Options

Minneapolis is on fire.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    and that's even ignoring the fact that white supremacist terrorist groups have been deliberately infiltrating police departments for decades

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    and that's even ignoring the fact that white supremacist terrorist groups have been deliberately infiltrating police departments for decades

Yeah, like, my "slow continued propagation of memes inside the culture" ignores everything that happens outside that culture and how it can enter as well

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Really hard to stomach most of these protests knowing how many people were willing to advocate Gail King's murder earlier this year.

That said, we have generations of conditioning stating that the only tool police officers have is the hammer and the world is filled with nails.

Nevermind that real police work is less cowboy and more scribe/scholar/scientist.

The low entry threshhold for police would actually work in favor of reform if it were not for most police organizations being as politically complicated as Westeros.

I mean fuck, some of these police autobiographies look like it was the borgias in the 20th century.

But even then, assuming you get good cops in there, they have to spend most of their careers dealing with the backlog of shit left by their predecessors.

Good luck doing your job kid, Officer KKKlinton defrauded the department, bankrupted the city, and poisoned the community from every trusting us after their children kept "committing suicide" in his custody.

Then there's the rapes. 100 years of the "good girls dont....." and "she had it coming...." narratived reinforced by law enforcement .....

Which ultimately resulted in a culture that goes after Gail King.

America.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    of fucking course Tomi Larhen would think that Target = Your Community

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    it's amazing how many of the people i know disregard this completely because there's footage of looting.

"yeah, but they're looting"

i don't even know how to begin combating that bullshit

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    of fucking course Tomi Larhen would think that Target = Your Community

love my local mom and pop target

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    most of minneapolis will get on their knees and open wide for target

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    it's amazing how many of the people i know disregard this completely because there's footage of looting.

People will clutch at literally any possible argument to justify not examining it the status quo is maybe, just maybe, an enormous pile of shit.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Reminder: "Riots are the language of the unheard" - Martin Luther King Jr

In a system that values capital over human life the cry that yells the loudest is property damage.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    After the killing of Breonna Taylor, and the muted response to it, I was wondering how far things were going to get.
    Reopening before covid is under control was pushed most heavily when statistics showed it mostly affected poc.
    I'm just so... sick of the white supremacy. And I'm not even a target of it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Very hard to be an ocean away right now when some people I grew up with are on the streets risking their lives

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    After the killing of Breonna Taylor, and the muted response to it, I was wondering how far things were going to get.
    Reopening before covid is under control was pushed most heavily when statistics showed it mostly affected poc.

what gets me is how insanely blatant and obviously evil it all is

how can it continue happening without admitting we're all just complete shit

• Options
    Very hard to be an ocean away right now when some people I grew up with are on the streets risking their lives

I remember there were like 40-60 of us who ditched school to protest the invasion of Iraq, and this was a school of like, 80 kids

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

what gets me is how insanely blatant and obviously evil it all is

how can it continue happening without admitting we're all just complete shit

Far too many white Americans are either implicitly or explicitly fine with being on the "winning side" of White Supremacy, even as Whiteness itself is a precarious club that only certain European sub-ethnic groups are allowed permanent access to. Italians and Irish immigrants, for example, didn't really get to be "White" until many of their communities displayed decades of outright contempt for and violence against people of color in America. They wanted that sweet, sweet country club access, and they were willing to pay the blood price to get it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options

The biggest face turn of our modern age continues

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    who?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Had us in the first half

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I had my suspicions it might be a grift at the start but honestly what would he have to gain at this point

Comrade Daou

simulacrum on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    who?

peter daou was a hillary clinton advisor and also the guy behind the ill-conceived Veritt codes as a means of combatting fake news

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Part of me is like damn Peter, it sure would have been nice to see some of this when you were in a position to have your opinions actually matter, but eh, I'll take what I can get.

Feels like he woke up one morning and had one of those "what the fuck am I doing?" realizations, which is cool and all even if I selfishly wish he'd translate it into more direct action.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m about 2 hours outside of Minneapolis so this will not effect me.

Minnesota forumers should check in when they get a chance.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I'm in the south metro and haven't been north of the river in months because of the lockdown. I didn't hear about this until I saw this thread (I've mainly just been following virus stuff).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Good on the protestors. That dude should 100% be in jail woth no bond awaiting first appearance. Any other non cop person would be.

I used to think aw man don't grab a damned tv from target, it muddies the water.

Now? Fuck it. Clean out that store and burn it down. Just leave the actual local businesses alone. Fuck a kohls or auto zone or whatnot tho.

Edit / I credit this place with my accelerated beeline to the left btw. I shudder to think of my younger self.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Good on the protestors. That dude should 100% be in jail woth no bond awaiting first appearance. Any other non cop person would be.

I used to think aw man don't grab a damned tv from target, it muddies the water.

Now? Fuck it. Clean out that store and burn it down. Just leave the actual local businesses alone. Fuck a kohls or auto zone or whatnot tho.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Here's an unoriginal sentiment, I hope they burn in shit!

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yes! That is what i love to see.

In fact, anytime you (very rarely) see a local place damaged in a protest, I immediately jump to it being done by bad actors to harm the cause.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought protestors were doing that in my original post. Wrote it out badly. Sorry folks

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    by all accounts the target in question was known locally for making big donations to the minnesota pd, and early on in the protest had refused to sell milk to those trying to buy it to treat the effects of tear gas, so it wasn't chosen randomly

unrelated:

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Make all uses of the report function on the PA forums be filtered directly to the FBI for direct and immediate action

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The Target wouldn't sell milk to the protestors after they got gassed and the bookstore let protestors use their bathroom according to the twitter thread so that might have affected things as well.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

a guy with a crossbow is incredibly chaotic energy

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Honestly at this point I really don't care if a company worth billions loses an infinitesimal fraction of that when a store gets looted.

• Options

I used to eat lunch at this mcdonald's during high school

Christ

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

He should have been in prison ages ago, assuming just some of this is accurate (enough of it seems to be):

fsz1qois27b3.jpg

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I used to eat lunch at this mcdonald's during high school

Christ

I hope your friends/loved ones are staying (relatively) safe out there. Let me know if there's any additional way to help.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

I live in Saint Paul.

Word on the street is that the protests are coming here tonight. But I live away from the capital, so I should be OK. Probably.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

He should have been in prison ages ago, assuming just some of this is accurate (enough of it seems to be):

fsz1qois27b3.jpg

"fun" wrinkle for the politics threads going forward: a good chunk of this happened under Amy Klobuchar's watch as a prosecutor!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    prosecutors are also scum

This discussion has been closed.