As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Other team plays Mei on king’s row. Multiple team members tell rein to back up so he won’t get walled off. He gets walled off and dies.

Both teams finish map. We remind rein to back up. He gets walled off and dies. We lose, obviously.

Next map, they have a widow and our dps are Mccree and soldier. She’s playing way back, not diveable.

Both his hitscan peek her over and over and die. Somehow this is the healers fault.

Edit: like, all I want is my teammates not to hard feed over and over. Maybe learn after they get punished.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i don't play comp usually, just qp but i see this a lot and i think i know what happens. people have waited a long time to play dps and they just want to play their character. It seems so obvious that a switch would help win but they think someone else will do it or don't think about it. the thought process is "i'll just be better/faster/smarter and then we'll win on this character, i don't need to switch.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This new patch is another one step forward two steps back. They don't want to nerf Ana or Mercy so they buff Baptiste and Bridget again, making them be the off pick to Mercy now, which also buffs Genji indirectly with the burst heals who still didn't get a proper nerf (he went from hella broken to just OP), and with Genji stronger the weaker Widow is now replaced by Ashe or 76. And you have a too strong Sigma at the center of it all.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nerf Mercy? Why would they do that?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I personally think Mercy isn't as bad as people keep saying she is, but calling her burst heals seems. Generous

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I personally think Mercy isn't as bad as people keep saying she is, but calling her burst heals seems. Generous

I think TexiKen meant that Genji is buffed because of the improved burst heals delivered by an improved Brigitte and Baptiste.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't know why Texi keeps saying Mercy and Ana need nerfs, they absolutely do not. They're completely fine as is.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I think TexiKen meant that Genji is buffed because of the improved burst heals delivered by an improved Brigitte and Baptiste.

Oh thanks, that's my fault for misreading the sentence when I woke up 10 minutes prior lmao

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I don't know why Texi keeps saying Mercy and Ana need nerfs, they absolutely do not. They're completely fine as is.

I feel like both are symptoms more than problems themselves. They're both strong because they push various DPS past damage thresholds. Which exact ones and how badly varies by patch, but as long as DPS remain as deadly as they are, especially since so many are balanced on razor's edge of kill numbers, abilities that boost damage are going to be problematic. It is kind of interesting how Orisa's ult isn't nearly as strong as either though. I suspect it's because it doesn't mesh well with either diving like Nano does, or snipers like Mercy does. Or it could be because it doesn't provide an innate defensive benefit from either a pocket Mercy or the damage reduction from nano. Or it could be that it's just a lot more invisible than either and it is also an issue but people just don't notice it. Or don't notice it because nobody likes playing Orisa, especially after the big Halt nerf.

I also wonder sometimes what things would be like if there was more than one actually reliable defensive ult in the game.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I remember seeing a bit of trivia that Orisa's ult has the highest 'win the fight' rate out of every ult. People just don't realize because it's not flashy.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    It's similar to how the best part of Mercy's ult isn't really the fact that she can theoretically heal everyone at once, it's more the fact that she readily boosts the damage output of the entire team which can very much turn the tide of a fight in a moment

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah Orisa's ult is crazy powerful, it's just also SUPER easy to waste and get zero value from (and like Sombra's ult, relies on your team to get full value from, which is always a rough proposition)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I feel like both are symptoms more than problems themselves. They're both strong because they push various DPS past damage thresholds. Which exact ones and how badly varies by patch, but as long as DPS remain as deadly as they are, especially since so many are balanced on razor's edge of kill numbers, abilities that boost damage are going to be problematic. It is kind of interesting how Orisa's ult isn't nearly as strong as either though. I suspect it's because it doesn't mesh well with either diving like Nano does, or snipers like Mercy does. Or it could be because it doesn't provide an innate defensive benefit from either a pocket Mercy or the damage reduction from nano. Or it could be that it's just a lot more invisible than either and it is also an issue but people just don't notice it. Or don't notice it because nobody likes playing Orisa, especially after the big Halt nerf.

I also wonder sometimes what things would be like if there was more than one actually reliable defensive ult in the game.

I mean we already know what that would be like cause it already happened. DPS players would complain about their big plays constantly getting shut down then they would get nerfed.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I mean we already know what that would be like cause it already happened. DPS players would complain about their big plays constantly getting shut down then they would get nerfed.

One of the big reasons I stopped playing a bit back was the constant nerfing of tanks, and I'm generally a tank/support player in team games. Blizzard just hates to make tanks fun to play, but also makes them necessary.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i don't play comp usually, just qp but i see this a lot and i think i know what happens. people have waited a long time to play dps and they just want to play their character. It seems so obvious that a switch would help win but they think someone else will do it or don't think about it. the thought process is "i'll just be better/faster/smarter and then we'll win on this character, i don't need to switch.
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I wish they didn’t cater to dps at all. Because a bunch are overtuned and it really makes tanking suck.

Also, it’s last fight time and I’m rein. I’m approaching cart.

My reaper wraiths on front of my shield, and gets instadeleted.

Somehow this is my fault.

• Options
    I’m honestly confused how I’m at the same ELO as these players. My stats are overall significantly better (like, I do 40% more dmg per 10 min as a Zarya on my team and double the average charge) and I don’t get picked stupidly. I hold my own in scrims with average SR 1k over mine.

Is it because I have a more enabling rather than solo carry style? That’s a bit frustrating then, because it seems like solo carry types develop bad habits that get punished higher up.

But it’s also frustrating to save a player and create a 2v1, only for that teammate to abandon me, creating an even or disfavored situation (for example, matrixing my mccree to save him from reaper, only to have the mccree run away instead of killing the reaper, leading to my de-meching and death).

Is that a mistake in this context? Should I just leave that dude to die?

Feels bad to develop that habit tho.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    if ur below 3k paying attention to ur team beyond "most of them are over here" is probs unwise

just kill things and on average u will go up

if ur a tank locking hog/ball/zarya and killing things until u leave the cursed zone is probs the least brain aching way

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Watching one of yesterday’s games and found another example. My team’s Ana overextends and is in trouble. Their rein charges and hits him. I countercharge and save Ana, but I die in the process since my offtank is flanking and can’t/won’t help. We lose the fight.

It feels like the right play but maybe I should let him die?

• Options
    if ur below 3k paying attention to ur team beyond "most of them are over here" is probs unwise

if ur a tank locking hog/ball/zarya and killing things until u leave the cursed zone is probs the least brain aching way

Doesn’t that create the dynamic at hand, tho? Everyone is focused on frags and ignores each other, creating even worse games, given that kills are only one of the important aspects of the game.

• Options
    We've definitely seen that their internal calculations and tweaks to MMR based on performance are a bit simplistic and stupid. Prime example, the Orisa patch that completely fucked up all support SRs (and presumably MMRs) for a month or two. I tried watching a couple mid Diamond level streamers once, and they mostly frustrated me for how little gamesense they had. Like never checked the status screen, no idea where healthpacks were, ulted just whenever, didn't track enemy ults at all, etc etc. The grass is not greener at higher levels, they're simply have more of WHATEVER nonsense stat Blizzard is using to measure SR. Which just makes it more frustrating to be thrown in with people who are terrible at all that AND frequently throwing too, and even a consistent winning record isn't enough to move up thanks to their SR tweaking.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

Doesn’t that create the dynamic at hand, tho? Everyone is focused on frags and ignores each other, creating even worse games, given that kills are only one of the important aspects of the game.

if it wins, it wins

ur team arent meant to do anything. they just do. i literally had a game where the rank 17 tank went on the flank and hard inted. u gotta play the game as it exists

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Slightly off topic, but is this thread wicked busted for anyone else? I can't convince Vanilla that my most recent message read isn't the second in the thread, not even by marking the entire forum as read. We're currently at 562 "unread" messages.

---
    Edit: Ha! Posting seems to have fixed it, because of course it did, but we'll see if that holds as more posts are made.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but is this thread wicked busted for anyone else? I can't convince Vanilla that my most recent message read isn't the second in the thread, not even by marking the entire forum as read. We're currently at 562 "unread" messages.

---
    Edit: Ha! Posting seems to have fixed it, because of course it did, but we'll see if that holds as more posts are made.

pretty sure it's a known bug that's been cropping up for a lot of people across the forum, something to do with the bookmarking system i believe

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

---

pretty sure it's a known bug that's been cropping up for a lot of people across the forum, something to do with the bookmarking system i believe

Weird! I've only seen it on this thread so far but posting seems to have resolved it completely.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

---

Weird! I've only seen it on this thread so far but posting seems to have resolved it completely.

To avoid it in the future you should read a thread before bookmarking it FYI. You can fix it afterwards by posting in it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

if it wins, it wins

ur team arent meant to do anything. they just do. i literally had a game where the rank 17 tank went on the flank and hard inted. u gotta play the game as it exists

Then why even make a multiplayer game rather than use bots? It seems like people are recommending to act like a sociopath and they may be right, but it feels awful to me.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    root tubers are full of starch

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

if it wins, it wins

Then why even make a multiplayer game rather than use bots? It seems like people are recommending to act like a sociopath and they may be right, but it feels awful to me.

But all you're doing is spamming the thread with bitching about how everything is your teammates fault, day after day. That's never gonna change! Turn on any of your favorite streamers and they'll get the exact same shit leading to losses too! Throwers and bad comps and rage-monsters and etc etc etc are never gonna stop. The good news is they're also gonna happen on the enemy team at an equal rate.

The only thing you can do is improve your own play and play a bunch of games. If you want you can post replay codes too and ask for constructive feedback, this thread still has people that are usually happy to do that.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

ur team-mates are human. they have limited understanding. they do not think of things as you do. they make mistakes. if you keep assuming they do things and they are not doing those things, the fault is not theirs but yours

you can either fight the world or change what you're thinking

right now you are obviously spending more time fighting than winning. up to you how you use that information

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

ur team-mates are human. they have limited understanding. they do not think of things as you do. they make mistakes. if you keep assuming they do things and they are not doing those things, the fault is not theirs but yours

right now you are obviously spending more time fighting than winning. up to you how you use that information

I strongly disagree with this sentiment (not just in games, but in all areas of life) but this is getting off topic so I’ll drop it.

In game related news, what is going on with Paris? They had a good core but it’s basically fallen apart (money issues?) and they lost their iconic player (Soon).

I’m worried this signals some serious financial troubles not just with them but other orgs too. OWL might fall apart before OW2 arrived.

• Options
    I'm sympathetic to how much Overwatch's playerbase can suck, but gratified that I'm not suffering alone. It's a bit of a truism to say that if you stop caring, then you won't care any more. There are way too many assholes in Overwatch still, and it doesn't help that it really seems like Blizzard has given up either doing anything about them, or reinforce/support good behavior.

I also think that incentivizing simply playing the game, win or lose, is something that Blizzard has done a really REALLY shitty job, above and beyond how many trolls, throwers, and especially people AFK at the start of matches there are. Like, seriously. That's the easiest fucking thing to detect. Why is there about a 50% chance it's going to be a 6v5 on defense to start every fucking match because someone was AFK until 5 seconds before the round started?

Ahem. All the incentives are kills and winning, and wins in the end are the only thing that matters towards anything at all. Things like Fortnite or Dead by Daylight are constantly giving you new goals and objectives to do as you play (in addition to not stagnating on content for so very, very long), so even when you're stuck with a bunch of potatoes or matched out of your league, you can still be able to accomplish SOMETHING rather than feel like you were just plain fucked the moment the match began and were stuck with it. Plus, the only actual incentive towards stepping out of your comfort zone is queue time, and if you're a tank/support player, you don't even get that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

I strongly disagree with this sentiment (not just in games, but in all areas of life) but this is getting off topic so I’ll drop it.

In game related news, what is going on with Paris? They had a good core but it’s basically fallen apart (money issues?) and they lost their iconic player (Soon).

I’m worried this signals some serious financial troubles not just with them but other orgs too. OWL might fall apart before OW2 arrived.

what rating are u

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

what rating are u

Support: about 3400, tank and dps: about 2300. Support is on a separate account (created back before role queue).

sanstodo on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

A lot of teams were relying on homestands to make money. Covid made sure that isn't happening until 2022 at the earliest. I guess the Paris ownership decided to cut their losses as much as they possibly can.

• Options

if it wins, it wins

no, not a sociopath

like a human

having this sentiment in an online game and having it in real life are two very different things, so I'm not sure why you're making that connection in the first place. the point is, if you're not enjoying your time with the game and it's mainly because of your teammates, all you can really do is either change your perspective, or stop playing. because the teammates aren't ever gonna change.

I totally get using the thread as a place to vent after a tough round of matches, but if your thing is "I really want to climb but it's my teammates that are holding me back" well...that's rarely true, and even if it is, holding onto that mentality isn't going to get you where you want to go. Once I accepted that my place in scrub tier was earned and I don't really have any business climbing much higher than I'm at right now, it became a lot easier to accept the failings and fuck-ups of my teammates, because that shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it. All I can do is focus on my own play and hope the rest of my team keeps up their end of the bargain.

Leavers, smurfs, and actual throwers still suck obviously, and I will complain about them (if only to myself) to no end.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    whenever i feel too bad about my performance i remember back to a ye olden lan party i had about 20 (give or take a few) lan party. I was convinced i was playing with people that should play Counter Strike professionally because they were just too good for me and i felt really bad about my potato aim. Then i saw another guy at the party and he was constantly just running into walls and aiming at the sky and i thought....well, i'm not that guy!

i chuckle because i'm pretty sure it was mostly his pc not able to run the game we were playing so everything was super delayed and i just have to laugh off terrible performance. I try to do my best but sometimes things are good and sometimes things just aren't good. My typical go to for the last few months has been being faster at switching characters if i don't feel like i'm contributing in a match. I'm definitely better with some more than others (i can't play doom at all) but just picking a good counter to what appears to be one of the enemy teams better players makes matches go a lot better.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I've run a 2200 to 3900 comp range over the years and there aint fuckin' any time where it's worth getting salty over teammates.

It's you and 5 other random assholes on the internet - what the ever-loving fuck did people expect?

• Options
    Why would we think there's a new hero soon?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    no more heroes til OW2

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    OW2 is being released right after Cyberpunk 2077, my uncle works at Blizzard. Unfortunately Cyberpunk is never coming out, so