As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    They're refusing to scrim against Seoul. They've said they'll play the actual games (otherwise they'd have to forfeit and eat losses). Honestly, it sucks for both sides because SBB is right, but the Chinese teams don't really have a choice. They either condemn him or get fucked by the Chinese government.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    They're refusing to scrim against Seoul. They've said they'll play the actual games (otherwise they'd have to forfeit and eat losses). Honestly, it sucks for both sides because SBB is right, but the Chinese teams don't really have a choice. They either condemn him or get fucked by the Chinese government.

Another reason for blizz to support the player. If even e-sports teams are de facto mouthpieces for the Chinese government, then Chinese orgs need to pay the price for cooperating with an autocratic government. Otherwise, china can essentially dictate speech policy for the entire league.

The irony of China trying to punish SBB for opposing censorship should not be lost on anyone.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    getting an old accounts support sr out of diamond, go up 500sr with an 80% winrate on zen only, get the avoid warning with multiple games of people complaining about the pick the entire game

people literally have no idea what is happening in their games its actually incredible

"b-but u didnt go lucio, we lose" no friend its diamond literally nothing matters just shut up and play ur dude. people legit tilt themselves out of spawn before anything has even happened because of a fantasy version of the game in their head

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    getting an old accounts support sr out of diamond, go up 500sr with an 80% winrate on zen only, get the avoid warning with multiple games of people complaining about the pick the entire game

people literally have no idea what is happening in their games its actually incredible

"b-but u didnt go lucio, we lose" no friend its diamond literally nothing matters just shut up and play ur dude. people legit tilt themselves out of spawn before anything has even happened because of a fantasy version of the game in their head

yup. especially when they're shocked when zen healed a ton of dmg that they were too oblivious to notice.

• Options
    4 stack on my team throwing and throwing around racial slurs in all chat. Everyone reported but they responded with “we’ll just switch to another account.”

Great system, blizz.

• Options
    Are they loosening matchmaking? Cuz I had a tank about 550 SR lower in a match and he basically handed the other team the victory on a silver platter.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    when a lobby has taken a while to form they expand matchmaking brackets

i see top 500 and diamond tanks together a reasonably large amount rn especially at weird hours (this is most common with tanks cos tank pop is the lowest cos role is terrible)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'll never forget one of my favorite Ranked interactions. Quite a few seasons ago.

Diamond game

My Team: "Let's go dive."

Me: "I mean I can play D.Va but do any of you know how to play dive."

My Team: "Naw, not really."

Me: "Then why are we going dive?"

Folks are slaves to metas they don't even understand. One of the many reasons I don't play ranked anymore.

• Options
    "we need lucio"

"you are playing hog sigma"

"bap lucio is meta"

"ur playing hog sigma into yznsa on gibraltar"

^ actual conversation i had a couple months ago in a 4.2k lobby. everybody is mad

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Had one of those games that make you wonder about humanity.

Had a mccree with a mercy pocket who literally healed, boosted, and rezzed no one but mccree. Our team lost, obviously, because we were horribly starved for healing (top healing on the team was Ana, with 23%).

Somehow, the entire team blamed...me? Even though I had said literally nothing other than gl hf. It got ugly (racism, homophobia, etc) enough I left voice and muted/reported my entire team.

The fact that I have to mentally prepare myself for this kind of abuse before every game is an indictment of blizzard’s design.

• Options
    On the upside, got paired against that mccree/mercy duo a couple games later and dumpstered them. My team won easily and I got 30 final blows and 37% team dmg as junkrat.....without a pocket and without being an asshole.

• Options
    this is one of the more 2cp games of 2cp i have ever played many twists and turns

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    man my zen orbs are like a handicapped child compared to these

• Options
    edited May 2021
    wait somebody actually submitted a clip of mine to noobhunter and it got on which is kind of nice (its at 9:50 if embed fails)

https://youtu.be/-oocLVFVzzQ?t=587

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmZrs7lg5U

"Developer Update: Check in next week for a developer update."

Great update, guys.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Aaron should have done another take, he looked stiff there like he was reading from a script and had no idea what he was talking about. That's right, I did the Iggy!

So next week a patch/experiment if we're lucky. That probably won't address the real issues and just make support more dominant than before.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So we're not going to be getting "Hey guys, this is Aaron from the Overwatch team" then

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's probably not as catchy anyway, a complete downgrade

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Placements are riddled with throwers and trolls. What a great time.

Edit: literally 3 throwers last game, 2 with racial slurs in their battle tags. Doing a bang up job, blizz.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet money a bunch of those tags come from call of duty accounts as well (as someone who plays call of duty on a semi-daily basis)

• Options
    I love getting blamed for not tanking when neither of our supports healed more than 20% against their hog/Zarya without dive.

Our zen and Ana stood safe in the back, missing shots and not putting out orbs while everyone died, and had the fucking nerve to rant at me for not tanking properly.

I literally stood in front of our Ana at 100 health for 5 seconds for healing, never got any, and got screamed at for feeding.

And yea, I counted the seconds because, well, I died if I swung, so the only play was shield up and try to reposition while getting healed. I had time to count as they wore down my shield and my health never moved up.

• Options
    That kind of tank experience is particularly tilting because a tank has zero agency without healing. None. It didn't matter how good the other tank was because he had healing and I didn't. There was no outplay potential, no chance to clutch. I could only ask for help from my support (which was incredibly easy for him to give) and pray that he could pull off the most basic of plays.

Instead, in the kill cam, our ana was ignoring me and trying (and failing) to heal our echo across the map who was at 75% health, then throwing a nade into a monkey bubble.

That's why the tank queue is so long. It's fucking painful and tilting to play the role a gigantic % of the time.

If they want to fix queue imbalance, they need to revisit the tank experience top to bottom. It's been obvious for a while, but it keeps getting worse over time because people burn out on such an unfulfilling role.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah, had something like that the other night. (in qp) playing rein to try and help my team push forward on blizzworld. getting nowhere because i'm not getting any heals, dps ana and dps baptiste. so i switch to hog to at least maybe give our dps some advantage by getting a pick. Which I do and then the ana is complaining that we need real tanks. fortunately the dps spoke up and mentioned that the rein wasn't getting heals so i had switched. i think there are plenty of idiots but there are also other people that notice, they are just staying silent because it gains them nothing to engage. It was nice to have someone actual realize what was going on though that wasn't directly involved.

• Options
    People don't talk on Xbox, it's very rare even in comp, but in the past week or two since the archive event it's been one or two loud people in almost every other game ranting about the state of OW. That's a warning sign to me on top of the queue times. People are getting fed up and I'd say after five years they're running out of goodwill with even the most loyal of players. When the person talking actually makes it a point to not blame anyone on the team but just wanted to vent and cuss out heroes, that's the one thing that makes the broken matchmaking stomps feel better.

That they didn't even offer a simple patch this week of needed things (revert McCree and Sym to 200hp, nerf Bap's anything), and having to do an update saying there's an update, I think Jeff leaving was more of a shock than they'll let on.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Yeah I think this whole we're gonna wait until OW2 for big updates made more sense when everyone thought it was coming out in 2021 but things are a bit stale not gonna lie.

Not even on the hero front just in general.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah I think this whole we're gonna wait until OW2 for big updates made more sense when everyone thought it was coming out in 2021 but things are a bit stale not gonna lie.

The really worrying thing to me is that it's a pretty big sign that their philosophy towards the game hasn't changed. Even on its release, it wasn't great about updates, player engagement, etc. Far better than its natural predecessors (ie TF2), but one map, one hero, and one event each every three months pales in comparison to what Fortnite, its main competition that absolutely decimated its streamer and more grassroots audience, was doing. And Overwatch's strength and what the devs kept talking up was the world, the lore, and the characters, but nothing that was hinted or teased ever materialized.

Even now with OW2, instead of talking up and teasing that kind of stuff, they're focusing on mainly technical details. We updated the gun sounds. Ragdoll physics are better. There will be weather particle effects. The workshop will have more options. Like, okay, that stuff is I guess technically neat, but it doesn't get people excited and playing the way a big cinematic or crossover event or just arbitrarily massively shaking up the meta for lore reasons just to shake things up.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The really worrying thing to me is that it's a pretty big sign that their philosophy towards the game hasn't changed. Even on its release, it wasn't great about updates, player engagement, etc. Far better than its natural predecessors (ie TF2), but one map, one hero, and one event each every three months pales in comparison to what Fortnite, its main competition that absolutely decimated its streamer and more grassroots audience, was doing. And Overwatch's strength and what the devs kept talking up was the world, the lore, and the characters, but nothing that was hinted or teased ever materialized.

Even now with OW2, instead of talking up and teasing that kind of stuff, they're focusing on mainly technical details. We updated the gun sounds. Ragdoll physics are better. There will be weather particle effects. The workshop will have more options. Like, okay, that stuff is I guess technically neat, but it doesn't get people excited and playing the way a big cinematic or crossover event or just arbitrarily massively shaking up the meta for lore reasons just to shake things up.

Fortnite is a ridiculously huge success and they grind their developers to death putting out that amount of content. Overwatch's pace of development was above average for an online game until the characters stopped I'd say.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Fortnite and Overwatch are completely different in every way that matters and if the OW devs see Fortnite as their competition then they've already lost

• Options
    edited May 2021
    OW and Fortnite don't have much in common tbh.

I'm sure there is some overlap in audience if you boil it down to "likes shooting games" but OW is more a mix of traditional shooter and MOBA.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Our ball: rolling off the map over and over again
    My teammates: we lost because you didn’t go Mei

• Options
    Next game: in the neutral, our Ana walks directly at their roadhog without cover or a shield and tries to duel him. Gets hooked and dies. Complains about peel. Walks out of spawn, and instead of going behind our rein or staying safe on the side, walks at their roadhog, gets hooked, and dies.

Somehow, this is the dps’ fault.

Ana: but I have gold healing!

Team’s highest healing is 19%. Can we please provide players with the statistics that matter?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Can we please provide players with the statistics that matter?

Actually yeah, that's an interesting point. I enjoy collecting silvers/golds as much as the next guy, but surely we have enough collected data for the game that we could install a system where you can assign a more objective grade to someone to let them know how they're doing in the match. Like sure you have a gold medal for healing, but if both healers suck out loud maybe it would be more helpful to let mr. gold medal know that, objectively, he's more like a C- for healing at this point in time during a round with this character.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

Listen I'm not saying you lost cuz you didnt go Mei, but the correct choice is always to go Mei. Especially for the next 2 weeks or so.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

Sometimes I feel like you're leaving out a lot of pertinent information with these posts.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Zek wrote: »

Sometimes I feel like you're leaving out a lot of pertinent information with these posts.

The pertinent information was that one of our tanks was throwing (rolling off the map repeatedly) and yet some of my teammates thought my pick was the issue.

It’s mostly a commentary about how oblivious many players are and how their advice/complaints are useless and dumb.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Actually yeah, that's an interesting point. I enjoy collecting silvers/golds as much as the next guy, but surely we have enough collected data for the game that we could install a system where you can assign a more objective grade to someone to let them know how they're doing in the match. Like sure you have a gold medal for healing, but if both healers suck out loud maybe it would be more helpful to let mr. gold medal know that, objectively, he's more like a C- for healing at this point in time during a round with this character.

Yup. We have a lot of info about what stats translate to wins and medals are a completely useless metric (since you’re not competing against teammates but against the other team).

Many games make that stuff transparent by letting players see information like kills, deaths, damage, and healing for each player. That way, it would be easy to see if the “we don’t have enough x” is actually true (and also make clear if a player is throwing/massively underperforming, like a roadhog with a minuscule hook accuracy).

Coaches use this info for scrims because it is helpful. Some of my favorites are dmg received and healing received because they can clarify where resources are going and if the allocation makes sense or is being wasted.

Edit: for example, if a Winston is receiving a ton of healing but isn’t doing dmg or contributing to kills, it means he’s feeding and starving the team for resources.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Yup. We have a lot of info about what stats translate to wins and medals are a completely useless metric (since you’re not competing against teammates but against the other team).

Many games make that stuff transparent by letting players see information like kills, deaths, damage, and healing for each player. That way, it would be easy to see if the “we don’t have enough x” is actually true (and also make clear if a player is throwing/massively underperforming, like a roadhog with a minuscule hook accuracy).

Coaches use this info for scrims because it is helpful. Some of my favorites are dmg received and healing received because they can clarify where resources are going and if the allocation makes sense or is being wasted.

Edit: for example, if a Winston is receiving a ton of healing but isn’t doing dmg or contributing to kills, it means he’s feeding and starving the team for resources.

I actually completely disagree that adding more stats would make players in a one-off ad hoc game improve their teamplay the way that it can for a cohesive team over the course of a series or season, but I'm in danger of crawling up my own ass in writing about it so I'll refrain.

But one thing we'd all do well to acknowledge is that medals do indeed suck at tracking what stats lead to wins or even good teamplay, because that's not why they're in the game. They're there to try and motivate you to do the things the game wants you to do by giving you a feel-good cookie and some extra XP at the end of the match. "This game is about dealing damage, staying on the point, and healing when you can. We should probably add some kind of mechanic to focus and reinforce that behavior, even if just a little." So yeah, no argument here that the medal system is bad for the game, because it makes it seem like it's doing when thing when it's actually there to do something completely different.

• Options
    The thing is I would say that the stats that are given to us now are excellent tools for identifying symptoms of a problem play, but identifying the cause tends to be several layers deeper than the "X, therefore Y" equation that most players have in their heads.

• Options
    i dont think theres any stats u could add that would be used in a constructive way

in fact literally any information about other players will be used, almost exclusively, as a way to blame shift based on how they are used in every other multiplayer game (or even how open profiles are used in overwatch - the classic "go back 7 seasons and see somebody was diamond and flame them" move)

obF2Wuw.png