As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Allowing Zen to fly for whatever fuckin reason (lol) seems like some kind of solution to a problem that didn't really exist

Zen 150% has a mobility problem.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Allowing Zen to fly for whatever fuckin reason (lol) seems like some kind of solution to a problem that didn't really exist

i mean, if he stopped levitating and like ran and jumped maybe he wouldn't? Or, oh no, do his legs not work? Wait, he's a robot, can't he get new legs?!?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

i mean, if he stopped levitating and like ran and jumped maybe he wouldn't? Or, oh no, do his legs not work? Wait, he's a robot, can't he get new legs?!?

put wheels, a V8 engine, and a jetpack on zen

boom next question

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

My fiancée once told me “if they’re shooting at you, stop being lazy and run.”

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

put wheels, a V8 engine, and a jetpack on zen

boom next question

Zen x ingenium

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I can't tell if he's broken good or broken terrible, but either way I'm going to miss this version of Wrecking Ball.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Can I just call out the absolutely excessive amounts of lingo folks use in this game now? I mean... I played TF2 for many years, I feel like I know FPS lingo extremely well, but I honestly do not understand people anymore when they talk in this game.

I wish folks could restrict themselves to either terms defined in the game (objective, elim), or terms that are well understood throughout the FPS community (push, kd).

Like WTF is Poke? Feed? Window? I can't even remember half of them right now. Voice chat is just a mix of unintelligible nonsense. It may as well be greek.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Poke is sort of a pre-team fight thing where you're doing damage at range in the hopes of killing one of them or at least wearing the other team down for the actual fight.

Feeding is when someone plays overly aggressive and dies early in every fight. It can also refer to feeding ultimate charge, which is usually referring to a tank (especially Roadhog) because of the large health pools.

Window is Baptiste's ultimate because it looks like a window and is quicker to say than Amplification Matrix.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's kind of unrealistic to expect any game like this not to develop its own lingo and shorthand. that's like expecting basketball to only use slang that can equally apply to any other sport.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Some of those aren't Overwatch specific, either. "Feeding" as a term has been around a long time.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    A lot of these seem borrowed from MOBAs and other multiplayer games that focus around coordinating relatively small teams. They're being used here and not necessarily in, for example, TF2, because they're uniquely applicable. Feeding isn't really a thing in TF2 because the spawn rates are (often) faster, the teams are (usually) larger, and you don't gain anything like XP or ult charge.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm still furious they never gave us a proper 12v12 mode like TF2. I thought it would take a few months at best. Apparently they were entirely uninterested.

This game has always just been a continuation of TF2 to me.

Mei is Pyro. :rotate:

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    it's kind of unrealistic to expect any game like this not to develop its own lingo and shorthand. that's like expecting basketball to only use slang that can equally apply to any other sport.

Somehow I didn't have trouble picking terms up in the UT or TF2 days. I must be getting old :razz:

Maybe I'd be less upset if people wouldn't wait until the last 60 seconds of a round, and then start yelling in voice chat that I'm terrible because <nonsense />.

Seriously, from context I figured "Feeding" just means "Not playing well enough".

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It's called feeding because the enemy team is gaining strength by killing you repeatedly, which is typically true of MOBAs but in Overwatch's case it's ult charge. Less precisely it can just mean that you're dying too easily.

Zek on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah feeding is just one of those things that started off with a pretty specific, useful meaning and has since just become an "I don't know what happened but you died so you must suck" insult used by crappy shit-talkers in most cases

• Options
    I'm still furious they never gave us a proper 12v12 mode like TF2. I thought it would take a few months at best. Apparently they were entirely uninterested.

This game has always just been a continuation of TF2 to me.

Mei is Pyro. :rotate:

This sentiment messed me up in Overwatch for the longest time because I was a hardcore Pyro main in TF2 and could not get the hang of Mei. I really do think they play quite differently, despite their outward similarities... or maybe I was just a weird Pyro :p

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I wish there was a character more like Pyro that uses a flamethrower for damage, most of Mei's actual damage comes from her alt fire. Plus a lot of the power in her kit is in the wall.

I especially wish there was a speedster shotgun character like Scout. Tracer and Reaper just aren't the same.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    I wish there was a character more like Pyro that uses a flamethrower for damage, most of Mei's actual damage comes from her alt fire. Plus a lot of the power in her kit is in the wall.

I especially wish there was a speedster shotgun character like Scout. Tracer and Reaper just aren't the same.

The dark side calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-pqA5Xh0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8S3stYL5ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8WMICkEdeg

(I hate playing all three of them).

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    i've probably learned more about paladins in this thread than i have about overwatch

except that reinhardt tip that has completely changed my life

• Options
    I did play a lot of backburner pyro, and catching someone from behind as mei *usually* means you'll win the dual. So in that sense their positioning is similar.

But yes I was mostly joking.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/6q4XDDHGhHI

The Tracer and Zarya skins are gooooood. I'm also into that Bastion emote.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Okay...I might have to play just for that Lucio skin.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Here's all the skins peko, just mute the guy as fast as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXxEDwuYv4

Cavalry Tracer looks great, best of the bunch. Really sucks that they just kind of changed it and slapped it on Widow and 76 too. 76 should have had more of a Paul Revere or rugged Revolutionary style without the mask. Widow's doesn't match her at all, less black on the legs and remove the sleeves and you'd have something a bit more Widowish. Genji looks even more like a loser, Tony Tony Chopper wore it better (and was a better ninja a dab). Camo Goth Mercy is a joke, Zarya is eh, Zenyatta is eh, Lucio is trying too hard.

Surprised we even got this event this year, I was expecting just a two week challenge skin.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Oh, all the new challenges are unlocked all at once? That's... a weird decision.

E:
    Uprising with invincible barriers was pretty easy. Rein and Winston just straight up ignore them, and then just whoever else for the rest of the sustained DPS (we had Orisa) with a beefy healer (Mercy for the clear, but I feel Baptiste would likely be better).

Retribution with healy enemies is dumb. Basically forces coordination/only one enemy can take damage at a time. Zen to facilitate that and then the rest whoever but steer away from anybody with splash damage like Junk/Pharah, or even Hanzo is terrible because effectively has no ult.

Electric Storm is also pretty dumb and basically just a second "no tanks except Orisa allowed" mode.

Orisa's ridiculous sustain damage still obliterates all of these.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    they changed the unlock for the weekly skin to be based on the stars you receive for the archive mission, which is annoying because I just try to play the special challenges now and that's it, I don't really want to keep playing those modes. At least you get the stars if your team dies.

edit: DvA destroys in the Retribution game, her guns stagger the healing and her ult will kill multiple enemies at once and charges hella fast, so just use DvA/Orisa/Mercy/DPS and it's easy (Hamzo was used by someone)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    TexiKen wrote: »
    they changed the unlock for the weekly skin to be based on the stars you receive for the archive mission, which is annoying because I just try to play the special challenges now and that's it, I don't really want to keep playing those modes. At least you get the stars if your team dies.

edit: DvA destroys in the Retribution game, her guns stagger the healing and her ult will kill multiple enemies at once and charges hella fast, so just use DvA/Orisa/Mercy/DPS and it's easy (Hamzo was used by someone)

Ana's nades also block it, which combined with Nano really helps melt the specials. Was practically a cake walk for me with Orisa, Ana, Zen (me), and Reaper. Just shoot whatever Reaper's running at. Wasn't even a particularly good Reaper either. Kept trying to ult the specials which just filled their HP to full if they weren't Nade'd.

Also, I just learned today that the museum section of Retribution has been bugged since forever. It doesn't trigger that you're in the museum section until you shoot one of the initial enemies that spawn there and the doors stay open. So if nobody shoots anything, you can literally just walk straight through to the final area.

Only Uprising took more than two tries for me (Storm done in one). First time on Retribution failed because we had a Junk and Brig, so killing anything took forever. Uprising's problem is, as usual, entirely in the last section, which is annoying because it takes so long to get to, but Orisa is great for clearing out the far-off Bastions safely and after that, it's just a matter of taking your time.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know why people are running with no healing in glass cannon or any of the other modes
    I am only doing glass cannon for the spray. I lost every game I played and yet earned the weekly skin
    I keep running into idiots in glass cannon that run off for leroy jenkins style death and then complain how we cannot get to them

• Options
    There's an unwritten rule in these events that if you are in a team where there's at least a 2+ stack, one of them must be the healer. Also if you're the last one to pick a hero you pick the healer. Those 2 and 3 stacks who just lock DPS deserve to be wiped out, you won't win a game of chicken against me.

• Options
    That first rule is utter nonsense and I say that as someone who always solo queues for these events. I kind of agree with that second rule, but it's silly to turn character selection into a race to not be a healer.

• Options
    If you lock DPS before seeing whether your team is going to have a healer or not, you should accept partial responsibility when no one else picks a healer either. They're not doing anything worse than what you did, they just took longer.

• Options
    its weird, i played a few missions last night and it seemed like a game of chicken. if i picked a tank quickly then i usually got a healer (or two one time) with a dps. If i picked healer i got 3 dps.

• Options
    I pick last and just dodge if people picked something that is obviously doomed. Genji, Tracer, DVa on electro-enemies? Yeah, uh, no thanks.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    i pretty much only play the pve events on the easiest difficulty in order to get braindead event boxes, so i tend to just lock in zen, put on netflix, and not really have to worry about what anyone else picks or does

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    OWL starting this Friday.

We got a pick' em group going.

https://pickem.overwatchleague.com/en-us/leaderboard/2021/pa-scrimbux-exchange

Password is wang

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i pretty much only play the pve events on the easiest difficulty in order to get braindead event boxes, so i tend to just lock in zen, put on netflix, and not really have to worry about what anyone else picks or does

Though I am trying for the glass cannon achievement and spray again I am getting people picking bad fourths as I am either playing bastion or orisa maybe a healer but I am getting idiots picking then yelling why we cannot res them {they ran out of the church is a more often end of game killing the bots before getting overwhelmed
    I should just stop as I am used to pugging but I am not going to general chat to see if anyone is up for it and I have had really horrible games using the game browser

• Options
    edited April 2021
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/experimental/

Experimental Hero Updates

The next experiment begins! This time we're hoping to get your feedback on some balance changes. We're using the 2-2-2 Role Queue ruleset so that you can get a feel for how these balance changes might affect the live game.
    Baptiste
    Biotic Launcher (Secondary Fire)

Healing projectile explosion reduced from 60 to 50 health
    Healing projectile direct impact now restores an additional 20 health

Immortality Field

Now protects teammates to a minimum health threshold of 10% maximum health, down from 20%

D.Va
    Call Mech

Damage increased from 50 to 250

Echo
    Duplicate

When Duplicate ends, Echo will return to the health value she had prior to activating the ability, or to 100 health, whichever is higher

Moira
    Biotic Orb

Cooldown reduced from 10 to 8 seconds

Orisa
    Halt!

Cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds

Reinhardt

General

Armor reduced from 250 to 200 (Health/armor total reduced from 550 to 500)

Roadhog
    Scrap Gun (Primary and Secondary Fire)

Damage per projectile increased from 6 to 6.6

Sombra
    Stealth

Fade time when entering or exiting Stealth reduced from 0.75 to 0.45 seconds
    Movement speed bonus increased from 50 to 60%

Pailryder on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Oh hey it's the anniversary of Echo's live release. And OW2 isn't coming 2021, mm is that a long time without content...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It was already confirmed months ago OW2 won't be having a 2021 release.

• Options
    Reinhardt deserves the nerf
    I don't think you touch Baptiste's healing, you just slow down his rate of primary fire because that's what's making him strong right now, just cheap chip damage that's too fast for a support of all people
    Moira needs an ult charge increase if you touch anything on her

• Options
    Well they've been tuning down the overall damage anyway so I might be fine with them reverting Rein's health.

Also he keeps the hammer buff which was the more important of the two anyway.