As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I continue to hate the havoc and the Devo, even with the turbo. The r301 and flatline are both better primaries.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately they knocked the damage down by 1 when the turbo is equipped. At this point only the volt is really worth using, maybe triple take with the new fire rate buff.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Flatline has been my most coveted pick-up; lot of mid-range gunfights where it really shines, especially with some of the funky territories late circles land.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Had a win just now where one of my teammates and I both had 4 kills and 5 knockdowns and our other teammate didn't do any damage at all and spent most of the match at critical health despite both of us pinging medkits over and over. I wasn't mad about it, clearly it turned out ok, but I'm really curious about that person's experience because they followed us well enough and got on my valk ult once so they could figure out some of the buttons but not some of the most important ones.

Edit: also the rampage goes pretty hard out of the package huh. Is the spitfire worth crafting? I haven't fired it since they changed it over to light ammo.

Peen on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Havok with a turbocharger feels pretty good now huh? I didn't know what to expect because they change it at least once per season, feels like anyway, but I had one last night and it was pretty easy to control.

It was either last season or the one before that where they really toned down the initial recoil on the Havoc, it was a huge buff that kinda went unnoticed by many.

I mean it changed it from "I'd never ever touch it" to at least being a thought if it's early and I'm trying not to compete with teammates over ammo, I'll take that.

Even at its peak I didn’t think the spitfire had enough DPS to be worth picking up. I wouldn’t waste materials on crafting one unless I was desperate for something that wasn’t a P2020.

mRahmani wrote: »
    Even at its peak I didn’t think the spitfire had enough DPS to be worth picking up. I wouldn’t waste materials on crafting one unless I was desperate for something that wasn’t a P2020.

Several seasons ago the spitfire was very oppressing. It had good damage, headshot multiplier was higher, and the magazine size was massive. It definitely deserved the nerf it got at the time.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I was a huge spitfire enthusiast for easily a year or two, but between widening the spread and removing its ability to take barrel mods, it just isn’t effective/accurate enough (in my hands) for the sorts of ranges I want to engage people with it.

I’d still take one off the drop back when it was floor loot, but I can’t say I’ve gone out of my way to craft one yet.

Flatline or 301/Triple Take is probably my current ideal loadout.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Gotta say, as someone getting back into the game after a long break, I can appreciate the impulsive hot drop by a try-hard rando teammate. I need the practice in gunfights and scrambles and in the one of ?? times that you're the team who comes out on top of the pile it does feel pretty good. I'm probably going to start playing ranked again at some point but I'm enjoying the no-stakes nature of just bumming around in trios, trying all of the guns out and seeing what works when for me.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    OK, I will always hate "yet another Wraith skin"...but that does look super sick.
    Also Whiplash finisher, I guess?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The new skin is the mythic/heirloom level skin, it not just another legendary.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ugh, the contrast between season 14 and 15 is giving me whiplash of a different sort. I was on a tear, nearly 10% win rate, made Plat early, it was smooth sailing.

This season is a mess. Ranked (Silver/Gold) is full of former predators, masters, multi-diamonds, people with 10k, 20k, 40k+ kills, three stacks with more kills on a single legend apiece than I have on my entire account, etc.

So I go to trios for a slightly less sweaty experience, and randoms continue to hurl themselves off the map for no explicable reason, or leave even solid games (we're getting kills, rolling squads, and yet they leave and disconnect entirely, not just a crash).

Yeah, I know the matchmaker is a common point of complaint, but I've never felt more like just some target/punching bag for people ten times better at the game.

I'm putting in the drops and aiming for my usual completion of the battlepass and hitting Plat, but I'm thinking a long term break is in order.

I don't want kills and wins served up on a platter, but we're nearly a month into the season and that feeling hasn't changed.

Just needed to vent. Allegedly they're planning on making substantial changes to the matchmaking algorithm soon (Dec or early next year). We'll see, but I'm not expecting improvements (especially in my game, as the example given was about changing how high and low skilled players are handled while grouped together, and as someone who is already the low skilled player I suspect this just means more diamonds in my lower tier lobbies). At least the anniversary event will probably be kinda neat.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited December 2022
    I picked up a Rampage in a box last night (barely used, very choice) and my team made it all the way to the final circle and somehow I'd never noticed that the red Rampage has a hell of a zoomy scope on it when you're trying to use it very close, I got rushed by a dude and instinctively hit the left trigger and then whoa baby they disappeared and I switched over to hip firing and still managed to trade but I'm just not sure that's the zoom value I want on an LMG*.

*Are there times it's probably nice? I'm sure there are but I was rocking it and a triple tap and so I didn't need to shoot anything far away with it.

Edit: Ok also could I get quicker in the menus on controller and have swapped out the triple tap for a real shotgun? Yeah probably but those last few circles are hectic and I have slow controller hands, leave me be.

Peen on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Ugh, the contrast between season 14 and 15 is giving me whiplash of a different sort. I was on a tear, nearly 10% win rate, made Plat early, it was smooth sailing.

This season is a mess. Ranked (Silver/Gold) is full of former predators, masters, multi-diamonds, people with 10k, 20k, 40k+ kills, three stacks with more kills on a single legend apiece than I have on my entire account, etc.

I'm with you there, granted I'm not very good in general, but this season has felt especially crunchy. I even jumped into ranked for a few games to try and avoid the high skill players, but even way down in rookie 4 every game I played was won by at least a 4k/20 kill badge player, if not diamond or higher, it's pretty messy! I don't particularly mind losing, but I'd like to at least have a chance every now and then, feels like there's not much space for casual play right now. Even when you get filtered down into lower lobbies out of pity, one or two half-decent placements throws you back in with the sharks.

Ah well, I'll probably just play a bunch of winter express, not my favourite LTM (I'd have liked to at least see a few different track loops for variety) but there's nothing wrong with it, and at least it has respawns!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I picked up a Rampage in a box last night (barely used, very choice) and my team made it all the way to the final circle and somehow I'd never noticed that the red Rampage has a hell of a zoomy scope on it when you're trying to use it very close, I got rushed by a dude and instinctively hit the left trigger and then whoa baby they disappeared and I switched over to hip firing and still managed to trade but I'm just not sure that's the zoom value I want on an LMG*.

*Are there times it's probably nice? I'm sure there are but I was rocking it and a triple tap and so I didn't need to shoot anything far away with it.

Edit: Ok also could I get quicker in the menus on controller and have swapped out the triple tap for a real shotgun? Yeah probably but those last few circles are hectic and I have slow controller hands, leave me be.

Rampage is great for long range sieges as it's got a huge clip and consistent slow fire rate. If you like mid-range engages, it's hard to beat. I think repeater is better if you can hit your shots, but rampage is more reliable and nutso with a thermite.

Oh yeah I love it and I love that it comes with a thermite out of the box, that's a nice touch.

I appreciate very much dipping in and out of Apex because I'm just happy to be here and I don't notice the matchmaking problems you all seem to be having, it's refreshing after being in endless conversations about matchmaking in Destiny. I expect everyone to be better than me and to have shinier badges than me so when I do ok it's a pleasant surprise.

Hell yeah, Control's back next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFrrZ3j8hw4

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Leaks are indicating that they're gonna gut Arenas and make Control the new mode, which is very cool.

Arenas are fun, but their utility as a warm-up for Battle Royale was lacking. Now, I get a grindfest to warm up in with Control, and it's actually a viable mode I enjoy as well!

Here's hoping the big Legends role redo they're working on might account for some legends being absolute butt in non-BR.

Yep, they've released the patch-notes for the event, and Bloodhound has had their passive ability's 90 seconds on enemy hints reduced to 30 seconds. They're definitely angling Control as a permanent mode where Legends will be balanced specifically for.

That mad maggie skin is very cool, but I'm only at 2,100 crafted material, and can't see myself getting 300 more in time.

NGL my Apex playtime will go up a million percent if control comes in permanently. I can only do 3 or 4 battle royale rounds in a row, no matter the outcome it's all my old heart can bear, but I could play control all day.

Yep, they've released the patch-notes for the event, and Bloodhound has had their passive ability's 90 seconds on enemy hints reduced to 30 seconds. They're definitely angling Control as a permanent mode where Legends will be balanced specifically for.

That mad maggie skin is very cool, but I'm only at 2,100 crafted material, and can't see myself getting 300 more in time.

That Bloodhound change is only for control by my reading.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I basically stopped playing Apex around the time the last new map came out. I only briefly loaded up the game to check out the most recent map. No real problems with the game itself, I just got bored with the formula.

I'll shed no tears if Arena gets scrapped. I wanted a more casual, deathmatch-style game mode alongside the battle royale mode, but Arenas was pretty much the diametric opposite of what I wanted. I don't know why Respawn when in that direction when hot-dropping places like Skull Town and Fragment are so popular.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    When I briefly got back into Apex, Arenas was fun but there wasn't much point to them, and trials in destiny pretty much scratched the same itch for me and had the benefit of loot for my character. I haven't felt the urge to play apex in a while, mostly because I feel like the people still playing it are too good and whallop me pretty hard these days. Which is a shame because I was actually very good at the Arena mode in contrast.

I'll check out Control but honestly I've been having more fun futzing around in PUBG lately, I rarely win there either but I really get a kick out racking up kills in that game so for me a game with 5+ kills in PUBG is like winning lmao, in apex it feels like I'm constantly getting third partied and it feels bad man

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I started playing recently and I just don’t really like BRs all that much. I had an absolute blast with the train mode, though. I’d be very happy for a full time Control mode.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited January 2023
    It’s definitely really tough to get anybody into Apex who isn’t a die-hard at this point. The skill floor is just too high, there’s too much info you need to know to be even vaguely proficient. Character strengths and weaknesses, what weapons to run, when and how to rotate, what choke points to be aware of… I’ve tried to get a few people into the game and even though they like the mechanics of the game, it’s very clear that trying to learn feels like trying to drink out of a fire hose.

I think a rotating LTM mode would be a better choice than permanent control, but if true this is at least a step in the right direction. Control lets newbies who are otherwise competent at shooters get a feel for the game and characters without the stratospheric difficulty of BR.

mRahmani on
    The fixed loadouts (assuming it still works that way) are also nice because you can practice with different guns in live fire situations over and over instead of just whenever you find them, which I appreciate.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that’s mostly how it is for me. I did probably 30 or 40 BR matches, and I still felt every bit as lost and confused as the first time.

I really enjoy modes where some of my FPS experience is actually moderately useful, and the fixed loadouts are great for learning all the guns and adding a layers of constraint and predictability. I’d feel way less lost in BR if I had time to learn the guns and abilities in more structured match types and then only had to worry about learning map shit in BR when I decide to jump back into it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One problem Apex currently has is that when matchmaking, it solely considers the best player in a premade. So if you play with me, you're going to be playing my high gold / low plat enemies, with a few diamonds in the lobby. Even if you are my friend who keeps seeing me boot it and is playing for the first time. We did it for 2 hours, and he just dies 5 seconds into every fight, because he doesn't move and shoot at the same time, nor peek from cover.

This is supposed to get patched soon, but who knows.

In general the game is being played incredibly suboptimally right now though. Almost no-one plays for a win, everyone just wants to get into fights. My last game yesterday ended when my teammate gave up a defended high ground to wraith portal into a caustic barreled house yelling "PUSH NOW PUSH NOW"
    The gas ult nearly killed us, when I got outside I got sniped in the back by a third party.
    In that regard there is not that much to learn until you get pretty high up.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Apex at launch and was decent-ish at it for a year or two. But over time the overall skill improvement far outpaced my own.

NEW EVENT TIME BAYBEEEEEeeeee

Control is back and I just played and it is much better than previously:

Better balance to spawns makes it less awful if you're getting stomped/prevents stomps.

More varied gear load-outs at start of match.

People can join in-progress games, and get a boost of gear to compensate.

It is not Arenas.

If you cap all 3 points the game ends in 1 minute.

edited January 2023
    OH FUCK, this mode is great. It's a fun and fast way to warm up for the BR! I've finally been able to put in some solid time learning/grinding Rampart's Turret. Great mode to practice a gun you were having trouble with.

Hammond Labs - Crypto - Aggressively run to the enemy's base, shove the drone into a tree so they cannot see it, and play Sam Fisher Simulator 2023 and keep back-capping. I EMP, and run into my little honk honk car like Batman, and it feels great.

Lava Point - Rampart on Point B with turrets and walls feels like the coolest shit. It's the third Matrix movie with the mech dude and his big guns going ham and cheese on those robots as they breach the city. Any point with Rampart feels cool, but you give point B so much support. Could probably play Wattson, but Wattson on Point B feels like the cheesiest shit.

Barrometer - Wattson - Run like mad to the enemy base, capturing it gets your ult, and then you throw down 12 electric fences and it takes them forever to unwrap your little defence. If I'm salty I'll go Point B, but locking that down is dull, and this map has so many weird little vertical options that make mobile legends probably way more fun.

A single Crypto is THE GO TO for countering a 3-Wattson base hold. One EMP and all my work is GONE. Really fun to use against the enemy.

Best part of the mode is seeing 40 Pathfinder Ziplines screaming across the sky. Like Cirque Du Soleil or something, fuck yeah.

OmnomnomPancake on
    BIG APEX NEWS:

Horizon got nerfed, thank goodness. Her tactical no longer allows perfect aim while being thrust high into the sky, putting it in line with Pathfinder and Octane.

Also:

Valnetine's event has been leaked - Duos mode where healing/armouring gives it to teammate if in proximity. Damaging enemy's with a new bow will heal your teammate.

Hardcore mode has been leaked - White Evos, no armour swaps, few UI elements, etc.

The good shit is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ApexUncovered/

edited January 2023
    I love objective modes so control has been a favorite since it first released. I’ve been maining path and just throwing down a zipline express to the enemy base.

mRahmani on
    My only disappointment with Control is that Valkyrie just isn't that useful and it makes me sad, but at the same time playing more Rampart and Seer is fun so I don't really have any complaints.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I found Valkyrie to be really useful in previous Control games.

People play it similar to WoW bgs and fight between objectives meaning if you ult to take the other side’s first base, you will typically make them lose control of it, if not take it, in which case it snowballs in to the other side losing the middle.

Works more often than not.

PSN Fleety2009
    That's a smart thought, I'm usually playing solo and I'm no mega-slayer so jetting off alone feels like a bad idea but I'll keep it in mind for if I pick up some friends.

New event, new game type (I think?) called Hardcore Royale which has a limited HUD and no Evo Armor and no armor swapping and the ring starts at max damage and it all sounds very challenging but probably fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VldQc7Y_4H8

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Figured I should probably use my crafting materials at some point, so I unlocked the event Pathfinder skin.
    dp5xga3luahw.jpg