Options

Minneapolis is on fire.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Honestly at this point I really don't care if a company worth billions loses an infinitesimal fraction of that when a store gets looted.

They have insurance, they ain't losing shit.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Good on the protestors. That dude should 100% be in jail woth no bond awaiting first appearance. Any other non cop person would be.

He should have been in prison ages ago, assuming just some of this is accurate (enough of it seems to be):

fsz1qois27b3.jpg

This is all correct BUT

and here’s the super shitty part

When comparing Chauvin’s record to the average record of a Minneapolis cop, a former HR/internal affairs person said it was pretty typical

Fuckkk

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Almost like all cops are bastards or something

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ah so Minneapolis is a RAMPART situation.

Bring in the feds, salt the earth, start over.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    To view this as an isolated incident or a singularly-modern bad culture is, unfortunately, inaccurate

Racism is so deeply ingrained in the Minneapolis P.D. that the American Indian Movement was founded to try and curb Minneapolis police violence against native people, and that was in 19 fucking 68.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I totally forgot Castille’s murder was also basically in Minneapolis

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    hey when people say "acab" and you're like "nuh uh #notallcops"

Seems like it’d be cheaper to keep him in a nice, safe jail cell.
    Good on the protestors. That dude should 100% be in jail woth no bond awaiting first appearance. Any other non cop person would be.

I used to think aw man don't grab a damned tv from target, it muddies the water.

Now? Fuck it. Clean out that store and burn it down. Just leave the actual local businesses alone. Fuck a kohls or auto zone or whatnot tho.

And in five seconds, any lingering issues I had with the rioting as it currently stands are washed away.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    And for those that will cry but what of target employees.

The ceo could cover the pay for the entirety of the rebuild and not even notice the numbers moving

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Those Target employees are going to be laid off and receive unemployment benefits instead of being forced to work during a deadly pandemic

Their store getting burned down is pretty much a best case scenario right now

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I certainly assume that when a Target is burnt down the corporation makes a profit somehow

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I certainly assume that when a Target is burnt down the corporation makes a profit somehow

If video games have taught us anything, you get points for destroying a target, right?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

If video games have taught us anything, you get points for destroying a target, right?

Smash Bros Announcer Voice: "Break the Targets!"

• Options
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Honestly at this point I really don't care if a company worth billions loses an infinitesimal fraction of that when a store gets looted.

I barely care if they lose the full billions.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I totally forgot Castille’s murder was also basically in Minneapolis

It was in Roseville/Falcon heights, where the state fairgrounds are

Right outside the place where my childhood comic book store was

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    All my power just went out. Shit's about to get real

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    shiiiit be safe

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Indeed please be careful everyone local

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

So is it really even a target store at that point?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It's out in at least a 12 block radius something big got hit I think

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

So is it really even a target store at that point?

In the same sense that first Whole Foods that just autocharged you for all goods on walking out was still a Whole Foods, yeah. Companies experiment everywhere with real stores.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I think the implication is that it's a real Target store but they use it as a lab to test new policies and see how much shit gets stolen under these policies.

Which is a whole Implication on top of everything else.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean hell. The history of cops in America is literally tied to slavery. Some of the earliest groups that would become police were created with the sole purpose of catching escaped slaves. When that's the roots of your organization there's no amount of piecemeal reform that is going to fix the systemic issues.

The concept of an organization that exists to enforce laws isn't inherently terrible, but the shit we have in this country is one of the worst forms of that in the world. You can't just throw a bit more training and body cameras at it and go "well that's fixed".

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I think the implication is that it's a real Target store but they use it as a lab to test new policies and see how much shit gets stolen under these policies.

Which is a whole Implication on top of everything else.

Yeah lots of companies have test stores where they test new signage and such, which are also functional stores. This Target just seems like the perfect one to be looted for a variety of reasons.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I mean hell. The history of cops in America is literally tied to slavery. Some of the earliest groups that would become police were created with the sole purpose of catching escaped slaves. When that's the roots of your organization there's no amount of piecemeal reform that is going to fix the systemic issues.

The concept of an organization that exists to enforce laws isn't inherently terrible, but the shit we have in this country is one of the worst forms of that in the world. You can't just throw a bit more training and body cameras at it and go "well that's fixed".

That's really the biggest thing in the long run, not the racism but that you have a LOT of legacies and standards mashed up into a singular mythical "law enforcement" chimera, ignoring the realities of their histories.

Then you have this thing crash into economic complexities, regional complexities, sexuality and its role in society, and good old fashioned racial dogma, and you get today's comedy of errors.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm gonna move to a lighthouse and hang myself I think

Please don't make jokes like this

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The other big part of their history is violently suppressing workers, so it kind of follows a general theme.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Ever notice how it's only after the police start firing on crowds that fires start breaking out?

Dr. Jason Johnson is a professor of politics and journalism at Morgan State University and a political analyst.

Yeah, the police are basically setting incidentally off the fires and then letting them burn with the complicity of local fire departments. That's how it happens. Then it gets blamed on "rioters."

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    “Abolish cops huh, but have you thought about... crime?!”

It’s so genuinely frustrating the lack of imagination that keeps us from moving past this one thing

Like yeah, the people calling to abolish the police have thought about what if crime still happens.

Anyway I dunno this all sucks, I hope you’re all safe wherever you are

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Everyone please keep in mind that as this continues that we're gonna be seeing a lot of information over the next few days, and not all of it is going to necessarily be correct. Last night people were saying that the Target was burned to the ground, and it wasn't. This isn't necessarily anyone on the grounds' fault, because there's a fucking lot happening and it's probably impossible to get a full idea of what's going on when you're in the thick of it. But also keep in mind that people who aren't there are going to draw their own conclusions and post it out as fact.

Just...be careful not to take everything at face value. A lot of people have a vested interest in making things look worse than they are, and it isn't always immediately apparent who to trust as a source.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Fuck, on their good days most pd's are just a source of revenue for their local govt's via tickets, fines and bail. The whole system of law enforcement is fucked from top to bottom.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Especially when shit like this happens literally on camera, in broad daylight, in front of a crowd of staring, horrified people.

That's not carelessness or lack of professionalism. That's crime-lord "it's about sending a message" shit.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So while we're on the subject of abolishing the police, do district attorneys get lumped into the same garbage skiff?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So while we're on the subject of abolishing the police, do district attorneys get lumped into the same garbage skiff?

Cop is a cop, so yeah

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, good. I view the DAs unwilling to levy charges against these cops worse than the cops themselves. They're the ones setting the examples that this behavior is acceptable.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Okay, good. I view the DAs unwilling to levy charges against these cops worse than the cops themselves. They're the ones setting the examples that this behavior is acceptable.

often that's done because cops that do get charged rarely get convicted because the public is just as complicit

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

often that's done because cops that do get charged rarely get convicted because the public is just as complicit

I...do not want to believe this is true. Fuck.

This discussion has been closed.