As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Every single thing that's happened with OW2, from my position as a mid-skill console Tracer main, has elicited the response
    TexiKen wrote: »
    and that really makes me mad.

Let's walk through it.

Because there's one less tank to peel, they dropped Tracer's only means of damage output (short of melee and her ult) by 20%. TWENTY PERCENT. They bumped it up a smidgen, but it's still a massive difference

They turned on an ultra wide POV for console users - and didn't include the option to change it back - so effectively all enemies are smaller and harder to hit,

Mercy was already one of the harder supports to kill on Tracer because her HP regen would kick in during a Tracer's one-second reload, and they gave it to every support as a passive. OW2 balance for me is to make it far harder to one-clip anything, and make it far easier for every support to survive against me if I fail the one-clip, while Cassidies can still headshot-and-melee me and Meis and Ashes can still one-shot me,

Then they added another support that feels like she exists purely to fuck with my hero in particular, permitted as she is to headshot and melee-combo me faster than a Tracer could possibly headshot any 200HP hero to death and as a bonus now I have to track her fucking bell cooldown because if it's up, she can just take my ult and toss it in a ditch,

If a cool new skin or emote for my mains comes out, I can't play to get it. Thanks to Kotick and his Kotick ways, it's either pay for it or just not participate in (a great deal of) the game's content,

For reasons Blizzard seemingly cannot identify, MMR for a lot of the population seems kinda' fucked. Kinda' really fucked.

Because MMR is fucked, matchmaking is fucked and I am matched against current Top 500 players and Grandmasters 4/5 games if I queue DPS. To reiterate, I am a mid player. I lose and lose and lose and my reward is I seem to move UP in the MMR and it matches me against the best players in the game,
    and that really makes me mad

because now I am subjected to mouse users on console every. Single. Fucking. Game. When my brother and I played in our mid tier in OW1, even in its final months, cheaters using mice were rare. You'd meet one every six weeks or two months, as a smurf made its way up through the ranks, and it was like getting smoten by a God. There is no fighting back against a mouse user with aim assist, beyond the symbolic protest of trying - it's an absolutely horrible experience and now I get to enjoy it pretty much every single game,

What DOUBLE pisses me off about it is that current Blizzard president Mike Ybarra once said

He could fix it, he says! Blizzard could "use APIs that detect and not allow these," and they permit it to continue for the same reason they abandoned console-specific balancing, the same reason the MMR is permitted to be absolutely bonkers, the same reason the game pits Grandmaster 1s against Silver 5s - the quality of the player's experience, the quality of the game is not a priority by any measure,

The quality of the game is unimportant. The status of the in-game shop is the highest priority.

People are upset about the PvE lie or any recent thing and I'm not surprised any more. I'm surprised at the surprise. Blizzard comes out with a new turd, announces it's shiny, people look shocked to discover it reeks of shit and I'm just like, frantically gesturing to not just OW2 but like the last four or five years of Blizzard In General.

OW2 has been a loss. I can't play Overwatch games, playing matches that feel fair and matched, with and against players of my skill, while working towards rewards I find valuable. That's gone - we paid for it, it was taken from us, and a few weeks back Blizzard updated the EULA to say that by playing OW2 you agreed to never sue them for the loss of OW1.

Overwatch 2 : And That Really Makes Me Mad.

Wait...did they really do a POV change to console?

THAT EXPLAINS IT!

I wondered why I was suddenly a bad shot again! Seriously, I expected to be very rusty and I was never a naturally good shot...but it was so bad that I've basically given up on playing Ball - my absolute favourite tank - because I simply can't land the shots anymore to finish backline heroes, especially supports. I wondered what the hell was going on!

So yeah, I'm having fun with other tanks but it's still pretty sad that Ball is borderline unpickable for me, even though he was probably the hero I played and practice aim/techs on the most.

Then throw on that you're the solo tank so if you're not playing the mother duck style tank then you absolutely MUST be killing quickly and efficiently every time...it's just a bit sad.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    It went from (I believe) an 80 degree FOV to 120. No option to adjust it, just Maui singing You're Welcome.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Footage of all the changes:

https://youtu.be/yez_YMyrFm8

If the enemy team has a Cass, you're gonna want to get off Tracer.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Jesus, Cass is a quarterback now.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Played a lunch game with Cass and yeah that grenade is pretty damn strong. I forgot about Sombra, she's fucked if it hits her. It blocks ALL escape abilities. Genji also is much easier to stick because he can't just immediately deflect every time he's in range. The projectile is fairly slow, it's kind of like aiming a Junkrat nade, but the lock on is quite forgiving. I think it'll see a nerf.

I'm still in Diablo mode so it's fitting that S5 isn't that interesting. I'll probably just farm my dailies to hit 80.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    huh, big reworks to gibraltar

makes sense to make the 2nd choke less of a killbox the attackers have to get through, and it looks like the last point changes are to help defenders from being snowballed at the end, though i'll miss the old spawn room, it was cool

uc3ufTB.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Played a lunch game with Cass and yeah that grenade is pretty damn strong. I forgot about Sombra, she's fucked if it hits her. It blocks ALL escape abilities. Genji also is much easier to stick because he can't just immediately deflect every time he's in range. The projectile is fairly slow, it's kind of like aiming a Junkrat nade, but the lock on is quite forgiving. I think it'll see a nerf.

I'm still in Diablo mode so it's fitting that S5 isn't that interesting. I'll probably just farm my dailies to hit 80.

Fine, if it helps me hard counter and kill Sombra I’ll be happy about this change.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    so uh, where is Questwatch? Or is this 4v1 it?

Questwatch is the seasonal theme. If there were an RPG mode or something they would have announced it.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    gd mei blows, why did they do this?

Pailryder wrote: »
    why did they do this?

This reflects my feeling towards a lot of Overwatch 2's choices. In this thirty-two part post, I will...

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s okay, they’ll fix it all when they suddenly switch over to Overwatch 3! Tighter teams of 4 heroes apiece, with a tactical RPG mode coming soon*.

edited June 2023
    Why are there three fucking tiers for the battle pass? I can kind of get two, one basic premium, and one with extra skins and the level skip. A random third one with the level skips but no skins makes it feel a lot more scammy in case I didn’t already feel that way playing the game in general now a days.

Edit: That said, the theme this season is going to be my kryptonite.

LostNinja on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It must be uniquely demoralizing for a passionate individual developer to try to continue making worthwhile content for a game in an environment where the executives in charge of the product are very plainly trying to squeeze as much money out of it as quickly as possible before it dies.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    You won’t get access to the Story Missions for free at all during the Invasion season.

Yeeeep. That's exactly what I was afraid of.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Overwatch 2 is fine - absolutely fine - in that Bobby Kotick's compensation package will be very rewarding regardless of the game's fate.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nah, I wouldn’t pay Blizzard with somebody else’s credit card

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    LOL, finally learned about Cass's grenade change and no lie my immediate thought was "somehow flashback returned, only the sequel's way worse."

So basically, any tank that uses skills and lacks a Nope button is useless. Cool.

Cool Cool Cool.

Add Cass to the list previously held by Widow/Mei/Zen.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    You won’t get access to the Story Missions for free at all during the Invasion season.

And Icing on the cake if any friends want to play with you, every single member has to have purchased the battlepack as well, no "host only" stuff either.

ArcTangent wrote: »

And Icing on the cake if any friends want to play with you, every single member has to have purchased the battlepack as well, no "host only" stuff either.

Somewhere a spreadsheet exists that illustrates how permitting a host to grant access to their economically-challenged friends would not increase executive bonuses at Activision. And that's that.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This is just so gross.

It's multiplayer only.
    It's only sold in a bundle with ingame currency and skins. There's no way to buy JUST the missions.

Kinda figure if they were invested in the longevity of the game they would have at least thrown these ones out for free to try to gain back some goodwill after the previous PvE announcement.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Seriously, "the first one's free" is a thing for a reason, Blizz! I can't fathom* why they wouldn't let the first one be free, at least for the season it's released during. Why should anyone trust Blizz enough to buy this PvE experience sight unseen? Their past PvE experiences have not engendered any sort of confidence in their ability to deliver.

*I can fathom it, it's greed

Cruor on
    How many missions is it? Like 3? I think I heard it quoted that each mission is roughly 30 minutes of playtime. So that's like 90 minutes of total playtime for $15. Doesn't seem like very good value when entire video games with 20+ hours of gameplay are sold for $60.

The time to dollar value isn't there. At all. Not even a little bit.

Even Call of Duty, which has notoriously short campaigns (usually about 7-10 hours), have better value than that if you only consider the campaign and nothing else.

Yeah but you have to consider that Call of Duty is made my the triple-A multibillion dollar company Activision-Blizzard.

Overwatch is made by the scrappy upstart indie Activision-Blizzard.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Def feeling the tracer nerfs and need to adjust. Prob have to be braver and get closer/take more risks to secure kills.

I do not love the Cass grenade change, prob because I am not a good flickscan. On the upside, hanzo and widow nerfs feel very good.

Mei has always been satan and always will be. Don’t @ me.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    How many missions is it? Like 3? I think I heard it quoted that each mission is roughly 30 minutes of playtime. So that's like 90 minutes of total playtime for $15. Doesn't seem like very good value when entire video games with 20+ hours of gameplay are sold for $60.

The time to dollar value isn't there. At all. Not even a little bit.

Even Call of Duty, which has notoriously short campaigns (usually about 7-10 hours), have better value than that if you only consider the campaign and nothing else.

Yeah but once you buy it it's yours for life*.

*for life defined as "until Blizzard decides to yank it"

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    This is just so gross.

It's multiplayer only.
    It's only sold in a bundle with ingame currency and skins. There's no way to buy JUST the missions.

And since you need people to play with, if you don't get it now, you won't have anybody to play them with.

For like, the Archives, once a year, for a couple weeks, do some story stuff, some minor extra bells and whistles to get you to come back and play it again. Limitation as part of an event makes it special and encourages people to come back to it, even if just briefly. What's the motivation to do so two months from release when the little hype is gone and the mode is an utter wasteland?

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    I don't want to deny anyone's feelings on it, but just my two cents: I think it's completely fair. The battle passes are cheap for the amount of value I get out of the game over a period of 9 weeks. They're charging $5 for the first piece of the campaign, which seems reasonable to me. If they had delivered the entirety of OW2's initial vision, it probably would have been $40 for the full campaign + hero missions. All things considered, I have zero issue paying for entertainment and I don't find it scummy to charge for content, so long as PvP gameplay content remains free.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I guess what's so galling about it is that for literal YEARS, PVE content was the free "hook" that got you into the PVP to buy the skins and whatnot. They could have continued to do that and just splashed more skins with the PVE content or a longer battlepass and I think people would have been less angry than this.

Hell, even if, as @Cruor mentioned, they at least made this first pack of missions free, it would be more well received. But no. They completely walled it off in its paid corner. So does this mean all PVE missions going forward are now under this paid model? Only the legacy PVE missions up to this point are now free? Like that is a pretty darn heinous price point for something that used to be free. $15 for roughly 1-2 hours of content give or take is just asinine now matter how you slice it.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Wow, $15 for permanent access to 3 glorified Archives type events?

And giving Cass a homing “fuck you” to anybody with a mobility special? Including Tracer, who they decided to spring a massive legendary skin set in the store for?

I’m actually impressed.

Judging from the Game Informer article, these missions are on very large bespoke maps, with full cutscenes etc. They said one mission was 30 minutes long. The PvE event will be free in the Archives style - that's the extent of the PvE content that they were ever going to put out for free.

IMO, cancelling an in development game or feature is not something that requires an apology in the form of financial compensation. This release has less content then was initially revealed (I'm reluctant to say "promised"), so it costs less. This is all just completely normal stuff and I think people are transferring their anger onto things that in any other game would be very innocuous.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I mean, we’ll see when the event opens up, I’m really curious just how many people are going to buy these and play them after the event is over.

Acti-Blizzard had burned a lot of goodwill over the past several months, so I can’t begrudge people for holding onto their anger.

Zek wrote: »
    I don't want to deny anyone's feelings on it, but just my two cents: I think it's completely fair. The battle passes are cheap for the amount of value I get out of the game over a period of 9 weeks. They're charging $5 for the first piece of the campaign, which seems reasonable to me. If they had delivered the entirety of OW2's initial vision, it probably would have been $40 for the full campaign + hero missions. All things considered, I have zero issue paying for entertainment and I don't find it scummy to charge for content, so long as PvP gameplay content remains free.

Battle Passes are never fair. They are specifically designed to favor the corporation, not the consumer.

First of all, it's a grind. You are buying a grind. You are not buying access to a product. You are buying access to grind to unlock a product. That's a big difference and an important one. To compound this first point, the grind is specifically designed to be tedious and arduous and not-sustainable for the average user, which is why they also sell battlepass shortcuts for even more money. So if you're an average gamer with a job and maybe a family and you have 3-6 hours of gaming time per week, the default battlepass is definitely NOT a fair purchase for you the consumer. So then they gauge you for more money because you don't have enough free time to complete the grind that they sold you.

Second point. Battlepasses are constant and never-ending. They expect you to buy one every time. So they're not just asking for $15 dollars now. They're asking for $15 every 9 weeks, since that's the length of an Overwatch season. After 4 battlepasses, you have paid the price of a full video game. But did you get a full video game for that price? No. You got a series of 4 sets of grinds doing the same exact thing each time.

Third point. The battlepass doesn't even get you everything on offer. On top of selling you the standard battlepass, or the accelerated battlepass if you aren't able to commit to 60 hours per week of gaming, they also are selling even more skins and such.

No, the battlepass is not fair. Not to the consumer. You are paying them for the privilege of grinding a bunch of meaningless challenges, which are designed to keep people engaged and playing for as absolutely long as possible, while simultaneously drip feeding rewards rather than just selling you the rewards outright. And it isn't even all the rewards. It's just some of the rewards.

Nobody wrote: »
    Wow, $15 for permanent access to 3 glorified Archives type events?

And giving Cass a homing “fuck you” to anybody with a mobility special? Including Tracer, who they decided to spring a massive legendary skin set in the store for?

I’m actually impressed.

I remember when Hollow Knight launched. You paid twenty bucks, got 120 minutes of gameplay and then they gave you the generous option of replaying those opening minutes of the game, ad infinitum, until months later when they released the next ninety minutes of content for the low-low price of five bucks per half-hour!

What lucky gamers we were then, and are now! Or am I... confusing it with something else 🤔 hmmmmm

Y'know what? I'm starting to wonder if games like Call of Duty or Halo even split up their campaigns into easy-to-buy fifteen dollar chunks like this? Where's their disrespect for the consumer? Do they even care about their executives' bonuses?

No, the battlepass is not fair. Not to the consumer. You are paying them for the privilege of grinding a bunch of meaningless challenges, which are designed to keep people engaged and playing for as absolutely long as possible, while simultaneously drip feeding rewards rather than just selling you the rewards outright. And it isn't even all the rewards. It's just some of the rewards.

And the best stuff's exclusive to the store! For a limited time only!

Chance wrote: »

And the best stuff's exclusive to the store! For a limited time only!

Well yeah, gotta cash in on the FOMO!

edited June 2023
    It’s obvious they don’t believe in their game anymore and have put the Overwatch brand in the juicer to squeeze what they can out of it before it’s completely dead

joshofalltrades on
    I saw a quote somewhere that went something like this:

"The rule 34 community cares more about Overwatch than Blizzard does."