As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I got an arcane mage to 120, and man do I miss the self healing of my feral druid and DH.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It's better than stupid grinds to unlock content that take month(s) to do.

I know this is an older comment, but void elves take like a week to unlock these days, and actually with the double rep bonus in place probably less than that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I know this is an older comment, but void elves take like a week to unlock these days, and actually with the double rep bonus in place probably less than that.

Reliant on world quests and, more importantly, getting the time to do it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

The bonus rep event ended a few days ago. We're back to normal rep now.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Finally got every mask unlocked, after only playing for short bursts in the last several months

Shame they couldn't figure out a mask that made the Visions more fun instead of more obnoxious

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I feel the same way about M+ affixes.

• Options
    It just feels like overwhelmingly the only knob they really know how to turn is "Making you move more" and that's not inherently bad, but as the only knob that gets turned over and over again it gets tiring over time.

I'm hoping that the Torghast character modifiers solve that problem and give things more pizzazz and variety.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i was never current during WoD or Legion but came back for BFA. I've been spending most of my time in those two expansions and it's been pretty fun. Going back, at least, the garrison seems like a cool idea and the champion hall in legion isn't bad, although i wish that all of them were as easily accessible as the death knight one (direct teleport).

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The main problem with the garrison is that it basically gave you everything: Crafting mats, reputation, gold, etc. So there was no reason whatsoever to leave it except for raiding and PvP. Most of the playerbase doesn't raid or does high level PvP. And it was the expansion where Blizz decided that LFR should give horrible looking armor without the actual tier bonuses.

Which...yeah.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It just feels like overwhelmingly the only knob they really know how to turn is "Making you move more" and that's not inherently bad, but as the only knob that gets turned over and over again it gets tiring over time.

I'm hoping that the Torghast character modifiers solve that problem and give things more pizzazz and variety.

I don't think that's a very accurate take, though? Most of the M+ affixes have little to do with movement.

I can certainly agree with the fact that it's easy to dislike the fact that the affixes are all purely negative ones, and the "best" ones are the ones that get in the way the least, but there's good variety amongst them.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The seasonal ones are definitely the most creative, and probably the best in terms of stuff that isn’t just bigger numbers or more movement. There are a lot of affixes from Legion that could probably stand to be culled. Teeming, tyrannical and fortified in particular are incredibly boring. Especially
    the two latter

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just trying to fix the bookmarked thread not read issue. Ignore this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    no

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I also have the bookmarked thread issue. But might as well get this out of my system: When Shadowlands launches, new players will have to play through BfA on their first character, right? That doesn't seem great! I last played about three months after Legion launched, and it's a bit rough coming back. People who played BfA as the content released got to see the story slowly unfold in a sane manner. But if you start playing from the start of the expansion right now, the game doesn't indicate which quests are appropriate for you and which quests you should do later. As a result:
    1. I'm experiencing the story in a random order. From my character's perspective, I've helped someone escape from certain death after attending their huge dramatic funeral.
    2. I'll accept a quest and only discover that it was late-game content and I'm completely outclassed after I've seen two or three loading screens and traveled to the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, I had to rant. It feels pretty bad!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean, almost nothing from post game affects leveling, and I know I never ran into those issues. I took 2-3 classes through leveling in bfa during 8.3 and it was smooth.

People leveling new chars through it get the same exact experience as what we did on launch. It might be missing azerite powers, but those barely had an impact until max level.

It sounds like you are describing alliance leveling zones though, and though they are certainly functional I do know they were a fair bit messy. Horde side flows so much better. I have done both multiple times and I absolutely loved the horde leveling experience. While it’s a shame, bfa is still the most recent experience as a whole and is absolutely the best one to show new players.

• Options
    Nah, I’m on Horde. I progressed the War campaign farther than the Dazar'alor quests. Past a certain point in the war campaign the character has to die so that the Horde will set sail with the fleet, but if you haven’t done all the troll quests the same character is still alive when you get back.

I was playing with a friend who was farther than I was at one point, maybe one of the quests he shared let me inadvertently sequence break? That wouldn’t explain why the guardians of Azeroth quest chain tried to throw me into Cthulhu stuff I was massively undergeared for as soon as I got to Nazjatar, though.

• Options
    Yeah, for horde it is definitely possible to push the story into totally janky time shenanigans where the warcampain+Battle of Dazar'alor tells us that King Rastakhan is dead. But then you do the Zul betrayal storyline in Zuldazar and you put all this time and effort into saving the king.

But that's kinda the way WoW just is.

I've been leveling a bunch of alts lately because of the 100% XP boost. And there was one alt, where just by the nature of the expansions I chose, I saw 3 different warchiefs present in Org. There was one point where Garrosh was standing in there with the <Warchief> title and he was standing literally 6 feet or less away from Sylvanas who also had the <Warchief> title. So it's nothing new with WoW that stuff gets disjointed. That's just the part of an MMO where each storyline is additive, and not a replacement. They aren't updating entire worldstates each time something happens.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I turned a quest in to Sylvanas in Orgrimmar sometime after she ragequit the Horde.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Frem wrote: »
    Nah, I’m on Horde. I progressed the War campaign farther than the Dazar'alor quests. Past a certain point in the war campaign the character has to die so that the Horde will set sail with the fleet, but if you haven’t done all the troll quests the same character is still alive when you get back.

I was playing with a friend who was farther than I was at one point, maybe one of the quests he shared let me inadvertently sequence break? That wouldn’t explain why the guardians of Azeroth quest chain tried to throw me into Cthulhu stuff I was massively undergeared for as soon as I got to Nazjatar, though.

If I’m remembering this right, that quest is a part of the post game war campaign. So yes you sequence broke. It shouldn't be available before you hit level 120. New players leveling into shadowlands will never do those as it should be tuned for you to hit shadowlands during the bfa leveling experience, never requiring any of the bfa endgame. What you did there would be equal to someone getting you into shadowlands quests at say, level 45 after the expansion is live.

The Nazjatar stuff is all postgame as well, so none of that would be in the new player leveling experience either.

I mean, if you are level 120 and having those issues, yeah they are legit issues. There are ways to get from fresh 120 greens to passably handle the Nazjatar opening then 8.3 content, but I wouldn't expect someone just getting into WoW to figure those out. But none of that should be an issue come 9.0

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, if max level is the gating mechanism than double XP is probably throwing things off here; I hit 120 pretty early. IIRC, I was well on my way to 111 just doing things in Suramar before even starting BFA.

Edit: Level 111, not 121.

Frem on
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah for SL you'll just hit 50 and then probably get some kind of obvious popup from Bolvar or whoever to drop everything and go chase after Sylvanas or something.

The same should have applied to Legion->BfA though, unless an addon suppressed it or you didn't have BfA purchased at the time you dinged 110.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's also entirely possible to just ignore pop up quests, as they happen quite quickly when leveling through double xp and it isn't always obvious which ones matter.

• Options
    I kind of got a taste for this when I started playing the Final Fantasy MMO. Knowing what was important and what wasn't was very difficult on the way up through the levels and I definitely wasted a fair bit of time chasing stuff that wasn't relevant or wasn't really needed.

And FF is a much more cohesive and together game as an MMO with how it handles it's non-endgame content, so a new player to WoW has no chance.

• Options
    My love affair with my warlock alt continues. I ran some M+ with my guild last night. I will fully admit that it was mostly a carry. We ran an M12 and there's no way my DPS was good enough for M12, but we cleared the timer because everyone else was good for it.

Anyway. My weekly chest this morning had a 470 staff in it, with Haste/Mastery as it's secondaries, and it has a corruption effect that procs bonus crit.

I know that Destro want a decent amount of crit just because the damage of Chaos Bolt scales with crit rating. Do I want to keep that corruption on the staff, or should I purge it off and then put something else on in it's place?

As a side question - Gushing Wounds is up on the MOTHER store right now and I have enough echoes to buy it. I know it was nerfed recently. But I also know that people still think it's good even after the nerf. What I'm not sure about is how it interacts with various spells, because I've never had it or used it. Does Gushing Wounds proc on AoEs? Is it possible to fire off a Cataclysm or Rain of Fire and put up multiple gushing wounds bleed effects on multiple targets at once? And what about its interaction with DoTs? Does the ticking DoT damage of my Immolate have a chance to proc it?

Or should I just save all of my Echoes for whenever Expedient comes back up in the store and just buy nothing but Expedients?

• Options
    As far as I know Destro just wants expedients.

• Options
    Haste just is so good for all warlock specs that you just throw Expedient on every thing you can, up til your corruption limit.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    If you have multiple Expedients, I assume they all proc together in one big stack? That's gotta be a crazy 4 seconds if you have 140+ Corruption worth.

• Options
    I think expedient is the flat increase to rating. But the proc one yeah, the amount stacks.

I got pretty hooked up on my shaman I have been gearing. 470 of the mechagon weapon. I like that proc, but it also had a socket and a rank 1 expedient which is my best stat. So nearly perfect. Now I just need radens weapon and I’m rock solid. Glad I’m finally putting that perfect coral to use.

• Options
    Yeah expedient is just % more haste

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i don't have flying in bfa and i really hate nazjatar. i know i need to commit to this pathfinder stuff but it's soul sucking. no, i don't want to wander around clicking on fish to get them back in the water :(

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i don't have flying in bfa and i really hate nazjatar. i know i need to commit to this pathfinder stuff but it's soul sucking. no, i don't want to wander around clicking on fish to get them back in the water :(

Now imagine going out when it first came out and 5 other people are gunning for that same fish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    haha i did...i gave up on it and just did other things thinking a little transmog hunting or leveling alts would revitalize my desire for pathfinder 2...but it did not

• Options
    Token prices seem to be trending back up in price lately for some reason.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Token prices seem to be trending back up in price lately for some reason.

Less people playing = more gold demand?
    Alternate answer: people that really wanted that Brutosaur already have it so gold value is falling off (not i. I wish i had bought some when it was over 200k per)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, there's a lot of changes for Shaman (lol they sure gave up on Searing Totem fast) and Warlock and some small changes for Mage and DK on the alpha.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    axed searing totem again? GOOD

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I've said it before, but I like the idea of searing totem (that is, a totem that also attacks your enemies), I just think it needs to be a little more interactive somehow. As is, it's basically a location-based DoT, which is fine in a game like City of Heroes, but doesn't feel very fun in WoW. Compare pets, who typically have multiple abilities, can move, and IIRC sometimes have abilities that interact with the players' own. I would prefer that they tried to redesign it, rather than simply give up on it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    A totem with legs that follows the caster around and then shoots fire and shit at enemies.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Things I wish for: a talent for shamans where they can slap the totems onto their backs to carry them around with them instead of just leaving them on the ground.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I kind of go back and forth on the idea of wearable totems. The overall impression I've gotten is that most players view totems' immobility as a QoL nuisance, rather than an interesting gameplay mechanic. And in that regard, the solution seems pretty simple.

On the other hand, I used to play CoH which has a lot of effect-placement and forced movement abilities, and I enjoyed things like all the pulling tools Hunters have in WoW. I like mechanics that have the players trying to draw the enemy to a favorable position or force them out of an unfavorable one, while trying to do the opposite yourselves. So totems requiring some thought and commitment about their placement is an idea that seems fun to me, at least in the abstract. Again, I think a retooling is the better answer than simply giving up and effectively turning totems into auras.

I guess a talent would let players choose which they prefer, but what would you be giving up to take it, and what incentive would Blizzard have to bother trying to make the regular immobile totem play more enjoyable if they had that talent in game?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.