As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War: Warhammer] Skulls for the Skull Throne! (Game 3 out now!)

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    They'll almost certainly be in 3.

The real question is if Demons of Chaos will be one army or four. Personally, I hope they are split up because Nurgle has way too much stuff to be forced to share a roster with the other three.

Also what other factions we may get. Kislev and the Undead Legion (Nagash) both seem likely, and maybe some form of Dogs of War / Southern Realms.

I'm hoping for Daemons of Chaos Undivided in the base game, and then Divided armies mixing beasts/cultists/warriors/daemons as Campaign Packs. People'd probably complain about some reused assets, but if you did a Khorne vs Slaanesh pack and a Nurgle vs Tzeentch pack (with two lords for each god) there's enough to work with I think. Pestigors, and Rotters, and Blightkings, and Maggoths...

Besides Chorfs and Ogres, the fact that Kislev is getting new Forgeworld stuff next year (for the revived Old World tabletop game) makes me assume that they'll be in. Depending on how far west the map goes, maybe Southern Realms (aka Dogs of War, aka Tilea/Estalia/Border Princes)... or if it extends east (and CA feels like doing a lot of work) we might see Grand Cathay.

My biggest concern is that a lot of those armies are potentially hordes, which... aren't the greatest gameplay wise.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man if they release the Demons of Chaos as 4 individual factions, I'll have to buy this to rep my boy Tzeentch. It's time for Change.

Magic PinkGnome-Interruptus
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    There's a lot of fun stuff that could be done with demon armies. I don't think they'd be normal at all. They'd be really weird and push the boundaries of Total War gameplay.

First thought I had was some kind of agent based gameplay focused on setting up cults in cities that would operate like Skaven Undercities. Once a city is corrupted you can spawn an army or something. Demons aren't really long lived in the material world and would probably take massive attrition in non-chaos corrupted areas so maybe the armies could operate like the Ork WAAAGHs. You spawn an army with an objective, the army is alive for a limited time, but if you complete the objective then the army gets to stay and you get full demon settlements or something. So it'd be based around trying to flare up demonic incursions around the map and then establishing a hold in corrupted terrain.
    edit- ooh, it'd make the mysterious stranger "+3000 gold but +5 chaos corruption" event much more thematic.

They could also be summoned in rites by Chaos/Norsca/Beastmen as special armies/units.

It's an untapped vein and I'm super keen on seeing what they do with it.

Gvzbgul on
    Unlucky
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I got into Warhammer at the Battle for Skull Pass 7th edition and collected exclusively Dwarfs. I quit a bit around the start of 8th. Chaos Dwarfs are a bit before my time, are they really that cool a roster?
    Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos(Chaos Giants/Dragons yo) were gonna be my next army, but had some real life stuff come up that stopped me. Nowadays, it's not exactly easy to find people to play 8th edition with haha.

I imagine they'd significantly change the horde mechanic. Specifically, make razed settlements difficult to retake when done via a horde army. Make it take a few turns and inform you they're attempting it or something, say they're clearing the chaos out and tie it to corruption levels.

From that DLC list before, it's actually what drew me to the game - it's so obvious they changed their design philosophy around game #2, and it became good enough for me to take interest last November. I'm quite glad I've picked it up so late into its life-cycle, I would have really disliked this game before the potion of speed update, and with so few choices.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    OPERA GHOST

DO IT
    Hmmmm, yes, yes I like this. Compelling argument. A hard campaign first go though? I'm still picking people based on Easy/Normal. (I play normal/normal as well) I haven't beaten a 'Hard' campaign start yet!

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Those recommendations are not always accurate.

LordSolarMacharius
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I just got a pc that can run this, I’m a little confused as to the difference between the two games. Like in the opening post it’s said that you should just play the second game, but I’m assuming I would still need to buy the first game to get access to those races? Kind of confused

Edit: sorry I’ve seen this answers in follow up posts. Should have read more! If I’m reading it right the original basically acts as kind of retroactive dlc for the second game?

Prohass on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So I just got a pc that can run this, I’m a little confused as to the difference between the two games. Like in the opening post it’s said that you should just play the second game, but I’m assuming I would still need to buy the first game to get access to those races? Kind of confused

Edit: sorry I’ve seen this answers in follow up posts. Should have read more! If I’m reading it right the original basically acts as kind of retroactive dlc for the second game?

Basically yes, including adding the map of the first game to the second game. Personally, I don't actually like Vortex as much as Mortal Empires. I haven't played much Vortex at all.

Prohass
    Mortal Empires is more of a sandbox to play in. I've found that I usually stick to my small area of the world in Vortex, but spread out in Mortal Empires. So it depends on what kind of game I want.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Those recommendations are not always accurate.

Mazdamundi is still called Easy, despite probably being the worst start in the game for dealing with corruption.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Sorry, I'll try and edit the OP later after I eat lunch and try to make things more clear.

I hope you enjoy the game, and sorry for all the free time it's about to eat.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I got into Warhammer at the Battle for Skull Pass 7th edition and collected exclusively Dwarfs. I quit a bit around the start of 8th. Chaos Dwarfs are a bit before my time, are they really that cool a roster?
    Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos(Chaos Giants/Dragons yo) were gonna be my next army, but had some real life stuff come up that stopped me. Nowadays, it's not exactly easy to find people to play 8th edition with haha.

I imagine they'd significantly change the horde mechanic. Specifically, make razed settlements difficult to retake when done via a horde army. Make it take a few turns and inform you they're attempting it or something, say they're clearing the chaos out and tie it to corruption levels.

From that DLC list before, it's actually what drew me to the game - it's so obvious they changed their design philosophy around game #2, and it became good enough for me to take interest last November. I'm quite glad I've picked it up so late into its life-cycle, I would have really disliked this game before the potion of speed update, and with so few choices.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    OPERA GHOST

DO IT
    Hmmmm, yes, yes I like this. Compelling argument. A hard campaign first go though? I'm still picking people based on Easy/Normal. (I play normal/normal as well) I haven't beaten a 'Hard' campaign start yet!

Opera ghost start aint bad you do have to start a war with some humans to get your province but you can kill em and hope the lizards to the north stay chill or kill them to

she also starts with a immortal bretonnia hero knight ghost guy and she can summon ghost bretonnia calv in combat she is a lot of fun

icGJy2C.png
    Unlucky
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I've been playing a Lizardkin campaign on Mortal Empires and I'm having a good time, feel like I'm making progress. I have expanded quite a bit, control 3 provinces and half of two others, by kicking out the Skaven and destroying a minor Tomb King faction. I did ally with a minor lizardkin faction early on hoping that their troops would help in the taking of the rats' territory, but wasn't quite sure how to get their forces to actually appear in a battle that I initiated. Is that even a thing that's possible? Maybe I don't understand how best to use allies.

In any case, that minor faction does hold the two territories that I need to complete control of the provinces I have a clawhold in, but they refuse to confederate. Do I just attack them and not concern myself with the reliability hit, or is there something I can do to get them to submit?

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I've been playing a Lizardkin campaign on Mortal Empires and I'm having a good time, feel like I'm making progress. I have expanded quite a bit, control 3 provinces and half of two others, by kicking out the Skaven and destroying a minor Tomb King faction. I did ally with a minor lizardkin faction early on hoping that their troops would help in the taking of the rats' territory, but wasn't quite sure how to get their forces to actually appear in a battle that I initiated. Is that even a thing that's possible? Maybe I don't understand how best to use allies.

In any case, that minor faction does hold the two territories that I need to complete control of the provinces I have a clawhold in, but they refuse to confederate. Do I just attack them and not concern myself with the reliability hit, or is there something I can do to get them to submit?

For the first, you need to be Military Allies(not Defensive), and you can aim their faction at something from the diplomacy screen at the bottom

As for the second, you'll only take a reliability hit if you're already in alliances with them, and after a certain amount of time you can break those alliances with less of a hit. I've never done Lizards, but my understanding is that for them, confederation requires VERY high faction relationships

Low reliability can be dangerous if you are near a big, aggressive faction, but it is very survivable. I goofed on my most recent Malekith campaign early on, but no one near me disliked me enough to follow through other than Hexoatl, who was half a world and a tight choke point away.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    My main question about allies is this: once you've directed them to a target (city or army) that you're planning on engaging directly, will their troops support yours in the fight? Because I was besieging a city and didn't feel like I had the strength in my army alone to win a fight against the enemy army + garrison. I couldn't afford to field a second army at the time, so I targeted my allies at the city and they eventually trundled up. But when I tried to start the battle, they didn't show up as reinforcements. If that's not something that allies do, I can understand that, I'd just like to hear some advice from others about what they *can* do. Because when I broke the siege and the enemy army retreated, my allies took over the siege and occupied the territory I was trying to get them to help me conquer.

In any case, I guess I'll probably break the alliance and take the places I need since they refuse to see their role in the Great Plan.

Setting a target for them is usually treated as a suggestion wherein they might get to it or they might not, which kind of sucks.

Any army within range can participate in the battle, so if they have an army standing there with you then they'll join in.

You can also download mods from the workshop that lets you trade regions from the diplomacy menu, or various mods for easier confederations.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    well this campaign got weird

68234cbac7d19d247e145ac5a66ee82b.png

I checked in on my diplomacy while putting Grimgor into the meat grinder, and came across an aberration

Clan Skryre and Karaz-a-Kazak are ride or die now

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    GvzbgulFencingsaxShortyhonovereLord_AsmodeusHacksaw
    Dwarves and Skaven can be like that.

Fencingsax
    I've had a couple of games where Thorgrim and Eshin were buddies, until Eshin confederated with Mors, and then War happened.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    that's a grudgin'

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Shorty101
    I was holding off on continuing my campaign until the patch that was on the beta branch went live (because I was too lazy to switch to the beta branch).

However, today they updated the beta again, so I guess I'll just go ahead and switch to that so I can continue.

Patch notes for the new beta patch HERE.

Kristmas Kthulhu
    Looks like lots of improvements to Greenskins, which is cool. Black Orc Big Boss (BOBB) had skills reworked, so looks like you need to start a new campaign if he was in your employ or he might be missing points.

Something I enjoyed from the tech tree changes:
    Boar Painting
    10% recruitment cost for Savage Orcs replaced by +10% speed for Orc Boars

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah everyone knows a sick flame job makes it go faster

Kristmas KthulhuFencingsaxOlivawLord_Asmodeus
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I’m playing and c easy/easy skaven vortex campaign and 150turns in I’m steam rolling everyone now that I finally understand how to play skaven.

I want to restart the game as a different faction. Any suggestions?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like the high elves a lot, they've got lots of cool infantry, plus DRAGONS

So I’m playing and c easy/easy skaven vortex campaign and 150turns in I’m steam rolling everyone now that I finally understand how to play skaven.

I want to restart the game as a different faction. Any suggestions?

If you have Hunter & the Beast, Shadow & the Blade, or Warden & the Paunch then any of the lords from those have their own special campaign on the Vortex map instead of having to participate in the Vortex Ritual race. Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings also have their own campaigns that ignore the Vortex.

Of course, even if you have a lord that participates in the Vortex race, you can always just ignore it and do whatever you want. You really can't actually lose the Vortex race because if another faction beats you to it, then you get a special quest battle where you team up with the other two factions to crush whoever won. Then you get to continue proceeding in your own collection of ritual doodads.

If you have Ikit Claw and didn't play as him, then you can also give him a whirl if you want to do more Skaven as he adds a bit to the Skaven toolkit. Perhaps conquering the Mortal Empires map with him?

Bretonnia is free and has their whole Chivalry thing going on the Mortal Empires map that could be interesting. Repanse has further unique mechanics for her crusade in the desert.

edited June 2020
    With the Steam Sale now active, here is a quick buying priority guide:

1. Total Warhammer 2: Get this first, netting you four races (High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven) and the Eye of the Vortex campaign.
    2. Total Warhammer: Treat this as a DLC for the second game. It will give you 5 more races (Empire, Greenskins, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, and Bretonnia) and will unlock the Mortal Empires campaign in the second game.
    3. Lord/Unit Packs for whatever Race you want to play (feel free to skip packs for Races you don't intend to play, I've just listed them in release order)
    • Grim & the Grave: Expands Empire and Vampire Counts, but no real unique campaign mechanics
    • King & the Warlord: Expands Dwarfs and Greenskins, with campaigns involving taking Karak Eight Peaks
    • Queen & the Crone: Expands High Elves and Dark Elves, with some unique campaign mechanics despite still participating in the Vortex race
    • Prophet & the Warlock: Expands Lizardmen and Skaven (with some very nice skaven units), with some unique campaign mechanics despite still participating in the Vortex race
    • Hunter & the Beast: Expands Empire and Lizardmen, allowing Empire to play in the Vortex campaign and featuring a unique Vortex campaign for both them and the Lizardmen
    • Shadow & the Blade: Expands Dark Elves and Skaven, with unique Vortex campaigns
    • Warden & the Paunch: Expands High Elves and Greenskins, allowing Greenskins to play in the Vortex campaign and featuring a unique Vortex campaign for both them and the High Elves
    4. New Race Packs for races you're interested in playing. Get whatever if you want them for multiplayer, but if you're interested in the campaigns, then I've listed them in the order of best campaign to worst:
    • Vampire Coast
    • Tomb Kings
    • Norsca
    • Wood Elves (this DLC includes a short mini-campaign that is only available in the first game)
    • Chaos Warriors
    • Beastmen (this DLC includes a short mini-campaign that is only available in the first game)

Also if you want the Blood effects and the extra campaign events (they're minor, just things that randomly pop up sometimes to apply buffs to every faction), you can grab Blood for the Blood God. The one from the first game applies to both games so you don't need to buy the one for the second game if you bought the one from the first.

Lars on
    Kristmas KthulhuLordSolarMachariusLockedOnTarget
    Da Nutz 'n' Boltz Update that has been in beta is now live for everyone to enjoy.

BouwsT
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ha! Zoats!

The official Total War account tweeted out this teaser video with just the text "Azyr stirs..."

Teaser for Total Warhammer 2 DLC? Total Warhammer 3? Or something else?

LordSolarMachariusBouwsTOlivawLord_AsmodeusArdolHacksaw
    Content creators on youtube have confirmed it's for TWW3.

BouwsTFencingsaxLord_Asmodeus
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Content creators on youtube have confirmed it's for TWW3.

This news makes my heart glad.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    But isn't there more TWW2 DLC still slated?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    But isn't there more TWW2 DLC still slated?

Could just be a little drip of content to whet the appetite. Doesn't mean that TWW2 won't still receive DLC between now and the release of 3.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    Gvzbgul
    not having ever been into WHFB, I don't really what factions are there still to bring in

what's there to do for a third game?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    not having ever been into WHFB, I don't really what factions are there still to bring in

The big one everyone's expecting is Kislev, which is basically The Empire But They Ride Bears

That's my understanding, anyway, I'm not big on the lore

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    east of the WH1 map. there's a few official factions there(chaos dwarves, ogres/hobgoblins) and daemons to the north. plus cathay/ind/nippon, which have never really been expanded on and don't exist as full factions.

Fencingsax
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    all 4 chaos gods and their demon army, chaos dwarves, ogre kingdoms, nagash (think undead sauron, mix of vampire counts and tomb kings), kislev, southern realms

Less likely but still possible: Araby, Ind, Cathay, Nippon

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Basically all the four Chaos demon factions. Currently Chaos is in the game but it's focussed on the Warrior of Chaos armies which is mainly human.

So there's the four greater demons and all their minions.

Chaos dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms are the other tabletop armies still missing.

Then there's quite a lot of room for CA to add factions not from the table top such as Ind or Cathay like they did with Vampire Coast.

SharpyVII on
    Fencingsax
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    making each chaos deity into their own faction would be difficult since there aren't that many unique units about them.

plus it wouldn't be very fun to have an entire game be nothing but chaos daemons