, of course) so I'm not surprised this one seems to be more about getting a new map and legend into the pool and seeing what happens.

I had hoped that Pathfinder may get a better passive with the prominence of zip lines on the new map. Oh well.

Anvil Receiver being back on the ground is nice. It wasn't really a 'must have' hopup for me, but I do appreciate it.

Can't say I ever really put the Kinetic Feeder or Boosted Loader to real work, so them going into the vault doesn't bother me at all, but I will miss the Hammerpoints and RE-45 on the ground (though I don't believe I really got to play with Disruptor Rounds, so maybe it'll be a care package weapon I actually make a point of using with semi-proficiency).

Video previews of the map are starting to show up; this is on me but I'm less immediately blown away than I was by Olympus, it was so gorgeous and different from the others and Broken Moon shares a lot of the same architectural styles as the others with a different skybox so it's not hitting me quite as hard. I will say the zip rails look fun as hell, inasmuch as I expect to get shot off of them at least 50% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bak6Hq7I104

Without even touching the map I already know I'll like ziprails more than Tridents.

Mainly because randoms are idiots and assholes when it comes to the things. We can be 50 feet from the ring, have a fine position, be rotating into a spot for looting and picking our next move, when someone decides to throw their brain aside, hop in one, blaring the horn and announcing our presence to everyone within a 3 mile radius, for no appreciable gain.

Yeah, yeah, on occasion they can be put to good use, and swift movement combined with portable cover that can't be damaged has potential in the right hands.

But the average player I run into does not usually qualify as the right hands.

Oh, I'm sure some will still suicidally hop on one for a trek around the map while drawing plenty of attention to them/us and getting little done for it, but as much as I do enjoy Olympus and Storm Point in their own ways, Tridents will forever remain on my shitlist.

Burned too many times. Sometimes literally.

I’m the opposite, I always feel like my crew isn’t making enough use of Tridents. Especially with how brutal the ring was this season on storm point, I think Tridents are vastly underused

I find Tridents intensely hilarious at all times but that's probably not what you want in ranked and I also don't trust randoms with them at all.

edited November 2022
    NEW MAP IS GREAT. It's the exact opposite of Storm Point, with the zip-lines getting you anywhere you want very quickly. They boosted the time before first ring closes to 90 seconds, and combined with the zips I never fear playing a slow Rampart or Wattson anymore on the edge of maps.

Catalyst seems like a joy to play with defensive characters. She stalls a base long enough that Rampart/Caustic/Wattson can set up. She slows the tempo of the fight, and looks really powerful against ambushes.

Might get the battlepass, but I did the last one and doing consecutive ones has never been my thing - might get burned out trying to max it!

OmnomnomPancake on
    Played my first round on the new moon, got a win... "do I abandon the season and go out on top with a perfect 100% win ratio?"

Obviously not, but it was nice to get an early win in all the same. Wasn't a barnstormer of a game or anything, but we killed some folks, earned our keep, as it were.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Played my first round on the new moon, got a win... "do I abandon the season and go out on top with a perfect 100% win ratio?"

Obviously not, but it was nice to get an early win in all the same. Wasn't a barnstormer of a game or anything, but we killed some folks, earned our keep, as it were.

The exact same thing happened to me; first game and got a win.

Almost died to the ring during the game as we got caught in a dead end and had to go back in but we thankfully had enough heat shields for it.

I got zero kills; a bunch of assists, but never got a killing blow.

PSN Fleety2009
    Finally got my PS4 to remember it's supposed to download things.
    New map is pretty cool, and plays very well, but I wish it looked a little more moon-like, with the blue underneath it sometimes looks more like a big, rocky island, I was imagining something a little more sci-fi, but it's not a big deal.

I do find myself more and more wanting some kind of super casual mode though, I'm just trying to relax after work, I don't need every other team in pubs to be a pred/masters three-stack! Something with no stats or badges, maybe drop-in/drop-out in some capacity, would suit me just fine.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I’ve always regarded the events as casual. Probably the only way to stay sane for things like control or gun run.

At worst I use those events as a way to practice weapons.

PSN Fleety2009
    Hey you guys played this Apex Legends? I played some this morning for the first time in maybe 4 months, maybe a little longer, and goddamn if it isn't a very fun video game. I've been mired in another game's slightly miserable PvP offering and boy was Apex a breath of fresh air. I hear what some of you are saying about the lack of chill but the thing is, my random teammates in the Trios queue this morning were all pretty on the ball, sticking together, getting revives, pinging stuff, if the general quality of play has raised to "everyone sorta knows what's going on" that's good enough for me because I never ever expect to win and just want to have a good time.

Anyway we should jump in the PA Discord and use the group and stuff and get it poppin' as a crew

How might one get into the PA discord? I play with my brothers but we can often use a 3rd.

You should just be able to click on this here link, the Apex threads have been pretty dead but they don't have to stay that way!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    There are definitely a handful of us who are on PC regularly, we just don't post much in the actual Discord chat.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited November 2022
    Havok with a turbocharger feels pretty good now huh? I didn't know what to expect because they change it at least once per season, feels like anyway, but I had one last night and it was pretty easy to control.

Peen on