As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War: Warhammer] Skulls for the Skull Throne! (Game 3 out now!)

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I gotta say, watching that video? It drives me fuckin BONKERS that the AI is still doing the same dumbass broken busted fucked up shit that I remember from like Empire, fuck it from like Kingdoms

Like that shit wheres the AI bizarrely rubberbands around control points, never taking them? Thats plenty fuckin familiar and the last one of these things Ive played was Shogun 2 like god damn yall

I would strongly suspect that in addition to being very difficult to program AI, MOST of their customers probably...wouldn't actually like it. They'd lose a lot more (no shade, I'm in this group). These things have sold bonkers #s of copies and dlc, but the vast majority probably poodle around in campaign and custom battles, and maybe touch multiplayer once. Later they see a DLC for something they think is cool, buy it, and poodle around in campaign again. CA won't ever make better AI than a human opponent, so your real competitive people will stick to multi for a variety of reasons, and thus good ai would only affect a fraction of a fraction of the base positively. It's unfathomable it hasn't come up at CA, and the decision keeps being, "not a priority vs these other things" It sure hasn't stopped us from buying them yet.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well I dont really want better than human fuckin DeepBlue chesslord AI I just want AI that doesnt take a total shit and get hung up on geometry or get stuck leaving a building or just go nuts and vibrate out of formation and etc. etc. etc.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I ran into a campaign-breaking bug that can currently only be solved by loading a save from before it happened. Hopefully it's patched quickly.

In the campaign, you have to take portals into the four realms of chaos. The bug is in the slaanesh zone.

Spoilered in case someone doesn't want to see the mechanics of the slaanesh zone.
    In the slaanesh zone, you have to enter a series of gates to advance. Each gate presents a dilemma where they try to bribe you with a bunch of goodies to make you leave, or let you reject the goodies to advance. There are also enemy armies present to attack you.

If you fight an enemy army while they are standing on a gate, the game will think you already triggered the gate dilemma when you stepped on it to fight, even though you didn't, and so now it won't trigger at all. So your lord is just stuck and can't use the gates to go back or forward.

And since only your legendary lord can enter the big portals to the realms of chaos, you are now softlocked because your legendary lord is stuck in the realm of slaanesh and can't go anywhere.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I ran into a campaign-breaking bug that can currently only be solved by loading a save from before it happened. Hopefully it's patched quickly.

In the campaign, you have to take portals into the four realms of chaos. The bug is in the slaanesh zone.

Spoilered in case someone doesn't want to see the mechanics of the slaanesh zone.
    In the slaanesh zone, you have to enter a series of gates to advance. Each gate presents a dilemma where they try to bribe you with a bunch of goodies to make you leave, or let you reject the goodies to advance. There are also enemy armies present to attack you.

If you fight an enemy army while they are standing on a gate, the game will think you already triggered the gate dilemma when you stepped on it to fight, even though you didn't, and so now it won't trigger at all. So your lord is just stuck and can't use the gates to go back or forward.

And since only your legendary lord can enter the big portals to the realms of chaos, you are now softlocked because your legendary lord is stuck in the realm of slaanesh and can't go anywhere.
    Eventually, you should be kicked out automatically, either by Slaanesh sould being claimed, or the timer.

Karoz
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Eventually, you should be kicked out automatically, either by Slaanesh sould being claimed, or the timer.
    In my case nobody else was in there to claim it, and I was already several turns past the rifts closing without any indication how much longer I might be stuck in there.

I did find another workaround though. I had a quest battle available, so I teleported to that and did it, and when it auto-teleporting me back it let me use the gate properly.

Still, something to watch out for.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The time has come, the return of the pygmy draws near...

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    :|

BahamutZERO.gif
    MegaMan001schuss
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It took them 4 years to determine that was tasteless, eh? What a world.

OlivawKaroz
    And only 1 year to make! Warhammer launched in 1983.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kislev only happened because it’s one of the factions GW are doing for the rerelease of the Old World WHFB game. I suspect Cathay is in a similar situation.

So if CA are saying they won’t happen, they’re likely limited by GW more than anything.

That said they’ve got plenty they can do in WH3 without them.
    I mean take this anonymous discord post from someone who claims to work at CA as you will but apparently gw's being *weird* about this.

hpip974b5wp8.png

Like to the point of now I'm wondering how much of the Old World actually exists as an actual product.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Hundreds of hours in this trilogy, and I still suck at the battle part. It's just something I've had to come to terms with, as this is my favorite game series that I totally suck at.

The final battle was the hardest fight I think I've ever done in this series, but after banging my head against it for two hours I stumbled across a cheese strategy and won it.

Fencingsax
    There's a lot of bad reviews on steam relating to the anticheat software, has anyone had performance issues relating to that?

I was thinking about what old legendary lords show up in the TW3 campaign and which ones don't, and what that may mean. I'll spoiler it for people who don't want to know who's there.
    Karl Franz, Ungrim, Mannfred, Throt, Tretch, and Snitch are all there. I doubt they'll ever be playable in this campaign unless an option for a storyless mode is added to it, so not much to say on them.

What's odd is who's missing. I can see Vlad getting cut to avoid having too much VC clutter right on Kislev's doorstep, and who knows maybe he'll even get another start location in the grand campaign? I'm less sure on why Drycha and Azhag are both missing though, other than maybe making things easier on Kislev as well. The main Warriors of Chaos faction is probably missing because it needs to be reworked.

But...where the hell are Wulfrik and Throgg? They seem like a glaring omission in this campaign.

Morghur's also missing when his start would be in this territory.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    hard crashed twice for me in the tutorial. Might just leave this one to cook a little while longer

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    SharpyVII
    They just put out a patch for some stability fixes and the multiplayer lobby bugs.

I'd forgotten how long it takes Total War games to install patches.

ArdolElvenshae
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    All the old code for "Defeated [x]" traits is still there in the game, as are all the unique skills for all the WH2 legendary lords.

I might have a pick through what lords are spawned at the start of the game, but they've changed the data structure in a way that is incredibly frustrating to parse.
    For those of you who have poked around in the game files before, in WH2 there's a Faction array, then within that a Character array so you could easily see what characters a Faction currently had (either active on the map, or in reserve i.e. without a gold cost to recruit via replacing a lord or wounding).

In the new file structure, there's a Faction array, but the Character array within that only holds the World Map data for characters i.e. where they are, their stance, how much movement they have available etc. It doesn't even hold their names, just an index number for lookup.

The ACTUAL Character information is held in a new Family Tree array outside the Faction array, and it literally holds every character in the game unsorted. It also holds all the characters in the recruitment pools, so it STARTS at a list of 4000 unsorted characters on turn 1 and only gets bigger from there, probably adding 1000 characters per 10 turns from recruitment pool turnover.

The Family Tree array also doesn't even actually hold Character Names - it only holds indexes for localization lookup. I get why they did this - theoretically, you could swap language mid-game and the Character Names would also update. But it gets incredibly frustrating trying to work out which character is which.

In terms of gamebreaking bugs, I ran into one during the Prologue. I reached the stage where it triggers the "Recruit a second lord" tutorial, and what it's supposed to do is select a City and a tutorial popup pointing to the "Recruit Lord" button appears. Unfortunately, the "select a City" part failed, so the tutorial popup was pointing to where the button should have been located but was empty. I had no button to click and no way to dismiss the tutorial popup, so had to quit the game and reload.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Tzeetchs campaign rules

You like spells? We got spells, you like fucking with factions for fun we got that, you want flame throwers that can actually deleted units oh baby you better subscribe to the god of change cause this shit is so much fun

Deleted the doom stack of monsters in khornes realm through spells alone its real fun would recommend you get to use all the cataclysm spells and pick what one you want and maybe it works th same for other but it rolls another one for you to use after lmao

The fate weave is probably the only Lord who can get their own defeated in battle bonus as well it's amazing trust me

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    Last night I had Tzeetch just randomly hand me one of my enemy's cities. For the lolz, I guess.

I'm playing as Zhao Ming in my second campaign. I currently have 3 souls, and so does the Legion of Chaos on the complete opposite side of the map. I've dispatched an expedition to raze them to the fucking ground, but I'm a little anxious about this one.

An ART BOOK is coming out next month in both hardcover and kindle for anyone interested.

It's supposed to have artwork and concepts from all three games in the trilogy.

KarozMagic Pinknever die
    Creative Assembly has released a BLOG POST about their plans for Patch 1.1 in a couple of weeks.

No word on the combined map or future DLC yet as they try to get the game in a good place first. Some good changes for the Realm of Chaos campaign are planned, though.

Karoz
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, i like basically all of those ideas.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I want campaign mode to take about half as much time as it currently does, because holy guacamole. It would also be really cool if they could do a sort of...random map style like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 did, where you could set the amount of players and just have a go at a multiplayer shitfest that way without 85 AI factions making the game last an extra 10 hours.

Hacksaw
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Tzeentch's realm sucks.

KruiteUbik
    There is an island in the north of Tzeentch's realm that has 3 portals. Quicksave on this island. Never bother gathering sigils.

If you don't start on that island, that means you enter it via one of those three portals, so you have a choice of two. Pick one and you'll either get to the end or get to an island you've already been to. If you get to an island you've already been to, then just load the quicksave and pick the other portal.

It's Tzeentch's realm, save scumming is probably canon.

Fencingsax
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The scummer of saves.

Fencingsax
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If you check in the reddit someone posted a map and guide to all the Chaos Realms including optimal paths for Tzeentch's realm, I'm at work otherwise I'd link it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Id ad that those maps work for the first entry into the realm. Second trip in you may be theown on another faction's pathway

Fencingsax
    I just completed my sixth campaign. Now I've just got Slaanesh and Nurgle left (though to unlock all the endings I'll also need to do some more Kislev and Ogre runs since they have individual endings for each lord).

I might save them for after the patch, I haven't decided yet. There's still some campaigns I didn't do in Total Warhammer II that I want to get to.

Also I can't get the achievement for winning a battle where you're overpowered 10-to-1 to unlock at all. I've had the bonus lord you get for beating the game sail around and take on armies from skull islands entirely by himself and didn't get it. I had Skragg and two Gorgers take an enemy settlement that the balance of power said I was certain to lose and didn't get it. I've won the final battle when it said I was certain to lose, so I don't know if it's just bugged for me or what. Steam says 12% of players managed to get it, though.

Like many others, I'm eagerly anticipating when the old races get added back in. Things are a little demon-heavy at the moment. But soon it will be 23 entirely different races available (24 if Chaos Dwarfs are out by then) in the same game. It's going to be wild.

Magic Pink
    The patch is out, downloading it now.

The notes are supposed to be HERE but the page isn't up just yet.

However, streamers were given the notes in advance so they could make videos, so you can see an overview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISV80gwmr3U

Karoz
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So charge damage compares mass of the two units to determine damage. targets were using the cavalry mass to determine how much damage they received as opposed to their own. /Facepalm

Isnt this the same bug that was plaguing the end of wh2?

We now have a ROAD MAP, but we aren't really getting anything soon.

1.2 next month with some bug fixes, balance adjustments, and free Regiments of Renown.

Immortal Empires, Blood Pack, and first Lord Pack won't be until late summer.

Chaos Dwarfs aren't even on the road map.

This game is going to be really great eventually, but it looks like it's going to take a while.

Karoz
    PATCH 1.2 is here.

Only new content is one Regiment of Renown unit for each playable race, but there are a lot of good adjustments.

Mounts finally no longer cost skill points, so you may actually use some of the lesser mounts in campaign on your way to your better mount. Regular units like the War Compass now have single-use bound spells instead of using Winds of Magic. Tech Tree reworks. Auto-resolve is supposed to be fixed (or at least a lot better), and a bunch of other stuff.

ElvenshaeBouwsT
    A teaser trailer for Immortal Empires is out. No release date, just says open beta in Q3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkK1ldsuVU

Also the Skulls for the Skull Throne event is live so pretty much all Warhammer stuff is on sale. TW3 is only a 10% discount, but the older stuff (which will carry forward to TW3 when Immortal Empires is out) is a bit cheaper.

Elvenshae
    edited June 2022
    IMMORTAL EMPIRES is coming in August (called a Beta because it will likely need some ironing out, but supposed to be feature complete).

Includes:
    • Access all 86 Legendary Lords from all three Total War: WARHAMMER titles.
    • Be’Lakor is now a Legendary Lord with his own faction.
    • Dedicated factions for a number of the older Legendary Lords, including: Grombrindal, Helman Ghorst, and Volkmar the Grim.
    • New starting locations for 29 of the older Legendary Lords.
    • Improved personal faction mechanics for a selection of the older Legendary Lords (such as Volkmar the Grim).
    • A new ‘Sea Lanes’ feature, which allow you to move armies between distant lands and continents—from one side of the map to the other—without leapfrogging them all the way across the map.
    • New dynamic end-game scenarios: randomised mid- to late-game challenges we’re introducing to challenge the late-game steamroll—where the player is so powerful that there’s little-to-no challenge left and less of a reason to complete the campaign. Think Greenskin invasions or resurgences of the undead, as a few examples…
    • Revamped victory conditions. Most players don’t end up finishing campaigns, and we want to give them better reasons—and a greater level of satisfaction—for doing so. As such, we’ve simplified the victory requirements into more meaningful objectives while avoiding any arbitrary playstyle requirements.
    • Corruption rework. Players will have new tools for spreading (or reducing) corruption through more active usage of their armies. Small amounts of natural reduction will also be available to uncorrupted factions.
    • 8-player multiplayer campaigns. And as a bonus, only the host of an Immortal Empires multiplayer campaign needs to own all three games. Friends who only own WARHAMMER III will still be able to join the campaign, though their Legendary Lord choices will (naturally) be limited to the ones they own.

Someone did the math, and apparently with Be'Lakor we'd only have 81 Legendary Lords, so it looks like the next DLC will be adding 5 (though one would probably be the free one released alongside DLC).

Lars on
    Magic PinkLordSolarMachariusSharpyVIIElvenshaeFencingsaxKarozOlivawMetzger MeisterLokarnLord_AsmodeusArdolnever die
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Someone did the math, and apparently with Be'Lakor we'd only have 81 Legendary Lords, so it looks like the next DLC will be adding 5 (though one would probably be the free one released alongside DLC).

No... from the first two games there are 69 (fittingly, in ME Sigvald is the 69th), plus the 12 currently in game three, and then Be'lakor makes 82. So the DLC seems like it will be 4 new lords, and no additional FLC lord (besides Be'lakor).

Fencingsax
    That's what I get for trusting in the mathematics of strangers, I guess.

I am curious about the 29 relocated legendary lords. The ones that got their own factions now are obvious, and presumably Snicht moved to Cathay. I wonder if they did anything with Vlad & Isabella? Also with Sigvald and Kholek?

Hopefully they show us the final map before too long.

edited June 2022
    I am presuming either V&I or Mannfred are moving, but I don't know enough about the lore to where.

Fencingsax on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Fluff-wise theres very little reason for Vlad, Isabella or Mannfred to move out of Sylvania.

-Loki- on
    This map was floating around with no source I can find:

bcz1wli6ee491.jpg

Could be a fan thing or a leak. If it was supposed to be a leak, it looks like Vlad moves to the Marshes of Madness (which would be a shame, I was hoping for a Strigoi character to be there) and Isabella gets sent to Cathay. Most everyone else is in areas you could expect.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    could be a temporary shuffle until more DLC lords come in, same as how Orks are serving as a placeholder for Chaos Dwarves r/n

wY6K6Jb.gif