As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use of commas: which rule wins?

2»

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    The grammar checking software is wrong. You and your wife are correct. It's flagging your usage as incorrect because it doesn't fit some sort of established pattern, not because it's incorrect.

You can put a comma pretty much anywhere and it would be technically correct in some way, shape, or form (this is precisely why grammar checking software is so bad when it comes to validating comma usage). Commas can be used in whatever manner you see fit in order to accurately convey meaning to the reader. That's pretty much it.

The only exception to the free-love approach to comma usage is the Oxford comma. Everyone must use the Oxford comma. If you do not use the Oxford comma you are an illiterate peasant. I will die on this hill.

I, guess, this, is, somehow, 'technically', correct, then, huh? I, wonder, in, what, context, that would be?

The context that would force me to slap you before you got to "somehow". I mean unless you're a really drunk William Shatner I guess?

Technically correct? Sure! How people speak (or write)? Not so much.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Like, not even the blanket recommendation to add colons for all lists fixes this problem. "I am a big fan of: my brothers, Jimmy and John" can still be read as ambiguous because you don't know whether Jimmy and John are the names of the brothers or two other people entirely.

It seems to me that an Oxford comma doesn't resolve this ambiguity. How would it be phrased if there were three brothers?

"my brothers, Jimmy, and John"

The comma before the 'and' clearly indicates that this is a list of three things. If Jimmy and John were the names of the brothers and you put the comma there, it's no longer grammatically correct.

Two brothers:
    My brothers Jimmy and John

Three brothers:
    My brothers Jimmie, John, and Jack

Four people, two of whom are unnamed brothers:
    My brothers, Jimmie, and John

One brother, his genitals, and a second person for some reason:
    My brother’s Jimmie, and John

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Like, not even the blanket recommendation to add colons for all lists fixes this problem. "I am a big fan of: my brothers, Jimmy and John" can still be read as ambiguous because you don't know whether Jimmy and John are the names of the brothers or two other people entirely.

It seems to me that an Oxford comma doesn't resolve this ambiguity. How would it be phrased if there were three brothers?

"my brothers, Jimmy, and John"

The comma before the 'and' clearly indicates that this is a list of three things. If Jimmy and John were the names of the brothers and you put the comma there, it's no longer grammatically correct.

Two brothers:
    My brothers Jimmy and John

Three brothers:
    My brothers Jimmie, John, and Jack

Four people, two of whom are unnamed brothers:
    My brothers, Jimmie, and John

One brother, his genitals, and a second person for some reason:
    My brother’s Jimmie, and John

Looks legit until the last one. Comma usage seems to indicate that there should be three names in the example: the brother, the genitals, and a second person. But your example only has the genitals and a second person.

Also why did Jimmy change his name to Jimmie? Is he some kind of hippie?

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    The only exception to the free-love approach to comma usage is the Oxford comma. Everyone must use the Oxford comma. If you do not use the Oxford comma you are an illiterate peasant. I will die on this hill.

Then you shall die upon it by my hand.

The Oxford comma is not necessary as
    We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.

and
    We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.

are the same.

If JFK and Stalin were strippers, it should be:
    We invited the strippers: JFK and Stalin.

Alternatively, you can just write it with the plural noun at the end:
    We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

Oxford-Comma.jpg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That's...not what I was expecting to see this morning.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm really glad I checked up on this thread again.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Then you shall die upon it by my hand.

The Oxford comma is not necessary as
    We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.

and
    We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.

are the same.

If JFK and Stalin were strippers, it should be:
    We invited the strippers: JFK and Stalin.

Alternatively, you can just write it with the plural noun at the end:
    We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

Oxford-Comma.jpg

Except no because anyone intending to say they invited the JFK and Stalin strippers would write, well, that.

Like just for example "We invited JFK, Stalin, and the strippers." Though I'd argue that using the phrase "the strippers" in the same sentence with JFK and Stalin means you better be referring to some utterly god damned legendary strippers :P

I mean there are totally sentences that make a good argument for the oxford comma!

But that ain't one of them :P

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Nah, that's a classically good example of the Oxford comma for a reason.

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    Nah, that's a classically good example of the Oxford comma for a reason.

That reason being it's a fantastic example of the Oxford comma being superfluous unless shitty writing is involved? :P

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's an illustrative example.

The bad writing part is spot-on, though. That's kind of the point. :P

If you change the nouns the structure of the sentence is the same. So the writing is bad by virtue of its structure, not its referents.