As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Week 2 challenges done in one try pretty handily too.

3-man was a snap with Torb/Baptiste/McCree (me) even with both a potato Torb who never almost never fucking ulted and a Baptiste who blew his ult at complete random, including on the last Reaper spawn right before the final boss rush. Like, shit. I had the left side locked down, and they let the very first tire on the far right through. The increased damage let High Noons take everything but Hog pretty easily though, even with the other two being completely inept.

Explodey zomnics was Torb/Hanzo/McCree/Baptiste (me), and everybody knew exactly what they needed to be doing and played well, but especially the Hanzo was pretty damn dominant. Only hitch was the McCree apparently misclicked for the boss rush and squandered both his and my ult, then died, but the other two were good enough to mop things up without even letting any damage through to the door (but that comes naturally with Torb and Hanzo spamming ults) although they were on the edge of death and I was struggling to keep them alive, so it wouldn't have lasted much longer if they hadn't gotten the kills. The McCree did apologize, but a win's a win.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Had an obvious triggerbot in a game yesterday and got a notification about action today. Feels good.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The All-stars Rein skin is pretty loud in game, now I don't feel bad I forgot to get it

Another loss when the enemy team straight up ignored my team to kill me because my teammates did literally nothing. I did 45% of my team’s damage that game, and that was with basically no healing, peel, or shields. I feel like I should be climbing based on performance, but losses like this, combined with throwers and leavers, have stalled things out.

It’s so frustrating to watch my mercy healing a full health teammate while I’m actively dying in front of them, or a soldier dumping his mag into a rein shield from 5 inches away when a punch would finish him off.

And if I dare say the smallest thing, they throw or scream obscenities for the rest of the match.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Experimental time!
    Hey everyone!

We’re back with another Experimental mode focused on testing some changes to Baptiste, Mei, and a change in how we address health value adjustments. As with all Experimental modes, these changes are not guaranteed to reach the live version of the game.

What are we trying to address?

We’ve identified some weaknesses with Baptiste and Mei’s kits, which we’d like to address. Baptiste has been one of the lower-performing Support heroes recently. For Mei, we’ve found that reductions to her maximum ammo have had detrimental effects to her gameplay.

We’re also making some health adjustments to a number of heroes in increments of 25, rather than 50. Historically, we’ve always adjusted health and shield values in increments of 50 for ease of understanding how many hits a hero could take. After years of balance updates and fine tuning, we want to try getting a bit more granular with this approach.

What are we testing?

For Baptiste, we’re testing some changes that should allow Baptiste to deal damage quicker and land more impactful healing grenades. We’ve also found that the current iteration of Amplification Matrix forces teams to group closely together, so we’re increasing the width of the Amplification Matrix window for more accessible use.

Mei will now reload 15 ammo when she uses Cryo-Freeze. Since she spends more time out of ammo, Cryo-Freeze just delayed the inevitable need to have to reload afterwards. She still won’t be able to reload while frozen, but this should improve her gameplay flow.

We’re adjusting base health (and shields) for the heroes below in increments of 25 to test how more granular changes to health impact gameplay.

Brigitte (+25 health)
    McCree (+25 health)
    Symmetra (+25 shield)
    Widowmaker (-25 health)

We hope you check out the new Experimental mode and provide us with your feedback! Science will reveal the truth – And all great science requires data! As always, this is an Experiment, so the changes in this test may not reach the live game.

Thank you!

Also McCree got a reload buff, 1.5 to 1.2 seconds.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    These are the Baptiste buffs:
    Baptiste

Biotic Launcher

(Primary Fire) Recovery time reduced from 0.45 to 0.38 seconds
    (Primary Fire) Damage reduced from 25 to 24
    (Secondary Fire) Recovery increased from 0.8 to 0.9 seconds
    (Secondary Fire) Healing increased from 50 to 60

Amplification Matrix

Width increased from 5 to 9 meters

With his ult charge boost last patch this feels like he's creeping back up. Now, it wouldn't be a problem if they traded off with his immortality field being weaker or longer cooldown, but with his ult charge buff and these heal buffs he's easily going to become a go-to healer with Mercy right now.

Really, I think no support should be getting heal buffs right now, you play with everything else to make them stand out and Ana still needs a nerf (Mercy too TBH). But overall the supports are fine (boo hoo cry me a river Bridget sit down for a month or two), the DPS are close to being fine but there's still some outliers (Genji, 76, Ashe is going to be strong again if Widow loses health), and tanks are still quietly too strong compared to the other groups but they keep acting like they haven't been the most dominant group for the last year.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Hot Takes:

They continue to not know how to make that stubby legged cowboy relevant and I love it!

Brig for sure needed that extra 25 with all her nerfs.

It's hilarious, given how FUCKING MASSIVE Symm's ult is, that Bap's is limited to a small mcdonald's drive-thru window.

Took a break from fucking around in Junkenstein for the last week to poke at Comp before the end of season makes it unplayable.

First game, four golds as Rein. Our DPS ulted literally once between the two of them. They got no kills.

Second game, DPS completely ignored the Doom diving... well, front line, back line, didn't matter. I had hope for a second because one of them switched to Sombra. They then spent the entire time on the opposite side of the enemy team, and then ulted in a 2v5. The Pharah was flanking on the opposite side of her.

Switched it over to support for the third game, straight up thrower. Picked Torb. Did nothing but throw down a turret and then hammer it.

Final game, one of our DPS was AFK in spawn on defense until about 20 seconds into the match. I had my ult as Baptiste literally before he even made it to the fight, which was already lost at that point.

So I guess the game's already unplayable. Seeya again in a month, non-Junkenstein Overwatch.

ztrEPtD.gif
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Took a break from fucking around in Junkenstein for the last week to poke at Comp before the end of season makes it unplayable.

First game, four golds as Rein. Our DPS ulted literally once between the two of them. They got no kills.

Second game, DPS completely ignored the Doom diving... well, front line, back line, didn't matter. I had hope for a second because one of them switched to Sombra. They then spent the entire time on the opposite side of the enemy team, and then ulted in a 2v5. The Pharah was flanking on the opposite side of her.

Switched it over to support for the third game, straight up thrower. Picked Torb. Did nothing but throw down a turret and then hammer it.

Final game, one of our DPS was AFK in spawn on defense until about 20 seconds into the match. I had my ult as Baptiste literally before he even made it to the fight, which was already lost at that point.

So I guess the game's already unplayable. Seeya again in a month, non-Junkenstein Overwatch.

I feel your pain.

Numbani first point offense. I’m Dva. Their monkey dives. I boop him out of bubble and kill him. Then I dive hanzo and kill him, losing my mech. I get mercy to 1 health before dying.

Somehow, I get blamed for this fight loss and then flamed for the rest of the match.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Numbani first point offense. I’m Dva. Their monkey dives. I boop him out of bubble and kill him. Then I dive hanzo and kill him, losing my mech. I get mercy to 1 health before dying.

Somehow, I get blamed for this fight loss and then flamed for the rest of the match.

It's incredible how you've never had a loss that was your fault

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »

It's incredible how you've never had a loss that was your fault

Of course I do. But this one wasn’t it.

I’d you want a fail, i played Zarya on Route 66 and bubbled the wrong person. Got our monkey instead of blading genji.

Definitely my fault.

If you want another, I stupidly tried to rez a genji cuz he had blade to clutch a fight but died before it went off. Should have kept rein up instead for shatter on eichenwald.

I spend a lot of time critiquing and focusing on my play to eliminate dumb mistakes. It unfortunately makes other people’s mistakes really clear too.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Personally, I had enough self-loathing moments and doubts of self-worth every game I played Competitive in that it would probably be even more repetitive than posting about other people's failures tbh

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm probably just gonna take a break from OW until OW2 is out. Got a lot of other stuff to finish anyway.

• Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    I am having more fun in comp.

Open playlist
    No voice chat
    Unbind all comms except ult status
    Just play what I want (Sombra mostly)
    Never open messages

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Sombra without being on voice chat is throwing lol

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    depends on rank, tbh. if you're good with her individually, you can get work done without having to rely on your team (who might not be in chat, or are in chat but are being toxic, or just aren't listening, or are solo'ing into the team anyway, etc.)

you just have to play her different than you would if you're expecting support from your team. (also depends on enemy comp and how much opportunity there is to isolate and pick off enemies)

Houk the Namebringer on
    Personally, I had enough self-loathing moments and doubts of self-worth every game I played Competitive in that it would probably be even more repetitive than posting about other people's failures tbh

Also I can work to fix those. But if, during a stable fight, my team’s Moira fades in front of rein, predictably dies, and then flames me for not bubbling him fast enough (even tho I did bubble him, but he took roughly a billion damage and vaporized), I can’t fix that. So I vent a little here to avoid trying to throttle my teammate through the internet.

In good news, tho, I gained a few hundred SR by one-tricking Dva for a while and blowing up all the S76s who think they’re immortal.

Also I can work to fix those. But if, during a stable fight, my team’s Moira fades in front of rein, predictably dies, and then flames me for not bubbling him fast enough (even tho I did bubble him, but he took roughly a billion damage and vaporized), I can’t fix that. So I vent a little here to avoid trying to throttle my teammate through the internet.

In good news, tho, I gained a few hundred SR by one-tricking Dva for a while and blowing up all the S76s who think they’re immortal.

It's been a long time since I've been able to play DVa and not feel like I was either pretty much just shutting down the enemy Rein, or throwing. Too many fucking Hogs, Hamsters, and Zaryas, all of which just fucking eat her alive, not to mention being weak against Genjis, Meis, and Reapers, which continue to be a plague on everything.

ztrEPtD.gif
    They need to remake DvA to be a glass cannon. Higher damage (but with ammo and reload), and maybe make her missiles fewer but with more damage in them (and some projectile lag between them). I'd prefer matrix be an ability that activates and works on cooldown so she's a last second save against grav or a deadeye but can't be this consistent enemy fire denier. Because right now they can never balance her right between mobility/defense/health and damage. If they add even more shield tanks into the game, a) we're screwed but b) this would make her stand out more. A classier Roadhog that isn't braindead hook shoot combo.

• Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Coinage wrote: »

Edit: thanks fun police. I’ve ranked back up to diamond doing this so I guess I’ll keep “throwing”.

Trojan35 on
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It's been a long time since I've been able to play DVa and not feel like I was either pretty much just shutting down the enemy Rein, or throwing. Too many fucking Hogs, Hamsters, and Zaryas, all of which just fucking eat her alive, not to mention being weak against Genjis, Meis, and Reapers, which continue to be a plague on everything.

I see a lot more hitscan recently, specifically S76 due to the buffs. Plus roadhog really shouldn’t be hooking you and defense matrix can save a hooked teammate.

I play her to do two things basically: contain hitscan on the high ground and peeling flankers.

Plus she’s one of the only tanks that can successfully harass pharah.

TexiKen wrote: »
    They need to remake DvA to be a glass cannon. Higher damage (but with ammo and reload), and maybe make her missiles fewer but with more damage in them (and some projectile lag between them). I'd prefer matrix be an ability that activates and works on cooldown so she's a last second save against grav or a deadeye but can't be this consistent enemy fire denier. Because right now they can never balance her right between mobility/defense/health and damage. If they add even more shield tanks into the game, a) we're screwed but b) this would make her stand out more. A classier Roadhog that isn't braindead hook shoot combo.

My dream remake of her has her DM/Missiles tied together in a synergistic loop. More damage she eats, more/stronger missiles she spews. More missiles she hits, more she can DM. Basically, this build/loadout/playstyle, with her mobility instead of his (slam) CC. Fuck, give her his ult too. Baby DVa is more of a detriment than a help almost all of the time.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited October 2020
    Oh my fucking god. Mystery Swap was feeling pretty dumb. Just randomizes your team every minute on the minute. Pretty sure it's set to give you at least one support, and ultimate charge carries over, so you just build it up and then store it until it rolls you to a good one or a boss. No just spamming it like usual. You can get duplicates too. We had two McCrees when the Summoner spawned. She died... fast.

Then we got to boss rush and it rolled us from Ashe, Ashe, 76, Zenyatta into Ana, Ana, Hanzo, Genji (me). We went from the door at full health to BARELY eking out a win. Jesus fucking christ, RNG.

Tire spam is pretty fucking rough. Every bombadier you kill spawns a tire on the spot. Elites spawn two tires. First couple tries have been with teams that were potatoes or just stupid comps though. Still looking for a team that isn't garbage.

E: After a couple more tries, I feel like you pretty much need to be going 76, McCree, Torbjorn, Baptiste for this. You MIGHT be able to sub in a super good Ashe for 76 since her coach gun is super good for pushing tires away from the door, but Boss Rush, you just fucking NEED to sweep the board all at once and then clear the onslaught of tires. Like, multiple times now, I've seen people just not bothering to kite Reaper away from the door and it goes from full to 50% in literally one shot.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i mean... if u play well its fine

its a 50:50 that ur even getting people noticing ur voice comms in gm, and below that lets be real people MASSIVELY overrate the value of voice comms (both because they say things that are unhelpful, wrong or both and because they ignore or incorrectly respond to the calls of others)

observe the support yelling SOMEBODY KILL THE FLANKING HOG as he flanks for the 20th time in a game, ignored

obF2Wuw.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

i mean... if u play well its fine

its a 50:50 that ur even getting people noticing ur voice comms in gm, and below that lets be real people MASSIVELY overrate the value of voice comms (both because they say things that are unhelpful, wrong or both and because they ignore or incorrectly respond to the calls of others)

observe the support yelling SOMEBODY KILL THE FLANKING HOG as he flanks for the 20th time in a game, ignored

yeah pretty much this. as someone in the pleb ranks, i've been alternating play sessions between "do everything I can to communicate and coordinate" and "ignore comms and focus on my own play" just to see if anything is different, and tbh the results are pretty similar except that I don't have the constant stress of people being shitty and stupid toward myself and each other when I drop out of chat

being in chat doesn't necessarily improve your chances of success if there's no meaningful communication happening and/or nobody actually knows what they're talking about

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...there have been plenty of times I told my team I was going for EMP in chat, hit the voice line just to be sure.

Only to get a 6 man with no follow-up cause they'll all still shooting from a far off corner.

Voice comms only really work if your team is receptive to them which gets less and less likely the further out from GM you are.

edited October 2020
    I’ve turned off voice completely outside of organized play. Comms that are useful in a scrim can be actively harmful with randoms. A lot of them can’t really process the visual information or voice cues, so additional information locks them up.

Plus, the game is more pleasant when I am at zero risk of hearing slurs. Incidentally, my bulldog enjoys the sound of dvas voice but can’t stand roadhog.

sanstodo on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If there's one thing I don't regret maining triple digit hours with Zen, it's the way I taught myself how to effectively and precisely shotcall and relay information in voice chat, (which in a small way helped me introspecting with the way I communicated with team members on my day job, and built the emotional fortitude to deal with or even defuse toxic team situations). Yeah when people weren't quite on the same wavelength it sucked, but part of chasing the dopamine for me in Competitive was the pride I felt of being able to rope a group of randos into a semi-cohesive team just with the power of voice communication, which was something I'd never tried in a competitive multiplayer game until Overwatch and it felt rewarding as hell.

The commendations system helped crystallize that honeymoon feeling quite a while longer before I crashed and burnt out on the game itself. Sometimes I do miss that feeling

BRIAN BLESSED on
    My record is 15 wins, 5 losses, and 2 tied with Dva this season. She’s still good.

The riptire surprise challenge was probably the hardest of all the challenges, but I was able to win all of them on the 1st try this event compared to the Rialto challenges. You pretty much need Torb to lay the magma just in front of the doors not because of the grenadiers but because when you kill a boss they also spawn a tire and that's where the event tricks you. We were one tire away from losing before we killed Junkenstein at the end.

Didn’t manage to clip it, but my favorite part of yesterday was eating a Mei ult, causing the opposing Zarya to flame Mei in global chat. So I ate his grav next and he rage quit in shame.

Experimental changes are live now, minus Baptiste's ult, which is still planned but needs an art pass.

There are not enough avoid slots for players who park at choke and expect shields to last forever.

TexiKen wrote: »
    The riptire surprise challenge was probably the hardest of all the challenges, but I was able to win all of them on the 1st try this event compared to the Rialto challenges. You pretty much need Torb to lay the magma just in front of the doors not because of the grenadiers but because when you kill a boss they also spawn a tire and that's where the event tricks you. We were one tire away from losing before we killed Junkenstein at the end.

The riptire challenge is pretty ugly. I also try pinging players to group up away from the door before landing the final blow but it's hard because players are conditioned at this point not to do that

The randomizer challenge is actually pretty fun. Wierd thing to say but there it is. Probably the most time I've ever spent playing Tracer in this game l m a o

Hog on my team hit 3 hooks the entire match and somehow claimed he wasn’t feeding.

Their reaper got more kills on him than he got hooks. Like, what exactly does he think playing well looks like?

Hog on my team hit 3 hooks the entire match and somehow claimed he wasn’t feeding.

Their reaper got more kills on him than he got hooks. Like, what exactly does he think playing well looks like?

read your first sentence and was gonna make a point that not hitting your hooks isn't necessarily feeding

saw your second sentence, and yeah playing Hog into Reaper if you're not a goddamn Hog savant is definitely a case for feeding